2014-2015 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am signed in to the applicant portal and now it says "Accessing the accepted student applicant portal" and asks for a passphrase to get in. Do we receive an email with that or should I already know it and I've just forgotten? Anyone with similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I am signed in to the applicant portal and now it says "Accessing the accepted student applicant portal" and asks for a passphrase to get in. Do we receive an email with that or should I already know it and I've just forgotten? Anyone with similar situation?

I had the exact same problem! I had to call the office and get a link to make a new account with my iu student ID number.

Did anyone get a confirmation email after ranking their campuses? I'm worried about fiddling with it too much, but I'm not sure if it went through.

Just a heads up to everyone, I called the admissions office today to check on my application (I have a deposit due to hold my seat at another school this week, so I wanted to be sure nothing was lost in the mail like the rest of you).

They told me the portal has been updated for all those accepted in the last round (March ~13) of decisions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have access to a match list for IU? I know they don't publish it, but surely there is an internal copy available to current students? I don't think I can sit through the whole hour and a half video feed they have online, and I'm very interested

I just typed up a simple letter saying "I thankfully accept the offer of admission" or something like that and mailed it in the envelope they gave. It took around two weeks before they marked it complete in the portal.

Hey Tatum, how long after you mailed your acceptance letter to IUSM did it take for them to change the status in the "accepted portal" to reflect that they received it?

Hey Tatum, how long after you mailed your acceptance letter to IUSM did it take for them to change the status in the "accepted portal" to reflect that they received it?

Hey! I don't remember exactly, but I do know it was getting really close to me calling and checking. I think I mailed it a week after acceptance and it didn't get marked until about two weeks later. It definitely took a little bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I don't remember exactly, but I do know it was getting really close to me calling and checking. I think I mailed it a week after acceptance and it didn't get marked until about two weeks later. It definitely took a little bit.
Thanks!

Is there a specific date we need to preference the campuses? I want to visit my top 4 or 5 before I make my list.....think it is cool or will hurt my chances at getting the location I want if I wait like a month to do it?

So, it sounds like a lot of people who interviewed on 2/11 haven't heard back yet. I realize they are still reviewing applications, but since I wasn't among the group of people who were accepted as early as 3/16 (as I have heard), does this mean my chances are slimmer now? Or could they possibly be taking a longer time considering the AMOUNT of people (200+) who interviewed on 2/11? Thank you in advance for any advice/words of encouragement!!

So, it sounds like a lot of people who interviewed on 2/11 haven't heard back yet. I realize they are still reviewing applications, but since I wasn't among the group of people who were accepted as early as 3/16 (as I have heard), does this mean my chances are slimmer now? Or could they possibly be taking a longer time considering the AMOUNT of people (200+) who interviewed on 2/11? Thank you in advance for any advice/words of encouragement!!

200 people interviewed on 2/11?! Whoa

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just got an email saying that I didn't get accepted to the rural health track, but that I am still under consideration for traditional track admissions. Not sure how to feel about this.

Aw shucks sorry to hear that! Was this for the regular track? I didn't know they communicated decisions via email!
Yes it was for regular track. Yup if you are rejected you find out via email. I hope you don't get an email lol

Uh oh. I've been waiting without hearing a word since September... my rejection email is probably coming soon to an inbox near me...

Uh oh. I've been waiting without hearing a word since September... my rejection email is probably coming soon to an inbox near me...

+1, October interviewee here. Oh man. I think I just won't look at my phone for the next few hours

Does anyone have any insight on where to live in the terre haute campus? Or where not to live?

Does anyone have any insight on where to live in the terre haute campus? Or where not to live?

Any information people have on where to live in Terre Haute would be great.
During the interview, current students mentioned that some students and business professionals lived in Heritage Trails. That's the only one I have heard of though.

