2015-2016 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No required questions, just an optional question asking if you have any additional information you want to share.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was going to apply here.

Then I read that all prereqs must be complete within 5 years of the application year, so yeaaaaah....no.
I graduated in 2012. So unless there's something I'm missing, there's no way that I, a chem/biochemistry major, am going to retake general chemistry and organic chemistry just to apply to one school...

Good luck everyone else, though!

Reactions: 1 user
From what I hear, this is a low-yield school in that the chances of getting II's are super slim due to large volume of applicants.
True?
Why is it such a popular place to apply to? I'm sure its a great school, but compared to others...

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I hear, this is a low-yield school in that the chances of getting II's are super slim due to large volume of applicants.
True?
Why is it such a popular place to apply to? I'm sure its a great school, but compared to others...
Location seems to me to be a contributing factor. Philadelphia is a great city (imo) if you ever get the chance to visit. Also, GPA/MCAT are not as high as Penn or other Top 20 schools.
c/sGPA = 3.7/3.7; MCAT = 33; 60+% OOS; Large class size = ~260
Strong applicants feel like its a good "safety" school and weaker applicants feel like they have a good shot at an interview. 10k applicants and ~800 interviews = 8% applicants granted II. A little lower than normal if you ask me. Still think I'll apply :p

My college years were 09-13

So on the website it says "All prerequisites should be completed within five years of the application year".

I called about this since I graduated in 2013, I was worried that my pre-reqs earned in 2009 may not count. The lady who I spoke to said I should be fine. Quite confusing if you ask me.

My college years were 09-13

So on the website it says "All prerequisites should be completed within five years of the application year".

I called about this since I graduated in 2013, I was worried that my pre-reqs earned in 2009 may not count. The lady who I spoke to said I should be fine. Quite confusing if you ask me.

Hmmm maybe I'll reconsider....

Hmmm maybe I'll reconsider....

I applied in 2012-2013 having completed my prereqs by 2002 (graduated undergrad with BA in Biology in 2004). It wasn't a problem- I'm now at the end of second year and studying for Step 1. . . don't let it stop you from applying (we're an awesome place for non-trads!).

Reactions: 2 users
It's crazy seeing the new year's thread opening up already. I am on the HPWL right now and this school is my top choice.

It's crazy seeing the new year's thread opening up already. I am on the HPWL right now and this school is my top choice.
GOOD LUCK, @nightfury414!! :) I hope you hear good news soon!!

Also...hello all! I am applying here this year and could not be more excited!!! I completely fell in love with this school when I was an undergrad in Philly and I cannot wait for the opportunity to apply this summer. Here's hoping for an interview!!

Incoming MS1 here. Cannot wait to start!
happiest students i've seen in a school by far and the diversity of the student body was not bad compared to other schools I interviewed at

True?

There's a few reasons:

1. It has a large class size (mine was 262, I don't know how big the incoming year is). More spots mean more applicants.

2. It is a private school that doesn't have in state preference (sorta). It has an association with Delaware, but that's only 20 spots IIRC. We have a ton of people from all over.

3. Philly is an awesome city and Jefferson is in a good area of the city (Center City).

4. It's not terribly numbers intensive. 3.7/33 as previously cited, but interviews go out to people all over the board.

5. It's an old school with a good reputation for producing great clinicians and has a massive alumni base.

Reactions: 1 users
What were secondaries last year? Are they expected to be the same this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just looked at previous secondary. Has anyone applied here before that didn't have individual letters from physics chem bio and humanities faculty and still got an interview?

I had letters from only bio and i still got interview

Just looked at previous secondary. Has anyone applied here before that didn't have individual letters from physics chem bio and humanities faculty and still got an interview?

Yeah, I just checked with them and let them know before I submitted. I didn't have one of them and I would say it worked out haha

Yeah, I just checked with them and let them know before I submitted. I didn't have one of them and I would say it worked out haha
I have to ask because I suspect you're a bit of a philly sports fan. You get much of a chance to catch sixers/phils/eagles games during school? Is there a following of philly sports teams within the school? Not that these are major factors, but I'd be lying if i didn't say it's at least a small reason why I hope to matriculate in the philly area haha.

