2014-2015 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have they done many post-interview rejections yet? More specifically: has anyone heard about or know anyone who had been rejected after interviewing on 2/11? I'm just curious because I've heard nothing yet and that's when I interviewed...

They don't do post-interview rejections for awhile I believe. I interviewed back in October and still haven't heard anything lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Have they done many post-interview rejections yet? More specifically: has anyone heard about or know anyone who had been rejected after interviewing on 2/11? I'm just curious because I've heard nothing yet and that's when I interviewed...
Sry I forgot to quote... See above post.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone received an e-mail from the IU registrar asking about verifying your status in the US. I haven't been accepted yet, but got this email on saturday and was kinda confused lol

I was wondering if anyone received an e-mail from the IU registrar asking about verifying your status in the US. I haven't been accepted yet, but got this email on saturday and was kinda confused lol
There seem to be various automated emails that go out randomly (in no particular order). As someone with a bit of IT experience, I find it strange, because one would expect that communications would go out as batch messages. That said, I would cautiously take receiving that message as a good sign, or at least justification for calling Admissions for clarification.

I called admissions earlier today to see if I could get an update on when campus assignments for the rest of us will happen...all they told me was "That date has not been released yet". Not very helpful, but hopefully they happen soon! :xf:
You and me both. I wonder what benefit there is in releasing the assignments in this staggered fashion. I'm going to try to take a positive view that it means preference is taken into account vs. a straight lottery, but I hope that the smaller campuses aren't all filled by the early decision/scholarship recipients. IU, why you want to add to our anxiety??? :bucktooth:

There seem to be various automated emails that go out randomly (in no particular order). As someone with a bit of IT experience, I find it strange, because one would expect that communications would go out as batch messages. That said, I would cautiously take receiving that message as a good sign, or at least justification for calling Admissions for clarification.

You and me both. I wonder what benefit there is in releasing the assignments in this staggered fashion. I'm going to try to take a positive view that it means preference is taken into account vs. a straight lottery, but I hope that the smaller campuses aren't all filled by the early decision/scholarship recipients. IU, why you want to add to our anxiety??? :bucktooth:
I know about 10 scholarship/early decision people and they are all going to Indy. Small sample size but I wouldn't worry about regional campuses filling up.

I had a friend call admissions today and they said it was an email sent to all accepted students and that some may have gotten the email prematurely cause letters were sent out the other day. Hope this helps!

I had a friend call admissions today and they said it was an email sent to all accepted students and that some may have gotten the email prematurely cause letters were sent out the other day. Hope this helps!

So if we weren't asked to verify our status in the US by now, does this mean we already missed being part of this month's round of notifications?

So if we weren't asked to verify our status in the US by now, does this mean we already missed being part of this month's round of notifications?
I wouldn't necessarily base it on that. It would take a few days for everyone to receive their letters and I would assume that the registrar takes time to send out the US status verification letters. It would be more probable to think Panman might have not received his letter due to a delivery problem or something like that. I also believe that the U.S status would be required for those waitlisted as well, so that could be part of it. I would say to not think you missed this month's round of notifications unless at least a week (sometimes two) had passed from the 15th or you contacted the admissions office and they told you your application is still "under consideration".

Hey, I was just curious, how do you know the class is not yet full? I just wanted to verify because I know its pretty late in the process. Thanks in advance.

I ran into one very important person on the elevator and they said "still scrambling to fill the class, but I heard you got the campus you wanted so congrats"

If that helps any

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I ran into one very important person on the elevator and they said "still scrambling to fill the class, but I heard you got the campus you wanted so congrats"

If that helps any
lol, that helps a lot. Thanks for the tip.

So I have been "under consideration" since the first week of October. You think it would be worth it to call the admissions office and see if I could get an idea on where I currently stand? Not sure how liberal they would be giving out information like that.

Personally I don't have much optimism at my chances at this point lol.

So I have been "under consideration" since the first week of October. You think it would be worth it to call the admissions office and see if I could get an idea on where I currently stand? Not sure how liberal they would be giving out information like that.

I wouldn't call they won't tell you anything and will probably frustrate you more than you already are but easier said that done... Just remain hopeful and optimistic

I think iu silently wait lists ppl but at this point you could still get in

Reactions: 1 user

Hey Skywayz, DrP is right. You should still be very optimistic. If there's one school that holds on to people for a long period of time and then grants them acceptances, its IU. I know 4 people from my school last year who heard nothing back until around April-May where they were waitlisted and then all were accepted by June. As you moved from october till April, IU has been fishing to find reasons to reject people and they have found and rejected a good chunk, for some reason they have not found a reason to reject you, so be very optimistic at your chances and keep in mind, you survived this long as an applicant to the 2nd largest med school in the U.S (so lots of seats) and a school that from my experience, has a pretty good waitlists (moves pretty well compared to most other schools, probably due to class size). I can go on and on about why you should still be very optimistic but I don't wanna bore everyone, send me a message if you need any other info that I might have.

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody heard anything from IU yet in terms of acceptance, waitlist, rejection? I think the letters are suppose to be sent out today (15th of every month) but just wondering if perhaps they sent them out even earlier or by email.

