2009-2010 University of Illinois (UIC) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just accepted my UIC spot, post-switch to Chicago campus!

Super excited!! Gonna start looking for apartment options in the south loop area, I think.

Members don't see this ad.

So where is everyone living? someone said south loop...i'm OOS so i'm not sure what parts of chicago are safe and/or convenient to the campus. any input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
So where is everyone living? someone said south loop...i'm OOS so i'm not sure what parts of chicago are safe and/or convenient to the campus. any input would be appreciated!

hey sweetpea, i was actually born in UIC area and have lived there all my life...i can personally attest to how far (and how much safer) the area has become in recent years. riding the bus to high school everyday on halsted i saw them tear everything down and rebuild it. its actually becoming one of the more desirable areas to live in for families.

the area just east of the medical center is actually pretty nice. a bit of a campustown feel and i have some friends who go to uic and rush who live there right now and like it. south loop is fine, but there's a few things you need to know...depending on where in the southloop you pick...it could be really nice...or really crappy. there are a bunch of renovated places on craigslist ive seen that are nice on the inside..but the area they are in is not so great...and that they dont happen to mention. Also remember that the closer to downtown you get the more expensive its going to be. If you go any further north than that, the morning commute might become a problem.

I dont think the uic area is that dangerous...but that being said...it IS a big city...just be smart and wherever you live you should be fine.

i myself am going to live at home for a year in bridgeport which is 5 minutes driving and 15 minutes public transportation from uic. ive lived in my neighborhood all my life and i love it. it is not glamorous by any means, but its safe (new police station just built there), there's easy access to public trans, and comiskey park is right there if you ever feel like a baseball game.

hope this helps a bit, PM me if you have any specific questions about any other areas...or just to chat seeing as we are going to be seeing a lot of each other the next 4 years haha

also, hi secretlife and Redno5, look forward to meeting you guys

and to mybubbles14, i hope your interview went awesome today

I quasi having everything ready. I'm supposed to meet up with the person when I get there to get the keys. Where are you coming from? I'm from Cali (San Francisco)

Sounds good. Well, I'm actually not coming from that far. I'm from Chicago and sadly I was sent to Champaign but I decided not to fight it.

I currently live in the south loop and I personally really like the area. I wouldn't really look any further south past 22nd street though. I live on 16th currently and there are buses on Michigan and the closest L stop is on 12th. It's a great area, but if you're looking around here you will likely have to sublet from a condo owner. There are a couple of rental buildings around 12th and Michigan that I know of off of the top of my head. They've really done a lot with the area in the past 5 years since we've moved here. I used to be a little uneasy to walk my dog late at night but now you see people out at all times walking their dogs and it's really a nice area (albeit expensive). I'm looking in the west loop to live right now. The apartment I'm probably about to put money down at is only a 10 min ride on the train and is 2 blocks from the pink line which is really nice (the pink line goes to campus along with the blue line).

Whatever you do...just make sure you check out the area first before you put any money down. I made that mistake the last time I rented out of state without knowing the area.

I'm also about 3 blocks from the police station which is nice (and the mayor lives down the street so he keeps the area pretty safe).

Thanks for the well wishes on the interview SXL I hope it went well! I really liked the group that I interviewed with and hope to join you all in the program next year!

Last edited:
thanks, mybubbles! when do you hear back about UMed? hope you'll be joining us! :xf:

Well, I officially give up on my petition (family related medical reasons). It's not gonna happen for me. I need to choose between two schools by 5pm monday, and I doubt I'll be granted it on monday morning. It was my hail-mary from the very start to be granted chicago. After talking to a number of people about the urbana-rockford path, I've decided it's not for me. So, I'm gonna get my withdrawal for UIC ready for monday afternoon.

It's been an insane ride, with some of us with "Decision pending" for months, and some of you are. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Take care.

thanks, mybubbles! when do you hear back about UMed? hope you'll be joining us! :xf:

Dr. Girotti said we'd hear by Friday at the latest. I hope so too!

Sorry to hear about that herewego. I'd call the office or whoever is in charge of that on Monday just to double check and tell them your circumstance about having to decide. It can't hurt especially if you plan on withdrawing sans Chicago placement anyways. Good luck to you with wherever you end up though! :)

Sorry to hear about that herewego. I'd call the office or whoever is in charge of that on Monday just to double check and tell them your circumstance about having to decide. It can't hurt especially if you plan on withdrawing sans Chicago placement anyways. Good luck to you with wherever you end up though! :)

Yea, that's what I plan on doing. I have to contact them directly anyway, might as well ask monday morning ish.

That's pretty amazing you got placed in Chicago, sorry to hear you had to turn it down, but I'm sure you'll do well at another school, just the same, good luck! I'm really surprised that you got Chicago in April, though? I thought it was first accepted, first choice though? Did you have any extenuating circumstances? If you don't mind me asking (I'm on the petition route right now) Thanks in advance

by the time i got accepted to uic i had already been accepted to rush, so i had signed a lease in chicago. so on my placement card i wrote "i have already signed a lease in chicago." and they placed me there.

