2015-2016 Morehouse School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Applying this year. LizzyM 62, non-urm, oos. Let's see how this goes!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
URM - OOS - Non Trad Submitted! Good luck to everyone

URM. Already sent my app in! Good luck to you all

Forgive me, but what is "URM?"

Underrepresented minority, IE hispanic, african american, native american

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the secondary prompt from last year?

Does anyone know the secondary prompt from last year?
Essay Topics ('14 - '15)
Type a statement setting forth the key motivational factors in your decision to apply to Morehouse and any information about yourself you feel would be of interest to the Committee on Admission in the consideration of your application. Please keep the response to about one page.

For those that have been verified by AMCAS, has anyone received an email from Morehouse, stating that your primary app has been received?

For those that have been verified by AMCAS, has anyone received an email from Morehouse, stating that your primary app has been received?
I've been verified but have not received an email yet.

I believe you have to mail in a photo but I have to go back and check to be sure

Briefly, explain the reasons for your selections in item #12:
How in depth are you guys going for this question? I don't want to sound redundant or take away ideas from my main essay at the end.

ITEM 12 . Identify the one type of medical career listed below to which you may wish to devote the majority ofyour professional efforts:
Primary Care Other Specialty Care
Research and/or Teaching Undecided
b. Indicate the character of medical practice you presently contemplate:
Individual Partnership Private Group Hospital-based Group
Academic-based Group Public Health Industrial Undecided
c. What percent of your professional time do you anticipate devoting to:
Administration %
Teaching %
Patient care %
Research %
d. In which size community do you think you would like to practice?
Large metropolitan (100,000 people or more)
Small city (50,000 - 99,999) Large town (10,000 - 49,999) Small town, rural area, reservation (1,000 - 9,999) Undecided

--------------
Type a statement setting forth the key motivational factors in your decision to apply to Morehouse and any information about yourself you feel would be of interest to the Committee on Admission in the consideration of your application. Please keep the response to about one page. (You may want to type your answer in a Word Processor while you are off-line and paste your response here

ITEM 12 . Identify the one type of medical career listed below to which you may wish to devote the majority ofyour professional efforts:
Primary Care Other Specialty Care
Research and/or Teaching Undecided
b. Indicate the character of medical practice you presently contemplate:
Individual Partnership Private Group Hospital-based Group
Academic-based Group Public Health Industrial Undecided
c. What percent of your professional time do you anticipate devoting to:
Administration %
Teaching %
Patient care %
Research %
d. In which size community do you think you would like to practice?
Large metropolitan (100,000 people or more)
Small city (50,000 - 99,999) Large town (10,000 - 49,999) Small town, rural area, reservation (1,000 - 9,999) Undecided

Your answer should be very concise for each choice, then implement your choices with your essay to align with the school mission.

How in depth are you guys going for this question? I don't want to sound redundant or take away ideas from my main essay at the end.
Is there a character/word limit for this section?
And do they set it up so that each selection is separate or do you summarize all selections in one area?

it is in one area. Item 12 comprises all the answers of questions a, b, c, and d. After that question they ask to explain the reason of your chosises

Not URM, but received secondary. Anyone know if they screen?

OOS...adding this school to my primary :happy:

Can someone please tell me what is the secondary application fee? Is the secondary paper or electronic?

OOS...adding this school to my primary :happy:

Can someone please tell me what is the secondary application fee? Is the secondary paper or electronic?

$50 - The secondary is online, but they do include a picture request form that you can submit by post or email. Good luck!

Hey guys,

I hope the application cycle is going well. I just have a question about the final page on Morehouse School of Medicine's secondary application. The section about a faculty appraisal is completely new to me. I asked a couple of my friends that are med school if they knew what that was. They all said no. Could someone please help explain as to what is expected from the faculty appraisal? Essentially, what is the faculty appraisal?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I hope the application cycle is going well. I just have a question about the final page on Morehouse School of Medicine's secondary application. The section about a faculty appraisal is completely new to me. I asked a couple of my friends that are med school if they knew what that was. They all said no. Could someone please help explain as to what is expected from the faculty appraisal? Essentially, what is the faculty appraisal?

Thanks
They mean letters of rec. Option A is for a committee letter, Option B is for three individual letters, and Option C is if you're a repeat applicant and you submitted letters to them last year.

@parachichi do you know what option to choose for committee letter + individual letters?
Ooh umm, no I don't know. I think they're expecting applicants to send either a committee letter OR three individual letters. I guess if I were in your shoes, I'd choose Option B and list out my recommenders' names. But you can always call and ask!

Does Morehouse SOM take Canadian students?

can someone explain how they submitted their picture? I am very confused...

can someone explain how they submitted their picture? I am very confused...
You print it out, passport style, no larger than 2x2, then glue it on the printed out picture form (could be found on the secondary application portal) and then e-mail it to

[email protected]

@MD/DO_2016 do you know if there is a way to upload the picture directly, without printing it out and pasting it? Like just send the file directly through email?

@MD/DO_2016 do you know if there is a way to upload the picture directly, without printing it out and pasting it? Like just send the file directly through email?
I just added the image in using PDF viewer, u can add images to PDFs, atleast on a mac I could