2014-2015 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy right now, I don't know what to do with myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I also interviewd on 2/11. I hope I get some good news soon!!!!! Congrats ^ !!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the acceptance letter in the mail today!!!!!! I live ~5 min from the admissions office so might take longer for others. Interviewed 2/11 at IUNW. For anyone who is still waiting and fears a rejection just try to keep a positive attitude.

This was my THIRD(!) application cycle, but I kept at it working on my MCAT score as well as GPA with a pre-professional masters AND IT PAID OFF!!!

If medicine is truly something you want to do keep at it, and don't take no for an answer.

I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy right now, I don't know what to do with myself.

Congratulations!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted yesterday!!! Super excited. Received letter in the mail yesterday, letter dated 3/13/15, portal status has not changed yet. Interviewed on 2/11.

For those of you who have been accepted, the acceptance letter says to reply with an acceptance decision letter within 14 business days using the provided envelope, however there was no other document included with the packet that needs to be returned that states that I accept the offer, does that mean that I have to write my own letter of intent? or am I missing an additional sheet that was supposed to accompany my acceptance packet?

Thanks! I'm so Super Excited that I can't focus at work right now :)

Oh and for those wondering: Undergrad gpa 2.5 (yea I know), graduate gpa 3.9, MCAT 30, live in California. Hang in there everyone, its coming :)

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted yesterday!!! Super excited. Received letter in the mail yesterday, letter dated 3/13/15, portal status has not changed yet. Interviewed on 2/11.

For those of you who have been accepted, the acceptance letter says to reply with an acceptance decision letter within 14 business days using the provided envelope, however there was no other document included with the packet that needs to be returned that states that I accept the offer, does that mean that I have to write my own letter of intent? or am I missing an additional sheet that was supposed to accompany my acceptance packet?

Thanks! I'm so Super Excited that I can't focus at work right now :)

Oh and for those wondering: Undergrad gpa 2.5 (yea I know), graduate gpa 3.9, MCAT 30, live in California. Hang in there everyone, its coming :)

I just typed up a simple letter saying "I thankfully accept the offer of admission" or something like that and mailed it in the envelope they gave. It took around two weeks before they marked it complete in the portal.

I just typed up a simple letter saying "I thankfully accept the offer of admission" or something like that and mailed it in the envelope they gave. It took around two weeks before they marked it complete in the portal.
Thanks tatum! I guess I'll see you in the fall :)

CONGRATS, thanks for sharing. I currently live in Philly so it will take a few days for me....if you dont mind, can you share stats?
IN resident/IU Bloomington undergrad GPA 3.24 sci 3.45 cum. Did the one year pre-professional masters program in Bio at IUPUI with ~3.8 IIRC(would really recommend that to anyone who needs GPA boost). Had to retake MCAT since my score expired, but went a couple points above average.

Shadowed in ER/Infectious Disease doc/a lot of time working with a free health clinic in Indianapolis

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats guys! Join the rest of us on the facebook group. To others still waiting, hang in there and stay hopeful..goodluck!

Got accepted today! First acceptance ever!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
For those of you that got accepted this week: Have any of your portal statuses changed yet? (Also congrats!)

For those of you that got accepted this week: Have any of your portal statuses changed yet? (Also congrats!)
Nope! They have to receive the letter of intent before portal changes I believe!

Nope! They have to receive the letter of intent before portal changes I believe!

My portal status changed to accepted the almost a week after my letter was dated, but well before I sent my letter of intent.

How I feel right now. Please let me love you IU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
HAHA Murphys, I feel the same way...so nervous about hearing back, guessing you haven't heard either?

LOL. Im sure you'll get in too, they just delay things some time. I interviewed in Indianapolis and it was a very large group on 2/11 so that's why I'm nervous. I don't think you necessarily have to feel like its wishful thinking, I know people from Indiana who got delayed because they were being considered for specific programs within the school (Rural program etc) so keep your head up and keep showing your interest, hopefully we both get good news soon. Where did you interview?

I'm starting to be more and more certain that post-interview silent rejections are a thing here. :-/

so this whole decision letter business......I can still accept their offer and go somewhere else right? I want to keep IU as an option but other schools are also appealing....14 days isn't a lot of time to make such a big decision haha. I figure it is not binding but just want to make sure!

Also, looks like all you need to send is a decision letter right? You guys are holding off on sending all the other materials until later?

I'm starting to be more and more certain that post-interview silent rejections are a thing here. :-/

I am in the same boat as you. I think our only chance to get an acceptance is in May. I interviewed all the way back in October, and they had to have reviewed my application by now. Maybe when May hits and they have x seats to fill with no more interviews, then maybe we will get another shot. Otherwise, I doubt our applications are even in the pool of those being reviewed at these monthly adcom sessions.

I am in the same boat as you. I think our only chance to get an acceptance is in May. I interviewed all the way back in October, and they had to have reviewed my application by now. Maybe when May hits and they have x seats to fill with no more interviews, then maybe we will get another shot. Otherwise, I doubt our applications are even in the pool of those being reviewed at these monthly adcom sessions.
I agree with what you are saying, I interviewed on 2/11 and they told us that day was the last interview of the year so they would have to be cutting down on numbers by now I assume so I would think most people should hear back soon, at least should be notified about wait listings. Hope we all hear good news soon. Just hang on guys, we'll become physicians if we keep going at it, Im rooting for you all!!!

I believe you will get either a wait list notification or a rejection after the final round of acceptances go out. IIRC that was in May the past two years, but can't remember 100%.

Accepted Monday! Received letter in the mail dated 3/13/15, portal status has not changed yet. Interviewed on 2/11 at Indianapolis.

