2013-2014 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you guys!! But does anyone know if UCLA matches scholarships? Because I'd love to go to UCLA, but don't think I can justify giving up my current scholarship offer at UCD...
I'm sure you know this but call them ASAP. It'd be a shame for that to be the reason why you couldn't go to your dream school.

Pshhh let them know that an extra 30k/year scholarship won't make a debt in Geffen's $100 million donation and that you'll donate the same a couple years down the road - talk about a good return on an investment! lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Edit: the people who were rejected a little while ago had a status which read "Decision sent ..." If your status says "Letter sent ..." I'm willing to bet it is a waitlist offer. Maybe bad news for the rest of us though.
I suppose I'll find out sometime between late tonight (email) and 5 days from now when a letter arrives but are you sure the people who posted earlier meant that in the "final decision letter" box theirs were filled in as "decision sent" instead of "letter sent"? (sorry... super antsy, no matter the outcome it will be nice to have finally heard from every school.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure when it changed exactly... I checked this morning and it was blank. Checked after seeing one of the posts above, and at first I only saw "Letter Sent" so I thought I had the waitlist or rejection finally. But then I looked again and saw the Accepted Checklist. Then I freaked out.

congrats!

I suppose I'll find out sometime between late tonight (email) and 5 days from now when a letter arrives but are you sure the people who posted earlier meant that in the "final decision letter" box theirs were filled in as "decision sent" instead of "letter sent"? (sorry... super antsy, no matter the outcome it will be nice to have finally heard from every school.)
im confused...doesn't it just fill in the final decision letter sent with a date? i didn't know they fill in the box with text?

lol i guess it doesn't matter....whats done is done

im confused...doesn't it just fill in the final decision letter sent with a date? i didn't know they fill in the box with text?
this is what mine looks like...

Before the two boxes to the right were blank

Attachments

• dgsom.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 155
hmmm the photo won't show up on my computer

but looking at my status page it makes sense now....i think!
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.jpg

(all the other items have dates, I just removed them...)

Not sure when it changed exactly... I checked this morning and it was blank. Checked after seeing one of the posts above, and at first I only saw "Letter Sent" so I thought I had the waitlist or rejection finally. But then I looked again and saw the Accepted Checklist. Then I freaked out.
Wait, do you mean it said "Letter Sent" with no checklist, then you logged in again later it then had the accepted student checklist or you just didn't notice it when you first logged in?

Also, it'd be quite cruel to reject people by sending letters on the same day that they also sent acceptance letters lol so I have my fingers crossed for those who got a "Letter Sent" today

Can you let us know either way? I just want to know what's going on these days... :confused:

Edit: the people who were rejected a little while ago had a status which read "Decision sent ..." If your status says "Letter sent ..." I'm willing to bet it is a waitlist offer. Maybe bad news for the rest of us though.
oooh....interesting....in looking at last and this years thread it seems "Decision Sent" with no accepted checklist means rejection whereas "Letter Sent" with no accepted student checklist means Waitlist. How has no one noticed this over the years? So status updates from yesterday were waitlists? Lol idk what that means for the rest of us status-less people...hopefully not another round of rejections :(

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend didn't received a rejection email after having the "Letter Sent" status yesterday like the other wave of rejections so I'm guessing it probably is a waitlist notification.

I did notice that is some older threads, "Letter Sent" turned out to be rejections though so I'm not sure what to think

They better not be pulling the friday afternoon rejection crap. If statusless means rejection, do it now so I can get my apartment at my current acceptance. I've wasted enough time.

This waiting experience is the weirdest thing I have ever endured.

Reactions: 1 user
i called and the guy said end of this week/early next week everyone should have something. He said most people will get waitlist, and a few more rejections are going out.

Last edited:
i called and the guy said end of this week/early next week everyone should have something. He said most people will get waitlist, and a few more rejections are going out.

Thanks for the update! I wonder why they are giving out mostly waitlists when waitlist movement has been so slow this year and there is so little time left?

