2015-2016 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been pulled from the hold category yet? Been on hold since November with an email containing this:

"Hold" category applicants can expect to be informed between mid-March and late-April of whether or not they will receive an interview.

Hoping for another interview shot late in the cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted today as well after UC in November! Guess it's worth a second look- can any one else not access their acceptance packet on the portal, or am I looking in the wrong place??

Hmm I've been able to view my acceptance package. I clicked the link that was in the email.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I have a scheduled interview am I interviewing for a wait list spot at this point? Did Albany fill up their class already? Literally my last hope for an acceptance...

I was wondering the same thing since it is a little late in the cycle. I was II this Wednesday and will be going to interview the end of the month. I don't think they filled up their class or they would have stopped interviewing. I feel like there is always a scramble towards April-May since students shuffle between acceptances and wait for their most desirable spot.

Accepted yesterday! Interviewed 2/4, UC 2/12. Didn't send in any updates post-interview or post-UC.

Reactions: 1 users
Albany openly states that they put a lot of their applicants on the UC list so that all of their interviewees have the same chance at acceptance (same chance for someone in September vs April). So if you have an II there is a good chance you will still be acceptef

Reactions: 4 users
How are you guys filling out the packet and paying the check? Is everyone overnighting the check? Is there no online payment option?

Withdrawing my acceptance. Hope one of you gets it!!

Reactions: 2 users
How are you guys filling out the packet and paying the check? Is everyone overnighting the check? Is there no online payment option?
I overnighted the check - I was dumb and didn't realize that you have have however many days to respond to the e-mail and then however many days after you respond to the e-mail to get the check in - but they got my check just fine!

Also how important do you guys think second look day is? I'm leaning towards not wanting to spend the money to fly to New York, but I also interviewed way back in September ...

Also how important do you guys think second look day is? I'm leaning towards not wanting to spend the money to fly to New York, but I also interviewed way back in September ...

Was just about to ask the same question. I don't see anything on accepted portal about it. Anyone know?

Was just about to ask the same question. I don't see anything on accepted portal about it. Anyone know?
I live only about a 3 hour drive away, so even though I know I am attending at this point, I am still going to go. I think it will be good for looking at the area for apartments/housing specifically meeting roommates in person before having to commit to a lease. However, I don't think it is that important.

I live only about a 3 hour drive away, so even though I know I am attending at this point, I am still going to go. I think it will be good for looking at the area for apartments/housing specifically meeting roommates in person before having to commit to a lease. However, I don't think it is that important.

When is it / how did you learn the details? Email or on portal?

Members don't see this ad :)
GOODLUCK TOMORROW!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Rejected pre-II, previous hold

513 MCAT, 3.97 masters GPA, lower ugpa, OOS

Rejected pre-II, previous hold

513 MCAT, 3.97 masters GPA, lower ugpa, OOS

Interesting. When did you go on hold? Been on hold since November here and the email said hold status people would hear between mid March and late April. No word here yet. Have any other hold status people heard? I'm curious if they're in that category for interviews now or if they filled the class before needing to.

Interesting. When did you go on hold? Been on hold since November here and the email said hold status people would hear between mid March and late April. No word here yet. Have any other hold status people heard? I'm curious if they're in that category for interviews now or if they filled the class before needing to.

I was put on pre-interview hold on 10/21/15.

Pre-interview rejection today from hold status established in November. Specifically, they said they had met their interviewing numbers goal, so I'm guessing that they had no need to turn to Hold category candidates this year. Good luck on the rest of your cycle everyone.

Adding to the pre-II post-hold rejections. Here's the message they sent:

Earlier this season, your application was reviewed by our admissions committee and placed in the "hold" category. This designation provides a reserve group of applicants should we find that an inadequate number of files were initially screened for interview. Now, as we near the end of the interview season, we know that we have met our goal. Thus, I am writing to tell you that your status has been changed to "no interview".

We appreciate the interest that you have expressed in the Albany Medical College and wish you good luck in your pursuit of a medical education.

Adding to the pre-II post-hold rejections. Here's the message they sent:

Earlier this season, your application was reviewed by our admissions committee and placed in the "hold" category. This designation provides a reserve group of applicants should we find that an inadequate number of files were initially screened for interview. Now, as we near the end of the interview season, we know that we have met our goal. Thus, I am writing to tell you that your status has been changed to "no interview".

We appreciate the interest that you have expressed in the Albany Medical College and wish you good luck in your pursuit of a medical education.

Just out of curiosity, did the original "hold" email inform you of this (that your application wouldn't be reviewed unless they found they didn't screen enough files)? / what did the hold email say?

Just out of curiosity, did the original "hold" email inform you of this (that your application wouldn't be reviewed unless they found they didn't screen enough files)? / what did the hold email say?

Your application to the Albany Medical College has been placed in the "Hold" category.