Anybody heard anything from IU yet in terms of acceptance, waitlist, rejection? I think the letters are suppose to be sent out today (15th of every month) but just wondering if perhaps they sent them out even earlier or by email.

I know one person who did get an acceptance today, but I don't know of how he heard.

I just got in today; I received two emails about Campus Preference and some legal stuff. Also, my portal status changed too

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to you guys who just got in! Do you mind mentioning your stats or when you interviewed?

Some of my friends still haven't heard back. So since April 30th is this deadline for schools to waitlist, reject, or accept applicant....I assume that people you haven't heard back yet are either waitlisted or rejected?

Some of my friends still haven't heard back. So since April 30th is this deadline for schools to waitlist, reject, or accept applicant....I assume that people you haven't heard back yet are either waitlisted or rejected?
It's actually the date by which students with multiple acceptances must choose one school to attend. It's not a deadline for Admissions committees.

It's actually the date by which students with multiple acceptances must choose one school to attend. It's not a deadline for Admissions committees.
I know it's not technically a deadline for them but I thought an unspoken rule was that all schools fill their class by that date (which makes sense why they would want to do this).

I think ideally that is the case, but I am not sure how true it is with IU since the class size is so big. I was told that at this point they will likely be sending out only rejections and waitlist positions, but there was no timeline on when. I know the portal says that everyone gets some kind of decision by June 1st.

Last edited:
i sent my official acceptance withdrawal email a couple days ago, but didnt get a response or confirmation. Is there an official way to do it?

edit: I sent it to [email protected] email. is that the official admissions email?

i sent my official acceptance withdrawal email a couple days ago, but didnt get a response or confirmation. Is there an official way to do it?

edit: I sent it to [email protected] email. is that the official admissions email?
Yea, I think that sounds correct, but I am not sure if that email is the one you'd notify them for acceptance withdrawal, but they most likely receive your withdrawal. I would call up the admissions office and ask if they have updated your status just to make sure.

Does anyone have stats for the incoming class? IS vs OOS? How many went to IU for undergrad? How many from Purdue?

Does anyone have stats for the incoming class? IS vs OOS? How many went to IU for undergrad? How many from Purdue?
Idk about this incoming class but for incoming class last year it was:
MCAT: 31
GPA: 3.80 (rounded up)
OOS: 81%
IS: 19%

I don't think Purdue vs IU should matter.....IS is IS. But idk....don't have stats for that.

Just got my financial aid package. Is it too late to receive scholarships?

+1. No it's not, when/if people who received scholarships still elect to go to other schools, then whoever is next in line will receive the scholarship.

The scholarships so far have just been merit/recruitment scholarships. General scholarships are decided on near the end of June.

If you got Mr. Espada's e-mail today about Financial aid and follow up with the OneStart to see your loan offers, you get told what campus you have assigned. I've been assigned to IUPUI so I'm thinking Indianapolis? ... The portal doesn't say anything and I haven't been officially notified but that's what shows up when I open up my financial aid offer. Did anyone get anything different?

It's worth emailing to ask. Just make sure that you have at least one parent willing to give information for your FAFSA. They won't consider you for need-based scholarships without it. No exceptions--I asked. :(

If you got Mr. Espada's e-mail today about Financial aid and follow up with the OneStart to see your loan offers, you get told what campus you have assigned. I've been assigned to IUPUI so I'm thinking Indianapolis? ... The portal doesn't say anything and I haven't been officially notified but that's what shows up when I open up my financial aid offer. Did anyone get anything different?

I think it states IUPUI because that is the school code we use for FAFSA. I don't think that is necessarily our campus assignment.

To those still under construction, has anyone called admissions to get any idea on what's going on?

The scholarships so far have just been merit/recruitment scholarships. General scholarships are decided on near the end of June.
What's a general scholarship? I have very good metrics so I'm hoping that I get something.....I figure merit-based scholarships are my best bet but if those were all given out can I get a general scholarship because of my merit?

To those still under construction, has anyone called admissions to get any idea on what's going on?
April 15th was the last round of acceptances... Waitlist offers and rejections will be coming within the next couple weeks. I didn't call but my friend who hasn't heard back from a January interview called.

What's a general scholarship? I have very good metrics so I'm hoping that I get something.....I figure merit-based scholarships are my best bet but if those were all given out can I get a general scholarship because of my merit?

Those have been given all out. I called this morning. Unless someone who received one of those scholarships drops out, there are no more. Financial need based scholarships will be given out in May-June...

So for those of us who've heard nothing, is it fair to assume we're on a silent waitlist? Or could I assume I haven't even been reviewed yet ( Interviewed on 2/11)

So for those of us who've heard nothing, is it fair to assume we're on a silent waitlist? Or could I assume I haven't even been reviewed yet ( Interviewed on 2/11)
Waitlist or rejection

Admissions said that we will find out campus assignments later this week. I emailed them this morning.

Reactions: 5 users
I just called IU and they are still currently reviewing applications until June 1st.