2013-2014 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If we submit our secondaries by next week, does anyone know how long does it take for them to invite you to an interview? I keep hearing UIC takes a long time...like 4-5 months!! can anyone confirm this?

From the website:

"The Committee on Admissions evaluates completed applications on a rolling basis from early September through the end of March"

So it looks like for those of us submitting our apps early, there's still going to be a waiting game. I'm wondering if we'll be among the first applications that get reviewed though?

Members don't see this ad.

From the website:

"The Committee on Admissions evaluates completed applications on a rolling basis from early September through the end of March"

So it looks like for those of us submitting our apps early, there's still going to be a waiting game. I'm wondering if we'll be among the first applications that get reviewed though?

Oh I see..hopefully, we get reviewed first!

Members don't see this ad :)
letter packet is acceptable. I asked today. FYI

can anyone post the prompts? it's not letting me go to that part of hte application until i complete everything before for some reason

Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it?
2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why?

Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it?
2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why?

Thank you! Really appreciate it.

What are you guys writing about for the second question? I don't really have any artistic hobbies like an instrument or writing. I like board games like Settlers of Catan and fantasy football but I'm not sure if fantasy football fits....

What are you guys writing about for the second question? I don't really have any artistic hobbies like an instrument or writing. I like board games like Settlers of Catan and fantasy football but I'm not sure if fantasy football fits....

I wrote about exercising. It can be anything you do.

What is the character/word limit for each prompt question?

First time posting on here! Does anyone know if they give any preference to students who attended UIC undergrad? Hoping for some alma matter love

To those who have submitted, has anyone noticed any problems with apostrophes and quotation marks in the body of their essays? I have submitted mine, and all the apostrophes and quotation marks have been changed to the following symbol: Ђ

Anyone else have this problem?

Members don't see this ad :)

Talk about fantasy football and related it to "The League" hahahah. It's perfect because it's set in the chi.

To those who have submitted, has anyone noticed any problems with apostrophes and quotation marks in the body of their essays? I have submitted mine, and all the apostrophes and quotation marks have been changed to the following symbol: Ђ

Anyone else have this problem?

Same here.

Just gotta be you! But I did notice they seem to like the more unique hobbies... I wrote about my archery/bowhunting activities.

I also did the optiional essays. They seem to really respond to honest, real-life (no pity) hardships.

Just gotta be you! But I did notice they seem to like the more unique hobbies... I wrote about my archery/bowhunting activities.

I also did the optiional essays. They seem to really respond to honest, real-life (no pity) hardships.

I only saw one optional essay? :scared:

Maybe a silly question -- when it asks "Are you currently employed?" under the Personal Information tab, do work-study jobs count?

Maybe a silly question -- when it asks "Are you currently employed?" under the Personal Information tab, do work-study jobs count?

I'm sure they do. If you work and get paid, I can't see why it wouldn't.

why are they asking for all our activities again..? Everything is already on the primary app...

you guys put anything for this question? don't really understand it. listing awards is totally different from advantages?

Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (Don't exceed 150 words)
If you did not experience an advantage and/or complication during your education please indicate 'Not Applicable'

also, does anyone know what we do for contact if we don't have one? on amcas we were just told to put our contact info and then explain why. this is from an old job like 3 years ago i couldn't find my boss

also, does anyone know what we do for contact if we don't have one? on amcas we were just told to put our contact info and then explain why. this is from an old job like 3 years ago i couldn't find my boss

try Human Resources?

From what AMCAS has posted, you can put yourself as contact... I started the clinical volunteering program that Im in, so I am the contact, therefore, I just put myself.

progress vs process here we go!

What is this specifically a reference to?

The status. UIC flops around a lot with the wording of your status throughout the year. Last year's thread should show you how far people go to figure it out, quite amusing :laugh:

From what AMCAS has posted, you can put yourself as contact... I started the clinical volunteering program that Im in, so I am the contact, therefore, I just put myself.

i know this is how AMCAS works. you did the same on the extra curricular portion of UIC application?

For those of you guys who have already completed and submitted the secondary application-

Did you guys include your shadowing/clinical observation experiences in the "extracurriculars" section of your secondary application? I was leaning towards doing so, but didn't know if shadowing or clinical observation is really defined as an "extracurricular activity?"

Thanks.

has anyone been complete yet. it says on their status page that they have received my app. but does that equate to being complete?

Is anyone able to post the secondary essay prompts? Are they the same as last year? which were

1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it? (Do not exceed 250 words)

2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why? (Do not exceed 250 words)

Thanks!

Is anyone able to post the secondary essay prompts? Are they the same as last year? which were

1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it? (Do not exceed 250 words)

2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why? (Do not exceed 250 words)

Thanks!
Those are the correct essays. They also have you enter your extracurriculars and work experience.

anybody know if the prompts are the same for MD/PhD applicants?

For the second prompt (describing a hobby), would it look bad to rehash what I have on my primary app? I already talk about 3 hobbies on my primary..... oi vay.

Another question - for the advanced bio requirement, do anyone know how I can indicate that I will be taking this prior to matriculation? I probably should have put it is one of those future courses on my amcas, but ....i didn't. any thoughts/suggestions?

will probably have to call them and ask but thought i would see if anyone knew here..

