2015-2016 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is a dumb question, but if I just turn in an on campus housing request form, is it possible that I get roomed with undergrads? I really don't care who I get put with since I'm not from Philly and know no one, but I really don't want to share an apartment with an 18 year old. No offense to 18 year olds but I consider that baby sitting.

We don't have undergrads, but that doesn't mean some of your classmates won't be young (many from the Penn State Accelerated Program tract will be 20 with an occasional 19 year old), and the other schools also offer accelerated programs with different undergrad universities. Besides, at this level, age doesn't correlate with maturity. I have classmates in their late 20s that I consider extremely immature and classmates that are 20 that I consider very level headed and whom you would never suspect were that young. Good roommates are a luck of the draw, but rarely do people get bad roommates (I haven't heard of any bad matches this year with less than a handful of lukewarm matches at worst. But I won't claim to know everyone).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
And for everyone freaking out a bit, just as Doctor Strange said, there is most definitely a high priority category and an alternate category to the wait list.

Any more waitlist movement? I absolutely loved Jefferson but I'm getting to the point where I really just want to have my plans for next year finalized. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I was accepted about a month ago, but I still don't have access to my Jeff e-mail account yet. Is this something that gets activated once we start school? Thanks.

Jefferson does not have any undergraduate programs.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

They do, I think, through the College of Health Professions (http://www.jefferson.edu/university/health-professions/degrees-programs.html) and the College of Nursing (BSN).

Hey guys,
I was accepted about a month ago, but I still don't have access to my Jeff e-mail account yet. Is this something that gets activated once we start school? Thanks.
You can't get in through Blackboard? Do you have a campus key?

I withdrew my acceptance here over the past several days. It was not an easy choice. I hope my spot goes to one of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Can whoever it was that didn't apply with the 4 "standard" letters as listed on the website please pm me? I thought I remembered reading about flexibility with the letter requirements for non trads

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I can get in Blackboard with my campus key, but when I try to log in Jeffmail with the same campus key and password, I get an error message saying that either no user name has been created or my password is incorrect :/

Happened to me last year. Email admissions (or call) and tell them you don't have access to your JeffMail account despite being accepted a while ago. In my case, someone replied back to my email in less than 24 hours profusely apologizing, they called the IT manager on my behalf and had my gmail up and running by end of business that day. If you have blackboard access, then your account exists. Essentially IT screwed up and forgot to enable user login access.

It's a simple fix. Also, don't sweat because you're not missing anything. Nothing of any importance gets emailed to you until after orientation.

Has anyone still on the waitlist (or rejected) tried calling in to ask about what areas of their application needs improvement?
Yes I did. I was placed on the alternate list, so I assumed my chances of getting off were slim and I wanted to start improving my application ASAP so I called the admissions office. They said I wasn't truly rejected until August, so keep trying to get off the waitlist, and that there is no need for a consult. Anyway, after some pleading, they said they MIGHT consider a consult once we've "officially" been rejected. I'm going to contact them again in August.

What time of instruments do M1's have to buy? Are stethoscopes still given out during the White Coat ceremony still or should we buy our own along with an otoscope/ophthalmoscope set?

What time of instruments do M1's have to buy? Are stethoscopes still given out during the White Coat ceremony still or should we buy our own along with an otoscope/ophthalmoscope set?
I think stethoscopes are still distributed during the White Coat ceremony!
From the website:

Required
  • Stethoscope
  • Percussion Hammer (Babinski, Dejerine, Queen's Square—do NOT purchase the triangular head or Buck hammer)
  • Tuning Forks (128 Hertz)
  • Pen Light
Strongly Recommended
  • Otoscope/ophthalmoscope (very important for students considering careers in family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, ophthalmology, ENT, neurology and neurosurgery)

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe since last year, all students get stethoscopes as a gift at the white coat ceremony. It is literally the only instrument I carry around on rotations. During pre-clinical years, you can always borrow a percussion hammer/tuning fork/pretty much anything else from other classmates or the extras that are inevitably at clinical skill sessions. Do not go out buying an otoscope or ophthalmoscope. They're pretty expensive and you can always find one on the floor somewhere or in a patient room. I either use a strong tap from my fingers or the head of my stethoscope for reflexes. The pen light can be replaced with your phone light. I have only ever used a tuning fork on the four weeks I was on neuro.

They won't be giving out stethoscopes this year actually (I'm a current MS1 and heard it from higher up people). I didn't buy any instruments until neuro (which starts at the end of April), but would have been fine just borrowing a friend's if I didn't buy my own.

They won't be giving out stethoscopes this year actually (I'm a current MS1 and heard it from higher up people). I didn't buy any instruments until neuro (which starts at the end of April), but would have been fine just borrowing a friend's if I didn't buy my own.

Maybe I'll email Dr. Brooks or Dr. Callahan at some point since the website seems to have some conflicting info!

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know where that info is coming from, but incoming MS1's have been told that we would be receiving stethoscopes again (source from admissions). Who did you hear that from?

