2012-2013 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so my status says letter sent on 6/7, but i have yet to receive the letter and I live in los angeles. Do you guys think i should call in and ask my status, or is it too early?

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted.

status change 6/7

frustrated.gif

so my status says letter sent on 6/7, but i have yet to receive the letter and I live in los angeles. Do you guys think i should call in and ask my status, or is it too early?

I did that last year. They told me to wait for my letter.

Not early at all. Call them! lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I was expecting a rejection post-interview... and my status is still blank, so I'm pretty sure that's what it means. I just want them to finalize it so I won't have to think about it anymore!

Reapplicant this year, I haven't received anything in the mail and my status is blank...I wonder if there are more acceptances going out soon or if everything being sent right now is a WL letter or rejection

does ucla have internal ranking or is it truly unranked?

I couldn't seem to get a unified answer on this one.

does ucla have internal ranking or is it truly unranked?

I couldn't seem to get a unified answer on this one.

Yes, I think it is "truly" unranked. There is no formal, internal ranking or list that sets where students are in relation to their peers. However, of course people know who are the cream of the crop, including the administration. There is never an internal ranking that is formal in any way, but your performance (step 1, clinical clerkships, leadership positions and activity at the school, were you a leader in the classroom or in small groups) will be considered in your Dean's letter and in determining if you make AOA or not. You will never be punished relative to your peers for just passing all your preclinical blocks instead of making best in the class. That part does not matter, it won't hurt you. Just scraping by on Step 1 or on your clerkship evals, or being a useless ******* in PBL for two straight years? Different story.

Here is some exciting news about David Geffen SoM if you didn't already know!

scvnews.com/2013/06/11/ucla-school-of-medicine-expanding

Hello All,

So my friend (whose SDN account is not working) called the office today. He asked the woman "do you think there will be any acceptances toward the end of june or early july?" and she said, "we are in the process of re-filling the class, we sent out some alternates, some holds, and we will send out rejections as well" and that "that will happen by the end of this week, or early next week" (phrases we've heard time and again).

She said that everyone should have some sort of status by the end of the week or early next week, although my friend couldn't get any info on whether or not "no status" was particularly dooming or still somewhat hopeful, as it was in last year's thread (students were accepted from both "WL" and "no status" positions). Not surprisingly, she didn't provide any info about the extent to which movement could be expected, often reverting back to the "I'm not in the admissions committee itself, so I can't say for sure" card. However, I feel that there is a chance that a few more acceptances could go out, although I am trying to brace myself with the "chances are slim" mentality.

Hello All,

So my friend (whose SDN account is not working) called the office today. He asked the woman "do you think there will be any acceptances toward the end of june or early july?" and she said, "we are in the process of re-filling the class, we sent out some alternates, some holds, and we will send out rejections as well" and that "that will happen by the end of this week, or early next week" (phrases we've heard time and again).

She said that everyone should have some sort of status by the end of the week or early next week, although my friend couldn't get any info on whether or not "no status" was particularly dooming or still somewhat hopeful, as it was in last year's thread (students were accepted from both "WL" and "no status" positions). Not surprisingly, she didn't provide any info about the extent to which movement could be expected, often reverting back to the "I'm not in the admissions committee itself, so I can't say for sure" card. However, I feel that there is a chance that a few more acceptances could go out, although I am trying to brace myself with the "chances are slim" mentality.

1. Was there any conclusion made regarding the difference between a "Waitlist without rank" and the "Hold" status updates?

2. It might just be semantics, but what is this "re-filling the class" business? I'm assuming she means filling up any seats that may open before orientation?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Was there any conclusion made regarding the difference between a "Waitlist without rank" and the "Hold" status updates?

2. It might just be semantics, but what is this "re-filling the class" business? I'm assuming she means filling up any seats that may open before orientation?

1. My friend said he didn't ask about it since he did not receive a status.

2. He said: "I don't want to be too hopeful or delusional, but I'm hoping 're-filling' means that there are some available spots. It was difficult to ask follow-up or clarification questions because, as I mentioned above, I don't think she wanted to give exact statements because of the 'I'm not directly a part of admissions committee, so I don't know for sure' stance."

I asked the difference, and she said hold is second to the primary waitlist, which according to her already has about 100 people. Not to kill anyone's bubble who is on hold, but she said that everyone on the primary list will be gone through first before even considering those on hold...

Not to kill anyone's bubble who is on hold, but she said that everyone on the primary list will be gone through first before even considering those on hold...

To clarify, does that mean whenever a spot opens up, they'll take a look at everyone on the primary list first.... and then, if they're not satisfied, look at those on hold?

