2014-2015 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Woo! Good luck to everyone. Anyone else applying through EDP?

Good luck everybody! I have this question maybe for current IU med students (or anyone that might know): I noticed IU doesn't have a secondary according to the MSAR. I went to a public high school in Indiana and then moved OOS for college after graduating high school (no longer live in IN). My plan was to to explain my state ties in a Secondary essay, but I just realized this week that there isn't one. On the AMCAS application of course it has the high school in Indiana where I graduated.

Will that be "strong ties to the state of Indiana" enough to keep my app from being tossed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck everybody! I have this question maybe for current IU med students (or anyone that might know): I noticed IU doesn't have a secondary according to the MSAR. I went to a public high school in Indiana and then moved OOS for college after graduating high school (no longer live in IN). My plan was to to explain my state ties in a Secondary essay, but I just realized this week that there isn't one. On the AMCAS application of course it has the high school in Indiana where I graduated.

Will that be "strong ties to the state of Indiana" enough to keep my app from being tossed?

Also in a similar boat...

Both my parents are immigrants and came to this country to attend IU for their UG and Graduate school. They lived in Indiana/bloomington for close to decade before moving to Ohio. Also have a bunch of family from Indy. I hope this is considered a "strong tie" but I have no idea how I am supposed to tell them that. My only guess is to send them an email after your primary gets verified and they open your application.

Also in a similar boat...

Both my parents are immigrants and came to this country to attend IU for their UG and Graduate school. They lived in Indiana/bloomington for close to decade before moving to Ohio. Also have a bunch of family from Indy. I hope this is considered a "strong tie" but I have no idea how I am supposed to tell them that. My only guess is to send them an email after your primary gets verified and they open your application.

That's what I was thinking too- to either call or email them since there's no secondary to explain those Indiana connections.

That's what I was thinking too- to either call or email them since there's no secondary to explain those Indiana connections.
Similar as well. Lived in Muncie K-9. Strong ties to the state. Father was a physician involved with ball state sports and central Indiana orthopedics. Hope I get an interview.

On biographical info I did put Muncie as where I lived the majority of my life up to 18 years old. I don't know if they look at that.

Interesting. First I've heard about IU not having a secondary. Guess I should've looked this up. Haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting. First I've heard about IU not having a secondary. Guess I should've looked this up. Haha.
Unless things changed from the last couple years, IU definitely does not have a secondary. You'll get a response from them saying they downloaded your app and then next you hear is an II or a rejection, typically.

Applying here from a neighboring state! Convenient that it has no secondary, but I didn't even know that before I decided to apply. Score! :laugh:

Yeah SCORE. I guess I don't have to do any secondaries, ever. (I hope.:xf::xf:)

Unless things changed from the last couple years, IU definitely does not have a secondary. You'll get a response from them saying they downloaded your app and then next you hear is an II or a rejection, typically.
Are they open to receiving letters of interest? Or emails at all explaining ties to the state, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received this

Indiana University School of Medicine Office of Admissions has received your AMCAS application. If you are invited for an interiew, you will be sent information regarding next steps in approximately 4-6 weeks. We encourage you to check your emial frequently.

Thank you for considering IUSM for your medical education.

With many thanks,

Indiana University School of Medicine
Office of Admissions

Just received this

Indiana University School of Medicine Office of Admissions has received your AMCAS application. If you are invited for an interiew, you will be sent information regarding next steps in approximately 4-6 weeks. We encourage you to check your emial frequently.

With many thanks,

Office of Admissions
With the typo too? Oh Hoosiers...

yeah i noticed that when i read it lol
Can't say I noticed typos because I accidentally skipped the first word of the sentence starting with "If you are invited for an interview," and about had a heart attack. See, this is why my verbal score was weak... :p

Just received this

With many thanks,

Office of Admissions

when were you verified?

Yeah, I received the same letter with typos.

I was just browsing through their website today and read something about paying $50 for the IUPUI Grad School Application fee. Do we have to also pay this in addition to the AMCAS fee?

I know they only send secondaries out if invited for an interview…was wondering if the same thing applied for letters being received?

On their website it says "Three letters of recommendation or committee evaluation. The science, nonscience, and personal letters should be from individuals...". So do you have to have one science, nonscience, and personal letter each or does it simply not matter who they're from? Also does anyone know if 3 is max?

FYI: Straight from the IU Med School website, as I was curious about secondaries as well...

"Supplemental information ONLY sent to applicants selected for interview"

Just received the "receipt of AMCAS material" email from IU...hopefully I will get an II email in 4-6 weeks!

Good luck everyone! :D

On their website it says "Three letters of recommendation or committee evaluation. The science, nonscience, and personal letters should be from individuals...". So do you have to have one science, nonscience, and personal letter each or does it simply not matter who they're from? Also does anyone know if 3 is max?

I just called and talked to the Admissions office. They said 3 letters is only the minimum and that you can send as many as you like.

Are they sending out the "hey we got your primary" emails in batches? I was verified on the first day and still have had no correspondence from them. Anyone else?

Reactions: 1 users
Are they sending out the "hey we got your primary" emails in batches? I was verified on the first day and still have had no correspondence from them. Anyone else?
also verified early and no email yet.

Verified 6/4 and no email from IU yet. (current OOS resident but graduated high school in Indiana)

I was verified 6/11 (submitted AMCAS 6/4). I received a "application received" notification from them on 7/3. Maybe it's alphabetical?

