2014-2015 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Any opinions on best campus? I am interested in as many research opportunities as possible. I will probably end up specializing rather than pursue primary care, and a bigger city is important to me. I imagine Indianapolis would be best for me - any thoughts as to the others?

Any opinions on best campus? I am interested in as many research opportunities as possible. I will probably end up specializing rather than pursue primary care, and a bigger city is important to me. I imagine Indianapolis would be best for me - any thoughts as to the others?

It truly doesn't matter where you do your first two years...

Example.. In my case I'm particularly interested in the Northwest campus because of the block scheduling 'taking one course at a time' so for the first two years I hope to be there... Then I'll most likely come back to Indy for my clinical years due to the better hospitals... Just research them I'd say

Example.. In my case I'm particularly interested in the Northwest campus because of the block scheduling 'taking one course at a time' so for the first two years I hope to be there... Then I'll most likely come back to Indy for my clinical years due to the better hospitals... Just research them I'd say

Is there any single resource available that compares and contrasts all 9 campuses? I have not found one. So far, I have been reading through each campus website individually, and it is tedious. It would be great if there was a single page that explained the differences in program structure between the campuses.

Is there any single resource available that compares and contrasts all 9 campuses? So far, I have been reading through each campus website individually, and it is tedious. It would be great if there was a single page that explained the differences in program structure between the campuses.

To my knowledge there is not... Maybe create your own notes... I don't know how far away you are but the best advice I can give is to visit the ones that interest you.

Members don't see this ad :)

South Bend and Muncie are block schedule, and Northwest is PBL. If you don't love PBL, then you might want to look at the other campuses.

South Bend and Muncie are block schedule, and Northwest is PBL. If you don't love PBL, then you might want to look at the other campuses.

Every campus implements PBL... Northwest just has it 3x a week vs twice. But I recently visited the campus and they are indeed on block scheduling

Since the 15th is on a Sunday again this month, does anyone know if they plan to mail out decisions tomorrow?

Just rescinded my spot. IUSM looks like a great school, but I'm committed to my top choice now :D Hopefully it goes to one of you guys! Cheers and best of luck!

Has anyone who interviewed on January 14 been either accepted, waitlisted or rejected?

Reactions: 1 user
Since the 15th is on a Sunday again this month, does anyone know if they plan to mail out decisions tomorrow?

Last month Sunday was on the 15th as well and my letter wasn't mailed until the following week from the postmark. However, my letter was dated on the 13th, so the committee did (and could this month too) meet earlier than the 15th. It could vary though because last month it fell on a holiday weekend so you never know. I received my letter on a Thursday and had already basically given up hope to find out until the next month.

Last month Sunday was on the 15th as well and my letter wasn't mailed until the following week from the postmark. However, my letter was dated on the 13th, so the committee did (and could this month too) meet earlier than the 15th. It could vary though because last month it fell on a holiday weekend so you never know. I received my letter on a Thursday and had already basically given up hope to find out until the next month.

Hmm alright. I am just wondering because I am leaving on Saturday for a week long vacation so if I do get a letter I probably won't see it until I get back :eek: . Is there a time period in which you have to respond/put down a deposit?

Hmm alright. I am just wondering because I am leaving on Saturday for a week long vacation so if I do get a letter I probably won't see it until I get back :eek: . Is there a time period in which you have to respond/put down a deposit?

There is no deposit, and you have two weeks to respond via snail mail. I don't think the two week policy is too strict though because how can they know when you actually receive the letter? At the earliest, I couldn't have mailed my response until a week after it was dated. So, I wouldn't worry about that.

I interviewed January 7th, and I still have not heard anything yet.....it still says under consideration on the application portal...anybody else? Im pretty nervous.

I interviewed January 7th, and I still have not heard anything yet.....it still says under consideration on the application portal...anybody else? Im pretty nervous.

I interviewed on the 1/7 and heard back last month. Just stay confident!

I'm pretty prepared for the no since its been so long...but I guess I have to keep my fingers crossed

I'm pretty prepared for the no since its been so long...but I guess I have to keep my fingers crossed

I don't think you should be prepared for a no! I know people who interviewed in November 2013 and got accepted June 2014. The people that interviewed in January have only been under review one time at most.

I don't think you should be prepared for a no! I know people who interviewed in November 2013 and got accepted June 2014. The people that interviewed in January have only been under review one time at most.
Thank you that makes me feel better! Do you think sending in a letter of intent would help?

Thank you that makes me feel better! Do you think sending in a letter of intent would help?

That's a tough decision to make. I'm of the mind that it could not hurt you, but most likely won't help much. Others would tell you it's pointless and you shouldn't. I realize this answer is no help, but I think you should do what you feel like!

Hey just thought I'd tell those of you who don't already know this that campus assignments will be released sometime the week after second look!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just a heads up, I called the admissions office and letters will be mailed out next week, but it sounded as though the committee has already met so they might start changing portal status soon. Good luck to everyone! Unfortunately I still am under consideration :(

Reactions: 5 users

I interviewed November 12 and was not accepted until Feb 15 and didn't find out about it until Feb 20th, also I noticed that some applicants who interviewed in October and earlier were in the same round of acceptances.

So 2 months of waiting isn't necessarily a negative indicator.

Just a heads up, I called the admissions office and letters will be mailed out next week, but it sounded as though the committee has already met so they might start changing portal status soon. Good luck to everyone! Unfortunately I still am under consideration :(

The portal didn't change until about a week after I was officially accepted (date on letter). So, your under consideration status doesn't mean too much right now

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody here interviewed on the 11th of February? Heard anything back? Apparently mail is sent out on the 15th (Which is Sunday so Idk if they sent it out Friday or today).

