2013-2014 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To clarify, I'd been told that a significant portion (up to half of the class) gets accepted after May 15th, not May 28th. From phone calls with the admissions office, it looks like there was less withdrawals than normal this year... I'm curious about how this will play out in this year's wait list movement.

Thank you for the correction.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a call from a 310 number that when i called back happened to be UCLA and I gave up hope a while ago...anyone else get a call? i missed the call cuz i didnt hear the phone ring and they didn't leave a voicemail so now im nervous...and when i called back it just was a general call back number for UCLA...ugh this is all so stressful

Last edited:
I was an MSTP applicant rejected in mid May, accepted to MD only in a letter dated last week.

Anyone know how DG scholar housing payments work if you want to live off campus?

Anyone know how DG scholar housing payments work if you want to live off campus?

Wow, did you get a Geffen? Congrats!!

If you want to live off campus, I believe they will give you up to $1,300 to cover rent. If your rent is less than $1,300, they will give you less. You must show your lease to the FAO, I believe.

Did anyone get formally waitlised yet? Jw since realreplicant mentioned getting waitlisted after march 30th prior to getting accepted.

Yeah, but before people got waitlisted there was a mass rejection... :(

have their been any rejections for MD yet?

Anyone know who decides our fate? I.e. the dean of admissions? Is it Dr. Washington or someone else?

Anyone know who decides our fate? I.e. the dean of admissions? Is it Dr. Washington or someone else?
Pretty sure it's Dean Parker (Dean of admissions, among other things) but I was told from a current student to not to email him directly and just use the normal channel of emailing the admissions office. If you choose to email him, proceed at your own risk!

Another applicant told me today that it sounded like they've pretty much given out the acceptances to fill a class and are just waiting to see their yield from that batch of recent acceptances. Most likely, rejections and wait lists (and potentially a few more acceptances?) will go out on friday or early next week. Bummer :(, I know, but don't lose hope just yet!!

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty sure it's Dean Parker (Dean of admissions, among other things) but I was told from a current student to not to email him directly and just use the normal channel of emailing the admissions office. If you choose to email him, proceed at your own risk!

This. Do not email Dean Parker.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a kiss of death to do so? Also I think its Dr. Hall after doing some research
I'm pretty sure Dr. Hall is the assistant Dean of admissions. Dr. Parker is the Senior Dean of Student Affairs which includes chairing the admissions committee.

I'm pretty sure Dr. Hall is the assistant Dean of admissions. Dr. Parker is the Senior Dean of Student Affairs which includes chairing the admissions committee.
I called and they said Dr. Hall, I asked if he was the head of the admissions committee. But there is a page that says Dr. Parker chairs the admissions committee so maybe the admissions office was wrong.. so confusing

Last edited:
I called and they said Dr. Hall, I asked if he was the head of the admissions committee and they said yes. I wish it was just outlined somewhere on their website lol
Ah well then, I stand corrected! :)

I would still advise against it though as it seems the potential cost of seeming 1. unable to follow normal protocol or 2. entitled enough where the rules don't apply to you (mentioned by other adcoms on SDN) completely outweighs the potential benefit of the dean seeing another letter stating what a great fit you are and how much you want to attend.

But if you do go for it, who knows, there's a reason why the saying goes, "Fortune favors the bold";)

Ah well then, I stand corrected! :)

I would still advise against it though as it seems the potential cost of seeming 1. unable to follow normal protocol or 2. entitled enough where the rules don't apply to you (mentioned by other adcoms on SDN) completely outweighs the potential benefit of the dean seeing another letter stating what a great fit you are and how much you want to attend.

But if you do go for it, who knows, there's a reason why the saying goes, "Fortune favors the bold";)

I probably won't do it, don't want to be axed for sending an email if he does not want them. I just want to get clarity now for addressing my update letter. At this point it seems like a lost cause anyway :p. I think it is Dr.Parker unless UCLA's website is not updated. No idea why the office told me it was Dr. Hall.

I probably won't do it, don't want to be axed for sending an email if he does not want them. I just want to get clarity now for addressing my update letter. At this point it seems like a lost cause anyway :p. I think it is Dr.Parker unless UCLA's website is not updated. No idea why the office told me it was Dr. Hall.

