2015-2016 Morehouse School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any rejections yet from this school?

From what it seems, they send out II in batches? (please correct if I'm wrong) Hoping to be in the next batch since I was complete 09/01 and most who received IIs seemed to be complete by the end of August. Fingers crossed!! I'd love to visit atlanta soon :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any rejections yet from this school?

I interviewed on September 4th... Still no word from MSM! I absolutely loved Atlanta by the way! Just got my 2015 mcat scores, looking more top tier now but I'd still love to go to MSM!

Just got the complete email today! Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if this school sends out pre-interview rejections?

Don't all schools?

Well, I should have said in a timely fashion. Meharry promptly sends out rejects pre-interview so you at least know where you stand. I wasn't sure if Morehouse was one of those schools that kept applications on file until the end of the cycle or sent out a pre-interview rejection relatively quickly, if the application is not competitive.

Did anyone get the follow up email after the interview invitation email? They said they would send it 24-48 hrs after the first one but I still haven't gotten it

Did anyone get the follow up email after the interview invitation email? They said they would send it 24-48 hrs after the first one but I still haven't gotten it

Nope....20+ days and counting. Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a letter in the mail with more information. I was told to email some guy to confirm that I would be attending the interview - which I did. I never got a reply to that, though.

secondary submitted Sept 25 and still no word :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::shrug:

No, I never received a follow up email either. Just the letter via snail mail.

I got a letter in the mail with more information. I was told to email some guy to confirm that I would be attending the interview - which I did. I never got a reply to that, though.
Yeah, I emailed Mr. Hunter to confirm my interview and never received a reply. I called the number from the letter like a week later, and a gentleman in admissions said he would mark me as confirmed. Sooo, you may want to give them a call.

Yeah, I emailed Mr. Hunter to confirm my interview and never received a reply. I called the number from the letter like a week later, and a gentleman in admissions said he would mark me as confirmed. Sooo, you may want to give them a call.
Oh okay. Sounds good! Thanks for letting me know!

Does anyone want to describe what to expect on the day of ? Sample questions during the interview, format, etc..

Complete since 8/7 . Does anyone know if there is still a chance for a II or they are just holding my application for the end for sure . :/

Does anyone want to describe what to expect on the day of ? Sample questions during the interview, format, etc..

Just interviewed yesterday. They interviewed about 12-13 of us. Very relaxed environment; everyone that walked by us kept telling us to relax haha. The day starts at 10 AM (get there by 9 obviously). They had us sit in on a class for that morning which was cool.

They took us to a conference room and pulled us out one and two at a time; interviews were separate but it seemed each interviewer had two people. It's open file and they more or less go through it asking about this and that. They'll throw in the iconic "why medicine" question, ask you other things like identifying a problem in society, or ask you an ethics questions like what would you do if you caught a classmate cheating.

After the first interview, they had lunch for us back in the conference room and had a presentation on the curriculum and tid-bits about financial aid. Then two MS2's gave us a tour of the campus and we had to chance to ask questions and such; they were really chill and honest about MSM. Our second interview followed after the tour; some questions were similar, some different but it was much the same format.

Post-interviews ,they took us to Grady Hospital (fifth-largest public hospital in the US, as well as one of the busiest Level I trauma centers in the country) and a MS4 gave us a pretty good tour. After the tour, we came back to campus and they saw us off.

Total time, 9AM-4PM. Long day, get good sleep and wear comfortable shoes haha. Very nurturing environment; low stress. Even watching interactions between professors and students, it seems that they REALLY want you to succeed. I'm sold; now I'm sitting on my thumbs ;D

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just interviewed yesterday. They interviewed about 12-13 of us. Very relaxed environment; everyone that walked by us kept telling us to relax haha. The day starts at 10 AM (get there by 9 obviously). They had us sit in on a class for that morning which was cool.

They took us to a conference room and pulled us out one and two at a time; interviews were separate but it seemed each interviewer had two people. It's open file and they more or less go through it asking about this and that. They'll throw in the iconic "why medicine" question, ask you other things like identifying a problem in society, or ask you an ethics questions like what would you do if you caught a classmate cheating.

After the first interview, they had lunch for us back in the conference room and had a presentation on the curriculum and tid-bits about financial aid. Then two MS2's gave us a tour of the campus and we had to chance to ask questions and such; they were really chill and honest about MSM. Our second interview followed after the tour; some questions were similar, some different but it was much the same format.

Post-interviews they took us to Grady Hospital (fifth-largest public hospital in the US, as well as one of the busiest Level I trauma centers in the country) and a MS4 gave us a pretty good tour. After the tour, we came back to campus and they saw us off.

Total time, 9AM-4PM. Long day, get good sleep and wear comfortable shoes haha. Very nurturing environment; low stress. Even watching interactions between professors and students, it seems that they REALLY want you to succeed. I'm sold; now I'm sitting on my thumbs ;D
Would you be so kind to share the racial demographics of the interviewees? Since MSM is a HB college and I am mixed race. Thank you so much! Hope I did not offend anyone.