Or, will the primary list need to be depleted before the hold WL is even pulled out? Because this is virtually impossible, unless the plague hits and starts wiping people out (those in the class now, plus 100 on the primary list). In this case, why even have a hold WL?

To clarify, does that mean whenever a spot opens up, they'll take a look at everyone on the primary list first.... and then, if they're not satisfied, look at those on hold?

Or, will the primary list need to be depleted before the hold WL is even pulled out? Because this is virtually impossible, unless the plague hits and starts wiping people out (those in the class now, plus 100 on the primary list). In this case, why even have a hold WL?

I'm not entirely sure either, but in my opinion i felt she meant that the primary list would be depleted before the hold WL is pulled out. Maybe DGSOM is being overly cautious since winter is coming.... :laugh:

I'm not entirely sure either, but in my opinion i felt she meant that the primary list would be depleted before the hold WL is pulled out. Maybe DGSOM is being overly cautious since winter is coming.... :laugh:

Alright, it's over, gg guys.

58420-Good-Game-Good-Game-Good-Game.gif

dam hearing all this is making me nervous for this upcoming application cycle... any of u guys considering reapplying?

So I got a waitlist letter and it says to let them know if we accept the waitlist position, we must let them know in writing. Does that mean we have to write a snail-mail letter or is an email sufficient?

dam hearing all this is making me nervous for this upcoming application cycle... any of u guys considering reapplying?

I'm reapplying as of now and I got a waitlist letter. Don't want to take the chance and not get in then turn in my apps last minute.

So I got a waitlist letter and it says to let them know if we accept the waitlist position, we must let them know in writing. Does that mean we have to write a snail-mail letter or is an email sufficient?

just email the ucladmiss@ address, they should respond

Woohoo! A new week is upon us. Best of luck to everyone!

=P thought you proclaimed GG already...

Haha even though I feel it's pretty much hopeless some part of me holds on

=P thought you proclaimed GG already...

Haha even though I feel it's pretty much hopeless some part of me holds on

LOL :D

And that's exactly how I feel. It's knowing those few threads of hope will snap any day, but still hanging on.

Just called, they haven't touched the waitlist.
The lady told me that waitlist movements will most likely happen in July, and the status page should be updated if you are accepted. They'll call instead when we get close to the school start date.
Best of luck everyone!

still no status update nor snail mail.

did they forget about us? :(

+1. I predict we will be getting rejected when we finally do hear back

Aren't they in the process of refilling the class? Rejections are sure to go out soon, but here's to hoping that more acceptances are out there for us with blank statuses

Aren't they in the process of refilling the class? Rejections are sure to go out soon, but here's to hoping that more acceptances are out there for us with blank statuses

Does anyone know if UCLA has rejected applicants post-interview in the past?

If you look at last years thread it seems a few people got rejected post interview around this time.

My status also changed to decision sent 6/18 but there is no other information:/

my friend also has a "decision sent" status but she thinks it's a rejection because there wasn't an "accepted checklist" or whatever... who knows.

It's finally coming to an end. Where you will you guys be heading if it's a rejection? Maybe I'll see some of you guys for residency.

Hi Everyone--first time poster. I'm also wait listed. I imagine a lot of you are in this predicament: accepted to another school and waiting to hear back from UCLA. My other school starts early, July 18th. Does that mean that on that date I have to forfeit my waitlist spot if I don't hear back from UCLA? AMCAS says we can't be accepted to another school after orientation has begun for the school you are accepted to, but I'm wondering how this has actually translated into the real world in the past? Do students hold on to spots through orientation regardless? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Rejected. Automated email at 3am PST. I am in China, so I get to read it half an hour after they sent it. >_< Best of luck to those still waiting.

It's finally coming to an end. Where you will you guys be heading if it's a rejection? Maybe I'll see some of you guys for residency.
Checked my email this morning. Rejected. Oh well, at least I finally know.

I'll be heading to UCSD. How about you guys?

Checked my email this morning. Rejected. Oh well, at least I finally know.

I'll be heading to UCSD. How about you guys?

So they are emailing people rejection letters?That's interesting. I'm sitting on the dumb waitlist but honestly while I feel bad for those who have been rejected (I'm really sorry), in one sense it is nice to have closure and be done with it right?

So they are emailing people rejection letters?That's interesting. I'm sitting on the dumb waitlist but honestly while I feel bad for those who have been rejected (I'm really sorry), in one sense it is nice to have closure and be done with it right?

Haha, it's alriteee. And yes, you're absolutely right, it's nice to be done with it; my mind's at peace now (granted, not exactly a "desirable" peace, but peace nevertheless). I wish you the best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.