2014-2015 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry everyone! I didn't mean to bash Indy or make anyone that picked Indy question their decision! I just wanted some input because the few people are Indy I know aren't the biggest fans. I'm sure Indy is great and there are many happy people there.

If we change our preferences does that reset our submission date?????? Because I know they place people based on when the submitted there preferences as well as other factors......I want to change my list but not if it is going to set me back a couple weeks on my submission date.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry everyone! I didn't mean to bash Indy or make anyone that picked Indy question their decision! I just wanted some input because the few people are Indy I know aren't the biggest fans. I'm sure Indy is great and there are many happy people there.

If we change our preferences does that reset our submission date?????? Because I know they place people based on when the submitted there preferences as well as other factors......I want to change my list but not if it is going to set me back a couple weeks on my submission date.
In past threads they say that resubmitting does set you back to the new submission date

Reactions: 1 user

If I understood what they were telling me at the info session, the campus placement process has changed this year. It sounds like they are making it completely randomized, and it no longer has a human taking "preferences" into account. Basically, it sounded like a lottery system. But they weren't entirely clear on it, so you might want to check in with the office on it.

As far as Indy vs. regional campuses, I know a few students at both. I think that because the Indy campus class is bigger, they don't have the small "family" feel to it. So it's easier to get sort of lost in the shuffle. That being said, all the Indy people I knew loved it.

On the flip side, I knew more people that dropped out when they were in the regional campuses. I think if you're unhappy there, it sort of magnifies the effect since the small class size forces more attention onto each person.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah exactly!! I know people at muncie, terra haute and gary and those are the 3 least appealing locations to me but they all love it! I think some of the other locations that are better like south bend or lafayette would be great! I'm just torn because I always thought I'd go Indy as my 1 and all my friends are putting that as their 1 but I just know too many people there that hate it. 1 of my good friends dropped out the first semester and another one was seriously thinking about dropping out. The happiest people I know in Indy are the ones that say it is okay. But people at the regional campuses or other medical schools say how much they absolutely love it. I've never heard that from an Indy student.....

All this talk is making me sad! I put Indy as my top choice. I didn't realize students weren't happy there. What don't students like about it there?

I know a lot of people who are second and third years who absolutely love indy. People who hate it are going to be more likely to tell you that because people who love it are too busy enjoying it. Med school is hard no matter where you go. Everyone has moments where they hate a specific aspect of it. If you really want to be a doctor and this is your dream you're just going to be happy you get to achieve it. If you weren't really sure if this is what you want, it's going to be difficult to preservers when times get rough. I've seen a lot of students who think this is what they want and then when it gets really tough they decide otherwise (which is totally fine too!) but your campus selection is going to play a very minor role in your happiness. I've been at indy for several years in various capacities and I love it there. My professors are amazing, it is easy to get around and the resources are available at your finger tips. Now I'm not in the MD program but I am apart of the school so I can't specifically address that. But I can say that I have very much enjoyed being in indy and I have friends in my same program who hate it. But they don't hate it because of indy. They hate it because they choose to hate it for one reason or another. I also know several people who love and hate regional campuses. My interpretation is that you're going to be happy if you choose to be. Most people hate it because it is hard but that is not specific to indy. Med school is hard no matter what. It's how you react to it being hard that determines how happy you are. As the ever so wise Hannah Montana says (sorry I had to). Happy selecting everyone! View attachment 190867

OOOO the joy of worrying about what campus to love and what campus to hate. I think I speak for all those who haven't heard back (like myself) when I say, we just wish we can get to the stage of worrying about which campus.....

OOOO the joy of worrying about what campus to love and what campus to hate. I think I speak for all those who haven't heard back (like myself) when I say, we just wish we can get to the stage of worrying about which campus.....
Sorry...that is a good point. I didn't mean to be inconsiderate!

What is it that you want to change? Your number 1?
Yeah :/. I am torn between south bend and Indy. I like the block curriculum of south bend...but the location of Indy is more appealing and there are more students to meet and befriend....any advice? What are you thinking for location? PM if you want to talk pros and cons so we don't offend any people on here who haven't been accepted! Up to you though!

Sorry...that is a good point. I didn't mean to be inconsiderate!

LOL. Oh no, not at all. It's not being inconsiderate. This is stuff to consider and you're helping out people. I just meant to motivate those who haven't heard back is all.

Yeah :/. I am torn between south bend and Indy. I like the block curriculum of south bend...but the location of Indy is more appealing and there are more students to meet and befriend....any advice? What are you thinking for location? PM if you want to talk pros and cons so we don't offend any people on here who haven't been accepted! Up to you though!
Sorry, I'm still waiting to hear as well. I was just throwing out some info I had seen previously in past threads. Good luck deciding.

