2015-2016 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would just write a very brief email to accept the alternate status to be prompt in your reply then send an LOI when you have that ready. But that is just my 2 cents, I have no idea what the right thing to do is! Anyone have a mayo alternate list survival guide?

Just briefly went through last year's forum and it looks like the majority of waitlist movement started after April 30. Some applicants got a letter from Dr. Bostwick saying that admissions were still interested and there was an additional email sent out to the waitlisted applicants who later got accepted. All kind of a confusing process hahah but hang in there everyone~

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait listed, but mayo is absolutely my top choice. Would the email in which I accept my spot on the waitlist be a good place to write my letter of intent too, or should I write my LOI email separately? Not sure what the LOI protocol is!

I think you're probably fine either way.

second look weekend sounds so awesome, especially getting to shadow doctors in the clinic. bummed I might not be able to make it

Members don't see this ad :)
second look weekend sounds so awesome, especially getting to shadow doctors in the clinic. bummed I might not be able to make it

Same. Price of the flight is double right now what it was when I flew out in December. Hopefully they'll fall in the next month and a half, as it's outside my budget right now. :(

Does anybody know what happens to those people who got letter requests but never heard anything after that? I'm guessing it's a rejection since interview season for Mayo is over.

Same. Price of the flight is double right now what it was when I flew out in December. Hopefully they'll fall in the next month and a half, as it's outside my budget right now. :(

I suspect prices will drop considerably (per the typical airline price trends). The three-week mark is a better indicator of pricing (from one Dec interviewee to another).

Reactions: 1 users
Also is it just me or did the mayo thread just get real gay!? lack of fellow queers is definitely my biggest concern about attending, though I think it is worth the sacrifice
Reading this way after the fact but Mayo has queers! We have an LGBTQIA brunch a few times a year and usually have anywhere from 2-5 people a year - our fall brunch had I think 11 people come. The nice thing about the small school is that we all get together within years so it's a nice way to connect with upper class folks. You can also join the Mayo employee LGBT group which helps put on Rochester pride. There's a trans health clinic at Mayo that just started this year, there was an intersex film series through the public library last year and as a first year you can design and facilitate a sexual health selective which usually 10-15 classmates will participate in. Dating gets a bad rap for anyone in Rochester, regardless of orientation but people find ways to make it happen. Hope that's useful!

Reactions: 4 users
Reading this way after the fact but Mayo has queers! We have an LGBTQIA brunch a few times a year and usually have anywhere from 2-5 people a year - our fall brunch had I think 11 people come. The nice thing about the small school is that we all get together within years so it's a nice way to connect with upper class folks. You can also join the Mayo employee LGBT group which helps put on Rochester pride. There's a trans health clinic at Mayo that just started this year, there was an intersex film series through the public library last year and as a first year you can design and facilitate a sexual health selective which usually 10-15 classmates will participate in. Dating gets a bad rap for anyone in Rochester, regardless of orientation but people find ways to make it happen. Hope that's useful!
That is encouraging, thanks! I definitely got the impression that there is a sweet little queer community at Mayo during my interview visit. I hadn't heard about the trans health clinic that is great to hear. Hopefully I'll get off the wait-list and can help queer up Mayo even more:)

That is encouraging, thanks! I definitely got the impression that there is a sweet little queer community at Mayo during my interview visit. I hadn't heard about the trans health clinic that is great to hear. Hopefully I'll get off the wait-list and can help queer up Mayo even more:)

Also sensed all the colors of the rainbow on my visit (just the way I like it)!

Anyone excited about second look? Can't wait to see Rochester in the spring!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secret: I'm scared of Rochester. It seems so isolated.
I will gladly take your place :happy:! Thanks from the alternate list!

But for real, I had similar fears but decided a small close knit community would be good for my academic success (or so I tell myself), think about your options and what you need to feel happy and productive as a student because 4 years can be a long time

Last edited:

I grew up in NY and have always loved big cities so I understand the feeling. I did go to college in a small town (smaller than Rochester) that was pretty isolated as well. I found that I actually liked the change and loved the community. That said, I did come back to NY after college. Although knowing that I also enjoyed the small town makes me not worried about Rochester at all. Also I've been told it's only about an hour/hour and 20 mins to Minneapolis, which isn't too far.

Just got "aphorisms" in the mail, along with a handwritten note. Mayo is super classy.

