2014-2015 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how many days after sending in your waitlist confirmation letter does your online status reflect it?

Members don't see this ad.

So I haven't checked my status for months and it says
"Thank you for your application. Your file has been reviewed by a member of our Admissions Committee. While we have decided not to invite you for an interview at this time, we would like to re-evaluate your application again in the spring should interview spots remain. We have many completed applications to review and wish to hold on a final decision on your application until later in the cycle. Again, thank you for your interest in Drexel College of Medicine."
I know it was most likely mentioned earlier but with 40+ pages, I don't have the endurance to look through it all. Is this a hold, or a rejection, or a rejection in the guise of a hold? Help me out here.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Thank you for your application. Your file has been reviewed by a member of our Admissions Committee. While we have decided not to invite you for an interview at this time, we would like to re-evaluate your application again in the spring should interview spots remain. We have many completed applications to review and wish to hold on a final decision on your application until later in the cycle. Again, thank you for your interest in Drexel College of Medicine."
I know it was most likely mentioned earlier but with 40+ pages, I don't have the endurance to look through it all. Is this a hold, or a rejection, or a rejection in the guise of a hold? Help me out here.

Sounds like a hold. They're not rejecting you and explicitly say they'd like to review the app again in the spring and may invite you for an interview if spots remain.

Better than the circular file!

Thanks for responding BertMacklin. Do you or anybody else here know if they do send out pre-II rejections? I don't think I've seen any looking over the past few pages. Also, forgive my ignorance but what's a "circular file"?

Thanks for responding BertMacklin. Do you or anybody else here know if they do send out pre-II rejections? I don't think I've seen any looking over the past few pages. Also, forgive my ignorance but what's a "circular file"?
They do not send out pre-interview rejections. With the massive number of applicants that they have yet to review getting an interview after being placed on hold is very unlikely. Probably much closer to a rejection. I am sorry if I am coming across as negative but I have learned that it is very important to stay in touch with reality during this cycle so you are not disappointed with high expectations. Hope is different than high expectations. Either way good luck!

That is a hold, I was on hold starting in December and I just got an interview invite this past week! Don't give up hope justt yet

Reactions: 4 users
They DO send out pre-II rejections. I got one yesterday in the mail :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was sent 2 months ago to them and I received no response. I stopped by when I was actually in the area and was turned away from the school. Doesn't make me want to go there anyway.

Wait... you stopped by the school? Are you serious? Lmao!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got a second look email. So, who's going?

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed in September and was finally accepted yesterday, so just try to stay positive!!!! a long wait isn't necessarily a bad thing!
Hello just wondering could you check you portal status/decision online to see what it says since you got accepted. just want to see if it actually updates online.

Hello just wondering could you check you portal status/decision online to see what it says since you got accepted. just want to see if it actually updates online.
It just said that something would be arriving in the mail (didn't change from that status until after i sent in my deposit).

Interviewed on 01/20 and received my waitlist letter today. The school was nice and I felt that my interviews went really well but my answer to one specific question makes me not surprised to be waitlisted. I'll be declining my waitlist spot(however little significance that means). Congrats to everyone already accepted and good luck everyone still in the running.

Interviewed on 01/20 and received my waitlist letter today. The school was nice and I felt that my interviews went really well but my answer to one specific question makes me not surprised to be waitlisted. I'll be declining my waitlist spot(however little significance that means). Congrats to everyone already accepted and good luck everyone still in the running.

What was the question?

What was the question?

During the beginning of my interview, my interviewer talked about how historically they have protected their yield when referring to residency interviews I believe, but this past year(or sometime recent) they didn't care and were surprised at the applicants who turned down more "prestigious" positions to take their offer. At the very end of my interview, my interviewer asked me where else I was interviewing and so I was just like, a couple of places in the northeast since it's my preferred location. Then the interviewer asked, "No, specifically" and took out a pen and asked me to name all the schools as they wrote it down. From the schools I named, it could have been implied that I may prefer another school if accepted and I think that may have sunk me to the waitlist. Unfortunately, I would have definitely considered Drexel if accepted outright but I'm not going to wait on my fate of the waitlist of a 10k+ application school.

During the beginning of my interview, my interviewer talked about how historically they have protected their yield when referring to residency interviews I believe, but this past year(or sometime recent) they didn't care and were surprised at the applicants who turned down more "prestigious" positions to take their offer. At the very end of my interview, my interviewer asked me where else I was interviewing and so I was just like, a couple of places in the northeast since it's my preferred location. Then the interviewer asked, "No, specifically" and took out a pen and asked me to name all the schools as they wrote it down. From the schools I named, it could have been implied that I may prefer another school if accepted and I think that may have sunk me to the waitlist. Unfortunately, I would have definitely considered Drexel if accepted outright but I'm not going to wait on my fate of the waitlist of a 10k+ application school.

i had the exact same question and i tried to do the same as you. first gave a vague answer, but then was prompted to give specifics. i had to give a few "more prestigious" answers, which i feel might have screwed me over (WHICH SUCKS because i havent gotten into those "more prestigious" schools). but then again, who knows if that question made or broke our application haha

i had the exact same question and i tried to do the same as you. first gave a vague answer, but then was prompted to give specifics. i had to give a few "more prestigious" answers, which i feel might have screwed me over (WHICH SUCKS because i havent gotten into those "more prestigious" schools). but then again, who knows if that question made or broke our application haha

+1

Edit: Were your interviews downtown?

Last edited:
Yep, I'm sure we all probably had the same person. I thought those type of questions were off limits, but I guess it must have been considered really important if the interviewer decided to ask that question to every interviewee.

