2014-2015 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I got the background check last week some time.

I see. When did you get your acceptance notice? Mine was the first week of december so I'm just wondering why it's taking so long lol

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just had my interview with Upstate, and they said it would take five weeks for them to decide. As you guys know, on your Interview page there is an option to upload my Fall grades. They aren't spectacular (I got a 3.425) so I certainly wouldn't obtain an advantage from submitting them, but if I didn't would they regard it as suspicious?
EDIT: I'm sorry if this question has already been asked in this thread, but I don't have the time right now to read through all 20 pages of it haha.

Hey! Anyone still on pre-interview hold that has not heard anything? I've been on hold since October and haven't gotten an interview day or a rejection so I don't know whether I should email or just wait.

I have been pre-interview HOLD since November and I just sent them an ITA email.
They responded "You will have a decision soon"

Anyone from pre-II hold got an II?
I am so afraid the email would look bad on my part. I did mention I did not want to rush the process.

For real, whoever said "enjoy the process" never applied to Medical School.
Hoping and praying to G-d that II is MINE.

bakingsoda --

whatever you do, do not call to double check you were accepted.

congrats.

-- ms1

Yeah, I got the confirmation email today. What happens if you call? Do they strike you off the list or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they ever send admissions decisions on weekends if your portal changed on a friday?

Do they ever send admissions decisions on weekends if your portal changed on a friday?
I don't think I have seen that happen yet, but you never know! Do you mind sharing your interview date?

Yeah, Sunday decision for me. By the way, what's all this about a background check email? I haven't heard anything...:confused:

Accepted today. OOS, LM 72. Mid-December interview.

For those who were on Pre-II hold, I was there too.

falcon --

in my humble opinion, not submitting your fall grades is like not waiving your recommendation rights, your mileage may vary though.

-- ms1
Okay, thanks. One of my issues though is that I got an Incomplete in one class. I've since submitted the extra work that I needed to get a grade (which I estimate should be an A- or B+) but the teacher hasn't gotten back to me yet. They told us it'll take about five weeks for the committee to get to us so I guess I'll hope she gets back to me soon. My sci GPA before this past semester was a 3.53 so I guess getting a 3.425 for the past semester shouldn't affect my chances too insanely, seeing as how I also think I did quite well in the interviews. Let me know how you feel.

Rejected off Pre-II Hold.

Kind of saw it coming, but still hurts nonetheless. :unsure:

I called because I didn't get an email or packet and the message saying I was accepted had disappeared. What's done is done, no one seemed to be mad about it and I got the packet soon after.

I think that's a legitimate reason, and not really what @upstatemedms1 seems to be advising against (it really depends on the context)

Addendum: Got the background check email last night/this morning and felt super paranoid filling the info out lol.

Stay safe in Juno everyone! :)

Accepted! I got an email yesterday (that somehow ended up in my spam filter), but my portal has not changed to show my acceptance. Has this happened to anyone else?

Accepted! I got an email yesterday (that somehow ended up in my spam filter), but my portal has not changed to show my acceptance. Has this happened to anyone else?
Happened to me, there's a bit of a delay.
upload_2015-1-26_17-48-11.png

I'm on the HPA--would sending in an additional (very strong) letter of recommendation AND an LOI help me or would it seem overkill? Or should I just send one over the other. Any thoughts? Upstate is really a top choice for me and I would like to do anything to improve my chances of being called off this list!

I'm on the HPA--would sending in an additional (very strong) letter of recommendation AND an LOI help me or would it seem overkill? Or should I just send one over the other. Any thoughts? Upstate is really a top choice for me and I would like to do anything to improve my chances of being called off this list!
I'm on the HPA too but I always thought that the list was ranked and something that wasn't subject to change. I could be wrong but thats just how I interpreted it. Your spot is your spot but sadly you don't really know what your spot is until at least May :/

Invited to interview first week of March. Complete 8/12. Pre-Interview hold 9/8. Offer to interview 1/30.

Non-NYS resident. Cum. Undergrad GPA 3.3 with a 3.6 postbacc GPA and 34 MCAT. Lots of research and currently working at a major research center.

***HEADS UP***
I almost missed my offer to interview because it went to my spam folder, every other correspondence from upstate didn't do that. Two other people in my office applying to upstate had the same problem.
Good Luck to everyone out there. Hope this info helps, everyone else waiting or on hold.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
When should we expect our background check email if accepted? Or do we have to go somewhere to do that ourselves?

When should we expect our background check email if accepted? Or do we have to go somewhere to do that ourselves?
Don't worry certiphi will email you.

Just found out I got put on the HPA wait list (interviewed 12/10). Definitely sad since upstate was my top choice. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I should do at this point?

Just found out I got put on the HPA wait list (interviewed 12/10). Definitely sad since upstate was my top choice. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I should do at this point?

sadly there's nothing you can do but wait and hope.

sadly there's nothing you can do but wait and hope.

Not even a thank you note/letter of intent saying thanks for taking the time to consider my app and that though I understand their decision I am still very hopeful that I will be moved off the list?

Not even a thank you note/letter of intent saying thanks for taking the time to consider my app and that though I understand their decision I am still very hopeful that I will be moved off the list?

From what I understand, the list is basically set and you can't do much to change your position on it. it's worth a try though, and maybe you can report back how it goes if you do try.

From what I understand, the list is basically set and you can't do much to change your position on it. it's worth a try though, and maybe you can report back how it goes if you do try.

Yea I don't think it'll move my position within the list, but it doesn't hurt. At the very least they'll know I'm still very interested in Upstate.

drlax --

upstate med is organ system now to prepare us for step 1, that way we are used to the blooms orders of the vignettes.
during ms1, we are doing more anat (gross & micro), path, phys, & rads, and we are doing less pbl, pom, and elsim.
during ms2, that switches as we do more clinical science and less basic science so we are used to ddx'ing.

i think the curriculum changes have been just what upstate med needed. i am proud to me doing my md in syracuse.

-- ms1

edit: upstate med is p/f now for ms1 & ms2 (it used to be h/hp/p for ms1 - ms4)

May sound stupid but can you clarify the acronyms here? (pom? elsim? p/f? h/hp/p?) I apologize. I'd also love to hear your thoughts on why upstate is great and what makes you proud to be attending! I can't seem to find much out online and have a hard time getting in contact with the one student that I know who goes there because he is so busy!