2012-2013 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my letter in the mail today. Will ultimately be withdrawing. I hope my spot goes to a fellow SDNer!
I will also be withdrawing. Best of luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats everyone who got in! See you guys at brew co (ucla undergrads). On another note when I called in mid may they said decisions would probably come out in the last days of may, this looks spot on.

Brew co is closing. Tis a sad day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no acceptances from anything, sitting on a few WLists, wanted DGSOM for so many years, still a chance PLEASEEE

For anybody who is interested, I just called the admissions office to see if I could get a quick update. The British fellow said the class is currently full and they expect to send out any remaining acceptances by the end of the week. Not sure if he meant that those remaining acceptances are what makes the class full.

So I guess I can wait another week before I start acting on other plans. Good luck to everybody else waiting to hear and for anybody only on a wait list.

In 2 days it will officially be 1 year since I submit my AMCAS. I'm ready for this wait to be over and to start enjoying summer.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For anybody who is interested, I just called the admissions office to see if I could get a quick update. The British fellow said the class is currently full and they expect to send out any remaining acceptances by the end of the week. Not sure if he meant that those remaining acceptances are what makes the class full.

Oh man. So this is it? =\

Oh man. So this is it? =\

Well it sounds like there is a small amount of acceptances going out this week, maybe with status updates next Monday, so personally, if I don't hear anything after next week then I'm going to sign a lease somewhere else.

How many total first year students are there at David Geffen?

How many total first year students are there at David Geffen?

do you mean so far or how many total get accepted? I think ~120 seats, and the facebook page has ~80 people, but not sure how many aren't on the facebook page

do you mean so far or how many total get accepted? I think ~120 seats, and the facebook page has ~80 people, but not sure how many aren't on the facebook page

I think there are quite a few who are not on the Facebook group and there might be a few who are in it that are not actually accepted. So, I wouldn't use that number to guide who many spots have been filled.

I think there are quite a few who are not on the Facebook group and there might be a few who are in it that are not actually accepted. So, I wouldn't use that number to guide who many spots have been filled.

thanks I was wondering about that.

I mean the number of students that are not given an acceptance, but how many seats there are in the class total (ie. on August 5th, the first day of school, how many students are there total?). I remember reading that each class has around 145 students, but I wasn't sure if that number was including UCLA/UCR (at the time), UCLA/Drew, and UCLA/Prime.

185-ish. 150 Geffen, 18 or so PRIME, not so sure about UCR this year as they have something else going on and whatnot.

i didn't realize so many seats, aren't the CDU student included in that # too though? that's why I took more out of 150

Hmm, well I know there are 4 Prime-Drew and 24 Drew, so is that 185 including Drew students and Drew-Prime? Or is the number closer to 200 students then?

Hmm, well I know there are 4 Prime-Drew and 24 Drew, so is that 185 including Drew students and Drew-Prime? Or is the number closer to 200 students then?

Sounds right; I don't have the incoming class numbers in front of me. The 185 number is all inclusive, leaving no one out.

Yeah, 185 is all inclusive. I distinctly remember MSAR listing all the programs that add up to make the 185 number, and it was Geffen, Drew, Prime, and the Haider/UCR thing. I'm not sure what is happening with that whole Haider thing because technically the people that made it through that program are entitled to their spots. Unless I guess they were offered spots at UCR?? I don't know, but it would seem for just straight Geffen seats there are around 130 maybe? does this seem right?

thats a huge class!

Everyone is together for the first few weeks, if that. Never seems that big with lectures being optional and so much of it being small groups. Then you're halfway through MS2 and you some mandatory thing where everyone comes back for and you are like who the hell are half these people?!

Also, as alluded to, I have no idea what UCR is doing.

Everyone is together for the first few weeks, if that. Never seems that big with lectures being optional and so much of it being small groups. Then you're halfway through MS2 and you some mandatory thing where everyone comes back for and you are like who the hell are half these people?!

