2012-2013 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In LA, received waitlist letter today.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
also received my wait list letter in the mail yesterday. no status updates yet. probably Monday. it's been fun ya'll. guess I'm moving to the east coast

also received my wait list letter in the mail yesterday. no status updates yet. probably Monday. it's been fun ya'll. guess I'm moving to the east coast

Well good luck! You're probably relieved to be able to finally make plans! Where are you headed?

Well good luck! You're probably relieved to be able to finally make plans! Where are you headed?

University of Vermont, I'll be camping in the forest for 4 years, a little different than LA

Last edited:
T_T Goodbye Arbor.... probably will be getting my rejection tomorrow or so

434762395348125738166547.gif

I checked the mail today and didn't receive anything (I live in Northern California). No status update either.

Hmm...

Ah status update here with no admitted checklist, either waitlist or rejection for me

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah status update here with no admitted checklist, either waitlist or rejection for me

Status update and letter in the mail this morning (I live in southern California). Placed on HOLD (which they refer to as a second priority waitlist). That closes my application season. Good luck everyone!

Status update w/ no checklist.

Waitlisted :|

Last edited:
How many different waitlist are there ? I got placed on a waitlist with no ranking. Is this the only waitlist or is there one with ranking ?

Sorry to hear that. Good luck though!

In the Bay Area.

For me, no status update and no letter.

My roommate got a letter though, but she's out of the country so I can't open it to see what it is.

Btw I live in nor cal n received the waitlist letter today n status update

In the Bay Area.

For me, no status update and no letter.

My roommate got a letter though, but she's out of the country so I can't open it to see what it is.

I'm in the Bay Area as well. Sigh.

A wild speculation: maybe all the waitlisted applicants are getting notified first.... and rejection updates/letters were issued later. >< Eh, hopefully not!

i'm in LA... no letter/ status update. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!?! someone anyone help i'm so tired of this.

Status update and letter today in Socal. "Waitlist without ranking."

I wouldn't freak out guys, if you look on last year's thread, there were several people who got accepted late June-early July after having no WL notification. Just blank.

Status update and letter in the mail this morning (I live in southern California). Placed on HOLD (which they refer to as a second priority waitlist). That closes my application season. Good luck everyone!

Hm, so is HOLD the same as "wait list without ranking"?

Hm, so is HOLD the same as "wait list without ranking"?

As far as I can tell from my letter. Hold = second priority waitlist = waitlist without ranking? It was sent to my parents' house though so it was only read to me over the phone, maybe I'm forgetting

I'm also confused about this. I received the waitlist letter, but it didn't use the word hold or second priority waitlist in it (but it did say waitlist without ranking). Are there multiple waitlists?

also throwing it out there- maybe the people with an empty status still haven't been looked at.

who knows anymore.

As far as I can tell from my letter. Hold = second priority waitlist = waitlist without ranking? It was sent to my parents' house though so it was only read to me over the phone, maybe I'm forgetting

I don't think they are all equal. I think you either get "hold" or "waitlist without ranking," but not sure which is better to be on.

If hold says its priority waitlist then it sounds higher ranked than just waitlist without ranking.

Last edited:
I don't think they are all equal. I think you either get "hold" or "waitlist without ranking," but not sure which is better to be on.

If hold says its priority waitlist then it sounds higher ranked than just waitlist without ranking.

Didn't someone say hold was second priority waitlist? So what would make the "waitlist" first priority? Unless you are assumed those already accepted were first priority?

Didn't someone say hold was second priority waitlist? So what would make the "waitlist" first priority? Unless you are assumed those already accepted were first priority?

The phrasing is throwing me for a loop too. Guessing from this thread I don't think anyone has heard anything about a "first priority" waitlist, so you might be right that "first priority" applies to accepted people. But what an odd way for them to phrase it.

Maybe if people could transcribe what their letter says here we can make some sense of this and see if there are actually 2 different ones being sent out

"Dearest Feesh,

Your application to the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA is complete and has been acted upon.

The committee on Admissions considers you to be a qualified candidate for medical school. We have thus assigned you to a waiting list without ranking. Candidates from the waiting list may be selected for vacancies in the class if they become available.

In order that all students receive consideration, it is important that you inform us, in writing, at your earliest convenience if you wish to accept a position on the waiting list. For the same reason, it would be most helpful if at a later date you wish to withdraw from the waiting list you would notify us of your decision. Please keep us up to date by submitting any additional credentials which might be important for your record.

xoxo, UCLA"

Kinda confused about how we confirm our spot... no e-mail address mentioned.

If the other letter has words like "hold" and "second priority," that sounds to me like a lower tier waitlist, but who really knows...

Last edited:
I know some of you are on the WL (or some sort of it) at DGSOM. I just want to remind you to be patient. There is still some WL movement happening at other schools that might trigger WL at DGSOM. As for the "50% WL" last year, I would expect less to happen this year for a few reasons. Bottom line; hang in there!

I know some of you are on the WL (or some sort of it) at DGSOM. I just want to remind you to be patient. There is still some WL movement happening at other schools that might trigger WL at DGSOM. As for the "50% WL" last year, I would expect less to happen this year for a few reasons. Bottom line; hang in there!

What few reasons?

I called today and the admissions office said they do not anticipate any movement at all.

Not to be overly optimistic, but I called yesterday afternoon and was told (by the English dude) that there had been a lot of movement this cycle...the most he has seen in 5-6 years.

Does that mean anything for future movement? Beats me.

Ahhhh this is so confusing! How can one person call and get an answer that they expect no WL movement this year and then another from admissions say they are having the most movement they've ever seen.

I just want it to be over!

I called today and the admissions office said they do not anticipate any movement at all.

Not to be overly optimistic, but I called yesterday afternoon and was told (by the English dude) that there had been a lot of movement this cycle...the most he has seen in 5-6 years.

Does that mean anything for future movement? Beats me.

oh DGSOM admissions, go home you're drunk

Ahhhh this is so confusing! How can one person call and get an answer that they expect no WL movement this year and then another from admissions say they are having the most movement they've ever seen.

I just want it to be over!

A lot of movement (the most our English friend has seen in years) had already taken place, so any more movement from this point on isn't anticipated.

Conundrum averted. But if true, I guess that's gg for us...

"Dearest Feesh,

Your application to the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA is complete and has been acted upon.

The committee on Admissions considers you to be a qualified candidate for medical school. We have thus assigned you to a waiting list without ranking. Candidates from the waiting list may be selected for vacancies in the class if they become available.

In order that all students receive consideration, it is important that you inform us, in writing, at your earliest convenience if you wish to accept a position on the waiting list. For the same reason, it would be most helpful if at a later date you wish to withdraw from the waiting list you would notify us of your decision. Please keep us up to date by submitting any additional credentials which might be important for your record.

xoxo, UCLA"

Kinda confused about how we confirm our spot... no e-mail address mentioned.

If the other letter has words like "hold" and "second priority," that sounds to me like a lower tier waitlist, but who really knows...

Definitely did not get this letter. I got the HOLD for second priority waitlist that's unranked (so they say). Looks like I'll be withdrawing from this waitlist!

Status
Not open for further replies.