2014-2015 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have couple questions, if any current students can answer any of these questions, I'd really appreciate it.

1. Do you need a car? If you live at Geneva Tower, then I'm guessing that you wouldn't need a car for at least MS1 and 2 years, but what about the 3rd and 4th years, if you're assigned to syracuse for the clinical campus? My understanding is that if you're assigned to syracuse, then all clinical will be done at university hospital, correct? Also, are there any walking distance grocery stores near the campus, in addition to any cafes, restaurants, stores, etc? How safe is the area? Finally how many current classmates would you say live at Geneva as opposed to off campus apartment?

2. I was doing some research online on Upstate, curriculum, admin, and also the probation status which ended in the summer of 2013 I believe. Do you feel like the university has made real changes in terms of the curriculum, and listening to the student feedback?

3. General environment? How is the interaction among students; is the environment geared towards collaboration and being supportive or more competitive/cut throat? The impression I got on my interview day was that it was more of the former, but I wanted to get a current student's opinion on this.

4. Minority and LGBT students, do you feel like there are enough support system not only among students but also the administration, professors, etc? Again, one of the things that got Upstate into probation was higher than average number of complaints concerning discrimination/mistreatment based on race, sexual orientation, etc, and me being a member of these two groups, I was rather alarmed by the report, albeit it was 2 years ago.

5. Can anyone speak of the medical spanish elective, and also study abroad opportunities? What were your experiences like?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any updates? Growing anxious to hear back > <

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called admissions today and they said that the committee will meet sometimes this week so hopefully we'll hear something by the end of this week/early next week?

Anyone that interviewed around 11/5 hear anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
Portal changed. Interviewed 11/19. Sweating so hard right now xD

HPA email this morning. Meh, more waiting I guess...

~71 LizzyM, OOS

HPA is the High Priority Alternate list. Does anyone know how many ppl are put on this list each year?

I guess us early December people have a ways to go! hoping for good news for all of you anxiously waiting

Accepted!!! First one and I'm ecstatic!!! I hope everyone else still waiting hears back some good news as well!!

LizzyM ~ 72, IS
Interviewed 11/19

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!!!
LizzyM ~70, IS
Interviewed 11/12
Noticed portal change this morning
Email acceptance ~1hr later

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted! LM >74, IS. Interviewed early November. Portal changed a couple days ago, email received this morning!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted! The email was sitting in my spam filter for the last 7 hours while I was sitting here worried. haha

IS, LizzyM ~68-69. Interviewed November 5th.

Reactions: 4 users
holy cow, lots of acceptances! congrats to you all and I hope to be in your shoes soon!

Anyone know how long it takes for the acceptance package to come after getting the email?

Does anyone know how much the deposit is?

Any idea on what the general odds are to get accepted of the High Priority Alternate list? Just kinda wondering where I stand in regards to Upstate.

Hey everyone - accepted on Friday; super excited because I love this school. I there anything we can do before the acceptance packet comes in the mail? I also imagine there will be instructions in there on how to submit the deposit and when the deadline is.

Hey everyone - accepted on Friday; super excited because I love this school. I there anything we can do before the acceptance packet comes in the mail? I also imagine there will be instructions in there on how to submit the deposit and when the deadline is.
Nothing to do right now except be patient. The deposit deadline is 2 weeks from acceptance.

Any idea on what the general odds are to get accepted of the High Priority Alternate list? Just kinda wondering where I stand in regards to Upstate.

From what I recall, the dean said there's quite a bit of movement on the high priority waitlist and little to none on the regular waitlist. I think you have a good shot at acceptance here!

oh man. my interview info is gone from the portal. don't know if I can handle another waitlist :(

guys --

your portal being changed is a good sign that your status has been changed.
for new york, i find that the literature takes 3-4 business days (roughly a week because of saturday/sunday).

-- ms1

p.s. ~95% of matriculating students are in-state, so kudos to the out-of-staters.

p.p.s. i recommend just submitting the $100 deposit, no matter what.

Do you mean once the portal status has changed (ie: no interview invite showing anymore), that it will take 3-4 business days to find out what the decision is? Did some people say they found out that day?

guys --

your portal being changed is a good sign that your status has been changed.
for new york, i find that the literature takes 3-4 business days (roughly a week because of saturday/sunday).

-- ms1

p.s. ~95% of matriculating students are in-state, so kudos to the out-of-staters.

p.p.s. i recommend just submitting the $100 deposit, no matter what.

Do you happen to know if OOS students are ever given outright acceptances? And is it a good sign for OOS applicants to be on the high priority alternate list?

Got an interview here tomorrow morning! Excited. Heard good things about the locale and their program.

Do you mean once the portal status has changed (ie: no interview invite showing anymore), that it will take 3-4 business days to find out what the decision is? Did some people say they found out that day?

I believe that's to receive the acceptance info in the mail once accepted. seems like typically people hear the next day once the portal changes. so scared!

on the interview page it says they only interview through January, which is a shorter season than most of the other places i've seen. i wonder if this means they interview fewer people overall and/or this points to a higher % of interviewees who are accepted

can someone who has interviewed here already comment on the number of people at your interview?

on the interview page it says they only interview through January, which is a shorter season than most of the other places i've seen. i wonder if this means they interview fewer people overall and/or this points to a higher % of interviewees who are accepted

can someone who has interviewed here already comment on the number of people at your interview?
I believe there were 18 people at my interview. However, I do know people who received March interview dates over a month ago so they do not stop in January

It may have meant that they stop giving invites in January.