Reactions: 2 users
I grew up in NY and have always loved big cities so I understand the feeling. I did go to college in a small town (smaller than Rochester) that was pretty isolated as well. I found that I actually liked the change and loved the community. That said, I did come back to NY after college. Although knowing that I also enjoyed the small town makes me not worried about Rochester at all. Also I've been told it's only about an hour/hour and 20 mins to Minneapolis, which isn't too far.

That makes me feel a lot better; thanks man :)

Did you guys also get an email from your interviewer with an invite to stay for SLW? I am seriously falling for MMS

That's amazing :) Mayo is awesome
I didnt receive any of these emails/letters yet! Excited for them :)

Last edited:
Yes! I got an invite too. Glad to know I'm not the only one :)

I think it's fair to assume we will all be treated the same. That said, I'd imagine one might be glad to know they are indeed the only one. Either way, it is a wonderful gesture!

if you're from huge city, i can see where Rochester might seem a bit small. Having grown up in a pretty small and isolated town, I definitely wouldn't consider Rochester isolated though.

There's plenty to do if you're willing to look a bit. The twin cities are about an hour and a half give or take quite a bit depending on traffic and road construction. easy drive really.

I live in a big city (always have) and I didn't get the feeling that Rochester was all that isolated. Small, yes. Isolated, no. People seem to come from all corners of the world, and it appeared quite diverse to me. And the twin cities seem close enough. I actually really liked the "small town feel" in a medium city. I personally am excited to get out of a major US city and live in a place where I can afford a parking spot, a washer/dryer in unit, and maybe a yard. Oh, and it's nice when everyone knows each other. I can see why you'd be concerned, but I bet there's a lot that would alleviate any anxiety you might have.

I think it's fair to assume we will all be treated the same. That said, I'd imagine one might be glad to know they are indeed the only one. Either way, it is a wonderful gesture!

I do agree that it is a wonderfully kind and welcoming gesture; I just felt extra pressure to "have to impress" and still be on my toes even though I've already been accepted. Will you be staying with your interviewer?

I do agree that it is a wonderfully kind and welcoming gesture; I just felt extra pressure to "have to impress" and still be on my toes even though I've already been accepted. Will you be staying with your interviewer?

I think the anxiety/pressure to impress after gaining acceptance is really just a residua of the application process. You're in, and now it's time for them to impress you--that's the point they are trying to make with the personal invite to stay with your interviewer: it is a sign of respect for you, and a display of the highly personal and intimate culture of the school. Try and relax a bit; either way, you're going to be a doc!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Plane tickets now up over $500 for second look weekend, ouch. Still hoping they fall to something affordable soon, but not optimistic :(

Anyone excited about second look? Can't wait to see Rochester in the spring!

very excited! it's so cool that we get to shadow a Mayo Clinic doc and choose specialty areas of preference for shadowing! :love:

I think the anxiety/pressure to impress after gaining acceptance is really just a residua of the application process. You're in, and now it's time for them to impress you--that's the point they are trying to make with the personal invite to stay with your interviewer: it is a sign of respect for you, and a display of the highly personal and intimate culture of the school. Try and relax a bit; either way, you're going to be a doc!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

anyone else planning to stay with their interviewer?

For those of you thinking about second look and wondering what you do for entertainmant, here is an example of how to entertain yourself in a MN winter ...Full Moon Snowshoe, Sip, and Sample (my plans for the weekend). the description from my email confirmation:

"Hello Snowshoe, Sip, and Samplers!

We are looking forward to seeing you this weekend at the Oakdale Discovery Center and Nature Preserve! We have lined up a great selection of food samples from our local Indoor Market Artisans listed below. Dave from Brightwines in North St Paul will (as always) test your palette with a variety of new and unique wines he hand selects for this event. Stillwater’s Maple Island Brewing is looking forward to showing off four of their new brews. Also, be prepared to test your skills and challenge others with Boggle, Operation, Giant Jenga, Battleship, Kerplunk, Simon, Scrabble, and many others, plus a puzzle that must be completed by the end of the night in our Vintage Game Room!! We will be holding prize drawings every ½ hour starting at 8.

So….what about snowshoeing?? Rain, 40’s, and windy?? Don’t despair, as long as the rain is done, we will be lighting up a one mile, beautiful, paved loop of the Nature Center that will be lit by many twinkling luminaries as you enjoy your Full Moon meander. The temperatures will be in the 40’s, but the wind will make it feel much cooler, so dress in layers. We also recommend a flashlight or headlamp. The bonfire will be roaring, so make sure you stop by to roast a marshmallow and make a s’more or two. It will be dark, so no one will be counting. J Along with the beer and wine samples, we will also have Drogo Joe coffee, hot chocolate, and bottled water indoors."

