2018-2019 Morehouse School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, I submitted my secondary back in September. Today I got the complete email. These are strange times.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone remember if the $100 deposit is refundable if we decide not to matriculate prior to June 6? I feel like this was mentioned in my interview but I don't remember.

does anyone remember if the $100 deposit is refundable if we decide not to matriculate prior to June 6? I feel like this was mentioned in my interview but I don't remember.

No refunds will be processed after April 30th

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
does this school do ITA requests? I just got an II for another school in the Atlanta area but its super short notice so the interview is in a few days. is it worth a shot? im obsessed with this school so i would pull out all the stops for it.
Did this work out?

Did this work out?

Not really they replied and just said thanks and if we select you for an interview we will email you with the dates available so be on the look out. Idk if it’s just bc they don’t plan on giving me an II but they didn’t say “we don’t do that”

Not really they replied and just said thanks and if we select you for an interview we will email you with the dates available so be on the look out. Idk if it’s just bc they don’t plan on giving me an II but they didn’t say “we don’t do that”
Gotcha, it was worth a shot tho

Here's some Saturday info ferda:

At my interview on 2/8/19 we were told it's a type of rolling admissions and they interview up until March 29th. Also said was that each person interviewed - including the March date is given equal weight.

From the past and this cycle it looks like a 4-5 week turnaround.

-Pleb

Got accepted to my top choice. Just pulled my application. One less person on the waitlist. I hope all of you get accepted and good luck!

Reactions: 11 users
Is there any difference between wait-list and alternative status?

Does anybody know the chance of getting off the alternative list and when do they start pulling of the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know the chance of getting off the alternative list and when do they start pulling of the list?

50% chance. Should start pulling after interviews which end at the end of March. Best of luck :)

Thanks. Is the alternative list ranked?

Not that I’m aware of.

I would send a LOIntent if you really want to attend MSM. From previous years ,it’s been fruitful for a good amount of people who were on the WL and sent it.

Does MSM put everyone who got interviews, but did not get accepted in the first phase in the alternative list or select from the pool and reject some?

Thanks.

It’s definitely higher than a 50% chance, in previous years it’s been like a 70% chance

Is there an accepted student Facebook page? I saw there was one for last year's class, but none for this year.

That's awful! I'm so sorry you had a bad experience too :( and thank you so much!
so this was actually my second interview for the day. Morehouse's interview days are set up so that you spend an hour with a secondary interviewer and then an hour with a primary interviewer. The secondary interviewer is NOT on the admissions committee. They basically meet you, take notes on you, and give the notes to the primary interviewer. The primary interviewer reads through those notes, interviews you, and then votes with the committee. Sooo technically the only interview that matters is the second one but i dont know if we're supposed to know that? lol i hope that answers your question

Oh man. So I interviewed in mid-January (still waiting for a decision btw), and while my afternoon interviewer wasn't as harsh as yours, she definitely put the pressure on me as well. Only cracked a smile once (which I will take as a good thing, because I think she was actively trying not to smile at all, so I must have charmed her a little bit). Felt more like an interrogation, while the first one felt like a pleasant discussion. Disappointed to hear that the first interview holds less weight.

I also feel conflicted about the "good cop/ bad cop" tactic used in interviews. It's one thing to test us under stressful situations, but it's messed up to actively belittle the interviewer like that.

Oh man. So I interviewed in mid-January (still waiting for a decision btw), and while my afternoon interviewer wasn't as harsh as yours, she definitely put the pressure on me as well. Only cracked a smile once (which I will take as a good thing, because I think she was actively trying not to smile at all, so I must have charmed her a little bit). Felt more like an interrogation, while the first one felt like a pleasant discussion. Disappointed to hear that the first interview holds less weight.

I also feel conflicted about the "good cop/ bad cop" tactic used in interviews. It's one thing to test us under stressful situations, but it's messed up to actively belittle the interviewer like that.

At least your interviewer didn’t ask you about dates in history. I haven’t taken a history class in 4 years and I’ve never felt so stressed lol

At least your interviewer didn’t ask you about dates in history. I haven’t taken a history class in 4 years and I’ve never felt so stressed lol

My interviewer had a pin of his home country's flag. When he asked me if I recognized the country of the flag, I guessed completely wrong haha. A few people in my interview group had a similar experience with the history dates too lol.

