2015-2016 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure how many people wrote letters of intent, but I sent one and was accepted the same week. One or two of my classmates who came off the waitlist did too, but I'm under the impression that more of my classmates who got off the waitlist did not write one.

Cool, thanks for the input!!

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my letter of intent today! Ultimate dream school, crossing my fingers and everything else that I'll get off the waitlist! I received an email from dean Bostwick last week, and am hoping that's a good sign!

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted my letter of intent today! Ultimate dream school, crossing my fingers and everything else that I'll get off the waitlist! I received an email from dean Bostwick last week, and am hoping that's a good sign!

Ohh really? What did the email say if I may ask? Last year, applicants who received emails from Dean Bostwick were eventually admitted. Sounds like good news for you :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

good luck! I would think it's a good sign if he emailed you (based on previous years threads)

I'm currently on the waitlist. Just curious, what are the dates for second look at Mayo?

Saw the most recent US World News Data – average Step 1 of 246 is really impressive and on par with the "top 5" schools like Penn. Whatever they're doing here seems to be working.

Reactions: 3 users
Saw the most recent US World News Data – average Step 1 of 246 is really impressive and on par with the "top 5" schools like Penn. Whatever they're doing here seems to be working.

Hi BlueDevilFan3. Mayo does prepare us very well for the Steps. Almost all of our professors write for Step 1 or on their content-blocks team of Step 1 faculty. We take NBME exams for each content block, which is a unique feature that many medical schools do not participate in. We also receive a 6 month subscription to U World before our Step testing date.

We really are spoiled here, but in every great way possible!

Reactions: 7 users
Could someone verify that mayo's step 1 score average is a 246? Which class was that?
Hi BlueDevilFan3. Mayo does prepare us very well for the Steps. Almost all of our professors write for Step 1 or on their content-blocks team of Step 1 faculty. We take NBME exams for each content block, which is a unique feature that many medical schools do not participate in. We also receive a 6 month subscription to U World before our Step testing date.

We really are spoiled here, but in every great way possible!
an some

246 is crazy impressive, especially considering how much their students and curriculum emphasize self-care! Being happy and still doing exceedingly well sounds like a winning combination.

Reactions: 1 users
246 is crazy impressive, especially considering how much their students and curriculum emphasize self-care! Being happy and still doing exceedingly well sounds like a winning combination.
I couldn't agree more :) I'm slowly falling in love with this school. And the people seem so genuine

Reactions: 1 user
Could someone verify that mayo's step 1 score average is a 246? Which class was that?

an some

Can you link to where you found this information? It's likely that it's the average step 1 score for 2015, most of whom will be graduating with the class of 2017. It's consistent with our internal Step 1 student survey responses that we distribute to the classes below us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any movement off the wait list yet?

Has anyone on the alternate waitlist received anything from MMS? Someone on the previous page had mentioned Dean Bostwick had sent an email. Anyone else?

I also got an email from Dean Botswick back in early March. It was a really nice email (essentially "we are still considering your candidacy, we hope you stay on the waitlist, we accept letters of intent, details etc), but I really don't want to read into it too much at this point XD

I also got an email from Dean Botswick back in early March. It was a really nice email (essentially "we are still considering your candidacy, we hope you stay on the waitlist, we accept letters of intent, details etc), but I really don't want to read into it too much at this point XD

Ohh I see. Did you send anything to mayo prior to that?
:) Last year, students who received this email eventually got accepted!

I did send in a small update letter. It wasn't a letter of intent (because my decision is really dependent on aid), but it just said I was still interested and had a couple of updates in it since I'm still in school. Nothing crazy like a publication or anything, but I got a couple of small grants and am helping to lead a service trip.

I feel like so much of this is up in the air, i'm just trying to live day by day and not put all my bets on a particular school, but I guess my hopes are a little higher now:))))) Thanks :)

getting super worried :( my top choice, waitlisted with no communication

I did send in a small update letter. It wasn't a letter of intent (because my decision is really dependent on aid), but it just said I was still interested and had a couple of updates in it since I'm still in school. Nothing crazy like a publication or anything, but I got a couple of small grants and am helping to lead a service trip.

I feel like so much of this is up in the air, i'm just trying to live day by day and not put all my bets on a particular school, but I guess my hopes are a little higher now:))))) Thanks :)

:) :) No problem~~ Wishing you the best of luck on your cycle! Thanks for letting us know about email ^^ It's really helpful~

@clt don't be discouraged! It's still early for waitlist movement and I think last year, there were a few waves of applicants to receive emails for Dean Bostwick. Don't give up!

getting super worried :( my top choice, waitlisted with no communication
Right there with you:scared:! I sent a letter of intent a while back (before being waitlisted) and gave a small update yesterday, but no email from Dean Bostwick. Trying to stay hopeful:luck: good luck

does anyone have examples of pre-made selectives? I think I remember reading somewhere that there's a list of sample selectives to choose from

Just received a courtesy email from Dr. Boswick ("we are still considering your candidacy, we hope you stay on the waitlist, we accept letters of intent, details etc). I mean, I was 90% sure I was heading to Pritzker but why not deal with crippling excitement and anxiety for another 3 months?

Does anyone know or any do current mayo students know if most people who recieve this email from Dr. Bostwick get accepted?

Just received a courtesy email from Dr. Boswick ("we are still considering your candidacy, we hope you stay on the waitlist, we accept letters of intent, details etc). I mean, I was 90% sure I was heading to Pritzker but why not deal with crippling excitement and anxiety for another 3 months?

+1

Since they're staggering out these emails, it's more likely that they're sending them to waitlisted applicants with the higher 'application scores', right?
Or is that just what I want to believe? :p

Mayo why you play so hard to get??

