2015-2016 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all, mostly a lurker here, posted a few clerical questions a while back, I got accepted off HPWL this past Tuesday. Very excited, a touch nervous, but looking forward to the challenge and meeting some new people. This forum has been a great resource, thank you to everyone. Keep the faith, things are happening everyday!

Hope to see you all in July.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
So it doesn't sound like there's a lot of action on the waitlists anymore....:/

I'm hoping after that first wave they were planning to release the rest on Wednesdays like they did acceptances (that seemed to be the pattern last year). Then again there was a lot more HPWL early on this year but I'm not sure if that's just due to more people posting on SDN.

It's too early to lose hope IMO! Hoping for the best for all of us here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping after that first wave they were planning to release the rest on Wednesdays like they did acceptances (that seemed to be the pattern last year). Then again there was a lot more HPWL early on this year but I'm not sure if that's just due to more people posting on SDN.

It's too early to lose hope IMO! Hoping for the best for all of us here.
Flipside: AMCAS opens in three weeks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

@another.premed I'm trying to stay optimistic lol, but it's tough. Starting to (reluctantly) prep my plan B stuff now. And same here, hoping it all works out :)

@LordxRequiem damn that's coming up fast o.o

Guys I got off the HPWL this morning!! To those still waiting---if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone!! Good luck to you all!

This is my first acceptance and I'm definitely withdrawing from everywhere else and attending! So excited to meet you all in July :) :) :) :) :)

Reactions: 7 users
Dreams do come true! Accepted off the HPWL this morning. Didn't hear a word Dr. Callahan said due to the tears. Fell in love with Jeff and am thrilled to be attending this fall, will without a doubt be withdrawing all other apps.

Keep the faith friends! It all works out!

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to everyone coming off the waitlist today! I was starting to lose hope, but it's nice to see that movement is still happening. :)

Reactions: 1 users
does it seem like the only people who get off the wait list are people with no other acceptances?

does it seem like the only people who get off the wait list are people with no other acceptances?

Yeah it does. Maybe Jeff does not think an applicant will choose Jeff over their other acceptances, which is too bad.

Yeah it does. Maybe Jeff does not think an applicant will choose Jeff over their other acceptances, which is too bad.
In my letter of intent, I stated I would drop all other acceptances and waitlists to go there. Looks like they don't believe me :(

For incoming students with a financial aid award, did you notice a huge difference in FAFSA's calculated EFC and Jefferson's calculated EFC? Jeff's EFC is nearly 3x higher than my FAFSA EFC...

Jeff gives very little in the way of non-loan financial aid unfortunately. My FAFSA EFC was zero this year and last and my Jeff EFC is still $20k. Welcome to the glorious profit-making machine that is the US educational system.

Are there required textbooks/resources for anatomy and future classes listed somewhere?

All "required" external textbooks are provided via PDF in the class google drive (at least so far they have been). Honestly, you will really only use the textbook when you want clarification on things. The only textbook I used was for Anatomy because Dr. Spudich "reserves the right to ask up to 10% of exam questions on topics in the textbook that may not be specifically taught or focused on in lectures", which were always 'blue box' clinical case examples. I also sometimes used it for pictures/diagrams since if you any diagrams given on exams came from the textbook, were the only thing I ever used the textbook for in Anatomy. I never even downloaded the other textbooks much less used them.

There are a lot of resources also in the google drive including upperclassman outlines, practice questions, and Anki decks (I have one friend who refers to Kealan's decks as "the work of a benevolent God", which is more praise than I'd give but his decks are undeniably amazing in most aspects). Though not all subjects in all courses have each of these resources, but there is usually at least something with quality varying based on the author. The helpfulness of each is completely dependent on your learning style. Plus your classmates will regularly share helpful videos, sites, etc. on your Facebook page that you can use if need be.

Or maybe they want to give people with no acceptances a chance to go to medical school. Who knows..

Members don't see this ad :)
Or maybe they want to give people with no acceptances a chance to go to medical school. Who knows..

Jeff needs to fill their class and the quickest way to do that is to offer acceptances to those with no alternative option(s). If this is true (and we do not know this), then it is a bad strategy as there are many competitive applicants, holding acceptances elsewhere, who would love to attend and contribute to Jeff. Yes, Jeff is giving people a "chance" but it also means you may lose out on some fantastic (and most likely more competitive) applicants.