My interviewer had a pin of his home country's flag. When he asked me if I recognized the country of the flag, I guessed completely wrong haha. A few people in my interview group had a similar experience with the history dates too lol.
Bruh WHAT? Lmao I really need a Morehouse Adcom insider to explain what the point of these particular questions are. Aside from trying to "throw people off", what is the point of just quizzing folks? Do we get a prize for answering correctly?

Bruh WHAT? Lmao I really need a Morehouse Adcom insider to explain what the point of these particular questions are. Aside from trying to "throw people off", what is the point of just quizzing folks? Do we get a prize for answering correctly?

Lol in all fairness, I think my interviewer was just trying to start conversation. I think some interviewers are just trying to break the ice. Even if you don't know the answer, it's okay to acknowledge that. Silly trivia questions aside, I had a great experience interviewing. :):)

Does anyone know when the next batch of news should be coming out? Past threads point to us being overdue

Lol in all fairness, I think my interviewer was just trying to start conversation. I think some interviewers are just trying to break the ice. Even if you don't know the answer, it's okay to acknowledge that. Silly trivia questions aside, I had a great experience interviewing. :):)
lol these questions were actually at the end of my interview! Thankfully, I got most of them right but some very vague questions were asked

My experience was completely different! Both of my interviewers were just trying to have a conversation with me. I think they tend to pair people up with interviewers that have a common background. I never got trivia questions but I think the trick is to show that you can get to an answer in a logical way. It's about showing your thought process to getting to the answer instead of just answering the question.

what are the chances of getting pulled off from the alternate? How helpful is a letter of intent?

Take that stat with a grain of salt, that's not from an official statement from the school. We are just going from previous cycle's stats, so nothing is concrete.
Yup, nothing is concrete and everything has changed.

Have they already sent out pre- interview rejections yet? I applied back in October

They've been sending pre-interview rejections throughout the cycle. You're still in the running. Interviews are conducted until the end of March this year. Good luck!

Does MSM put everyone who got interviews, but did not get accepted in the first phase in the alternative list or select from the pool and reject some? How about post-interview rejection?

Declined my interview invite. There were a bunch of dates throughout March. Hopefully, it goes to one of you!

Best of Luck

When was the civil war? Who wrote mei kempf? Who was the attorney general under Obama? Who's the current VP?

Does anyone know how often they release admissions decisions? I interviewed on February 8th!

I too interviewed on the 8th. It looks like a 4-6 week turnaround from past years - I'm hoping for a reply on the 15th of March!

-pleb

Does anyone know if we can still upload new letters of rec/if they will even be looked at? I know I won't be able to attach it to an update letter over email because that means I have viewed it. I might call the office but wanted to ask here first. Thanks!

Got accepted! Email came around 6:30. Good luck to everyone! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! Email came at 6:30 and interviewed Feb 6th!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!! Interviewed 2/22.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to everyone accepted! Hope to see you all as my future classmates! :):)

Accepted! Got an email around 6:30 today. Interviewed 2/8

UPDATE!

Just got accepted here!!!!
To be honest:
I'm overjoyed, and have been pacing and making phone calls. The school atmosphere is great and I will be accepting the offer tonight. I hope some from my group get in as well, and if not, good luck to them this round.

Interviewed 2/8/2019
LM ~68
Research chemist
OOS

-(Apparently) Dr. Pleb

P.S

I am on multiple waitlists and this was the only school I was yet to hear from and also tied for my first choice. Gosh, I hear so much about the tension relief and the burden taken off at this point ---- it's real! <3

UPDATE!

Just got accepted here!!!!
To be honest:
I'm overjoyed, and have been pacing and making phone calls. The school atmosphere is great and I will be accepting the offer tonight. I hope some from my group get in as well, and if not, good luck to them this round.

Interviewed 2/8/2019
LM ~68
Research chemist
OOS

-(Apparently) Dr. Pleb

P.S

I am on multiple waitlists and this was the only school I was yet to hear from and also tied for my first choice. Gosh, I hear so much about the tension relief and the burden taken off at this point ---- it's real! <3

Congratulations! It really lifts a weight from your shoulders when you receive your first acceptance! I felt the same way :)

Has anyone who interviewed in January heard back yet?