Last edited:
Would you be so kind to share the racial demographics of the interviewees? Since MSM is a HB college and I am mixed race. Thank you so much! Hope I did not offend anyone.
I was wondering the same thing! I looked for a class profile but there isn't much info

Sure, I don't mind at all and I hope I don't offend anyone. Out of of our group there were three guys including me; the rest were ladies. The ladies were a mix of black (majority of the ladies), african, hispanic, and mixed (not sure of their mixed heritage). The three guys were black, asian, and white. We were a really good group; I enjoyed spending the day with them.

@apuli09

Reactions: 2 users

Post-interviews ,they took us to Grady Hospital (fifth-largest public hospital in the US, as well as one of the busiest Level I trauma centers in the country) and a MS4 gave us a pretty good tour. After the tour, we came back to campus and they saw us off.

Thanks so much! This was quite helpful, I interview there next month so I just wanted a heads up! Were both interviews one-on-one ?

I'm a little confused by how to submit the picture form. Is it only through mail, or can it be via email also?

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't read the instructions clearly.

For those of you who have interviewed here already, how long does the interview day last and what does the itinerary look like?

For those of you who have interviewed here already, how long does the interview day last and what does the itinerary look like?

Scroll up a few posts...I laid it all out

I have a transportation question for all you ATL people - what would be the best way to get from the airport to my hotel (near Morehouse)? Cost is my main concern, so I was going to take MARTA, but Thrillist really sh*ts on it. Would the ride be that bad? Google says that MARTA would take 20min and a car (I guess I'd use Uber) would take 15, but I'm also reading a lot about terrible Atlanta traffic. Please advise.

@parachichi I wouldn't do MARTA lol. Get an Uber. & if your flight is landing at night, I DEFINITELY wouldn't do Marta

@parachichi I wouldn't do MARTA lol. Get an Uber. & if your flight is landing at night, I DEFINITELY wouldn't do Marta
K thanks, I might just Uber it. I'll be traveling at rush hour (4:30 or 5), but I'll also be carrying luggage and will be traveling alone. My hotel is next to the Five Points station which I've read is a little rougher. Always trying to save cash though!

hi everyone! so i submitted my secondary to Morehouse two fridays ago. When I got to the final submission page, I was confused about the directions regarding how to mail in letters of recommendation and a photo of yourself and all of that....don't they get my letters of rec through AMCAS? and do we have to physically mail them a photo of ourselves?

@parachichi

haha. MARTA isn't bad at all and it's definitely doable during the day but I'm slightly biased as I went to undergrad in ATL and am thoroughly familiar with the city. Everyone takes it all the time to get to and from the airport. I would strongly suggest an uber getting to Morehouse on interview day though as it's kind of far from either of the closest stations. Also, Morehouse itself isn't in the best neighborhood and can be a bit disorienting for those who aren't used to the area but the community is very benign.

hi everyone! so i submitted my secondary to Morehouse two fridays ago. When I got to the final submission page, I was confused about the directions regarding how to mail in letters of recommendation and a photo of yourself and all of that....don't they get my letters of rec through AMCAS? and do we have to physically mail them a photo of ourselves?

yea, the instructions are dated. They have all your info and you don't need to send in a photo although you could if you wanted to...

@parachichi

haha. MARTA isn't bad at all and it's definitely doable during the day but I'm slightly biased as I went to undergrad in ATL and am thoroughly familiar with the city. Everyone takes it all the time to get to and from the airport. I would strongly suggest an uber getting to Morehouse on interview day though as it's kind of far from either of the closest stations. Also, Morehouse itself isn't in the best neighborhood and can be a bit disorienting for those who aren't used to the area but the community is very benign.
Thanks for your response, too. I'm no stranger to public transit, so I guess I'll just see how I'm feeling when I fly in!

Edit: I also scoped out some BBQ places in the area as I've never been to the South before and want to test my uncle's famous ribs against the real thing. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks for your response, too. I'm no stranger to public transit, so I guess I'll just see how I'm feeling when I fly in!

Edit: I also scoped out some BBQ places in the area as I've never been to the South before and want to test my uncle's famous ribs against the real thing. Any suggestions welcome.

Fox Bros is amazing. It's in Little Five Points. Atlanta isn't really big on BBQ though, at least not in my experience. Atlanta is more known for "soul-food". If you're interested, try Busy Bee's (around the corner from Morehouse), Mary Mac's Tea Room (midtown), or Gladys Knight's chicken and waffles (midtown; closer to where you're staying).

Reactions: 2 users
Fox Bros is amazing. It's in Little Five Points. Atlanta isn't really big on BBQ though, at least not in my experience. Atlanta is more known for "soul-food". If you're interested, try Busy Bee's (around the corner from Morehouse), Mary Mac's Tea Room (midtown), or Gladys Knight's chicken and waffles (midtown; closer to where you're staying).
Mouth is watering, thank youuu. :hungry::bow:

Thanks so much for sharing this! No one has really described the interview day like this (not even on last year's thread). I appreciate it.
Was anything mentioned about when interviewees would receive a decision?

has anybody received any interview invites lately?

For those who have already interviewed, where you asked anything about insurance or Obamacare? Anything about health policy, in general?

I got an II on 10/2 and I'm a little concerned because I haven't received the formal invitation in the mail yet. Was there a time limit or a deadline to confirm the interview date? Pleaasee let me know.