Soooo. I just got this e-mail. What dos this mean, good or bad?

Indiana University School of Medicine Office of Admissions has received your AMCAS application. If you are invited for an interview, you will be sent information regarding next steps in approximately 4-6 weeks. We encourage you to check your email frequently.

Soooo. I just got this e-mail. What dos this mean, good or bad?

Indiana University School of Medicine Office of Admissions has received your AMCAS application. If you are invited for an interview, you will be sent information regarding next steps in approximately 4-6 weeks. We encourage you to check your email frequently.

Neutral. Everyone gets that eventually.

Was wondering how late I am in the process if I'm still awaiting to submit my application to AMCAS? I'm waiting for two rec letters to be received as well, I don't want to submit the application if this one science professor forgot to write me the letter (i've emailed her and no reply twice now).

Also, my stats are on the lower end of applicants OOS (3.5 cGPA 3.2sGPA, first MCAT 25, retaking in september). I have about 100+ hours of volunteer work at an outpatient pharmacy in a hospital (and growing), 50+ hours of volunteer work at my parish, 8 hours of volunteer work for Alliance of the Great Lakes, and 5 hours of shadowing an ophthalmologist (the dr. really liked me and seems to be offering me a technician job this week).

On the whole what do some of you think about my application at face value?

Was wondering how late I am in the process if I'm still awaiting to submit my application to AMCAS? I'm waiting for two rec letters to be received as well, I don't want to submit the application if this one science professor forgot to write me the letter (i've emailed her and no reply twice now).

Also, my stats are on the lower end of applicants OOS (3.5 cGPA 3.2sGPA, first MCAT 25, retaking in september). I have about 100+ hours of volunteer work at an outpatient pharmacy in a hospital (and growing), 50+ hours of volunteer work at my parish, 8 hours of volunteer work for Alliance of the Great Lakes, and 5 hours of shadowing an ophthalmologist (the dr. really liked me and seems to be offering me a technician job this week).

I can be wrong since I don't know "exactly" about your situation; and others here can comment. However, I believe turning in LORs and be confirmed by AMCAS is a parellel path with submitting your application (I assume you meant primary to AMCAS). Unless I assumed incorrectly, you should go ahead to submit your primary application now as the verification process at AMCAS is lined up with respect to "date" and you can submit the LORs later separately as they are not needed till at least at secondary.

Unless you are thinking about if the science professor letter does not work out, then you back out the application. Now this will be different story.

Edit: I saw your post at other school threads. It looks like you are talking about secondary submission. Well, if that is the case, then you are right, it is definitely a potential you are stuck due to that professor delay of LOR.

Besides that, as Claduva94 said, your late re-take of MCAT that late is a problem.

Last edited:

To be blunt your chances aren't good for MD. That MCAT is not good enough to get an interview at the vast majority of MD schools and retaking in September, where you will be complete in October, is less than ideal. You will be at least 3 months behind most applicants. If you haven't already submitted secondaries I would, unfortunately, strongly recommend taking a gap year.

Thoughts on sending an email discussing strong state ties as an OOS applicant?

Thoughts on sending an email discussing strong state ties as an OOS applicant?
I wouldn't see how it would hurt. At the same time, I don't see how it would help but that's only because I'm not too sure if ADCOMs cares about if you know people from the state or not..

I wouldn't see how it would hurt. At the same time, I don't see how it would help but that's only because I'm not too sure if ADCOMs cares about if you know people from the state or not..

Last edited:
Just received a rejection from IU. And my committee letter hasn't even been received by AMCAS yet (which doesn't seem right to me, that they'd be reviewing without your LORs). I'm OOS and my numbers are somewhat average (c3.68/31). So, to everyone - beware. They're reviewing applications as we speak even without your LORs.

Just received a rejection from IU. And my committee letter hasn't even been received by AMCAS yet (which doesn't seem right to me, that they'd be reviewing without your LORs). I'm OOS and my numbers are somewhat average (c3.68/31). So, to everyone - beware. They're reviewing applications as we speak even without your LORs.
Wow. Rejections already? IU does *not* mess around. o_O

Thank you for letting us know, and I give you my condolences.

Makes me feel like I should have already sent my email Re: in state ties of living there from K-10 grade

I like their style though, they don't make you pay a secondary fee unless they want to interview you. It's straightforward!

Reactions: 4 users

Thanks... yeah, it doesn't feel too great. Gotta keep pushing forward, though. Best of luck!

Dang! Sorry! I just got the email they received my application. OOS 3.65/35 and no obvious ties so I am expecting this will be my fate as well.

Makes me feel like I should have already sent my email Re: in state ties of living there from K-10 grade

Sent an email to IU detailing my state ties, this was their response:

Dear XXX,

All ties to the state must be mailed to the admissions office.

Sincerely,

XXX

So I guess they want you to mail them your state ties.

Sent an email to IU detailing my state ties, this was their response:

Dear XXX,

All ties to the state must be mailed to the admissions office.

Sincerely,

XXX

So I guess they want you to mail them your state ties.
Really? Snail mail??? Weird.

Really? Snail mail??? Weird.

Yea I don't get it either... But I guess on the bright side that means they do consider state ties! So if you have them it helps!

wait do we need to send them lor before the interview invite? they weren't really clear on what they wanted on the email. anyone know the kind of letter they want?

first rejection (via email)! I can't say I was surprised... well good luck to the rest of you!