2015-2016 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
okay guys, I realize I'm probably being silly and neurotic about this, but I filled out my fafsa early using my tax info from last year, intending to update it once my taxes are filed. I did this because I heard it's good to fill out the fafsa asap. Anyway, I didn't pay attention to the order of the schools I listed on the fafsa, I just listed all the schools I've been accepted to or interviewed at so far. Mayo is my absolute #1 choice med school I hope to attend. I didn't list mayo first though because I didn't think the order mattered. After I submitted my fafsa, I started wondering if maybe the order does matter, so I goggled it and found a bunch of websites and articles saying that it does matter and schools might not accept you if they aren't top on your fafsa list. It's crazy and hard to believe. The articles I found were all in reference to undergrad schools though, so I'm not sure med schools would actually do this as well. I feel like I'm being paranoid about this, I hope I am.. Does anyone else know anything about this?

Members don't see this ad.

okay guys, I realize I'm probably being silly and neurotic about this, but I filled out my fafsa early using my tax info from last year, intending to update it once my taxes are filed. I did this because I heard it's good to fill out the fafsa asap. Anyway, I didn't pay attention to the order of the schools I listed on the fafsa, I just listed all the schools I've been accepted to or interviewed at so far. Mayo is my absolute #1 choice med school I hope to attend. I didn't list mayo first though because I didn't think the order mattered. After I submitted my fafsa, I started wondering if maybe the order does matter, so I goggled it and found a bunch of websites and articles saying that it does matter and schools might not accept you if they aren't top on your fafsa list. It's crazy and hard to believe. The articles I found were all in reference to undergrad schools though, so I'm not sure med schools would actually do this as well. I feel like I'm being paranoid about this, I hope I am.. Does anyone else know anything about this?

Breathe. That's not how medical school acceptances work; they're not based on fafsa (you could even pay out of pocket, for example). Call the schools if you prefer, but seeing as the AAMC traffic rules allow for students to hold multiple acceptances until 4/30, it follows that this is not a new situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Breathe. That's not how medical school acceptances work; they're not based on fafsa (you could even pay out of pocket, for example). Call the schools if you prefer, but seeing as the AAMC traffic rules allow for students to hold multiple acceptances until 4/30, it follows that this is not a new situation.

thanks for the reassurance! yeah, that's what I figured. I think I just freaked myself out reading these articles :bang:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...-students-and-potentially-lower-financial-aid

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/be-careful-what-you-share-on-the-fafsa/

but yeah, I was hoping and figured that med schools would handle this much differently than undergrad

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the reassurance! yeah, that's what I figured. I think I just freaked myself out reading these articles :bang:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...-students-and-potentially-lower-financial-aid

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/be-careful-what-you-share-on-the-fafsa/

but yeah, I was hoping and figured that med schools would handle this much differently than undergrad
I mean I don't think that med schools even access the information until after you are accepted so I think you can rest easy!

Reactions: 1 users
So I called the office....They have one more meeting 1/13 to discuss other applicants who haven't been ranked, and then another meeting after that to discuss appointments, so we'll know "some time after 1/13, probably around 1/21 or 1/22".

Ay ay ay I've been waiting for 1/15 since I interviewed the first week of October. I suppose another week won't kill me

16u1qh.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
In general though, this thread just seems very calm right now...like ominous...like somethings going to happen...but no one knows when...:ninja:

I am only maintaining my cool by channeling all of my nervous energy into the lab, volunteering, and extended periods of binge eating.

I am only maintaining my cool by channeling all of my nervous energy into the lab, volunteering, and extended periods of binge eating.
Binge watching Netflix and Amazon Prime. Would have to buy a whole new wardrobe if I succumb to binge eating.

I'm feeling all the emotions right now:arghh::love::scared::woot::barf:I guess I never thought I had a chance at Mayo, but now that I've interviewed I have my heart set on it! I'm also trying to make "last hurrah" travel plans and Mayo starts waaay before the school I've been admitted to...though I guess this limbo feeling could end soon

:luck::luck::luck: good luck everyone! I hope we all find out we will be future classmates soon

well, if we don't find out by tomorrow, we are sure to find out by next Friday, which is soon enough (though I'm convinced time is slowing down the past few weeks). I interviewed late, so if I'm lucky, I'll end up on the waitlist (ugh, another one). Blah.

Mayo does phone calls right? trying to decide how obsessively I need to check which forms of communication haha

Members don't see this ad :)
aren't acceptances over the phone though? i doubt we'd get a 2:30 ring but that would be awesome haha
Yes, but the waitlist/rejections are by email. No one announced either, so probably another week to wait.

No emails just means you are all going to get calls today!!! I feel it!!!

If memory serves me correctly, they only appoint ~45 prior to forming the waitlist, and some of those acceptances have been handed out, so there's only a mere 20-something acceptances to go out either today or next friday.

current waiting theme

though maybe I should switch to hotline bling (but the Badu version!)

WOW. crazy day! two missed calls from Mayo clinic. Finally connected on the third call to hear I was accepted!!!!!!!
Congratulations to everyone else :) :)

Reactions: 12 users
*fingers crossed* come on mayo, love me!

I shouldn't even ask this, but because I can't stop thinking about it I will. How late can we hold off this evening before we can affirm we aren't in this batch?

I shouldn't even ask this, but because I can't stop thinking about it I will. How late can we hold off this evening before we can affirm we aren't in this batch?

no clue, but I'd be remiss to deny I was thinking the same thing...

I seriously hate to fuel the anxiety levels, but on my interview day a current student said she got her acceptance call at 8 pm :nailbiting:

no clue, but I'd be remiss to deny I was thinking the same thing...

Although no one has reported getting an email from Mayo concerning a rejection, waitlist, etc... so maybe they will be overing acceptances both of these weeks. Who knows at this point. I'm going to go get some food.

AHHHHHHHHH I GOT THE CALL!!!! OMG!!!! I'm stupid with disbelief, happiness, and a mix of one hundred other things!!

Reactions: 18 users
Good luck everybody waiting for the end of today. Fingers crossed for you!!

Alternate list email just now, for the benefit of those still patiently waiting.

Edit: the email says they have "completed deliberations regarding applicants for the class entering 2016," so everybody should hear something very soon.

Reactions: 2 users
still no email or phone call... hoping that I am not rejected :(

Reactions: 4 users
Waitlisted as well :(

Congrats to all the appointees, yall are superstars!

has anyone still not heard anything?
I am actually really scared for that 2am rejection email.

This is the most excruciating silence I have ever experienced. I NEED TO KNOW

what time were people's waitlist emails sent out? wondering if they send them out all at the same time...

I'm sitting at work, just staring at my phone, waiting for an email or call, or anything....

I'm sitting at work, just staring at my phone, waiting for an email or call, or anything....
I'm in the same boat and I should be preparing for a big meeting with the head of my study next week but I'm just refreshing email/sdn constantly, thanks everyone for being a cyber support thread! Also don't loose hope alternate list people, they said there is lots of movement! Also, I switched from "waiting songs" to listening to Prince for that extra Minnesota flavor!

but still feeling
giphy.gif