2013-2014 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know about the "waitlist" situation this year? Looks like last year they accepted a few people on May 28th.

I interviewed over 7 months ago they really should just make a decision already.
I understand your frustration. However, UCLA typically operates on a silent waitlist, so if you have not been accepted or rejected then you are wait listed. This style of a waitlist is going to be changed in the future years, and I know that this doesn't help you right now. My advice is that if UCLA is one of your top choices then just try and be patient for a little longer. If UCLA is not a place that you want to be at then just don't worry about it and go on with the process at other places.

GL

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
so how do you make your secondaries for ucla meaningful if you're limited to 800 characters? this is dreadful :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Less than a week until the date when a lot of acceptances went out a year ago! :xf: I just finished taking my last prerequisite for admission so I'm all good'n'ready to be accepted now please UCLA :p

Reactions: 3 users
I wonder how many acceptances will go out on the next/final batch...

Reactions: 1 user
Fun fact: last year some people got in the day after Memorial Day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Fun fact: last year some people got in the day after Memorial Day.
Lol, I'm supposed to be chilling during my vacation, but then you go and say this.

Lol, I'm supposed to be chilling during my vacation, but then you go and say this.
Lol sorry. I've been checking my status for no reason for the past 2 hours. Thankfully I have work in a bit to take my mind off of everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! How did you find out?
I checked the application this morning, like every morning and I saw there was something to click where it says Acceptance Information at the bottom. Nothing in the mail.
So incredibly blessed beyond belief.

I called and was told that they didn't get as many as withdrawals as they thought they would. They said to expect the waitlist the first week of June.

I called and was told that they didn't get as many as withdrawals as they thought they would. They said to expect the waitlist the first week of June.

There's no way I'm waiting more :( I'm just gonna stop checking sdn/status and move on with my life.

Were they explicit then that no more acceptances are going out, just waitlist offers and rejections?

Were they explicit then that no more acceptances are going out, just waitlist offers and rejections?
They told me that it could be anything by the end of this month/early june...not just wait list letters. :( Honestly at the point of not caring, I just want to be done one way or the other

They told me that it could be anything by the end of this month/early june...not just wait list letters. :( Honestly at the point of not caring, I just want to be done one way or the other

This is definitely painful... I wish everyone else the best in the coming days. Maybe if enough people call they will just open up another 100 spots in there class and spread the love :biglove:.

I guess this means there could be some more acceptances, but definitely lots-o-rejections very soon?

I guess this means there could be some more acceptances, but definitely lots-o-rejections very soon?

I called and the lady said that there should be some more acceptances this week and next week, but that the majority would be waitlisted/rejected. This whole process really just sucks.

Reactions: 1 users
I called and the lady said that there should be some more acceptances this week and next week, but that the majority would be waitlisted/rejected. This whole process really just sucks.

Thanks for the clarification ssfire!! I love how one person reported an acceptance and then half of SDN called UCLA. The woman working the phones must have been like "???"

Thanks for the clarification ssfire!! I love how one person reported an acceptance and then half of SDN called UCLA. The woman working the phones must have been like "???"

No problem :)

And haha, yeah I couldn't help myself. The lady seemed nice though.

It sucks that so many people got in after Memorial Day last year, but movement is slow for us. :(

Last edited:
so if your status changes to "letter sent" and the accepted student checklist is available.... is it 100% sure you've been accepted?!?!?!

Reactions: 3 users
so if your status changes to "letter sent" and the accepted student checklist is available.... is it 100% sure you've been accepted?!?!?!
click on the button that says accepted, then click on the button that says continue. It says something about waiting for your offer in the mail, but i was so blinded with joy i didn't read that and I kept clicking anyway at the top it says this:

Congratulations on your acceptance to
the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA!

I'm going to assume that I have been accepted, unless the cosmos has played a terrible joke on me.

Congrats to the new acceptances! And I'm sending hugs to everyone still waiting-- try to hang in there.
haha appreciate you trying to comfort all of us anxiously awaiting our decision - you're gonna be an awesome doctor!:D

click on the button that says accepted, then click on the button that says continue. It says something about waiting for your offer in the mail, but i was so blinded with joy i didn't read that and I kept clicking anyway at the top it says this:

Congratulations on your acceptance to
the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA!

I'm going to assume that I have been accepted, unless the cosmos has played a terrible joke on me.
That's probably a safe bet.

haha appreciate you trying to comfort all of us anxiously awaiting our decision - you're gonna be an awesome doctor!:D
Thanks, I just remember how much the waiting sucked!

Last edited:
Girlfriend just got in via email! There is hope guys!! Interviewed in October or November I believe. Sent in a letter of intent recently.

Good luck to all!

Girlfriend just got in via email! There is hope guys!! Interviewed in October or November I believe. Sent in a letter of intent recently.

Good luck to all!
Via email? I didn't know UCLA notified via email...?

Update: Today I got a letter in the mail saying that I received the DG scholarship. I started out feeling totally rocked by the MMI and after I was waitlisted after the march 30th date, had
no idea that I would ever ever ever in my wildest dreams be able to be accepted and then receive something so profound. Anything is possible, don't give up hope!!

Reactions: 8 users
Update: Today I got a letter in the mail saying that I received the DG scholarship. I started out feeling totally rocked by the MMI and after I was waitlisted after the march 30th date, had
no idea that I would ever ever ever in my wildest dreams be able to be accepted and then receive something so profound. Anything is possible, don't give up hope!!

Congrats!!!!! Enjoy the moment! :)

Congrats! I guess we will be seeing you in the fall ;)

It could also be the financial aid email congratulating her on her acceptance and she just hadn't seen that her status had changed online

Yes exactly. It was the financial aid email. THEN she checked her status.

So is movement basically done here? Been holding out getting an apartment at the school I hold an acceptance at and don't want to keep waiting based off false hope

Reactions: 5 users
So is movement basically done here? Been holding out getting an apartment at the school I hold an acceptance at and don't want to keep waiting based off false hope

I got in last week and so did some others, apparently, so there's some movement.

Coming from sdn posts/threads in the last few years, it seems like a significant portion (up to half of the class) gets accepted after May 28th. Judging from that, I'm sure there will be movement in June/July.

I know the wait is ridiculous, but let's face it: UCLA is worth the wait.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone get formally waitlised yet? Jw since realreplicant mentioned getting waitlisted after march 30th prior to getting accepted.

Did anyone get formally waitlised yet? Jw since realreplicant mentioned getting waitlisted after march 30th prior to getting accepted.
I don't believe there has been a formal waitlist yet. Last year people were waitlisted around this time though.

Last edited:
Coming from sdn posts/threads in the last few years, it seems like a significant portion (up to half of the class) gets accepted after May 28th. Judging from that, I'm sure there will be movement in June/July.

I know the wait is ridiculous, but let's face it: UCLA is worth the wait.

To clarify, I'd been told that a significant portion (up to half of the class) gets accepted after May 15th, not May 28th. From phone calls with the admissions office, it looks like there was less withdrawals than normal this year... I'm curious about how this will play out in this year's wait list movement.