Reactions: 3 users
I have to ask because I suspect you're a bit of a philly sports fan. You get much of a chance to catch sixers/phils/eagles games during school? Is there a following of philly sports teams within the school? Not that these are major factors, but I'd be lying if i didn't say it's at least a small reason why I hope to matriculate in the philly area haha.

You left out the flyers..... the hockey fan in me is now sad :(

You left out the flyers..... the hockey fan in me is now sad :(
Haha I'm just not as much of a fan of hockey Prolly bc I have no skill at the sport whatsoever. But I still root for the flyers just like any other dedicated philadelphian no worries.

Yes. A ton of us are fans. Jefferson actually has an association with the Philly sports teams since Rothman (Jefferson's Ortho department) is the official sports medicine provider for the Eagles/Phils/Flyers (don't know about the 6ers). Just yesterday, Swoop (Eagles mascot, for those who don't know) was hanging out in the Plaza on campus.

We have "discount" tickets available for those teams because of it. There's a pre-season raffle/ticket drawing to get to buy 2 tickets for an Eagles game. In theory there is one for the Phillies and Flyers, but the demand is much less for an 81 game-season compared to an 8 game season. Through that, I actually got to go to 2 Birds games. The guys around Jefferson's season tickets are suuuuper South Philly, too. Hilarious. I've also caught a few Phillies games as well, there's a few Jefferson events (half off tickets, for example).

The Sixers couldn't pay me to go last season, but there was a game or two where you got tickets for maybe $10 or something crazy.

Does Jefferson show any preference for people who grew up in Philadelphia? I would like to return to the Philadelphia area for medical school since my parents are aging and I want to be close to them. Would the additional comments section of the secondary be an appropriate area to discuss that?

Yes. A ton of us are fans. Jefferson actually has an association with the Philly sports teams since Rothman (Jefferson's Ortho department) is the official sports medicine provider for the Eagles/Phils/Flyers (don't know about the 6ers). Just yesterday, Swoop (Eagles mascot, for those who don't know) was hanging out in the Plaza on campus.

We have "discount" tickets available for those teams because of it. There's a pre-season raffle/ticket drawing to get to buy 2 tickets for an Eagles game. In theory there is one for the Phillies and Flyers, but the demand is much less for an 81 game-season compared to an 8 game season. Through that, I actually got to go to 2 Birds games. The guys around Jefferson's season tickets are suuuuper South Philly, too. Hilarious. I've also caught a few Phillies games as well, there's a few Jefferson events (half off tickets, for example).

The Sixers couldn't pay me to go last season, but there was a game or two where you got tickets for maybe $10 or something crazy.
This is awesome - thanks for the info! Do students have an opportunity to work with athletes or on research projects with Rothman and any of the sports affiliates?

And the phils aren't a farcry from sixers status right now either haha, although maikel franco has found a flare for the dramatic over the last week. chalk everything up as rebuilding years

This is honestly my top choice. I've shadowed here multiple times and have been a patient of their world famous eye hospital.
I couldn't be more impressed. I also live 45 minutes away by train....that helps!
But I love this school.

This is awesome - thanks for the info! Do students have an opportunity to work with athletes or on research projects with Rothman and any of the sports affiliates?

And the phils aren't a farcry from sixers status right now either haha, although maikel franco has found a flare for the dramatic over the last week. chalk everything up as rebuilding years

hahah the Phils are disgustingly horrible. Franco's performance has been a bright light, though. Nothing else though...

hahah the Phils are disgustingly horrible. Franco's performance has been a bright light, though. Nothing else though...

It's pretty amazing to compare the current Phillies team with the superteams they seemed to have on offense from 2008 to about 2011....not to mention that Lee/Halladay/Hamels/Oswalt rotation...goodness

Does Jefferson show any preference for people who grew up in Philadelphia? I would like to return to the Philadelphia area for medical school since my parents are aging and I want to be close to them. Would the additional comments section of the secondary be an appropriate area to discuss that?
In west Philadelphia I was born and raised.

It's pretty amazing to compare the current Phillies team with the superteams they seemed to have on offense from 2008 to about 2011....not to mention that Lee/Halladay/Hamels/Oswalt rotation...goodness

It is. Doesn't stop me from going to the Bank though for games :)

Professional athletes? Not sure. I'm part of Jefferson Athlete Health Organization, and we just had an event that provided free sports physicals for high school athletes and there is plenty of opportunity to shadow sports docs. I know quite a few people who work with research at Rothman. One of my classmates is in the OR 3 mornings a week as an MS1! He's not the norm, but opportunities are there if you look.