The admitted students page (http://www.jefferson.edu/university/skmc/admissions/admitted-students.html) was updated under medical instruments to show that we will need to buy our own stethoscopes this year.

Under the "White Coat Ceremony" tab it states "White Coats, name tags and stethoscopes have been generously donated by members of the Sidney Kimmel Medical College Alumni Association. White coats will be presented along with name tags on Registration Day, July 25, 2016." and "Stethoscopes will be distributed at the White Coat Ceremony, July 29, 2016. All students will have the opportunity to thank their alumni donors once they have matriculated at Thomas Jefferson University."

It also does not say that we will need to purchase our own under the "medical instruments" tab. Only that they are required.

That's upsetting! Especially with $110 M donation, why wouldn't they continue the tradition of providing stethoscopes?

Maybe, just maybe they will be offering first year's tuition for free!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not sure what they recommend but all the docs I work with told me to get a littman cardiology III
They updated the website and it now says we have to buy our own http://www.jefferson.edu/university/skmc/admissions/admitted-students.html (under Medical Instruments).

The Admitted Students page says that Littman Cardiology III sets will be offered in the bookstore for a "special orientation week price" of $177. It seems to me that the same stethoscope is available new on Amazon for $85-$100, but I'm not really sure if there's a reason for the price difference or if we can go ahead with Amazon (I am pretty sure they don't actually care which stethoscope you buy but I assume you'd want a decent one

They updated the website and it now says we have to buy our own http://www.jefferson.edu/university/skmc/admissions/admitted-students.html (under Medical Instruments).

The Admitted Students page says that Littman Cardiology III sets will be offered in the bookstore for a "special orientation week price" of $177. It seems to me that the same stethoscope is available new on Amazon for $85-$100, but I'm not really sure if there's a reason for the price difference or if we can go ahead with Amazon (I am pretty sure they don't actually care which stethoscope you buy but I assume you'd want a decent one

It still does not say anywhere that we have to buy our own. Under the white coat tab it still says they'll be distributed at white coat with the correct date. The site has not been updated.

The must have just changed it on the website since so many students have been asking about it haha

Yeah, I've been on amazon and they seem to be around 180 for the Cardiology III but probably have more color options than the bookstore maybe? Although the bookstore one comes with all this extra stuff which I am not sure exactly what it all is haha

It still does not say anywhere that we have to buy our own. Under the white coat tab it still says they'll be distributed at white coat with the correct date. The site has not been updated.

If you look now at the website it only say name tags and white coats will be distributed

The must have just changed it on the website since so many students have been asking about it haha

Yeah, I've been on amazon and they seem to be around 180 for the Cardiology III but probably have more color options than the bookstore maybe? Although the bookstore one comes with all this extra stuff which I am not sure exactly what it all is haha
I have literally never used any accessories on my stethoscope. The only thing you maybe would need is a diaphragm for the small side of the scope for peds but honestly most people just use the bell without the diaphragm. You can hear just fine.

If you look now at the website it only say name tags and white coats will be distributed

No it doesn't. The paragraph directly underneath it says "stethoscopes will be distributed at the white coat ceremony, July 29, 2016".

No it doesn't. The paragraph directly underneath it says "stethoscopes will be distributed at the white coat ceremony, July 29, 2016".

Sorry, I'm coming off a 70 hour work week and my brain function hasn't quite returned to normal

To everyone freaking out about the stethoscope situation, relax. You don't need your stethoscope for at least 4-6 weeks into the year, and even then you're not really going to be using it for anything important. You will have plenty of time to get one if they aren't distributed; my advice is to just wait an see.

As for all the other equipment, don't bother. I regret wasting the money on the reflex hammer and tuning fork (the only thing the tuning fork is good for IMO is freaking my parents' dog out). Only accessory I'd even remotely consider recommending is a pen light, and most people just use their phone. I personally prefer a pen light just because 1) phone LEDs are bright as hell and some patients with sensitive eyes (myself included) do not appreciate that much light in their eye and 2) my phone's screen has seen better days and I'm not exactly proud to whip it out in front of patients.

To everyone freaking out about the stethoscope situation, relax. You don't need your stethoscope for at least 4-6 weeks into the year, and even then you're not really going to be using it for anything important. You will have plenty of time to get one if they aren't distributed; my advice is to just wait an see.

As for all the other equipment, don't bother. I regret wasting the money on the reflex hammer and tuning fork (the only thing the tuning fork is good for IMO is freaking my parents' dog out). Only accessory I'd even remotely consider recommending is a pen light, and most people just use their phone. I personally prefer a pen light just because 1) phone LEDs are bright as hell and some patients with sensitive eyes (myself included) do not appreciate that much light in their eye and 2) my phone's screen has seen better days and I'm not exactly proud to whip it out in front of patients.
Or just grab an otoscope off of the wall.

Hey guys, this is a dumb logistical question. If we live in on-campus housing, how does the money we are granted in loans actually get to PMC? Like does the money go into an account that I have access to? Because I noticed I need to turn in a monthly check, which is a little different from the way it worked at my undergrad.