How do you withdraw an acceptance here? I emailed Dr. Callahan but the other school I'm accepted to contacted me today saying I'm still holding an acceptance here. Is there something else I need to do?

Last edited:
I know that this is a subjective question, but can any students give me an idea of how much cost of attendance is for a relatively stoic person. I got so caught up trying to get in, now that I'm diving into financials it's getting pretty intimidating. I know that 76k is the estimated cost, but with tuition being 54k, I'm not seeing myself spending 22k a year on everything else.

I know that this is a subjective question, but can any students give me an idea of how much cost of attendance is for a relatively stoic person. I got so caught up trying to get in, now that I'm diving into financials it's getting pretty intimidating. I know that 76k is the estimated cost, but with tuition being 54k, I'm not seeing myself spending 22k a year on everything else.

Have you gotten your financial aid package yet?

Have you gotten your financial aid package yet?

Not yet, I should soon. Ends up my FAFSA was missing information so it got delayed. I only got accepted a little over a week ago though, so I'm not actually sure how late that is.

Not yet, I should soon. Ends up my FAFSA was missing information so it got delayed. I only got accepted a little over a week ago though, so I'm not actually sure how late that is.

You may be surprised after you get your package. Seems that although Jeff is a private school they have a lot of institutional aid/scholarships available.

I personally think the financial aid estimate for living expenses is high but like you said its different for every person. I would make a spreadsheet for yourself that includes all your monthly expenses (rent, internet, electricity, groceries ect.) and a little extra spending money built in and I found that I was able to more closely predict my living expenses. I used many of the categories that was suggested on their estimated cost list but was able to eliminate several things like transportation expenses because I don't have a car.

Accepted this morning off the wait-list! If you haven't sent a letter of intent, do it now.

Reactions: 3 users

The cost of living is a calculated prediction of what it should cost on average for a complete independent person living alone to live in the city. The estimated housing cost can be drastically cut by having roommates and/or moving a bit further away form the school. Also, they build in like 2K for textbooks and supplies, which you don't need because all the textbooks are available digitally on the class google drive and there are very few other supplies you need to buy (my year is the first year stethoscopes were gifted to an incoming class, idk if they plan to keep that up). Of course this works only if you are comfortable living in the virtual world only. Just make a list of your needs: Rent, estimated utilities, cable/internet, food, hygiene supplies (mouthwash/shampoo/etc), and when estimating these be generous, you definitely don't want to underestimate and run out of cash.

Now a lot of people don't realize that while saving money by living like a peasant seems great on paper, it sucks when you're actually living. Don't deprive yourself of enjoying life. Compared to the amount of debt you will be in at the end, taking out an extra 2-5k more than you think you need will be nothing. And after your first year, you will have a significantly better idea of how much you need to take out each year after that and you can either borrow less or more accordingly. Also, you can always meet with financial aid to create a budget and figure stuff out.

Bottom line, take out enough to live comfortably (without splurging). Med school is already stressful, don't add to it by pinching pennies.

Accepted this morning off the HPWL! After having sent regular updates the past few months, I sent a letter of intent yesterday and that did the trick! Good luck guys!

If a letter of intent was sent in a week ago and no acceptance, does this mean most likely Jefferson is not interested? I am holding another acceptance, are they trying to accept those now who are guaranteed to attend? Any help would be appreciated, please and thank you.

If a letter of intent was sent in a week ago and no acceptance, does this mean most likely Jefferson is not interested? I am holding another acceptance, are they trying to accept those now who are guaranteed to attend? Any help would be appreciated, please and thank you.
I have sent in a letter of interest, multiple update letters, and an additional letter of reference and still nothing. I am starting to think the same thing as I also have an acceptance elsewhere but jeff is absolutely my top choice.

I have sent in a letter of interest, multiple update letters, and an additional letter of reference and still nothing. I am starting to think the same thing as I also have an acceptance elsewhere but jeff is absolutely my top choice.

Sent in a letter of interest in December after being High Priority Wait listed, then two update letters (Feb and April), and then an updated letter of interest last week where I straight up said Jeff was my top choice haha. However I haven't been accepted anywhere else so idk what to do other than start prepping for this cycle...

Sent in a letter of interest in December after being High Priority Wait listed, then two update letters (Feb and April), and then an updated letter of interest last week where I straight up said Jeff was my top choice haha. However I haven't been accepted anywhere else so idk what to do other than start prepping for this cycle...
Sorry to hear that, I hope we both hear back good news soon.