Baseball is my religion. Nothing could keep me from a ballpark. Nothing.

Interested in this as well! Just wish schools had a hypothetical median score for the new mcat

Professional athletes? Not sure. I'm part of Jefferson Athlete Health Organization, and we just had an event that provided free sports physicals for high school athletes and there is plenty of opportunity to shadow sports docs. I know quite a few people who work with research at Rothman. One of my classmates is in the OR 3 mornings a week as an MS1! He's not the norm, but opportunities are there if you look.

Baseball is my religion. Nothing could keep me from a ballpark. Nothing.
good stuff. thanks for the reply man it makes me more excited to be applying. might have to catch a ball game together if i end up there

good stuff. thanks for the reply man it makes me more excited to be applying. might have to catch a ball game together if i end up there

Luckily its a short subway ride away to the ballpark!

I wonder if it's worth applying here if I only have bio LORs...no chem, physics or humanities. 3.9 GPA, 35 MCAT, CA resident, reapplicant (haven't applied here before, but reapp in general)

If I'm correct, the website for their schools says its recommended to get an LOR from all four subjects.....or maybe I'm wrong? I only have chem letters so I'm sorta in the same boat.

Is it true Jefferson averages MCAT scores?

Also, should I bother applying if my average MCAT score is 30.5? thanks!!

I have a question for those of you who are well versed in Medical School Admissions and Prerequisites. My father and grandfather both attended and graduated from Jefferson Medical College, and I too have recently become interested in pursuing a medical degree as well. Because I do have family members who are Alumni, not to mention the beautiful campus, great curriculum/academic opportunities and reputation, Jefferson is my first choice for Medical Schools. However, I will be a senior this coming year at my University, and have not taken prerequisites for Medical School thus far. I read on the Jefferson Admissions page, "a variety of college course formats and combinations, including biology, general and organic chemistry and physics are a minimum." I am kind of confused by this. Does anyone know how many semesters/credit hours of each are required for admission? Sorry if this is a dumb question for those of you who have already gone through this process! I really appreciate the help! Thank you!

I have a question for those of you who are well versed in Medical School Admissions and Prerequisites. My father and grandfather both attended and graduated from Jefferson Medical College, and I too have recently become interested in pursuing a medical degree as well. Because I do have family members who are Alumni, not to mention the beautiful campus, great curriculum/academic opportunities and reputation, Jefferson is my first choice for Medical Schools. However, I will be a senior this coming year at my University, and have not taken prerequisites for Medical School thus far. I read on the Jefferson Admissions page, "a variety of college course formats and combinations, including biology, general and organic chemistry and physics are a minimum." I am kind of confused by this. Does anyone know how many semesters/credit hours of each are required for admission? Sorry if this is a dumb question for those of you who have already gone through this process! I really appreciate the help! Thank you!
Most medical require a year of general bio with lab, a year of chem with lab, a year of physics with lab, and a year of organic with lab. Some however let you substitute a semester of biochem for orgo. These are all prerecs for the MCAT as-well, along with sociology and psychology.

Anyone know if the secondary application might change this year? I know they just became "Sidney Kimmel"... Thoughts?

Hey, folks! I didn't realize the threads for the new application cycle had popped up. I'm a current MS3 at Jefferson, so if you guys have any questions feel free to ask here. Also feel free to PM me. Replies might take awhile, especially if your question is more involved, but I'll try to make room in my schedule to field any inquiries. Also feel free to pop on over to my "Ask Me Anything" thread for off-topic and fun questions!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey, folks! I didn't realize the threads for the new application cycle had popped up. I'm a current MS3 at Jefferson, so if you guys have any questions feel free to ask here. Also feel free to PM me. Replies might take awhile, especially if your question is more involved, but I'll try to make room in my schedule to field any inquiries. Also feel free to pop on over to my "Ask Me Anything" thread for off-topic and fun questions!
Seriously, use Doctor Strange. He's a great resource!

Just make sure you buy him a beer when you interview.

Shadowing here again in a few weeks. Excited! Maybe i'll have my secondary by then..