2009-2010 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just called to check my status. She verified the address and told me that I'll hear back in a week. I asked her if I've been waitlisted, she wasn't allowed to tell me over the phone, but it was obvious that I was. It's sort of early, they told us (Jan. 8th) that we wouldn't hear until 6-8 weeks have passed.

Good luck to you guys still waiting to hear back. I really liked Vanderbilt and I have no clue why I got rejected. I had such a good interview and interviewer.

Anyway, there isn't much that I can do right now. She said people do get invited from the waitlist, which is not surprising, there has to be some movement; no school will over accept people to the exact ratio of students that will matriculate. The logic of some pre-med here that base their opinion on such a small sample size of SDN is foolish, what's even more naive is that they expect no movement from any waitlist, there has to be, at every school. With that said, I'm not optimistic that I'll get off the waitlist and I'm not getting my hopes up.

It has been a nice wait with a not-so-nice finale. Good luck all.

Gosh I feel the exact same way. I thought my interview went so well too, but you never know with these things. Still, at this point we don't know if its WL for sure (though it seems more likely than an acceptance at this point). Even if it is, it is not a rejection, and we still could get an offer.

Hang in there!

Members don't see this ad.

So I decided to call again and speak to someone else for clarification. This time I was told I would hear something in 2 weeks (not 1 week as I was told previously). I asked if I had been waitlisted and she said she couldn't tell me a final decision over the phone. I also asked if a decision has been made on my application at this time and she said no, followed by, I would hear a decision in 2 weeks which could be an acceptance phone call or a waitlist letter. In any case 2 weeks from now would put us into the 6-8 week window which was what we were expecting from our interview day. So I'm gonna leave it at that and wait this out. But I'm not going to count myself out just yet.

Cautious optimism I suppose.

Gosh I feel the exact same way. I thought my interview went so well too, but you never know with these things. Still, at this point we don't know if its WL for sure (though it seems more likely than an acceptance at this point). Even if it is, it is not a rejection, and we still could get an offer.

Hang in there!
X3. I thought I had a very good interview and had left a good impression to the interviewer. Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, i interviewed Dec. 17th and got the call from Dean Zic on February 14th. It took exactly 8 weeks. figured that they're probably going through mid december interviewees now and thought i'd share in case people are wondering.

good luck to you all, and hang in there for those still waiting or anxious. we're almost through. :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone, i interviewed Dec. 17th and got the call from Dean Zic on February 14th. It took exactly 8 weeks. figured that they're probably going through mid december interviewees now and thought i'd share in case people are wondering.

good luck to you all, and hang in there for those still waiting or anxious. we're almost through. :)

Congrats!! I got the call on February 14th as well. My interview was on Jan 7th. I too was told by Dr. Sagen to not expect anything until March so it was very surprising! Vandy is definitely my first choice!!

congrats to you too! looking forward to meeting you at revisit :)

is it bad if you can't go to 2nd look... or in my case, can only go to the Saturday portion?

What day do the phone calls usually go out on? I thought it was Sunday but not sure where I go that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do backflips if I got a call telling me I'm off the waitlist. Probably not going to happen, but I guess that's okay since I can't do a backflip anyway.

Anyone know when the next batch/committee meeting is for the next round of acceptances? In two weeks time?

Interviewed 1/12/2010.....waitlisted yesterday...weak...such is life.

is it bad if you can't go to 2nd look... or in my case, can only go to the Saturday portion?

Same here! I'll be on my way back from Mexico on the 19th and was supposed to be leaving for a conference on the 20th. I've changed my plans to be there for most of Saturday. They said it was up to me, so I'm sure you'll be fine.:thumbup:

This is quite possibly the worst website ever founded. It drives me crazy. Interviewed Jan 15th. Haven't heard anything yet but I was amazed by Vanderbilt. Definitely my favorite. But also my longest reach.

wait calls only go out every sunday? never during the week?

calls appear to be on random days...sometimes Sundays, sometimes Fridays, sometimes Tuesdays. kind of hard to predict. so just when someone posts that they got a call you know they're out for the next batch.

calls appear to be on random days...sometimes Sundays, sometimes Fridays, sometimes Tuesdays. kind of hard to predict. so just when someone posts that they got a call you know they're out for the next batch.

That's so confusing!

this is TORTURE...how cool would it be if you could LIKE my post like FACEBOOK

The last post said it best, this feels like torture. I still have not heard anything and to complicate things further I am an international applicant so I am not even sure if I should have heard anything yet.

The last post said it best, this feels like torture. I still have not heard anything and to complicate things further I am an international applicant so I am not even sure if I should have heard anything yet.