Do you find it beneficial to go to lecture, Pons? Or is it one of those things where you can watch the podcast later if you want, so why bother?

Do you find it beneficial to go to lecture, Pons? Or is it one of those things where you can watch the podcast later if you want, so why bother?

Lectures are really more for the social aspect. There's no educating that happens there that you miss on the podcast. Last half of MS2 I made maybe five lectures.

hahah... you're like.. uh you go here?!?

For those of you in the same boat as me and have not heard ANYTHING: I called admissions today and was told that letters should be mailed out at the end of this week notifying you if you are accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. Online statuses should be updated the day that the letters go out.

Hopefully this will be the week we all get some closure. Good luck!

For those of you in the same boat as me and have not heard ANYTHING: I called admissions today and was told that letters should be mailed out at the end of this week notifying you if you are accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. Online statuses should be updated the day that the letters go out.

362nk1.jpg

Dam that's intense. I'm getting the "5/15 feeling" all over again.

Re UCR... I was pretty much rejected to DGSOM before I even applied, but I know for sure 2017 will be the first UCR class not doing MS3/MS4 at UCLA. All classes before 2017 will still be heading to UCLA though.

Last edited:

$10 says we don't hear this week haha :p . So they basically implied all interviewed applicants will hear something at the end of this week? Any info on how many more acceptances will go out, etc.?

$10 says we don't hear this week haha :p . So they basically implied all interviewed applicants will hear something at the end of this week? Any info on how many more acceptances will go out, etc.?

It's best not to speculate about these things and just let the feels wash over us.

Let it end tomorrow... for better or worse... just let it end

Re UCR... I was pretty much rejected to DGSOM before I even applied, but I know for sure 2017 will be the first UCR class not doing MS3/MS4 at UCLA. All classes before 2017 will still be heading to UCLA though.

Interesting! Thanks, sinombre!

Good luck to all those waiting to hear back!

I can't believe I fell for DGSOM's trolling again.

Last time letters went out, the status updates were on Monday, which is when I'm predicting we'll see status updates. DGSOM never said anything for certain, people have just posted what they heard from people in the admissions office

Last time letters went out, the status updates were on Monday, which is when I'm predicting we'll see status updates. DGSOM never said anything for certain, people have just posted what they heard from people in the admissions office

I guess that's why I'm frustrated.

Youre one of THEM, arent you? Send from admis office to mess with our heads.

To add a bit more to the hearsay from the admission office, when I called I was told that all letters will have been sent by the end of next week and that at this point if you haven't heard back it means wait list or rejection. But who really knows, sometimes I feel like I could rely on a magic 8 ball about as well as the admissions office to communicate what is going on with my application.

Last edited:
To add a bit more to the hearsay from the admission office, when I called I was told that all letters will have been sent by the end of next week and that at this point if you haven't heard back it means wait list or rejection. But who really knows, sometimes I feel like I could rely on a magic 8 ball about as well as the admissions office to communicate what is going on with my application.

When did you call? I called Monday the 3rd. It sounds like the people in admissions don't really know what's going on, and they just kind of tell us whatever they last heard from the committee. Another thing is I don't even understand why admissions has an email address, they will not respond to you, so you HAVE to call and annoy them to handle anything. I just don't understand how such a big school can have absolutely no communication with us. Like literally not a single peep since my interview invite. Other schools will at least let you know what's going on. If the class is full why can't they tell us instead of having us call them to ask?

We better start praying that we made it (or will make it) onto this elite VIP waitlist.

Last edited:
Why not pray we are amongst the last letters being sent instead :)

When did you call? I called Monday the 3rd. It sounds like the people in admissions don't really know what's going on, and they just kind of tell us whatever they last heard from the committee. Another thing is I don't even understand why admissions has an email address, they will not respond to you, so you HAVE to call and annoy them to handle anything. I just don't understand how such a big school can have absolutely no communication with us. Like literally not a single peep since my interview invite. Other schools will at least let you know what's going on. If the class is full why can't they tell us instead of having us call them to ask?

I called yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.