2015-2016 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my acceptance. That was hard. Hope someone on the waitlist gets my spot!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
thanks for all the great info! that being said, how easy/hard is it to get this social experience if you live in a 1 BR, like in Barringer for example? I'm thinking of trying to do that but don't want to feel isolated by living by myself

Lots of people live by themselves or with non-med students! I lived in a single bdrm in Barringer last year and felt really social. The most important thing is putting in effort to get out of your room since sweat pants and Netflix is always an enticing option. I was all sorts of worried about having roommates with medical school starting, but it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. But I'm not shooting for Neurosurg. There's also the social experience of living in the dorms itself since there are lots of medical students and students of other professions in the building. My roommates now are people I met in the dorms.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of people live by themselves or with non-med students! I lived in a single bdrm in Barringer last year and felt really social. The most important thing is putting in effort to get out of your room since sweat pants and Netflix is always an enticing option. I was all sorts of worried about having roommates with medical school starting, but it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. But I'm not shooting for Neurosurg. There's also the social experience of living in the dorms itself since there are lots of medical students and students of other professions in the building. My roommates now are people I met in the dorms.
thanks! that was really helpful :)

Thank you guys all so much for such thorough and detailed responses! Super useful information :) I will definitely take your advice about attending lectures and seeing how well they work for me. And I also plan to bike as per the information you guys provided. I think I'll be in University City so it's a bit far, but hopefully I can get used to the commute and it will be a nice way to get some exercise in the day anyways. And on bad weather days I can take SEPTA and try to fit in some Anki review while on it haha :D SEPTA late at night is pretty okay safetywise right? Just in case I'm staying at some late night mixer or something and leaving Center City around 10pm or midnight or so. Thanks so much again for all the useful info!

Hypothetically, if we get off the waitlist in the next couple of days (before the 30th), do we then have to pick whether to attend Jefferson over another school (without financial aid info) on traffic day? Any info would be much appreciated!

Hypothetically, if we get off the waitlist in the next couple of days (before the 30th), do we then have to pick whether to attend Jefferson over another school (without financial aid info) on traffic day? Any info would be much appreciated!
You can only HOLD one seat after April 30th, however if you are offered a seat, I imagine the school would give you a specific time frame to submit a deposit to officially hold the offered seat during which you can decide if you really want it or not.

Being this close to traffic day, and having the last interview/committee meetings weeks ago, odds of them pulling someone right now are slim to none. Even if spots open, they most likely will just hold them until traffic day. I'm not in the know, but my guess is now that interviews are over they're reviewing the HPWL to go over who they think they might want to pull, and most likely don't have a rank. That being said I have no clue, I'm just guessing, but most likely waitlist movement isn't happening right now.

Being this close to traffic day, and having the last interview/committee meetings weeks ago, odds of them pulling someone right now are slim to none. Even if spots open, they most likely will just hold them until traffic day. I'm not in the know, but my guess is now that interviews are over they're reviewing the HPWL to go over who they think they might want to pull, and most likely don't have a rank. That being said I have no clue, I'm just guessing, but most likely waitlist movement isn't happening right now.
Based on last year's thread, someone was pulled the Wednesday after the last committee meeting.

Based on last year's thread, someone was pulled the Wednesday after the last committee meeting.
Last interview was two weeks ago-therefore last committee meeting was last week, so maybe someone got pulled today? Again I have no clue whether my guess is correct or not. I hope people start getting pulled though!

I don't see them not waiting for traffic day, why not make decisions when you have the most info?

Last year, the Wednesday after the last committee meeting was the day before traffic day so I'm guessing they will start pulling people at the earliest on Friday...just a guess though!

My friend was pulled off the HPWL yesterday which is why I asked! Definitely still feels like a slim chance, but that gives me hope at least :) Best of luck to all!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My friend was pulled off the HPWL yesterday which is why I asked! Definitely still feels like a slim chance, but that gives me hope at least :) Best of luck to all!
Congrats to your friend!! Do you know if your he or she sent in any updates or LOI?

For incoming students with a financial aid award, did you notice a huge difference in FAFSA's calculated EFC and Jefferson's calculated EFC? Jeff's EFC is nearly 3x higher than my FAFSA EFC...

For incoming students with a financial aid award, did you notice a huge difference in FAFSA's calculated EFC and Jefferson's calculated EFC? Jeff's EFC is nearly 3x higher than my FAFSA EFC...

My EFC was like 4,500 but I applied for institutional aid so my EFC for Jeff included parental info so it went up to about $22,000 (but this was actually 2,000 lower than what FASFA estimated)

What time did your friend receive the phone call? And congratulations!

This morning I was called by Dr. Callahan and was accepted off of the HPWL. Cried and stumbled on my words as she was telling me. I was practically speechless, the only words that I thought of were "Oh my Gosh" and "THANK YOU SO MUCH" LOL

Reactions: 17 users
This morning I was called by Dr. Callahan and was accepted off of the HPWL. Cried and stumbled on my words as she was telling me. I was practically speechless, the only words that I thought of were "Oh my Gosh" and "THANK YOU SO MUCH" LOL
Congrats!!! So jealous lol

Wow!!! Congrats! Hoping I have the same experience soon!

That's awesome congrats!!!

Congrats! I'm currently staring at my phone, willing it to ring

Me if the phone ever rings:
tumblr_ljndwhEKAv1qbncy4.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew from everywhere else so Jeff it is! Excited for July

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, I was pulled off the HPWL earlier today, and I was so ecstatic that I can't remember half of what happened in the phone conversation. For those who were just accepted, do you remember when we receive the email with all the paperwork? And will we have instructions on how to pay the deposit after we receive the email? Thanks guys, so excited to meet everyone in the fall :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I was pulled off the HPWL earlier today, and I was so ecstatic that I can't remember half of what happened in the phone conversation. For those who were just accepted, do you remember when we receive the email with all the paperwork? And will we have instructions on how to pay the deposit after we receive the email? Thanks guys, so excited to meet everyone in the fall :)
I have no helpful information as I am still patiently waiting on the HPWL BUT CONGRATS!!!!

Congrats y'all on the getting pulled from HPWL. What did you guys do to get off the waitlist?

congrats!! the email came for me a few days after the phone call, and then I got a letter in the mail about a week after, which had the card to pay the deposit

This happened to me too today haha. Congrats to you both!!!

Withdrew from Jefferson. Best Wishes to those of you that are on the WL

Withdrew from everywhere else, except for Jeff. Excited to start in July!

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats everyone that got off HPWL yesterday! Did you send LOI/update emails?

Only in response to the HPWL email!

Ah okay! I had sent in an LOI in response to the email and spaced out my updates every 1.5 months (end of Feb and beginning of April). Wondering now if I've pestered Dr. Callahan and Dr. Brooks too much lol.

Congrats!!! So jealous lol

Thank you! Hoping for the best for you :)

Wow!!! Congrats! Hoping I have the same experience soon!

GOOD LUCK!!! :) Hope you hear some good news in the next few weeks.

That's awesome congrats!!!

Thank you! I will see you the fall - congratulations!

Congrats! I'm currently staring at my phone, willing it to ring

Thank you so much! Good luck. I hope you hear some good news soon!

Ah okay! I had sent in an LOI in response to the email and spaced out my updates every 1.5 months (end of Feb and beginning of April). Wondering now if I've pestered Dr. Callahan and Dr. Brooks too much lol.
Same hahaha

kilez12 I love your avatar haha it's so cute!

So tomorrow is judgement day?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

JUST GOT IN OFF THE HPWL!!!!!!!! First acceptance, I'm sooooo excited!!!!!!

Reactions: 11 users