Keyword "usually". There have been people in this very thread who learned of acceptance via the portal. Someone works in an office and is tasked with updating the portals. Who is to say that the normal person who normally does it 7 days after isn't out this week for spring break and some replacement didn't go ahead and do it? There is little continuity in this process so I was letting people know that there is a possibility it may have changed. I am indeed making the assumption that the people who recently joined the group are from this month because I couldn't understand why else there would be less than 15 people join between the dates of 2/25-3/15 and then 13 people join between 3/15-3/16. It could very well be an incorrect assumption, but again.. It was a possibility of which I was making people aware. I'm not trying to give people the magical key to unlock the secrets of the process. I was just letting people know that some a bunch had joined the Facebook group, which is abnormal. Then, I was asked what that process was, which I discussed. I know the only thing that really matters is receiving a big letter that says accepted, but I know having something to think about soothes my mind and probably others like me. So, I'm sorry that you felt the information wasn't valuable, but I have to disagree.
A little late, but I have the answer as to why so many joined the Facebook group on 3/16. Jose Espada sent a financial aid email to accepted students with a reminder to join the Facebook group if we haven't already. Mystery solved! :)

This may be a little dated but there is this.. http://msa.medicine.iu.edu/campuses/survivalguide/terrehaute/findingthebasics/

Also, I'm sure if you contact them they will put you in touch with some student reps.

Thanks for the help! I"ve found those online as well. I'm just finding this dichotomy at terre haute of having either: 1. really nice apartments that are really expensive and pretty far off campus or 2. really cheap apartments that are really bad... I was able to find more of a middle ground pretty easily in undergrad so kind of puzzled but I'm sure theyre out there

Thanks for the help! I"ve found those online as well. I'm just finding this dichotomy at terre haute of having either: 1. really nice apartments that are really expensive and pretty far off campus or 2. really cheap apartments that are really bad... I was able to find more of a middle ground pretty easily in undergrad so kind of puzzled but I'm sure theyre out there

I couldn't agree more. I'm going to have to go visit some people I know there or get in touch with students from there to find out more. I'm really the type of person who likes to walk because it makes me feel like a student, but I also wanna find a nice, quiet place. It shouldn't be such a struggle.

I have a cousin that lives in the area. First, you will need a car. If you have that, there are plenty of houses for rent, as well as decent apartments. Some of the areas around the campus are sketchy and car theft was a problem a few years ago.

I'm considering withdrawing my application and saying no to Indiana. I'm glad I was accepted to the school but as a homosexual, I can't comfortably live in a state that can legally discriminate against me and call it "Religious freedom."

Reactions: 6 users
I'm considering withdrawing my application and saying no to Indiana. I'm glad I was accepted to the school but as a homosexual, I can't comfortably live in a state that can legally discriminate against me and call it "Religious freedom."
I'm speaking for many many people when I say that I support you in your consideration. My thoughts are with you during this time, friend.

Ooh. Not that I'm likely to get in anyway, but... +1. Kinsey 5 bisexual here. I don't need that stress.

I hope that you will see this reversed. Happily the governor of Indianapolis and many businesses are welcoming to all. I am just an ally but I am ashamed of my state right now.

Ooh. Not that I'm likely to get in anyway, but... +1. Kinsey 5 bisexual here. I don't need that stress.

Yeah a lot of us are pretty upset here about it. Hopefully the necessary changes will be made to the bill (or better it will get reversed completely) to make things better. I can assure you that it really depends where you are in Indiana and the vast majority of hoosiers do not support this thinly veiled discrimination. The mayor of Indianapolis has called for a repeal and spoken out against it.