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be deviating from the current topic, but (for those that have not heard back) does anyone know when the final day is that we should be hearing back? I'm considering making a phone call to admissions to ask about this, but I don't want to sound pushy or anything. My friend was told many of us (2/11 interviews) should hear back mid-April, but I'm curious to see if anyone else was told different. Congrats to those who are accepted and currently worried about campus assignments though! I wish I were in your position :(

This may be deviating from the current topic, but (for those that have not heard back) does anyone know when the final day is that we should be hearing back? I'm considering making a phone call to admissions to ask about this, but I don't want to sound pushy or anything. My friend was told many of us (2/11 interviews) should hear back mid-April, but I'm curious to see if anyone else was told different. Congrats to those who are accepted and currently worried about campus assignments though! I wish I were in your position :(

Iu is infamous for making applicants wait as late as June

one of my friends didn't get accepted until mid july last year! It was her only acceptance so she had already sent out primary apps through amcas to about 20 schools for the next cycle because she was so scared she wasn't going to get in anywhere again....huge waste of money but at least she got in!

If I understood what they were telling me at the info session, the campus placement process has changed this year. It sounds like they are making it completely randomized, and it no longer has a human taking "preferences" into account. Basically, it sounded like a lottery system. But they weren't entirely clear on it, so you might want to check in with the office on it.

I hope that's not the case, because what would be the point of the ranking then? Unless it's like the button at some crosswalks--just there for the illusion of control. :-/

By June 1st we will know if we are rejected or on the alternate list. Once you're on the alternate list officially you could be accepted anytime up to and including the first week of classes. Alternate list movement will start happening more probably after the April 30th deadline because then people with multiple acceptances will have to choose. In the months after it will move more I think because people who are accepted at IU may get off the waitlist at other schools in the summer and that will open up spots for those on the alternate list at IUSM. Also I am pretty sure campus ranking is out the window for those of us that have not been accepted yet, so we will just be going wherever they send us if accepted. Hope that helped!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I hope that's not the case, because what would be the point of the ranking then? Unless it's like the button at some crosswalks--just there for the illusion of control. :-/

Are you trying to tell me the button at the crosswalks doesn't do anything? :wtf:

I want Indy because of the location but does anyone know someone in their first 2 years that is happy in Indy? I know ~5 people in Indy and they are all miserable and then I know 3 people on regional campuses and they are all happy. Might just be a coincidence though...small sample size I guess. You guys know any happy people at Indy campus?
That's really strange. I've found the same thing. I know A LOT in indy (first years and upper classmen). They are pretty much all really unhappy. I only know two on other campuses though (both Northwest) and they are obviously stressed as well but seem happy.

That's really strange. I've found the same thing. I know A LOT in indy (first years and upper classmen). They are pretty much all really unhappy. I only know two on other campuses though (both Northwest) and they are obviously stressed as well but seem happy.

I know people at Indy who are happy and people at regional campuses who think they would be happier in Indy. I think it depends a lot on the personality of each person- if you are in Indy, are you going to take advantage of the opportunities in Indy and make the effort to find friends, rather than watching all the lectures at home and never going to class?
My friend at a regional campus likes it, but plans on going to Indy for 3rd and 4th year. He feels a little limited by the small class size/small town/fewer research and extracurricular opportunities.

Really, you can't go wrong with your choice, and if you don't like it, it can be for only two years and then you can move.

I've been watching this thread for weeks. And this whole some students are depressed at Indy and some are not is silly. Students experience medical completely different.

You should rank the schools based on your interest. Some sites have better resources than others. Other schools have more exposure to underserved populations or rural populations. Other sites offer opportunities to work in the ER if you feel that money is going to be a problem. Do you want to do research? Or do you feel like global medicine is what you want to do? What are you interested in? What do you want to do when you have free time? Are you from a town closer to a certain site? Do you need a bigger city? When you have preceptorships, what kind of doctors do want to work with? and patients do you want to see?

The different sites will give you different experiences. Mind you, most med students were all leaders and in clubs. Probably all super friendly and outgoing. I wouldn't worry about finding friends.

Reactions: 2 users

Sorry, what I mean is, the selection side is automated. But still like a match process. They pick applicant A, and they get their top choice for location. If that location is filled, they move to the second ranked location. And so forth. There's no longer a "Applicant A has ties to Terre Haute, but B does not, so we'll put A in Terre Haute instead of B." It's randomized as to which applicants get their top choice or not.

So in theory, for the case of DaMedDude, the submission date should not affect his chances. They just run the algorithm, or whatever, and don't take into account factors like when you submitted, what ties you have, or any human factors.

But, again, that's what I understood it to be from the info session. I could easily be wrong.

Hey everyone, Has anybody who had a decision made get an update on their portal?

And if yes, do the updated portals just state "Decision", "Final Decision"? Or do they say "accepted", "Not accepted" etc? Just out of curiosity..Thanks in advance

Committee was meeting every 15th, then II went out. Now that II are no longer being sent out, I'm assuming they still may meet every 15th, but maybe you'll hear about acceptances instead of II.

Hey everyone, Has anybody who had a decision made get an update on their portal?

And if yes, do the updated portals just state "Decision", "Final Decision"? Or do they say "accepted", "Not accepted" etc? Just out of curiosity..Thanks in advance

My portal says "Status: Accepted"

Does anyone know who gets to go to Second Look? Accepted students? Accepted students who were invited? Applicants who interviewed and were invited?