Yep, I'm sure we all probably had the same person. I thought those type of questions were off limits, but I guess it must have been considered really important if the interviewer decided to ask that question to every interviewee.

Yeah, I was kinda caught off guard for how hard he pushed for that info and my impressions of the schools. Still, it was probably the most interesting interview all cycle. Guess I'll find out in a month or so..

At the very end of my interview, my interviewer asked me where else I was interviewing and so I was just like, a couple of places in the northeast since it's my preferred location. Then the interviewer asked, "No, specifically" and took out a pen and asked me to name all the schools as they wrote it down.

What kind of response do they really want here?

I'd take the political route and say: "While it's highly probable that I am considering many schools to complete my medical education, the most important factor is where I would be happiest and also receive the best medical education considering all factors. At (such-and-such) university, I would be able to X, Y, and Z. I am here today because I specifically chose this institution for (reasons), and I would be honored to attend (such-and-such) university to complete my medical education."

You're welcome to anyone who sees this and uses it (-_-). Not sure what this specific interview ethical requirements are, so I'm just speaking to a hypothetical situation where an interview asks "So, where else have you applied?"

What kind of response do they really want here?

I'd take the political route and say: "While it's highly probable that I am considering many schools to complete my medical education, the most important factor is where I would be happiest and also receive the best medical education considering all factors. At (such-and-such) university, I would be able to X, Y, and Z. I am here today because I specifically chose this institution for (reasons), and I would be honored to attend (such-and-such) university to complete my medical education."

You're welcome to anyone who sees this and uses it (-_-). Not sure what this specific interview ethical requirements are, so I'm just speaking to a hypothetical situation where an interview asks "So, where else have you applied?"

Yeah I thought it was weird that this person specifically recorded the school names and asked about a few of them. He was a no PC kind of guy, so if I pulled the "honored to attend.." stuff I have no doubt that he would have called me out on it.

That said, I feel like this was just to put people on the spot and on a topic that people probably didn't preprepare for. It was probably just a stress question. Who knows.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't heard anything. I still have a "your file is complete and will be reviewed." I'm thinking that this is probably a silent rejection. I was complete in October-November I think.

I was asked how many schools I applied to, where, and if I had interviewed elsewhere. I simply answered that I had applied to 31 schools, and that medical school admissions was such a competitive process that it would be unwise not to apply to as many schools as possible to help ensure a successful application. He seemed satisfied with my answer and didn't push it further, even though I had only partially answered the question.

Reactions: 2 users
anybody send drexel an update/LOI after getting waitlisted? i sent one a few days ago but never received confirmation that they received it, and was wondering if anybody else received confirmation. thanks!

Let's not make speculation here as to why someone has been waitlisted or not. And I'm pretty sure everyone knows that no one applies to just one school - everyone weighs options. No one is blind to reality. The last thing we want is for people not to be honest and make up responses when they interview at places because of a perceived notion that it would help them get in if they give that response.

Hey guys, I got into Drexel but I also got into Philadelphia College of Medicine. I'm having a really tough time deciding between the two. What are your thoughts? Thank you!

Which letters do you prefer after your name? What're your thoughts on either school?

I'm canceling my interview for late March. Hopefully, it goes to one of you guys! Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
Sooo how was everyone elses interview experience??? Both my faculty and student interviewers were extremely rude. It felt like they were forced to be there and had zero interest in getting to know me as an applicant. They basically just read standard questions from a piece of paper with zero emotion, wrote down a few things, never smiled, did not intently listen, and couldn't wait for it to be over. Totally unprofessional if you ask me. I don't even care if I get in or not, I can't imagine what else is wrong with this school if that is the first impression they give to potential students. Anyone else had a similar experience (or totally different experience)???

Sooo how was everyone elses interview experience??? Both my faculty and student interviewers were extremely rude. It felt like they were forced to be there and had zero interest in getting to know me as an applicant. They basically just read standard questions from a piece of paper with zero emotion, wrote down a few things, never smiled, did not intently listen, and couldn't wait for it to be over. Totally unprofessional if you ask me. I don't even care if I get in or not, I can't imagine what else is wrong with this school if that is the first impression they give to potential students. Anyone else had a similar experience (or totally different experience)???

I interviewed back in Oct. and was accepted. I had a great interview experience, totally the opposite of everything you just said. From talking to my fellow interviewees while we were waiting for our student interviewers, we all seemed to had a good experience talking to our faculty during the interview. The students were really friendly and my personal interview experience was positive. Sorry to hear about your bad experience, I'm unsure why that happened (maybe just bad luck?).

I had a great interview experience, probably my best of the cycle. My faculty interviewer was so interesting and seemed to want to know everything about my experiences and activities. I really enjoyed my day there.

Reactions: 1 user

Not my experience at all. I had a great interview experience. My faculty interviewer was super nice and interested in what I had to say. Same with my student interviewer, very laid back and friendly.

Does anyone know if they're still sending II's? I completed the secondary near the deadline, in December.

Does anyone know if they're still sending II's? I completed the secondary near the deadline, in December.

Considering there is only 2 interview weeks left (I'm pretty sure unless they opened more) the chances are slim but maybe for a cancelation.

Considering there is only 2 interview weeks left (I'm pretty sure unless they opened more) the chances are slim but maybe for a cancelation.

That's what I'm hoping for. Some of the other guys I spoke to at my TCMC interview said they got a last minute invite at Drexel. Who knows.

anybody send an update after getting waitlisted and get confirmation that they received your update?