2010-2011 Northwestern University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an interview invitation from Feinberg yesterday! I'm lucky enough to already have been accepted at Pritzker (UChicago) and the University of Washington, so I'm trying to decide whether to do the Feinberg interview. For those of you who have interviewed or been accepted at Feinberg, do you have any advice and can you share what you think makes Feinberg special?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an interview invitation from Feinberg yesterday! I'm lucky enough to already have been accepted at Pritzker (UChicago) and the University of Washington, so I'm trying to decide whether to do the Feinberg interview. For those of you who have interviewed or been accepted at Feinberg, do you have any advice and can you share what you think makes Feinberg special?

I think it's pretty great (not helpful, haha), but it's prolly not great enough to turn down $45K/y from Pritzker, especially considering location is held constant.

Congrats! Could you please share when you were complete and if you sent any form of update letter that could have spurred an invite? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats on the invite! Mind if I ask when you were complete?

(Sorry to be THATGIRL, my 2 sisters are at Northwestern and U Chicago law and it would be so great to have a chance to interview at NU)

Hey there, I've interviewed at both so I can try to compare. As far as location, the two are not equal. UC is in hyde park which is more suburb-ish outside the city where NW is smack dab in the down town- walk one way and you'll hit lake Mich and if you walk the other you'll hit Mich Ave. There's tons going on downtown and students really seemd to take advantage of it at NW. My sample size is pretty small, but the students I met at NW seemed more upbeat and friendly. Some of the interviewees and students sort of rubbed me the wrong way at UC (of course that was just one one particular day). NW has a level 1 trauma hospital as where UC does not (students rotate at the county hospital for that). UC has a required scholarly project as where NW does not.

I thought the schools were pretty different and I definitely recommend visiting to see for yourself.

I've never posted before, but in the interest in passing along information, I was accepted yesterday, first acceptance, and to my 2nd choice school to boot. Interviewed 12/15, invited mid November, complete in early October.

Great news, except that it meant that I was so hyper last night that I didn't get any sleep before my interview at my 1st choice school today. Oh well :laugh:

Great news, except that it meant that I was so hyper last night that I didn't get any sleep before my interview at my 1st choice school today. Oh well :laugh:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I think with all the snow, im not feeling chicago!!! love it during summer though. I would have gone to my interview if it was a lil warmer. Will just cancel :(
Good luck to everyone

so for all the people who interviewed Dec 15 or before and haven't heard - does this mean we're probably deferred?

so for all the people who interviewed Dec 15 or before and haven't heard - does this mean we're probably deferred?

Dean Wallace told us that there were two main acceptance dates: one day in Nov and the other in late Feb/early March. So it sounds like if you haven't heard back, you're probably still being considered for the last round of acceptances. I wouldn't sweat it as you didn't interview all that long ago.

still hanging onto hope for an interview invite. to those who have gotten invites recently, mind posting when you were complete? seems to be running out of time since nu only interviews until feb. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
i called and they're nearly done with handing out interview invites. a few more will go out at the end of this month and that's it.

i called and they're nearly done with handing out interview invites. a few more will go out at the end of this month and that's it.

you are the killer of dreams :laugh:

Hoping for some decisions to come out soon!

Accepted this morning!!! YAY I LOVE CHICAGO!!!! Interviewed Jan 3

accepted today by email : ) interviewed back in December

Fastest turn around time EVER!!! Interviewed a week ago and got accepted yesterday!!!! I'm still in a daze because Dean Wallace send we wouldn't hear back for another 6 weeks!!!

accepted as well the 24th! I had interviewed 2 wks ago. I LOVE northwestern and will be going for sure!

Does anybody know when Northwestern has its second look weekend?

...I haven't even heard back for an interview:confused:

I'm in the same boat. There seem to be many of us waiting.

It remains to be seen how many more invites they have to give and when they last one will be granted.

Does anybody know when Northwestern has its second look weekend?

I emailed them about second look yesterday and got this response:

Thank you for your e-mail. The 2011 Second Look event is set to take place Thursday, April 14th and Friday, April 15th.

In early February, we expect to e-mail accepted students re: Second Look, and on February 18th the Second Look information and sign-up will be available on our secure applicant site, accessible at the following page:
https://medicalapp.northwestern.edu/

Hi guys,

I was accepted to Northwestern back in November, and I think I would completely love the curriculum. The only issue for me is the living situation. Being married, I don't think living downtown close to the school would be an option, and 2 bedroom apartments are so expensive in Chicago. I don't want to have to commute an hour to school every day... anyone know of where to start looking for an apartment/duplex that would be more family friendly and still within reasonable distance to the school?