Thanks for the update! I wonder why they are giving out mostly waitlists when waitlist movement has been so slow this year and there is so little time left?
I would imagine that they will have the same "waitlist without ranking" and "hold-second priority" grouping like last year where there may not be a lot on the actually "waitlist" and a lot in the "hold" category

Long-time lurker on this thread, interviewed back in January, status changed to "letter sent" on 6/25 but have received no email since then, WHAT'S HAPPENING

I am in the same boat as all the status-less people. I say best of luck to all. But I am over worrying about this, there is nothing in our control.

Reactions: 2 users
Long-time lurker on this thread, interviewed back in January, status changed to "letter sent" on 6/25 but have received no email since then, WHAT'S HAPPENING

Similar timeline. I interviewed late January and have heard absolutely nothing for 5 months. I stopped checking the webportal around mid May assuming everything is said and done. I've been out of the country with sporadic access to wifi for a couple of weeks and yesterday I received an email asking for financial aid info. I checked the portal and lo and behold, the accepted student's checklist! Updated 6/25. There's still hope guys! Especially since i'm wayyy OOS.

Reactions: 2 users
Similar timeline. I interviewed late January and have heard absolutely nothing for 5 months. I stopped checking the webportal around mid May assuming everything is said and done. I've been out of the country with sporadic access to wifi for a couple of weeks and yesterday I received an email asking for financial aid info. I checked the portal and lo and behold, the accepted student's checklist! Updated 6/25. There's still hope guys! Especially since i'm wayyy OOS.
Congratulations!!

Congrats!!!! :)

Anyone hear anything? Guy said end of last week or today :-\ I feel like they just lie on the phone

Anyone hear anything? Guy said end of last week or today :-\ I feel like they just lie on the phone
lol anyone call this week or have a status update as of lately......its getting more and more ridiculous....

lol anyone call this week or have a status update as of lately......its getting more and more ridiculous....
I think I'm 4/4 in being lied to about when the status change is coming. Don't think I'm going to bother calling anymore. lol

It's honestly almost comical.
Haha, yeah it would be comical if they weren't basically forcing me to live in a hotel for the first month of medical school at my current acceptance :(

Haha, yeah it would be comical if they weren't basically forcing me to live in a hotel for the first month of medical school at my current acceptance :(
I'm signing my lease tomorrow... I am not so disappointed that I wasn't accepted, I'm more disappointed that so many people have been left hanging like this. Even a little "you are still under consideration, your next update will be on July 3rd" every two weeks would be nice.

Sorry that you're in that predicament. My current acceptance has student housing so that isn't as big of an issue but one of my closest friends is in a similar situation to yours and it's driving her crazy!

Woah, don't be a sucker. Just sign a lease. Let's face it, we're not getting in to Geffen!

Woah, don't be a sucker. Just sign a lease. Let's face it, we're not getting in to Geffen!
I wouldn't call it being a sucker, just willing to wait for something better. There is always housing to be found eventually.

Has anyone gotten their letter sent last week? Were they rejections or waitlists?

Last edited:
A (possibly dumb) question about matriculating here:
Will we be having some sort of orientation (or being notified of one soon), or do we just show up somewhere on Aug 4th?

Will we be having some sort of orientation (or being notified of one soon), or do we just show up somewhere on Aug 4th?

I didn't hear anything specifically about orientation, except that it's from the 4th to the 8th.

You will be notified soon about orientation. Just hang tight, relax and enjoy the rest of your summer before becoming a part of the DGSOM family.

Do you know if UCLA traditionally responds to withdrawal notifications? Because I have heard nothing from them, but I still have access to the accepted student checklist. Oh and I keep getting e-mails about BruinCard stuff
Not sure, having no experience withdrawing from UCLA myself, but you could always call and check.

my friend called and got their status over the phone -- they are sending waitlists soon apparently.

Did you try it? The number of times they've said waitlists are going out soon is too high to count :boom:
No I didn't call myself. Maybe I will later...they said they asked for amcas id and then gave their WL status tho...

There is some movement, somebody just reported on FB that they got off the WL. Good luck everyone!