2010-2011 Northwestern University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted! Interviewed 10/30.

33S, 3.64

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed on 10/27 and just got the decision deferred til March status yesterday (11/23). Wasn't overly excited about the school when I was there and it may have shown in my one-on-one interview. Thought the panel went great.

Interviewed Nov. 3rd, accepted Nov. 23!
I also thought I screwed up my panel interview.
Stats for anyone that's interested: 3.98 cGPA/sGPA, 37R

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone post the link to check our decisions? (My bookmarks got deleted)

Hey guys! Quick question about the secondary.
Did Northwestern secondary require a photo upload?

so for people getting deferred until march, do they still accept a good number of those people? or is it a likely rejection?

Hey guys/girls does anyone know if research is very important for an application to NW?

On a numbers and EC side of things I don't see much of a problem, but I have 0 substantial research. I would be applying out-of-country from Canada.

Thanks a lot and good luck to everyone waiting on decisions!

Hey guys! Quick question about the secondary.
Did Northwestern secondary require a photo upload?

Yes; I think it's mainly so they can confirm that the person submitting the app is the same person who interviews.

Hey guys/girls does anyone know if research is very important for an application to NW?

On a numbers and EC side of things I don't see much of a problem, but I have 0 substantial research. I would be applying out-of-country from Canada.

Thanks a lot and good luck to everyone waiting on decisions!

I believe NW highly values research, so it's definitely important, but it is not "required". However, "96 percent [of last year's class] engaged in research on the undergraduate or graduate level" (taken from their website), so it might put you at a slight disadvantage. If you have substantial extracurriculars/other things that make you stand out, you should still be ok!

To those who haven't heard anything back yet- hang in there!

Invite this morning (5:30am) for January! Complete beginning of August.
same what date did you pick? you my interview buddy maybe we should interview together though im still thinkin about it.

same what date did you pick? you my interview buddy maybe we should interview together though im still thinkin about it.

I picked the 10th because I'm pretty sure I'll be at a bowl game the week before. :D If you have the funds, you should definitely go! I've only heard good things about the school and it can only be good to have more options come May.

I picked the 10th because I'm pretty sure I'll be at a bowl game the week before. :D If you have the funds, you should definitely go! I've only heard good things about the school and it can only be good to have more options come May.
my earliest choice was 16th. Yea I heard good things about them and didnt have to pay for the secondary :) they waived it after i got the recruitment letter. So i guess i can use the money now!!! any idea of a potential student hosting program?

Members don't see this ad :)
my earliest choice was 16th. Yea I heard good things about them and didnt have to pay for the secondary :) they waived it after i got the recruitment letter. So i guess i can use the money now!!! any idea of a potential student hosting program?

There is a spreadsheet that you can access from your status page, look up interview details or something along those lines...I stayed with a student host for my interview yesterday and it worked out super well!

I heart Northwestern even more after interviewing there!! Yay!

There is a spreadsheet that you can access from your status page, look up interview details or something along those lines...I stayed with a student host for my interview yesterday and it worked out super well!

great thanks!!!! Makes it better!!! Im afraid to love this school. Im semi committed to my first acceptance and I feel like im cheating on it going to other schools and im more scared of having to make DIFFICULT choices if im lucky enough to get accepted here. but its EUSTRESS so here I come Northwestern!!!!

Does Northwestern accept pre-interview update letters?
Posted via Mobile Device

does anyone know what the chances are of being accepted after being deferred until march..?

If I was complete the first possible day and have heard nothing, is it pretty much over at this point? :(

I love this school so much I haven't dared looking at this thread because it'll just make me sad! Haha but congrats to everyone.

If I was complete the first possible day and have heard nothing, is it pretty much over at this point? :(

I love this school so much I haven't dared looking at this thread because it'll just make me sad! Haha but congrats to everyone.
I was wondering the same thing:(

I got three separate letters asking me to apply, too. I feel a little cheated:(

does anyone know what the chances are of being accepted after being deferred until march..?

Hi Dancer,

I don't usually post, but since no one is giving you a reply, I'll let you know what I know. I interviewed there in early October and was placed on hold. I went to NU undergrad, and know plenty of people there. Apparently, lots of people get in through the hold list. It's not the typical waitlist in which 2 or 3 people get off of it. However, I have heard that NU frequently lets people in during the summer, which is really annoying. One of my friends got in that way and had to change all his plans.

Anyway, there's still hope, and I say that not in the sense that I'm solely trying to reassure you. There's still a good chance.

Hi Dancer,

I don't usually post, but since no one is giving you a reply, I'll let you know what I know. I interviewed there in early October and was placed on hold. I went to NU undergrad, and know plenty of people there. Apparently, lots of people get in through the hold list. It's not the typical waitlist in which 2 or 3 people get off of it. However, I have heard that NU frequently lets people in during the summer, which is really annoying. One of my friends got in that way and had to change all his plans.