For the second prompt (describing a hobby), would it look bad to rehash what I have on my primary app? I already talk about 3 hobbies on my primary..... oi vay.

Another question - for the advanced bio requirement, do anyone know how I can indicate that I will be taking this prior to matriculation? I probably should have put it is one of those future courses on my amcas, but ....i didn't. any thoughts/suggestions?

will probably have to call them and ask but thought i would see if anyone knew here..

I wouldn't repeat what you described on your primary, but if you must, go into greater detail or describe another aspect of it.

Im not sure about the course... Id say call them. They're busy so be uber courteous, but they're usually quite nice.

Hey everybody, I am an incoming M1 at UIC. I can't really answer questions regarding the curriculum, but I can answer questions regarding the application process and interviewing here. I had a 3.49 cGPA and a 34 MCAT (10PS, 12VR, 12BS). To give everyone an idea of the timeline for application processing I was marked complete on 8/21 and got my II on 10/10. I interviewed 11/1 and got my acceptance letter a couple days before Thanksgiving. Other people had took much longer to get their II.

Below is a sort of flow chart for how the admission process works.

START

I. Submit Primary.

II. Wait for the email from UIC giving you your login information for the Applicant Status Check site (usually arrives within 2 weeks of submitting your primary): https://mercury.comd.uic.edu/appstat

III. Login, and check your status in the second page. [At the bottom of this post I link to a program I made that makes checking your status as easy as double clicking your mouse.]

---

A. "Application Not Complete" = Secondary not yet complete.

B. "Application in Process" = You are complete. --> Goto C.

C. "Applicant in Process" = Your file is being reviewed, 3 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Select Interview Date" = You are good enough for an interview. --> Goto D.
2. "Application in Process" = You are not good enough to grant an interview yet, but might be later on in the cycle. Check back periodically. --> Go back to B.
3. "Final Decision Made ..." = You are not good enough. --> Goto X.
D. "Select Interview Date" (A grid of dates shows up) = Call and schedule an interview date, after which "Interview Scheduled on ... " shows up. After the interview, Goto F.

F. "Decision Pending" = File pending review at the next adcom meeting (every 3rd Thursday of the month). There are 2 options from here, depending on the month:
1. Before May. --> Goto M.
2. On or After May. --> Goto N.

M. Before May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " --> Goto S.
2. "Decision Pending" (No Status Change) + "We'll keep reviewing you" Email (a few days later) = You are a good candidate, but not good enough to grant an acceptance yet. UIC will keep reviewing you at every adcom meeting. --> Go back to F.

N. On or After May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " You are (very likely) rejected. --> Goto X.
2. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. --> Goto Y.

S. There are 2 additional conditions from here:
1. There is an "Additional Correspondences" Tab in the upper-right corner on your status page AND you get a CBC Email (a few days later) = You are (very likely) accepted. --> Goto Z.
2. There is no "Additional Correspondences" Tab and/or you don't get the CBC Email = Rejection. [Note: This is tricky. The CBC email usually comes a few days after (1-4 is the consensus) the status change. Be patient. Sometimes, the email never comes, which might be because you already had a CBC done due to an acceptance at another school. In some instances, the CBC Email even comes after the snail-mail. If after a week, neither the tab nor the CBC email shows up, it's very likely a rejection. You've probably already received snail-mail by now alerting you to it.] --> Goto X.

X. "Final Decision Made ..." = Rejection ... Wait for a "Thin Letter" via snail-mail.

Y. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. ... The CBC Email no longer acts as an indicator of an acceptance. If you get accepted off of the waitlist, then Goto Z, else Goto X.

Z. "Final Decision Made ..." + "Additional Correspondences" Tab + CBC Email = (very likely) Acceptance ... Wait for a "Fat Packet" via snail-mail. [Note: Sometimes CBC emails come after the packet. CBC emails also might never arrive if you got an acceptance to another school that also does CBC through AMCAS.]

FINISH

---

*** NOTE: There are no guarantees in the above information, since there is always the chance that UIC changes things up. Just always keep in mind that the above is of what has happened, and not what will happen.

I want to add last year there was ONE person (as far as i know the ONLY person) who got the "Additional Correspondences" Tab and was rejected.

Reactions: 1 user

I was asked extensively about my response to this question in my interview. I would put effort into answering it.

how do we know if we are complete? I don't see anything on the status page....

Might be a stupid question, but does anyone know what happens if you go over 250 words for the essay? The prompt on the page lets you go over the limit, and right now I'm at about 300 words. I'd really prefer to not take anything else out, 250 words is too small :)

edit: nm, decided it wasn't worth the risk and BARELY got it down under 250 haha

Last edited:
how do we know if we are complete? I don't see anything on the status page....

Try logging into the supplemental app again. My supplemental page has now turned into a status page.

Edit: I was using this link, not the secondary app. Sorry!

Last edited:
I got my interview notice today! :D Woo!

But when I logged in to look at available dates, it's still blank. Anyone else in the same boat?

And I posted this twice by accident x_x

But when I logged in to look at available dates, it's still blank. Anyone else in the same boat?

stats? was it email/phone call?

Same. Available dates also blank. I'm going to wait and check in tomorrow.