2014-2015 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Acceptance email came this week!!!!! Upstate is definitely somewhere I can see myself attending.
Interviewed in November, IS. LM 75-76

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
ending interviews in january would seem to explain the existence of their so-called "high-priority waitlist", which more or less could be seen as de facto acceptances. decide on your pool of people you like by feburary, pick names off the mover list as people withdraw, and accept people off the other wait list if necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
The website says interviews are till march, and RIPCombo says ppl he knows have March interviews. But idk, I already know I have to wait regardless lol.

I had seen that same info on their website, but they actually interview until March. I am scheduled for an interview in February (they gave me that back in October) so that proves that interviews don't end in January

CONGRATS to all the recent acceptances!!!

Join us on the accepted Facebook group: SUNY Upstate Medical University class of 2019

Has anyone who was placed 'on hold for spring review' received any updates yet?

what's been the typical wait from status change to decision? :antsy:

Members don't see this ad :)
yea I have this feeling I won't hear until Monday or Sunday night. changed yesterday

Accepted! OOS...congrats to everyone on acceptance. So excited to start!

haha sorry it was a monday interview so maybe the 10th. I apologize, I didn't look at the calendar before posting that, for some reason the 8th just stuck out in my head. I found this forum today and thought it would be nice to reach out to fellow student who are entering this fall and congratulate everyone on their acceptance.

More devastating news for me during a devastating process. High priority alternate list for me.

Ahhh no :-/ your time is coming, friend. The good news you get in the future is going to be so much sweeter now!

I hope so, but at the same time I'm finding it difficult to remain hopeful with bad news becoming the norm for me here lol. trying to stay positive

I hope so, but at the same time I'm finding it difficult to remain hopeful with bad news becoming the norm for me here lol. trying to stay positive
Stay positive buddy! I am sure you are bound to hear good news. When did you interview for upstate?

Hey! Anyone still on pre-interview hold that has not heard anything? I've been on hold since October and haven't gotten an interview day or a rejection so I don't know whether I should email or just wait.

Reactions: 1 users
More devastating news for me during a devastating process. High priority alternate list for me.
the dean of admissions said the HPA list has significant movement. it's not an outright acceptance, but the med students stressed to us that getting placed on the HPA list is a positive outcome

the dean of admissions said the HPA list has significant movement. it's not an outright acceptance, but the med students stressed to us that getting placed on the HPA list is a positive outcome
What about students who were on hold? Are there many students on hold who end up matriculating?

thanks! that's extremely encouraging to hear, and I really hope you're right!

Anything we can do to help our chances? send updates or anything?

If it makes you feel any better, getting a spot on the HPA is way better than rejection or a seat on the low priority list. There's heavy movement on the list every year. No reason to lose hope!

Hey guys, in order to accept the offer, all you had to do was go online, click "yes" and pay the 100 dollar deposit right? That's it?

Hey guys, in order to accept the offer, all you had to do was go online, click "yes" and pay the 100 dollar deposit right? That's it?

That's what I was told and did!

Hey! Anyone still on pre-interview hold that has not heard anything? I've been on hold since October and haven't gotten an interview day or a rejection so I don't know whether I should email or just wait.

Same with me, received the decision this morning.

there is no rhyme or reason to it i've found. however, i have heard lag times from zero (same day) to 2 weeks (6-8 business days). the average has been 1 week (3-4 business days).

stay calm, drink a beer, and watch a movie.

I had a question. if I'm on the HPWL, would a letter of intent mean anything, or do they kinda not wanna be bothered with those?

khriss --

this is neither correlation nor causation, but the two or three out of state first year medical students i know of have matriculated through post-baccalaureate programs or masters in public health.
if you are an out of state medical school applicant at upstate medical university, then that is a good sign.

-- ms1

the director/dean of admissions lady at the interview (i think her first name was jennifer?) said that the in state/OOS selection process occurs pre-interview, and that once you've passed the II stage everyone is on equal footing

Did you guys get the criminal background check thing yet? Mine hasn't come yet and just wondering when I'll be getting that.

I haven't gotten the email yet or packet, but portal changed to accepted! *enormous sigh of relief* This is the only school that I interviewed at, and I wasn't feeling too optimistic about my chances.

I put down the deposit, but the paranoid part of me is wondering whether this is some huge, horrible mistake.....I see it took some people a little bit to get their emails, but should I call the office to make sure or should I sit tight?

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't gotten the email yet or packet, but portal changed to accepted! *enormous sigh of relief* This is the only school that I interviewed at, and I wasn't feeling too optimistic about my chances.

I put down the deposit, but the paranoid part of me is wondering whether this is some huge, horrible mistake.....I see it took some people a little bit to get their emails, but should I call the office to make sure or should I sit tight?
Congrats! When did you interview?

sit tight
I too, saw a status change and put in a deposit immediately back in November
i never ended up getting an email but a packet showed up in the mail a couple weeks later with big words congratulating you on your acceptance.
congrats!

Last edited:
sit tight
I too, saw a status change and put in a deposit immediately back in october
i never ended up getting an email but a packet showed up in the mail a couple weeks later with big words congratulating you on your acceptance.
congrats!

Thanks! I feel a lot better now. =)