As we review applications, we inevitably find that the number of qualified applications exceeds the number of applicants that we are able to interview. From an applicant pool of approximately 9,000 candidates, roughly 1,000 will be invited to interview. Screening is done on an ongoing basis as applications become complete, and each applicant is assigned an overall screening score.

In some cases, a final screening decision is temporarily deferred. If over the course of the admissions season we find that too few candidates were initially invited to interview, we will turn to the "Hold" category and invite selected applicants to interview. Candidates will be chosen from the "Hold" category based upon their initial screening score (they will not be reevaluated by the Admissions Committee). Please note that your screening score and rank are confidential and the Admissions Office will not release that information if queried. "Hold" category applicants can expect to be informed between mid-March and late-April of whether or not they will receive an interview.

As a reminder, we do not accept updates or letters of interest sent to us via fax, "regular mail", or email to supplement the required documents to complete your file. Unsolicited updates that are sent to our office will not be added to your file, nor will they be acknowledged. We will contact you if the Admissions Committee requests updated information.

The Admissions Office will contact you should your present status change. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us at [email protected].

Mine said this:

Your application to the Albany Medical College has been placed in the "Hold" category.

As we review applications, we inevitably find that the number of qualified applications exceeds the number of applicants that we are able to interview. From an applicant pool of approximately 9,000 candidates, roughly 1,000 will be invited to interview. Screening is done on an ongoing basis as applications become complete, and each applicant is assigned an overall screening score.

In some cases, a final screening decision is temporarily deferred. If over the course of the admissions season we find that too few candidates were initially invited to interview, we will turn to the "Hold" category and invite selected applicants to interview. Candidates will be chosen from the "Hold" category based upon their initial screening score (they will not be reevaluated by the Admissions Committee). Please note that your screening score and rank are confidential and the Admissions Office will notrelease that information if queried. "Hold" category applicants can expect to be informed between mid-March and late-April of whether or not they will receive an interview.

As a reminder, we do not accept updates or letters of interest sent to us via fax, "regular mail", or email to supplement the required documents to complete your file. Unsolicited updates that are sent to our office will not be added to your file, nor will they be acknowledged. We will contact you if the Admissions Committee requests updated information.

The Admissions Office will contact you should your present status change. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us at [email protected].

Accepted earlier this morning via email!

Interviewed 3/11, never placed o the UC list

Reactions: 7 users
Hopefully that means good news for others that may have recently interviewed there also. Wink

Reactions: 2 users
Does that make 3 or more for you? From zero to 100 real quick. Lol

That's what I'm saying. I'm elated but also wish that they had been a little more spread out to balance out all the misery early on haha

Guess that means i get to squirm a bit now considering i interviewed on 3/16

Withdraw my acceptance here, best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I
That's what I'm saying. I'm elated but also wish that they had been a little more spread out to balance out all the misery early on haha
I remember. Lol. What a difference a few days makes

Well, 4th post-interview rejection today. Just confirming I am not good at interviews.

Best of luck to the rest of you!

Well, 4th post-interview rejection today. Just confirming I am not good at interviews.

Best of luck to the rest of you!

I'm sorry to hear that :( but at least you have an acceptance already!

have you gotten any feedback from schools or neutral parties on your interviewing skills?

Did anyone else's II get sent to their spam?

Yes! Same thing happened to me! Worked with admissions and I still get to interview though...phew! Interview on 4/05...hoping for the best here and that I still have a shot at straight acceptance...

Yes! Same thing happened to me! Worked with admissions and I still get to interview though...phew! Interview on 4/05...hoping for the best here and that I still have a shot at straight acceptance...

What email address did the II come from? Thinking I might add it to my safe senders list on the off chance they actually do invite me, haha

Did anyone hear back lately?

Last edited:
What email address did the II come from? Thinking I might add it to my safe senders list on the off chance they actually do invite me, haha

It came from: [email protected]

Also, I don't wanna crush your hopes or anything, but just so everyone on this thread knows, when I went to pick a date for the interview, there were only 2 dates left, 4/5 and 4/13. Also it was like a big deal for them to re-open the portal to let me sign up after the deadline (thanks spam mail....) so they might be done with interview invites.

No hopes crushed, it's so late now that if they're done interviewing it wouldn't surprise me. Appreciate the info though!! Good luck on the 5th :)

Accepted! Interviewed 3/22. Love the school and will attend!

Last edited:
Been on the UC list since February and had my interview in January...dying to get into this school, is there any hope?? :(

No hopes crushed, it's so late now that if they're done interviewing it wouldn't surprise me. Appreciate the info though!! Good luck on the 5th :)

Thanks so much! Good luck to you this application cycle!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Been on the UC list since February and had my interview in January...dying to get into this school, is there any hope?? :(

According to the MSAR: "Typically, around 300 are offered a position on the wait list. In 2015, 207 responded yes to being kept on the wait list."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know when the exact start date is/orientation? I think I saw online the Fall 2016 semester starts August 29. Need to plan some trips

That seems late. The last couple of years, orientation (the week before classes start, and mandatory) was first week of August.