Anyway, there's still hope, and I say that not in the sense that I'm solely trying to reassure you. There's still a good chance.

thanks!! still hope :) hahah

Interview invite today!! Complete 11/30...super pumped for northwestern

To those who have been waiting since complete status for an interview, don't fret! I was complete in August and I just received an interview invite by email last week. :luck:

To those who have been waiting since complete status for an interview, don't fret! I was complete in August and I just received an interview invite by email last week. :luck:

Thank you for the encouragement!! Did you send in any updates/interest letters?

hey guys, my PI here at feinberg told me last week that he still has tons and tons of apps to screen for interviews. sometimes he gets busy with grant applications for our lab, etc. so the people's apps he is supposed to review sit on his desk for awhile before he can get to them. its interesting to talk to him and other ad com members here about this process to see it from their end. good luck everybody! im a little sad to be leaving northwestern this summer, its a really great place!

Thanks nvk89! I interviewed on 11/17 and just got the "deferred until March" e-mail too. Guess we just have to wait until then...

Hi Dancer,

Thank you for the encouragement!! Did you send in any updates/interest letters?

I didn't send in any updates - I was unsure about Northwestern's policy with regards to updates so I played it safe.

I sent a letter of interest (email to be more exact) and ended up getting an invite to interview... so I guess there was no harm done

I sent a letter of interest (email to be more exact) and ended up getting an invite to interview... so I guess there was no harm done

Wow congrats! When did you send the letter? And was it just to the general email address?

Interview invite today!
Complete 10/28. I wish I could have scheduled it around the same time as Pritzker but it looks like I'll be making a second trip to Chicago! :)

I've been complete since August and have not received any correspondence.

Does NU send out any rejections before the end of the interview season?

Thanks!

I emailed the dean of admissions directly on Nov 4th, he replied the 5th acknowledging receipt of email and I received interview invite Nov 22.

Good luck ! :)

I emailed the dean of admissions directly on Nov 4th, he replied the 5th acknowledging receipt of email and I received interview invite Nov 22.

Good luck ! :)

Wow that's amazing! But they probably were going to invite you anyway haha. I emailed the admissions main address and got acknowledgment it was received, I really hope it works some magic :xf:

I've been complete since August and have not received any correspondence.

Does NU send out any rejections before the end of the interview season?

Thanks!

Same, complete since mid-August and no word yet. Northwestern has always been my dream school, and now a reach school for me, but I would love to have the opportunity to interview there.

From what I understand they don't send out rejections but keep files open for a potential invitation throughout the season and if you're not invited then its like a silent rejection. Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also accepted today! So happy!

Interviewed November 29th

Looking forward to second look :)

Congrats to all who heard today that they got in! I'm really bummed because I interviewed late nov. and was put on the hold list :( so frustrating because i already have another acceptance, but would seriously consider NU if I got in.

Does anyone know if they actually wait until March to let you know? is it possible they'll let you know earlier?

is it worth sending an update to them, letting them know I'm really interested?

Hey everyone,

Happy New Year! Congratulations to all of you that got awesome news, and to those like me who are still waiting for a response, :xf::luck::xf:! I've been complete since around September and am really, really hoping this new year will bring some good news for us!

hi everyone! happy new year! :) first post for me... does anyone know when northwestern interviews until?

hi everyone! happy new year! :) first post for me... does anyone know when northwestern interviews until?
I believe they interview until the end of February. From what I read on last year's thread if you have not received an interview invite by the end of January the chances of getting one become very very slim.

Has anyone out there with or without an interview ever called to check the status of your application?

Has anyone out there with or without an interview ever called to check the status of your application?

I sent the admissions office an in-the-area email pre-interview, and in their reply they said "no decision has yet been made on your application."

Does anyone know when decisions are coming out? I interviewed in mid-December and I remember a date in Jan. being mentioned, but I can't remember what it was exactly.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if NW sends out pre-interview rejections? I've been complete since September and haven't heard anything.

Does anyone know when decisions are coming out? I interviewed in mid-December and I remember a date in Jan. being mentioned, but I can't remember what it was exactly.

Woohoo! Just accepted by e-mail today! I interviewed Dec. 15th, and they told us some time in February, so this was unexpected! Good luck everyone!

Congrats! Anyone have any idea which weekend of April 2nd look weekend is? A NU student called me last Friday (I think they call all accepted students) but I forgot to ask.

anyone else who interviewed in the first 2 weeks of December hear yet? I also interviewed December 15 and no word... Either that means a hold or they haven't updated all of our statuses yet. I'm hoping for the latter.

I also interviewed 12/15. Haven't heard anything yet

I interviewed Dec 8th and I haven't heard anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.