I would encourage you stay your withdrawl. The media has had a heyday covering this topic, but there is precedent for RFRAs in 19 other states and at the federal level who take nondiscrimination very seriously. Though the bill in its current form is in no way intended to provide a license to discriminate, efforts are being put forth so as to ease the worries, however unwarranted, of those who look at this bill and see potential for personal attack. While unloving people exist everywhere, this is not a state set on giving businesses a right to oppress because they feel like it. No court would allow someone to cite RFRA as a justification for refusing service to someone simply because they differ in a belief system, and if some misguided person were to think otherwise, I am confident that state (or federal if appeals were made) would defend nondiscrimination as a compelling interest of the government. The point of the bill is to prevent the government from coercing people into performing actions that are a direct violation of their religious beliefs. The only real thing that our state lacks at this point is having sexual orientation as a protected class, but that is not unique to Indiana. I could see it being reason in itself to avoid our state, but I hope that you won't let jaded media coverage turn an obviously talented individual such as yourself from considering our fair state for your medical education. Though exceptions exist, Hoosiers do tend to be friendly and welcoming :)

There are major differences between Indiana's RFRA and those of the 19 other states. It's far broader. That's why the media has been in an uproar.

Reactions: 2 users
I understand your apprehension. I hope you know that there are many who stand with you against such discrimination. I have been watching with concern, but there is good news today in the governor's call to fix the legislation by Friday (though a full repeal would be better). I'm trying to view the political climate as ripe for vocal opposition. One of my first acts as an IN resident will be to register to vote. Something that occurs to me is whether this represents a campaign by ALEC, since similar legislation is cropping up in other states.

I want Indy because of the location but does anyone know someone in their first 2 years that is happy in Indy? I know ~5 people in Indy and they are all miserable and then I know 3 people on regional campuses and they are all happy. Might just be a coincidence though...small sample size I guess. You guys know any happy people at Indy campus?

I want Indy because of the location but does anyone know someone in their first 2 years that is happy in Indy? I know ~5 people in Indy and they are all miserable and then I know 3 people on regional campuses and they are all happy. Might just be a coincidence though...small sample size I guess. You guys know any happy people at Indy campus?
I know students who are miserable in Indy. And the students I met on my interview day didn't really have too many positive things to say about their school. Just a "mehh they gave me good finanacial aid so I came here". Take that as you will.

I know students who are miserable in Indy. And the students I met on my interview day didn't really have too many positive things to say about their school. Just a "mehh they gave me good finanacial aid so I came here". Take that as you will.

I'm an MS1 on the Indy campus and I am in no way "miserable". I highly doubt any of my friends would call themselves that either. We all have our complaints here and there but they exist on the other campuses too. I love this campus. Med school will be what you make it!

I am glad someone else brings up how happy the students are at the regional campuses. My friends at South Bend and Muncie love the block program and the one a Purdue is happier there than during undergrad. Still, I worry that the best research opportunities are at Indy.

I am glad someone else brings up how happy the students are at the regional campuses. My friends at South Bend and Muncie love the block program and the one a Purdue is happier there than during undergrad. Still, I worry that the best research opportunities are at Indy.
Yeah exactly!! I know people at muncie, terra haute and gary and those are the 3 least appealing locations to me but they all love it! I think some of the other locations that are better like south bend or lafayette would be great! I'm just torn because I always thought I'd go Indy as my 1 and all my friends are putting that as their 1 but I just know too many people there that hate it. 1 of my good friends dropped out the first semester and another one was seriously thinking about dropping out. The happiest people I know in Indy are the ones that say it is okay. But people at the regional campuses or other medical schools say how much they absolutely love it. I've never heard that from an Indy student.....

All this talk is making me sad! I put Indy as my top choice. I didn't realize students weren't happy there. What don't students like about it there?

All this talk is making me sad! I put Indy as my top choice. I didn't realize students weren't happy there. What don't students like about it there?

Medical school is what you make of it. If Indy is your top choice, keep it. Don't become closed minded because of what you read here. There are plenty of happy people at Indy. It all depends on your preference... Going into any school with negative thoughts about it will make you seek out all the negatives about the school. Stay open minded...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
A very close friend is at Indy and he loves it, but he doesn't hang out with other med students much. I think that may be the disconnect because he has a ton of friends that he knows from college that live in Indy and he hangs with them when he has time. I know someone at South Bend and it seems the entire class just knows one another really well since they actually go to class together and must interact with one another whereas at the Indianapolis campus you can choose not to interact with people in school. Can anyone comment on that?