2015-2016 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
So I got put on hold pre-II in like september. Is that basically a rejection or should I be checking the portal around this time?

So I got put on hold pre-II in like september. Is that basically a rejection or should I be checking the portal around this time?
I'm not sure if that's basically a rejection, but I know they will email you when a decision is made. I'm not sure the portal would give you info much sooner

Reactions: 1 user
How do we withdraw from the "Under Consideration" list?

Anyone know what percentage of applicants under consideration will be offered an acceptance before the official wait list is created?

Thank you

Reactions: 1 users
I'm still have to book a hotel for my interview on 3/11 but I wasn't sure if anyone on here is interviewing the same day (male or female) and would like to split the cost.

My wallet and I will thank you

Placed on Under Consideration list today. Interviewed Feb. 23.

Placed on Under Consideration list today. Interviewed Feb. 23.
I interviewed the same day! Did you receive an email saying you were under consideration or did you find that info on the portal?

Anyone else joining me on 3/16?

When's albany's last interview date?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed the same day! Did you receive an email saying you were under consideration or did you find that info on the portal?

I received an email. (Found it in my spam folder...)

Anyone know what percentage of applicants under consideration will be offered an acceptance before the official wait list is created?

Thank you

They interview, let's say, 900 students. They accept 300 out of those to get a yield of 100 medical students (the other 40 come from their BMD program). So if you interview, you have a 33% chance of being accepted. If you're under consideration, it goes higher, probably up to 50% because they reject probably 300 or more after interviews and put remaining 600 UC. I'm just estimating though.

Has anyone heard back from the financial aid office with the details of your financial aid package? They said we'd see something before Apr 30, just wondering how close they're going to be to that date.

I am interviewing at Albany this Friday and I was wondering if any current students/students that have interviewed already could answer a few questions? The website doesn't lend itself to finding information easily.

1. What kind of research opportunities are there? Summer programs, time during M1 and M2?
2. Community service - how much is AMC involved in the community? Do they have particular programs already established?
3. What is the curriculum like? (is there PBL, TBL, simulations labs to use in addition to the traditional lectures?)
4. Are there opportunities to take a year in between M2 and M3 to be able to pursue a masters or a year of research?
5. Is there dedicated board study time during M2/what are the exams like (do they use USMLE type questions?)

Thank you in advance!

I am interviewing at Albany this Friday and I was wondering if any current students/students that have interviewed already could answer a few questions? The website doesn't lend itself to finding information easily.

1. What kind of research opportunities are there? Summer programs, time during M1 and M2?
2. Community service - how much is AMC involved in the community? Do they have particular programs already established?
3. What is the curriculum like? (is there PBL, TBL, simulations labs to use in addition to the traditional lectures?)
4. Are there opportunities to take a year in between M2 and M3 to be able to pursue a masters or a year of research?
5. Is there dedicated board study time during M2/what are the exams like (do they use USMLE type questions?)

Thank you in advance!

You'll have an informational session with staff, as well as a Q&A and tour with current students. You'll get answers to all these questions there.

You'll have an informational session with staff, as well as a Q&A and tour with current students. You'll get answers to all these questions there.

I figured but I was hoping to prepare a "Why Albany" answer in case that came up in one of the MMI stations. Preparing for standard questions just in case they get thrown in there

I figured but I was hoping to prepare a "Why Albany" answer in case that came up in one of the MMI stations. Preparing for standard questions just in case they get thrown in there

I humbly suggest you answer honestly as to why you applied there, instead of trying to manufacture something you think someone wants to hear.

I humbly suggest you answer honestly as to why you applied there, instead of trying to manufacture something you think someone wants to hear.

I am not trying to manufacture anything. Answers to those questions are all things that I am looking for in a school and I was just hoping to get some specifics to add in

@catie_jane my impression is that Albany isn't a school that is particularly research-oriented even though there are certainly opportunities there if you seek it. They didn't really talk a lot about research during the interview date. Also, I'm pretty sure most medical schools will be okay with students taking time off between MS2 and MS3 to do research though I could be wrong. I've never heard of a medical school saying "no, don't do research, we don't want that here".

Last edited:
@catie_jane my impression is that Albany isn't a school that is particularly research-oriented even though there are certainly opportunities there if you seek it. They didn't really talk a lot about iresearch during the interview date. Also, I'm pretty sure most medical schools will be okay with students taking time off between MS2 and MS3 to do research though I could be wrong. I've never heard of a medical school saying "no, don't do research we don't want that here".
To follow up on this I've asked about research a fair amount and it seems it is readily accessible (particularly in life sciences), clinical research appears to be a little bit more scarce.

Has anyone heard back from the financial aid office with the details of your financial aid package? They said we'd see something before Apr 30, just wondering how close they're going to be to that date.
I was wondering the same thing.. haven't heard anything.

Have they accepted a lot of UC students in bulk yet or are we still waiting for that to happen lol

I know a few have been accepted off the UC list, I was taken off in January

Are they still sending out interview invites to those "on hold" ?

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an email that I am "Under Consideration". Interviewed 2/23.

Is anyone interviewing tomorrow and want to grab dinner tonight?

To follow up on this I've asked about research a fair amount and it seems it is readily accessible (particularly in life sciences), clinical research appears to be a little bit more scarce.
On the contrary, clinical research is just as readily available, if not more so.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Received a totally unexpected II this morning. There were three dates available: March 31st, April 5th, and April 13th.

Received a totally unexpected II this morning. There were three dates available: March 31st, April 5th, and April 13th.

Had you had any notification from the school before then? hold, etc?

accepted, interviewed early March, LizzyM high 60s

Anyone know if the $100 deposit is refundable by April 30?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Okay, so MMI was not so bad!
I liked AMC so much more than i thought i would

If I have a scheduled interview am I interviewing for a wait list spot at this point? Did Albany fill up their class already? Literally my last hope for an acceptance...

Accepted just now!! Was under consideration since November! :)

Accepted, interviewed 12/4 but will be withdrawing :) hope it goes to one of you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
If I have a scheduled interview am I interviewing for a wait list spot at this point? Did Albany fill up their class already? Literally my last hope for an acceptance...

Not even close. I dont want to feel like i was mislead, but they told us they dont accept a lot of students outright, many end up on the UC list. You receive a ranking and they adjust the bottom threshold for the UC list ever so often and those students get their acceptances. Their class is not full, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted today as well after UC in November! Guess it's worth a second look- can any one else not access their acceptance packet on the portal, or am I looking in the wrong place??