If it helps at all, I'm also an international student and I heard the same time as everyone else I interviewed with (granted, I didn't keep track of everyone from my interview date, but I got the call before someone who interviewed with me got the waitlist letter).

I got the call on a monday btw, for everyone still agonizing. It could definitely come at an unexpected time! :xf:Now... only if Vandy is willing to throw some munnies at me :cool:

yo do people know if you're notified of scholarship awards in the phone call....i am bit amazed (i know vandys generous) that vandy offers 33% of its acceptees FULL scholarships (according to MSAR)

yo do you think with construction of a 6th hospital, VANDY will finally crack the top 10?

CHECK out this OLD article LOL: http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/reporter/index.html?ID=2041

Ha that was kinda funny to read for a student, actually. Dean Gabbe has retired and one of our advisory colleges is named after him. Dr. Balser, who he says "rose through the ranks" to become chair of anesthesia, now has his job. Mostly I think the article is sort of amusing because it underscores how the reasons why schools go up in USNews rankings are totally irrelevant to med students. "Number of endowed chairs" and "millions in NIH grants" really won't make a difference to you on a daily basis. On the other hand, I was glad to see that we had (have?) such great academic departments (molecular physiology, anatomy). Especially anatomy. Our anatomy professor is arguably one of the most well-renowned in the world. He wrote half the books and edited the other half. He's also an incredibly nice guy.

yo do people know if you're notified of scholarship awards in the phone call....i am bit amazed (i know vandys generous) that vandy offers 33% of its acceptees FULL scholarships (according to MSAR)

I believe for the most part the scholarships are announced later, meaning you'll get a second phone call if you get it. Good luck!

Just got the wait list letter today:(
I really liked Vandy. Oh well. Good luck to everyone else.

Ha that was kinda funny to read for a student, actually. Dean Gabbe has retired and one of our advisory colleges is named after him. Dr. Balser, who he says "rose through the ranks" to become chair of anesthesia, now has his job. Mostly I think the article is sort of amusing because it underscores how the reasons why schools go up in USNews rankings are totally irrelevant to med students. "Number of endowed chairs" and "millions in NIH grants" really won't make a difference to you on a daily basis. On the other hand, I was glad to see that we had (have?) such great academic departments (molecular physiology, anatomy). Especially anatomy. Our anatomy professor is arguably one of the most well-renowned in the world. He wrote half the books and edited the other half. He's also an incredibly nice guy.

I believe for the most part the scholarships are announced later, meaning you'll get a second phone call if you get it. Good luck!

I never got a phone call about the scholarship... just a letter that come in the mail along with the acceptance!

I was in the group of people who got the call from Dr. Zic on 2/14. I was out of town when he called. I got back home and picked up my mail at the post office and see a letter from Vanderbilt, thinking it is my acceptance letter. I opened it up and it was a waitlist letter dated less than a week earlier. I called the admissions office and they said that my file must have been reviewed again and that I had been accepted. A couple days later my acceptance letter came. Crazy stuff. So I guess the moral of the story is that they really do take a look at the waitlists on a frequent basis.

I got the dreaded waitlist letter today too. I interviewed on 1/15 and was actually hoping to get in.

However, I will say that I had the worst interview experience by far at Vandy compared to any of the other schools I've interviewed at. For the first 10 minutes of my interview, my interviewer was typing an email as I tried to have some type of small talk going. Then throughout the interview, she would constantly answer her phone every time it rang (which was often) and interrupt me as I was answering a question. And it was painfully obvious that she did not care about the interview and had barely read my application (if at all) and was just going through a set list of extremely generic questions. So I'm not very surprised with the outcome.

The good thing is that I at least have other options, although I did really like the feel I got from the other parts of the Vandy experience. Anyway, good luck to everyone else who is still hoping to hear back (it's better to be waiting than to know your on the WL).

Last edited:
dude that sucks big time....reallly sorry; ur mcat score is unreal but at least you got michigan.....

In general guys, is it the NORM for you to get accepted before (several days in advance) others get waitlisted assuming everyone interviewed on the same day?

If so, im sad.

dude that sucks big time....reallly sorry; ur mcat score is unreal but at least you got michigan.....

In general guys, is it the NORM for you to get accepted before (several days in advance) others get waitlisted assuming everyone interviewed on the same day?

If so, im sad.

That's been the trend, mostly because phone calls are instantaneous and snail mail takes a couple of days. The decisions are probably all made at the same time, but the acceptees know first.

that sucks I guess...i mean with second visit weekend coming up, Im sure they are wrapping up their initial accepteees. I basically want my W/L already as pessimistic as that sounds so I can just move on

Status
Not open for further replies.