So absolutely no need to get bored :)

Just got my "Aphorisms" in the mail! The note accompanying it is very touching and genuine. Man, how can one not go there after that kind of attention.

Now I also am watching plane flights every day so I can go to 2nd look!

For those of you thinking about second look and wondering what you do for entertainmant, here is an example of how to entertain yourself in a MN winter ...Full Moon Snowshoe, Sip, and Sample (my plans for the weekend). the description from my email confirmation:

"Hello Snowshoe, Sip, and Samplers!

We are looking forward to seeing you this weekend at the Oakdale Discovery Center and Nature Preserve! We have lined up a great selection of food samples from our local Indoor Market Artisans listed below. Dave from Brightwines in North St Paul will (as always) test your palette with a variety of new and unique wines he hand selects for this event. Stillwater’s Maple Island Brewing is looking forward to showing off four of their new brews. Also, be prepared to test your skills and challenge others with Boggle, Operation, Giant Jenga, Battleship, Kerplunk, Simon, Scrabble, and many others, plus a puzzle that must be completed by the end of the night in our Vintage Game Room!! We will be holding prize drawings every ½ hour starting at 8.

So….what about snowshoeing?? Rain, 40’s, and windy?? Don’t despair, as long as the rain is done, we will be lighting up a one mile, beautiful, paved loop of the Nature Center that will be lit by many twinkling luminaries as you enjoy your Full Moon meander. The temperatures will be in the 40’s, but the wind will make it feel much cooler, so dress in layers. We also recommend a flashlight or headlamp. The bonfire will be roaring, so make sure you stop by to roast a marshmallow and make a s’more or two. It will be dark, so no one will be counting. J Along with the beer and wine samples, we will also have Drogo Joe coffee, hot chocolate, and bottled water indoors."

So absolutely no need to get bored :)

That sounds like so much fun! For people with instagram - I started following the Rochester_MN instagram account and they post a lot of really great places in Rochester. Looking through that instagram account, it looks like there are a lot of cool restaurants, bars and coffee shops in Rochester.

So I'm actually super sad that I won't be able to make it to second look. Do you think they'll be offended if we can't make it? :/ as someone mentioned earlier, it seems they're putting a lot of pressure on us to come thru

That sounds like so much fun! For people with instagram - I started following the Rochester_MN instagram account and they post a lot of really great places in Rochester. Looking through that instagram account, it looks like there are a lot of cool restaurants, bars and coffee shops in Rochester.
It looks very promising, not gonna lie :)

Greeting from the lands of limbo,
I attended an all day LGBTIQ health forum (I didn't present), is this too little to include as an update? I would sort of be using it to talk about myself more since I didn't really get into my gayness very much in my PS or interviews/ tell Mayo I love them (again and again).

I'm simultaneously jealous and excited for everyone going to second look!

So anyone withdraw an acceptance from here yet? :D

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone remember the name of the book on happiness (I believe it is written by someone at Mayo) that that give to 1st year students?

It's Dr. Amit Sood, not sure what book, probably "The Mayo Clinic Guide to Stress-Free Living"?

A question for current Mayo students: did most/all of the people who came off the waitlist write a letter of intent? I'm wondering if sending a letter of intent vs. letter of interest really makes that much of a difference in the committee's decision.

A question for current Mayo students: did most/all of the people who came off the waitlist write a letter of intent? I'm wondering if sending a letter of intent vs. letter of interest really makes that much of a difference in the committee's decision.

I'm not sure how many people wrote letters of intent, but I sent one and was accepted the same week. One or two of my classmates who came off the waitlist did too, but I'm under the impression that more of my classmates who got off the waitlist did not write one.

Does anyone remember the name of the book on happiness (I believe it is written by someone at Mayo) that that give to 1st year students?

It's Dr. Amit Sood, not sure what book, probably "The Mayo Clinic Guide to Stress-Free Living"?

Yep! This one is it. The Mayo Clinic Guide to Stress-Free Living. Dr. Sood also teaches us the techniques he writes about in his book at least once a year during medical school. All of the techniques he writes about have evidence in the literature showing some indicator of stress reduction.