Hi guys,

I was accepted to Northwestern back in November, and I think I would completely love the curriculum. The only issue for me is the living situation. Being married, I don't think living downtown close to the school would be an option, and 2 bedroom apartments are so expensive in Chicago. I don't want to have to commute an hour to school every day... anyone know of where to start looking for an apartment/duplex that would be more family friendly and still within reasonable distance to the school?

Look at neighborhoods like Lakeview or Lincoln Park. They are probably about 15-30 mins. away on one of the express buses.

Fastest turn around time EVER!!! Interviewed a week ago and got accepted yesterday!!!! I'm still in a daze because Dean Wallace send we wouldn't hear back for another 6 weeks!!!

When last week did you interview? I was there last Friday <fingers crossed for hearing back soon>

NW's admissions process seems pretty strange. First they tell us that everyone will hear back on a handful of particular days and then they go and hand out acceptances like a normal "rolling admissions" school does. Anyone have any insight? :confused:

NW's admissions process seems pretty strange. First they tell us that everyone will hear back on a handful of particular days and then they go and hand out acceptances like a normal "rolling admissions" school does. Anyone have any insight? :confused:

They have this odd tendency to say one thing and then do another.:confused: Dean Wallace told my group back in December that we would hear back mid-January (i.e. six weeks later) but I heard back 3 weeks later that I got deffered until March :( I guess we should go by what they do not by what they say.

For all of those who also got deffered, does this essentially mean a waitlist? That's how I'm choosing to interpret it.

Has anyone complete mid-October or later received an interview invite?

Also if we have yet to receive an interview, has it reached the point of no hope?

Also if we have yet to receive an interview, has it reached the point of no hope?

I was complete late October but haven't heard anything yet. Hoping it's not over yet! :oops:

They have this odd tendency to say one thing and then do another.:confused: Dean Wallace told my group back in December that we would hear back mid-January (i.e. six weeks later) but I heard back 3 weeks later that I got deffered until March :( I guess we should go by what they do not by what they say.

For all of those who also got deffered, does this essentially mean a waitlist? That's how I'm choosing to interpret it.

from my understanding, if you get deferred when they re-review you in march they can choose to either accept you at that point, reject you, or waitlist you. So it's not a true waitlist. I think a lot of people get in after being deferred (I think they initially may accept only like 30% of interviewees or something and then accept the rest after a deferral, but I may be wrong)
Good luck!

complete mid november and not a word. we are in the same (slowly sinking) boat.

They are still conducting interviews this month so don't lose hope yet! I had to wait almost 2 months before getting an invite.

Has anyone created a Feinberg Class of 2015 fb group yet btw?

They are still conducting interviews this month so don't lose hope yet! I had to wait almost 2 months before getting an invite.

Thanks for the info!!! I still have hope. Do you mind me asking when you got your invite? and how you know they are still offering invites into Feb?

I was complete like the first couple days of August and received my interview invite late October. And during the interview day I think they stated they continue interviews through February and give out a majority of their decisions in March. Good luck!

I was complete like the first couple days of August and received my interview invite late October. And during the interview day I think they stated they continue interviews through February and give out a majority of their decisions in March. Good luck!

THANKS! Congrats to you!

Just as a heads up, I interviewed recently and we were told the last interview day is February 11th.

:luck: all!

EDIT: They told us they're interviewing through the week of February 7th, so I extrapolated that they'll end on February 11th.

Last edited:
Just as a heads up, I interviewed recently and we were told the last interview day is February 11th.

:luck: all!

EDIT: They told us they're interviewing through the week of February 7th, so I extrapolated that they'll end on February 11th.

yikes. i guess that's it, then.

I know it's been said before that a hold is not yet a waitlist, but does anyone know what percentage of those on post-interview hold are typically accepted? Are the odds still good or is it more like a nicer way of delaying the inevitable waitlist? :confused:

Interviewed late January and was just accepted. I'm in awe. Quickest turnaround ever! I wasn't expecting anything until mid-February/March.

Go Northwestern! :luck: to all!

Just got my acceptance! Interviewed in late January :) I'm soooo excited!!!!!!!

For those accepted, did any of you interview Jan 28th?

Interviewed on 1/10 and ACCEPTED!!!

I love this school! :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.