Also, I heard from previous applicants that rejections are sent by email while acceptances/waitlist is sent by snail mail....anybody have any idea if thats true?

A bunch of people added to the Facebook page today. Maybe the portal has been updated for those who are waiting to hear.

Anybody here interviewed on the 11th of February? Heard anything back? Apparently mail is sent out on the 15th (Which is Sunday so Idk if they sent it out Friday or today).

Also, I heard from previous applicants that rejections are sent by email while acceptances/waitlist is sent by snail mail....anybody have any idea if thats true?
In the same boat like you. Interviewed feb 11th. Hoping to hear back this week but haven't heard anything so far.
I am not sure they do email rejections like you mentioned. Some past accepted students have indicated that IUSM does things differently. Some suggest they got everything by mail, or email and then mail, or mail and then phone call. Which ever it is, I am looking forward to it. I seem to believe that rejections and waitlists are reserved for the June deadline meanwhile accepted students will generally hear before then, again, there is no rule, I guess. No news might mean your decision will be given out in the next round of decisions, or the next, or the next. Fingers crossed! Stay hopeful.

A bunch of people added to the Facebook page today. Maybe the portal has been updated for those who are waiting to hear.
Didn't get a Facebook request. Just wondering how much is the 'bunch' and does the administrator send you a request or you ask to join the group and are accepted after you hear your decision?

Thanks tatum and boydkmd. I called IUSM and letters were sent out so hopefully we get acceptances in the next few days, otherwise like you said boydkmd, it might be delayed till the next month. Either way, I wish you best of luck. Just keep refreshing that portal page.

Didn't get a Facebook request. Just wondering how much is the 'bunch' and does the administrator send you a request or you ask to join the group and are accepted after you hear your decision?

They have you send a request to be accepted into the group and accept you automatically if you have been accepted. I was in the group well before they received my answer. There will be more people in the group than those who actually enroll. It looks like13 with in the past 24 hours. Sorry "a bunch" was kind of vague, but to put that into perspective..13 is more than the prior 2 weeks combined, so I'm sure some new acceptances have went out.

They have you send a request to be accepted into the group and accept you automatically if you have been accepted. I was in the group well before they received my answer. There will be more people in the group than those who actually enroll. It looks like13 with in the past 24 hours. Sorry "a bunch" was kind of vague, but to put that into perspective..13 is more than the prior 2 weeks combined, so I'm sure some new acceptances have went out.
Thanks Tatum. That sure clarifies alot and put things in perspective!

Last edited:

You're not helping with people situations as much as you may think you are. The letter comes before the facebook invite.

You're not helping with people situations as much as you may think you are. The letter comes before the facebook invite.

If your portal status changed you would know you could join the group. Offer of admission is the only requirement, not receipt of letter. I was letting people know that people had recently joined the group, so admissions offers had likely went out and those people had to find out they got accepted somehow. How do we know it was via the letter rather than the portal?

If your portal status changed you would know you could join the group. Offer of admission is the only requirement, not receipt of letter. I was letting people know that people had recently joined the group, so admissions offers had likely went out and those people had to find out they got accepted somehow. How do we know it was via the letter rather than the portal?

But you're making an assumption that the few people who recently joined the group are from this month acceptance which is somewhat completely false. The portal status usually does not change for a couple of days after the letter goes out. The only thing that clues people in of getting accepted before the letter arrives in the mail is the email you receive for background check, campus preference...etc

But you're making an assumption that the few people who recently joined the group are from this month acceptance which is somewhat completely false. The portal status usually does not change for a couple of days after the letter goes out. The only thing that clues people in of getting accepted before the letter arrives in the mail is the email you receive for background check, campus preference...etc

Keyword "usually". There have been people in this very thread who learned of acceptance via the portal. Someone works in an office and is tasked with updating the portals. Who is to say that the normal person who normally does it 7 days after isn't out this week for spring break and some replacement didn't go ahead and do it? There is little continuity in this process so I was letting people know that there is a possibility it may have changed. I am indeed making the assumption that the people who recently joined the group are from this month because I couldn't understand why else there would be less than 15 people join between the dates of 2/25-3/15 and then 13 people join between 3/15-3/16. It could very well be an incorrect assumption, but again.. It was a possibility of which I was making people aware. I'm not trying to give people the magical key to unlock the secrets of the process. I was just letting people know that some a bunch had joined the Facebook group, which is abnormal. Then, I was asked what that process was, which I discussed. I know the only thing that really matters is receiving a big letter that says accepted, but I know having something to think about soothes my mind and probably others like me. So, I'm sorry that you felt the information wasn't valuable, but I have to disagree.

I got the acceptance letter in the mail today!!!!!! I live ~5 min from the admissions office so might take longer for others. Interviewed 2/11 at IUNW. For anyone who is still waiting and fears a rejection just try to keep a positive attitude.

This was my THIRD(!) application cycle, but I kept at it working on my MCAT score as well as GPA with a pre-professional masters AND IT PAID OFF!!!

If medicine is truly something you want to do keep at it, and don't take no for an answer.

Reactions: 13 users
I got the acceptance letter in the mail today!!!!!! I live ~5 min from the admissions office so might take longer for others. Interviewed 2/11 at IUNW. For anyone who is still waiting and fears a rejection just try to keep a positive attitude.

This was my THIRD(!) application cycle, but I kept at it working on my MCAT score as well as GPA with a pre-professional masters AND IT PAID OFF!!!

If medicine is truly something you want to do keep at it, and don't take no for an answer.

Congratulations!

CONGRATS, thanks for sharing. I currently live in Philly so it will take a few days for me....if you dont mind, can you share stats?