2015-2016 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

claduva94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for secondary prompt.
Good luck to those applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Minnesota weather is no worse than Michigan. Throwing my hat in the ring. I like that Mayo prescreens applicants.

Last edited:
I'm also applying to Mayo! I'm from New Mexico, though. Weather is quite different for me...

Members don't see this ad :)
Minnesota weather is no worse than Michigan. Throwing my hat in the ring. I like that Mayo prescreens applicants, no LOR request, no fee.

Same. I feel like Mayo is a reach by default given the tiny class size, but their application process seems relatively uncomplicated. Plus, we won't know unless we try.

Reactions: 1 users
LOVE Mayo. Also, after finishing M1 and M2, you get to choose their other 3 campuses (Florida, Arizona, Cali) for years 3&4 :) You'll be studying so much in the first two years that I figure the weather doesn't really matter.

LOVE Mayo. Also, after finishing M1 and M2, you get to choose their other 3 campuses (Florida, Arizona, Cali) for years 3&4 :) You'll be studying so much in the first two years that I figure the weather doesn't really matter.
Can you do 3rd and 4th year in Minnesota?

I don't believe there's a CA campus at this time. And I don't remember hearing anything about one in the future.

haha yes :) personally I like snow, and I'm more likely to study so I'd probably stay

You can have all the snow! I went to the Minnesota campus this past winter for an EM collab and the snow was no joke! :penguin:
Definitely not enough to deter me though! I'll take Florida.

It's not a full Mayo campus, but they had locations in Cali listed under info for M3&4 :)

I'm wondering if you might be confusing this with another school. Mind linking that?

I'm pretty familiar with Mayo and this is the first I've heard of a formal Cali location.

In any case, Mayo is awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
Now seriously considering adding this to my list, but it blows my mind how small the class sizes are!

To provide a definitive answer: There are no existing options or plans for a California campus or California Mayo rotations (although you are free to rotate away during your fourth year). There are many options for rotations at the Mayo Phoenix/Scottsdale and Jacksonville, as well as affiliated institutions in those areas (Phoenix Childrens or Maricopa (County) Medical Center, for example. The only formal Mayo relationship with any California institution is with Palomar Health, as they are a member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network - but the MCCN is purely a knowledge-sharing partnership network and these are not rotation sites.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't find the exact site I was looking at before (at least not quickly), but there is this from the M4 curriculum site:

"Students complete at least one of each category (medicine, pediatrics and surgery) in addition to general electives. These can be completed at Mayo Clinic campuses in Rochester, Minn., Arizona or Florida, as well as national and international locations. Many students complete an international or underserved population elective in the spring of the fourth year."

The original thing i was looking at had exact sites listed

Dream school! Good luck to everyone applying!

Grew up around one of Mayo's satellite branches and have significant experiences with them. It's a damn impressive institution. Applying here even though it's a reach!

Applying and super excited! Good luck everyone!

This is my dream school, my dream residency, my dream job as an attending.

This is also my dream reach school, well beyond dream reach I should say, but I strongly believe in the saying you never know until you try! Good luck to everyone applying! :)

Got an email... Do they pre-screen secondaries? The email basically said thanks for applying please wait lol.

Got an email... Do they pre-screen secondaries? The email basically said thanks for applying please wait lol.
Yes, the do a heavy prescreen. You will get an email requesting LOR, even if you already sent them. THen you know you passed the first screen. They are also pretty good about rejecting people PDQ, so you aren't left hanging.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do we know how the secondaries in general are sent out? Do they follow the flow in order of verification?

Mayo does not do secondary essays, just the $120 secondary fee. Just FYI

Last edited:
Mayo does not do secondary essays, just the $120 secondary fee. Just FYI

Okay, so I just got the request for the $120 secondary fee... Does that mean I've passed the pre-screen (seem unlikely)? Or do they just ask for it whether or not you make it through the pre-screen?

Okay, so I just got the request for the $120 secondary fee... Does that mean I've passed the pre-screen (seem unlikely)? Or do they just ask for it whether or not you make it through the pre-screen?

I'm really hoping it means you've passed the pre-screen! I'd rather not drop $120 for nothing...

Did they ask for your LOR?? That is the prescreen.

I honestly don't remember. They have the answer in last year's thread.

Based on their email, it does not seem as though being asked to pay the fee means you've passed the pre-screen.

Last edited:
Just received a request to pay their fee. This means I passed the pre-screen? Does anyone have a rough idea of what numbers are needed to pass their screen based on previous years?

IIRC they have a minor if any screen for the fee. Then the major screen happens pre-LOR request.

Just received a request to pay their fee. This means I passed the pre-screen? Does anyone have a rough idea of what numbers are needed to pass their screen based on previous years?

Okay, I just got the please pay $120 email too.

Last edited:
The email states that you need to pay the fee for them to review your app.

Do those of you who received the e-mail about paying the secondary fee mind sharing your stats?

lol pls mayo just take my money and accept me :bigtears:

Have people who have not been verified received that email yet? Or is that only for once they receive you app and you are verified?

Have people who have not been verified received that email yet? Or is that only for once they receive you app and you are verified?
I was verified June 8 and still haven't gotten any email for a fee. 3.9/522, so I don't think it's because I've been screened out..or at least I hope not haha!

Does anyone know if Mayo waives the $120 fee for FAP applicants?

I was verified June 8 and still haven't gotten any email for a fee. 3.9/522, so I don't think it's because I've been screened out..or at least I hope not haha!
Haha that's good news. It's hard not to get nervous now that the first wave of secondaries are trickling out!

LizzyM=76, no secondary for me either! They probably don't send them off hours lol