Undergrad GPA 3.5, Graduate GPA 3.8, MCAT 27, from Florida.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! You received your letter in FL on Monday ? I was thinking the letters went out this week but if you were accepted Monday then they must've been mailed last week

For those of us that are still waiting/ hoping... Guidelines from AAMC: (Don't let your heart sink due to the first portion of this post. There is a great deal of hope remaining.)
https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...afficrulesforadmissionofficers-2015amcas.html

4. By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS.

I don't know if IUSM strictly follows these guidelines or how much they may overfill by this date.

Following is an analytical look at the number of acceptances that it takes to fill a school. Due to multiple acceptances for some students, schools must send out acceptances to more than just their class size. Basically, the most competitive schools send out double their class size. At 1.25 for IU, there could be as many as 87 more letters to be sent out. Since we don't know if they overfill or what percent turn down the offer, there is no way to pin this down.

http://blog.accepted.com/2013/12/09...edical-school-multiple-acceptances-a-reality/

This site also offers things to think about during the acceptance process.

Although this roller coaster almost classifies as cruel and unusual punishment, be proud of your accomplishments. Hoping that we can all celebrate together next August!

so this whole decision letter business......I can still accept their offer and go somewhere else right? I want to keep IU as an option but other schools are also appealing....14 days isn't a lot of time to make such a big decision haha. I figure it is not binding but just want to make sure!

Also, looks like all you need to send is a decision letter right? You guys are holding off on sending all the other materials until later?

The decision letter is non binding. I think the official AMCAS date to withdraw all other acceptances is May 15.

Congrats! You received your letter in FL on Monday ? I was thinking the letters went out this week but if you were accepted Monday then they must've been mailed last week

I actually received mine in Illinois considering that is my temporary mailing address

If I'm correct, IU has a preference for instate applicants and applicants with strong ties to Indiana. For those of you that are OOS and were accepted, do you have strong ties to Indiana or no?

If I'm correct, IU has a preference for instate applicants and applicants with strong ties to Indiana. For those of you that are OOS and were accepted, do you have strong ties to Indiana or no?

None at all. Originally from NJ, went to college in FL.

1/14 Indy

Idk if they told you at interview or if you read it on here already... How it works is that they meet every 15th of the month (this month was different I'm assuming because of spring break). After they meet they send out definite acceptance letters, and all others get pushed back and compared to the next group of interviewees that falls in between the time they meet and the next time they meet. So if you got a II, your chances of getting an acceptance letter changes each time they meet by you're compared to different applicants... Idk if that explains it well, but that's the process at IU.

Idk if they told you at interview or if you read it on here already... How it works is that they meet every 15th of the month (this month was different I'm assuming because of spring break). After they meet they send out definite acceptance letters, and all others get pushed back and compared to the next group of interviewees that falls in between the time they meet and the next time they meet. So if you got a II, your chances of getting an acceptance letter changes each time they meet by you're compared to different applicants... Idk if that explains it well, but that's the process at IU.

Lmeredakid is right about the process, however, I interviewed on 2/11 and they told us that is the last interview day of the year, so I wouldn't think they will be pushing back anymore since theres no more interviewees to come. I would assume everyone would hear back soon, at least notified about waitlists, but I'm just guessing here.

Also, I remember during the orientation they mentioned that the committee meets on the 15th, but when I called the school, they said the 15th is when letters are sent out, not when the committee meets. Just keep your heads up everyone, we should be getting some news soon. And if anyone is waitlisted, don't be too disappointed, the waitlists moves rather well at IU, I know of 4 people from last year who were waitlisted and they all got in toward the end of the year, and that's only the people I knew.

Keep at it and never let yourself feel down, it's going to happen, it's just a matter of when, and from my experience, it's always a lot earlier than you would expect. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

ACCEPTED!!!!!! Interviewed 2/11, pm group. OMG I'm sooo excited I don't know what to do with myself lol...AHHH!!
Letter came in yesterday, dated 3/13, I live in Texas.
Also, I'm a reapplicant, interviewed last year but didn't get in so I came back this year. Just to want to tell all of you still waiting to keep your heads up high and DO NOT GIVE UP!!! When it is your time to get in, you will get in. God has a plan for us all and He never fails. Alright enough with the rambling, good luck to all those still waiting!

Reactions: 10 users

My portal status changed to accepted the almost a week after my letter was dated, but well before I sent my letter of intent.

Hmm alright. Well I will have to just wait until I can get home to check my mail then I guess!

ACCEPTED!!!!!! Interviewed 2/11, pm group. OMG I'm sooo excited I don't know what to do with myself lol...AHHH!!
Letter came in yesterday, dated 3/13, I live in Texas.
Also, I'm a reapplicant, interviewed last year but didn't get in so I came back this year. Just to want to tell all of you still waiting to keep your heads up high and DO NOT GIVE UP!!! When it is your time to get in, you will get in. God has a plan for us all and He never fails. Alright enough with the rambling, good luck to all those still waiting!

Oh and I interviewed at Indy :)

Shout out to everyone who interviewed on 2/11 and hasn't heard back yet lol. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I interviewed in Feb as well. I was hoping to receive a nice letter in the mail this week but I'll just have to wait longer to hear something. I did receive an email requesting an updated transcript the other day though so I guess I'm not completely out. Fingers crossed.

Am i the only one who is having trouble setting up the 15 to 127 characters passphrase for IU account? I tried different unique words, and I even used them in another language but it wont work.

Hey guys, just some more info for all those who haven't heard. I interviewed 2/11 and of course, like all of you have been worried about where my letter could be. Just called the school this morning and apparently the committee has not yet made a decision about my application so just saying, they might still hold on to some of us until later, so no need to freak out. Good luck once again.