Are people who sent letters of intent getting these courtesy emails from Dr. Boswick? Or is it is just for people who haven't declared their intentions (and seem to be higher up in the rankings)? I can't wait for that fabled early May waitlist movement!

Are people who sent letters of intent getting these courtesy emails from Dr. Boswick? Or is it is just for people who haven't declared their intentions (and seem to be higher up in the rankings)? I can't wait for that fabled early May waitlist movement!

I never sent them an LOI and I got the email.

I interviewed in September and sent an update letter in January expressing my continued interest (but not declaring intent). Best of luck to all of us!

Mmm but are you seriously considering going to Mayo over Pritzker? :/ If so, then I wish you best of luck with the waitlist! If not, there are many waitlisted applicants who consider Mayo their top choice and are eagerly waiting to hear back. I don't mean to be rude in any sense though hehe it could just be my anxiety of not hearing anything from Mayo kicking in.

Mmm but are you seriously considering going to Mayo over Pritzker? :/ If so, then I wish you best of luck with the waitlist! If not, there are many waitlisted applicants who consider Mayo their top choice and are eagerly waiting to hear back. I don't mean to be rude in any sense though hehe it could just be my anxiety of not hearing anything from Mayo kicking in.
No offense taken at all! This is something I would have to really consider, as I loved both Mayo and Pritzker when I interviewed (my MDapp impressions are pretty candid). Unfortunately, my decision will be heavily dependent on financial aid, so it's hard to for me say at this time. :(

No offense taken at all! This is something I would have to really consider, as I loved both Mayo and Pritzker when I interviewed (my MDapp impressions are pretty candid). Unfortunately, my decision will be heavily dependent on financial aid, so it's hard to for me say at this time. :(

I see! Congratulations on your acceptance to Pritzker but of course, best of luck with Mayo as well! :cat:

Does anyone know or any do current mayo students know if most people who recieve this email from Dr. Bostwick get accepted?

Judging by last year's thread, almost everyone who got this email from the dean (except maybe 1-2 people) were eventually accepted

Is it true that Mayo pays for most of tuition for 'needy' students?
Has anyone gotten this year's financial package yet? What were they like previous years?

does anybody know if anyone who doesn't receive an email from Dr. Botswick has gotten accepted in prior years? Planning to send a letter of intent, but wondering if I shouldn't waste it on Mayo if there's no reciprocal <3

Has anyone gotten this year's financial package yet? What were they like previous years?

They're completely need-based, as opposed to how they used to do it. So what was done in previous years may not hold true now. That said, my FA package has come out, and it was extremely generous.

I also received Dr. Bostwick's email! I sent two update letters expressing strong interest in January and March. I interviewed in September. My fingers are crossed!

As Eccesignum said, financial aid packages are need based. I got my financial aid package already. I can't comment on what they were like previous years, but I will say that mine was very generous. I was very surprised by it because I wasn't expecting much of anything based on my family income, but they were still extremely generous. They are very proud of their low average indebtedness and I guess they are trying to keep student debt low, which is great!

I don't think they are courtesy emails since they were sent in waves with perhaps weeks in between. If it was a courtesy message, they could have just emailed everyone at once since it is easy to generate a list of all the waitlisted applicants. I sent a letter of interest shortly after my interview before I was continued and eventually waitlisted. I haven't contacted them in months (similar to the other two people that responded to your post), you might be right that the dean's email letter is meant as a nudge.

I remember from interview day that they gave full ride scholarships to about 20% of the class with the lowest family income. As others have already mentioned, the scholarship people from more affluent backgrounds receive is still substantial.

does anybody know if anyone who doesn't receive an email from Dr. Botswick has gotten accepted in prior years? Planning to send a letter of intent, but wondering if I shouldn't waste it on Mayo if there's no reciprocal <3
It would only take an hour of your time to write, so why not do it to cover all your bases?

I received the email and sent a LOI back. Fingers crossed.

just watched this really cool video - "A Day Above Mayo Clinic" :love:

So I'm on the alternate list but did receive the email from Dr. Bostwick last week and I responded with a letter of intent. The doctor I work with has offered to call the admissions office and put in a good word for me. Does anyone think this would be beneficial or should I just wait for a few more weeks to see if there is any wait-list movement? I know the admissions committee has to be very busy right now and would not want to bother them with a call if it's not necessary. Thoughts?

So I'm on the alternate list but did receive the email from Dr. Bostwick last week and I responded with a letter of intent. The doctor I work with has offered to call the admissions office and put in a good word for me. Does anyone think this would be beneficial or should I just wait for a few more weeks to see if there is any wait-list movement? I know the admissions committee has to be very busy right now and would not want to bother them with a call if it's not necessary. Thoughts?

If you received Dean Bostwick's letter, you should be fine without the additional recommendation. Based on its content, it is clear that Mayo is interested in your candidacy. I'd wait at least two weeks. Wait list movement began on April 24th last year, so we should hopefully see some action soon!

Last edited:
do you think anyone who hasn't received Dean Bostwick's letter is pretty much doomed? In prior years, has anyone been accepted off the waitlist without the letter?

do you think anyone who hasn't received Dean Bostwick's letter is pretty much doomed? In prior years, has anyone been accepted off the waitlist without the letter?

I don't think so. Last year, two batches of letters were sent out, one in mid-April and the other in early-May. You may want to consider sending an update/LOI to inform the Admissions Committee of your interest/intent.

Last edited:

I wouldn't have the doctor you work with call the admissions office, I don't think that's necessary and you've already received the letter and sent in a LOI.

The calm before the storm. April 30th is so close! Good luck and fingers crossed for all the fellow alternate list people! Hopefully this week will bring good news for us. :)

Reactions: 4 users