You should rank the schools based on your interest. Some sites have better resources than others. Other schools have more exposure to underserved populations or rural populations. Other sites offer opportunities to work in the ER if you feel that money is going to be a problem. Do you want to do research? Or do you feel like global medicine is what you want to do? What are you interested in? What do you want to do when you have free time? Are you from a town closer to a certain site? Do you need a bigger city? When you have preceptorships, what kind of doctors do want to work with? and patients do you want to see?

The problem with that is that its kind of awkward to rank a school based on things you won't find out till after the lottery. You find yourself ranking it based on the worst case scenario and of course it doesn't hold up.

Ok, so I am really getting confused with all of this stuff about the campus placement. I don't understand why IUSM lack some sort of explanation of this process on their site. From what I understood at the information session, the campus placement is contingent on a number of factors. Including the date the preferences were submitted as well as the availability for student intake of whatever ranked your campus preferences. However, someone mentioned above that this has now changed to a randomized selection of the student, and all students are given the same probability for being selected.

The reason this confused me is because the whole randomized process seemed to be the process a couple of years ago, which was then later changed into the format that I first described, of taking into account the date the preference was submitted. I also went through last years thread (2013-2014 app cycle) that had a post of an email received from an IUSM office. The letter stated:

"We are writing to inform you of a recent change to our campus assignment procedures. Shortly following an offer of acceptance, accepted applicants will be instructed to create a campus preference list (all nine campuses must be ranked), which will be available in the Applicant Portal System. In the spring, accepted applicants who have submitted their campus preference rankings will be assigned via Applicant Portal System (computerized selection system) to a campus location based on the submission date of the campus preference roster and space availability. Additionally, a Second Chance Lottery program will be offered in the late spring for accepted applicants who desire a change of campus assignment. The Second Chance lottery allows one campus preference for possible reassignment based on current space availability (reassignments are not guaranteed).

Please note the Admissions Office is unable to track if an applicant has completed the campus preference portion of the portal. You will be permitted to update/change your campus preference ranking until notification the campus assignments process has taken place. With exception to the accepted Early Decision and MD/PhD applicants, we do not warrant or consider petitions for a specified campus."

So, if the process has reverted to a randomized process, that would mean IUSM changed the process last year, then once more this year. I know you are confused about it just as I am, and I am hesitant to ask IUSM about the process, because I was also going through threads (from several years ago when they had yet another process of solely randomizing Indy preferences) I noticed another statement that was released from IUSM about the process:

"As your initial campus preference questionnaire states: A lottery RANDOMLY decides which accepted applicants will be assigned to the Indianapolis Campus and there are no guarantees. Indiana University School of Medicine also reserves the right to withdraw your acceptance if at any time your conduct regarding this matter is deemed unprofessional by IUSM standards (http://student.medicine.iu.edu/StudentHandbook/). If you have further questions please contact the Office of Admissions at 317-274-3772."

So... Ya... Now we're all confused :soexcited:

Does anyone know who gets to go to Second Look? Accepted students? Accepted students who were invited? Applicants who interviewed and were invited?

Accepted students only. Second looks are basically geared towards helping people decide on a school by the deadline if they have more than one acceptance. They all should have gotten invitations I'm pretty sure.

Accepted students only. Second looks are basically geared towards helping people decide on a school by the deadline if they have more than one acceptance. They all should have gotten invitations I'm pretty sure.

I'm confused because I didn't get an invitation, but I was accepted.

I think the invitation was more selective than that. I have multiple acceptances but no second look invite.

Pretty Ivy is correct. At IU, Second Look is for a subset of admitted students; don't worry if you didn't get an invitation.

The good news is if tkmeow is correct, we could hear about campus assignments next week. It can't come too soon, because I'm trying to plan a cross-country move with my family by June 19 (when our landlord wants the house back), and I can't really get started until I have a destination.

Last edited:
Pretty Ivy is correct. At IU, Second Look is for a subset of admitted students; don't worry if you didn't get an invitation.

The good news is if tkmeow is correct, we could hear about campus assignments next week. It can't come too soon, because I'm trying to plan a cross-country move with my family by June 19 (when our landlord wants the house back), and I can't really get started until I have a destination.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about not getting invited to second look. I went and it was nice, but I didn't learn much I didn't already know. They talked a lot about global health programs that are offered and a multitude of research opportunities.

It was a recruitment event for sure, but I couldn't really get a feel for what was being recruited. There was definitely a lot of diversity and also quite a few out of state students, but I was invited and I'm a completely average (statistically speaking), not diverse, non-scholarship recipient applicant. So, maybe my interview score was just that awesome?! Really idk.. If anyone has any questions about it I'd be happy to answer. There was a really nice student panel and lots of discussion on regional campuses.

The good news is if tkmeow is correct, we could hear about campus assignments next week.

I called admissions earlier today to see if I could get an update on when campus assignments for the rest of us will happen...all they told me was "That date has not been released yet". Not very helpful, but hopefully they happen soon! :xf:

Have they done many post-interview rejections yet? More specifically: has anyone heard about or know anyone who had been rejected after interviewing on 2/11? I'm just curious because I've heard nothing yet and that's when I interviewed...