There is a transition under way. Regardless, neither of those people have time to field personal calls/emails from 7000 applicants.

Another applicant told me today that it sounded like they've pretty much given out the acceptances to fill a class and are just waiting to see their yield from that batch of recent acceptances. Most likely, rejections and wait lists (and potentially a few more acceptances?) will go out on friday or early next week. Bummer :(, I know, but don't lose hope just yet!!

According to last years thread waitlists and rejections went out via letters and status updates over the weekend (what would be this weekend). In my most recent phone call I was told basically the same thing that your friend heard. They are doing their best to make all decisions on all remaining applications by Friday the 13th.... geez, that's a bad omen if I ever heard one! :p

Reactions: 1 user
any movement today? WL? Rejections? Acceptances? :unsure:

They keep moving dates. Last week, they said we should hear back by this week. Now, the admissions office is saying everyone should know their status (acceptance, waitlist, rejection) within the next two weeks sigh.

They keep moving dates. Last week, they said we should hear back by this week. Now, the admissions office is saying everyone should know their status (acceptance, waitlist, rejection) within the next two weeks sigh.

how do you know? did you call today?

I obviously don't expect anything to come from UCLA at this point, but I am just curious as to whether or not other people have also experienced this... I submitted all my secondary material and LORs by mid-August last year (says they received it on the website)... haven't heard anything since. No rejection or anything on there. Did anyone else experience the same thing? Just wondering if they had misplaced my application or something! Again, I don't expect anything.. just am curious :)

I obviously don't expect anything to come from UCLA at this point, but I am just curious as to whether or not other people have also experienced this... I submitted all my secondary material and LORs by mid-August last year (says they received it on the website)... haven't heard anything since. No rejection or anything on there. Did anyone else experience the same thing? Just wondering if they had misplaced my application or something! Again, I don't expect anything.. just am curious :)
Oh sorry to hear that. As I am sure that you know the interview season is over for that cycle. Unfortunately, it sounds like your app might not have been proper places in its correct bundle. Sorry to be the one to deliver the bad news.

Good luck else where!

Oh sorry to hear that. As I am sure that you know the interview season is over for that cycle. Unfortunately, it sounds like your app might not have been proper places in its correct bundle. Sorry to be the one to deliver the bad news.

Good luck else where!

Thanks Juan for your response. I was sure that the interview season was over but just wanted to know what happened out of curiosity! haha. I'll be going to another UC but I'll keep LA in my mind for residency :)

So has anyone called UCLA this week? Are they still planning on giving everyone final decisions by tomorrow?

I haven't called, but I might today if I have time after work. I wish they would just tell us. :(

Omg my status changed!!! And I see an "Accepted Student Checklist"

Reactions: 3 users
very happy for you! mine is still blankkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. anyone else?

Yep still blank too. If anyone calls today let us know what you hear.

Congratulations though @ssfire !!!

Edit: I just called and, if I understood correctly, acceptances have all gone out and they are mailing letters to the rest of us containing either rejections or waitlist offers. Here's to hoping that they recognize that movement is slow this year and make a really small waitlist!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sad to know all the acceptances have gone out!! Time to move on!

Reactions: 1 users
STATUS CHANGE!!! IF I SEE ACCEPTED STUDENT CHECKLIST, I'M IN RIGHT?
Screen shot 2014-06-14 at 10.51.23 PM.png

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to @ssfire and @temporaryumm !! To the rest of us with a blank status, good luck this week!!

EDIT: After I changed/updated my contact information, I noticed at the bottom it said, "Click to return to the Accepted Student Checklist" - I'm assuming this is a glitch, correct?

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 10.34.02 AM.png

Last edited:
Congrats to @ssfire and @temporaryumm !! To the rest of us with a blank status, good luck this week!!

EDIT: After I changed/updated my contact information, I noticed at the bottom it said, "Click to return to the Accepted Student Checklist" - I'm assuming this is a glitch, correct?

View attachment 182289
That accepted student checklist is usually a good sign and not a glitch. Especially if you can click the tab.

That accepted student checklist is usually a good sign and not a glitch. Especially if you can click the tab.
My status page is still blank and when I click "Accepted Students Checklist" from the previous image, it is an empty page with this:(Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 10.53.33 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 10.53.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 10.53.33 AM.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 149