This is a dumb question, but if I just turn in an on campus housing request form, is it possible that I get roomed with undergrads? I really don't care who I get put with since I'm not from Philly and know no one, but I really don't want to share an apartment with an 18 year old. No offense to 18 year olds but I consider that baby sitting.

This is a dumb question, but if I just turn in an on campus housing request form, is it possible that I get roomed with undergrads? I really don't care who I get put with since I'm not from Philly and know no one, but I really don't want to share an apartment with an 18 year old. No offense to 18 year olds but I consider that baby sitting.
Jefferson does not have any undergraduate programs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

2 questions, 1 related to the above: do med students get paired together for housing? Can I sink JeffMail to my phone? (Haven't found anything on their site that uses a server to connect with a mail client)

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

2 questions, 1 related to the above: do med students get paired together for housing? Can I sink JeffMail to my phone? (Haven't found anything on their site that uses a server to connect with a mail client)

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yes for the most part. Yes, use Gmail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

Off the HPWL. I spoke with Callahan and admissions, anyone who is wait listed is on the "HPWL". No such thing as a regular waitlist. Just one big fat one.

Dear God are you serious? And here I was thinking my chances were still relatively good because I was on a "high priority" list. That seems deliberately misleading. Has anyone tried calling Admissions to get an estimate of where they stand within the HPWL? I have to assume that there is an internal ranking.

I think I'm even more depressed now.

Dear God are you serious? And here I was thinking my chances were still relatively good because I was on a "high priority" list. That seems deliberately misleading. Has anyone tried calling Admissions to get an estimate of where they stand within the HPWL? I have to assume that there is an internal ranking.

I think I'm even more depressed now.

I'm also on the HPWL and am worried to hear this. However, I thought they said during the interview day that there was also an alternate waitlist that typically saw less movement?

Withdrew my app from consideration off of the HPWL the other other day. Good luck to everyone!!!

I'm also on the HPWL and am worried to hear this. However, I thought they said during the interview day that there was also an alternate waitlist that typically saw less movement?

My interview was such a long time ago that I've forgotten exactly what was said. But in this entire thread I don't think there's been a post where someone mentions that they are on the alternate list, which would make sense if it didn't exist in the first place. Sigh. I'm holding 4 waitlists and I always thought Jefferson would be the one I would end up getting accepted to due to the HP status.

Last edited:
Off the HPWL. I spoke with Callahan and admissions, anyone who is wait listed is on the "HPWL". No such thing as a regular waitlist. Just one big fat one.

My decision email specifically says that I am on the alternate list-

"The SidneyKimmel Medical College Committee on Admissions, after reviewing your application, has placed you in the Alternate Category. This list is flexible and there are no ranked positions. While we are unable to offer you a place at this time, your application will remain under consideration. A place in the class may develop for you, but for some individuals on the Alternate List, a place may not be available before class begins."

is this what people on the HPWL got as well?

There's no way this is true

My decision email specifically says that I am on the alternate list-

"The SidneyKimmel Medical College Committee on Admissions, after reviewing your application, has placed you in the Alternate Category. This list is flexible and there are no ranked positions. While we are unable to offer you a place at this time, your application will remain under consideration. A place in the class may develop for you, but for some individuals on the Alternate List, a place may not be available before class begins."

is this what people on the HPWL got as well?

HPWL email says we've been placed in a special high priority category.

should I have received an email regarding Certphi background screening? was accepted a bit ago but have not received anything beyond the initial banner ID email and financial aid stuff

should I have received an email regarding Certphi background screening? was accepted a bit ago but have not received anything beyond the initial banner ID email and financial aid stuff

I got mine from AAMC about 12 days after acceptance.

Does anyone know what kind of iPad the incoming students get? Or at least what type of iPads other years have gotten?

Has anyone still on the waitlist (or rejected) tried calling in to ask about what areas of their application needs improvement?

Does anyone know what kind of iPad the incoming students get? Or at least what type of iPads other years have gotten?

If the trend holds, you'll get the latest model of the iPad Air (assuming the trend holds), likely 64GB, maybe 128GB. The class of 2018 got the iPad Air 1, 32GB (from what I've been told), my class got the iPad Air 2, 64GB. It probably depends what deal the school can strike with Apple each year. Just going off a gut feeling, I can't imagine the incoming class would get anything older or with less storage than the model my class received.