Hey guys, this is a dumb logistical question. If we live in on-campus housing, how does the money we are granted in loans actually get to PMC? Like does the money go into an account that I have access to? Because I noticed I need to turn in a monthly check, which is a little different from the way it worked at my undergrad.

Yeah, it's not very intuitive. You have to link a checking account to your Jeff account (I don't have the link on me, just email financial aid and they'll send it to you). 7 days after loans are disbursed to the school, the refund (Loan total - tuition/fees) is deposited into your account. From then on, it's your responsibility to manage the funds and make sure you spend wisely and stay within your budget over the year.

Just accepted off of HPWL!!! She asked me if I needed a day or two to think about it and I told her I have been thinking about it for the last 3 months :p. Can't wait to meet my classmates in 6 weeks!

Reactions: 7 users
Just accepted off of HPWL!!! She asked me if I needed a day or two to think about it and I told her I have been thinking about it for the last 3 months :p. Can't wait to meet my classmates in 6 weeks!

Wow that's amazing, congratulations.

Get going getting things in order, not to be negative but you have a lot to get ready for and not a lot of time.

Wow that's amazing, congratulations.

Get going getting things in order, not to be negative but you have a lot to get ready for and not a lot of time.

I'm currently awaiting my financial aid package. Besides that I had a lot of stuff done already in terms of health requirements and background checks for the place I was already accepted to so hopefully most of it overlaps. Anyways, thanks! Do you remember how long it took for you to receive your financial aid award?

I'm currently awaiting my financial aid package. Besides that I had a lot of stuff done already in terms of health requirements and background checks for the place I was already accepted to so hopefully most of it overlaps. Anyways, thanks! Do you remember how long it took for you to receive your financial aid award?

My suggestion, call financial aid, tell them you were just accepted off the HPWL and tell them you need your aid package info ASAP. This will put it on their immediate radar if it isn't already and expedite things. I'd also email Susan McFadden; she's the director or co-director and oversees all MS1 and MS2 financial aid. Lovely woman and very easy and pleasant to talk to.

My suggestion, call financial aid, tell them you were just accepted off the HPWL and tell them you need your aid package info ASAP. This will put it on their immediate radar if it isn't already and expedite things. I'd also email Susan McFadden; she's the director or co-director and oversees all MS1 and MS2 financial aid. Lovely woman and very easy and pleasant to talk to.

Thanks! I'll do that tomorrow.

Do we have to run any software on our laptops for school or do we do everything on the iPad they give us? I'm trying to get a new laptop and I wasn't sure if there were any software requirements I should be aware of.

Do we have to run any software on our laptops for school or do we do everything on the iPad they give us? I'm trying to get a new laptop and I wasn't sure if there were any software requirements I should be aware of.

tdlr: Get whatever computer you feel is best for your needs.

ITS technically has a list of minimal requirements on their site. However, unless you're buying a 10 year old computer, any new laptop will meet those requirements. There is nothing you need a laptop for (after the iPad excitement wore off after the first two weeks, I reverted to using my laptop for most things to be honest, but it's a personal preference, others use solely their iPad as their computer). Any and everything in terms of software needs can be accomplished on your iPad. There are required apps you'll need to download, but the only software we use regularly is iCe (the med school's iPad App/website that is similar to blackboard but 100x more intuitive to use and 1000x more aesthetically pleasing) and ExamSoft, both of which run best on the iPad.

I use my laptop for 3 things:
1) YouTube
2) googling strange medical terms and words that Google insists I'm not actually trying to search for and shows me other things
3) Anki (which is such a basic lightweight program that any computer, even a 10 year old one, could run it with ease)

tdlr: Get whatever computer you feel is best for your needs.

ITS technically has a list of minimal requirements on their site. However, unless you're buying a 10 year old computer, any new laptop will meet those requirements. There is nothing you need a laptop for (after the iPad excitement wore off after the first two weeks, I reverted to using my laptop for most things to be honest, but it's a personal preference, others use solely their iPad as their computer). Any and everything in terms of software needs can be accomplished on your iPad. There are required apps you'll need to download, but the only software we use regularly is iCe (the med school's iPad App/website that is similar to blackboard but 100x more intuitive to use and 1000x more aesthetically pleasing) and ExamSoft, both of which run best on the iPad.

I use my laptop for 3 things:
1) YouTube
2) googling strange medical terms and words that Google insists I'm not actually trying to search for and shows me other things
3) Anki (which is such a basic lightweight program that any computer, even a 10 year old one, could run it with ease)

What do you use to listen to lectures?

What do you use to listen to lectures?

You can use the Panopto app on your iPad, you can use Panopto in any browser via Blackboard, or you can subscribe to them as podcasts and then will download as soon as they are available and play in the iPad's podcast app (my preference). Normally, all 3 are the same, but on rare occasion, IT messes something up (like fast forward options disabled, no video but audio, no audio but video, video cuts out early, etc.) on a particular format and it becomes better or necessary to use one of the other formats.