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of you who are very familiar with the UIC area, what do you think of two different areas:

-the 1000 block of W. Polk street?

-the area around Oakley Blvd and Taylor? (I think this one may be a little sketch...)

Arg! so hard to find a place without seeing it first :(

has any one who was "decision pending" received any updates....the third thursday has come and gone...this is too much...i would have thought they would have a good idea by now who really wants to come to UICOM and who doesnt....ughhhh....:confused:

for those of you who are very familiar with the UIC area, what do you think of two different areas:

-the area around Oakley Blvd and Taylor? (I think this one may be a little sketch...)

1000 w. Polk puts you at the edge of the east campus. There are several buses which will take you between the campuses.

Oakley and Taylor is an "interesting" area. The area physically looks okay. Bacci's is nearby. Going west though, the area goes bad fast.

The area in between the campuses is fine and so is University Village. A number of students live north of UIC in Bucktown/Wicker Park. It is an easy trip on the Blue Line or Damen/Ashland buses.

Commuting from the South Loop is not always a good idea. The Roosevelt bus is slow and packed, in my experience.

Anything North of 12th street should be pretty decent depending how far west you go. I think 1000 and polk would be a pretty close/good spot. In general I would try to stay northeast of 18th street and Ashland. The school's "main" address is around 18th and polk so imagine how close 1000 (10th) and polk would be. I'd try google mapping most places first to see what the area looks like outside of the apartment. Chicago is EXTREMELY patchy in general. In other words, the physical street might be nice but you might not want to walk around at night 3 blocks over. Many areas are like this including the south loop where I live, which is starting to be a very expensive area. I feel perfectly fine in like a 4 block radius of my house but I am still about 5 minutes driving from a couple projects and section 8 housing so you just have to be careful.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask about locations. I live downtown and just put a deposit down in the west loop by the river. I'm sure there are a couple people that know the downtown and UIC area well enough to help you out.

Good luck! Trust me it's stressful for us that are even already in the city and know the city well.

ARGGH. STILL "decision pending"---anyone else that interviewed late get a response back yet? I wish I would have applied earlier LOL. How much longer will we have to wait?!

You mean Friday the 28th?.. Sorry I'm out of country and my time zone settings are different on this so I can't really tell when you posted this..

You mean Friday the 28th?.. Sorry I'm out of country and my time zone settings are different on this so I can't really tell when you posted this..

Yeah we should hear back about UMED friday the 28th for those of us who interviewed last Friday the 21st at least.

Hey everyone! For those of you who are no longer in school, where did you get your titers done? For some reason I'm having a hard time finding a place to get it done except at a University and I'm not in school anymore.

Hey everyone! For those of you who are no longer in school, where did you get your titers done? For some reason I'm having a hard time finding a place to get it done except at a University and I'm not in school anymore.

I went to the urgent care down the street from me to get my TB. The doctor there wrote me a prescription to get my titer for chicken pox. He said I could get it done anywhere really like the hospital or a specific diagnostic lab like quest diagnostics. I believe the last time I had to get titers done I went to quest.

Anything North of 12th street should be pretty decent depending how far west you go. I think 1000 and polk would be a pretty close/good spot. In general I would try to stay northeast of 18th street and Ashland. The school's "main" address is around 18th and polk so imagine how close 1000 (10th) and polk would be. I'd try google mapping most places first to see what the area looks like outside of the apartment. Chicago is EXTREMELY patchy in general. In other words, the physical street might be nice but you might not want to walk around at night 3 blocks over. Many areas are like this including the south loop where I live, which is starting to be a very expensive area. I feel perfectly fine in like a 4 block radius of my house but I am still about 5 minutes driving from a couple projects and section 8 housing so you just have to be careful.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask about locations. I live downtown and just put a deposit down in the west loop by the river. I'm sure there are a couple people that know the downtown and UIC area well enough to help you out.

Good luck! Trust me it's stressful for us that are even already in the city and know the city well.

Um, 12th was renamed a long time ago to Roosevelt. 1000 W = Morgan St and is thus right near east campus. The main entrance of the College of Medicine is at the corner of Wolcott and Polk. 18th and Polk never meet because they are parallel.

Um, 12th was renamed a long time ago to Roosevelt. 1000 W = Morgan St and is thus right near east campus. The main entrance of the College of Medicine is at the corner of Wolcott and Polk. 18th and Polk never meet because they are parallel.

:rolleyes:

Um was that necessary? I know what the name of the street is as I live right by it. Maybe I was trying to help someone out that doesn't live in Chicago by giving them more of a reference than just saying Roosevelt so they could have more of an idea of how close/far something is. I was wrong about the 18th, thanks for correcting me on that. I am forever grateful.

Hey, anyone that is going to Chicago campus, have you received any information at all about when we start, classes, etc? I got my site placement letter and have heard nothing since then. I was originally placed at Urbana-Peoria, and someone sent me an email telling me all about orientation dates, class scedule, etc. My placement was changed only a week ago, but I thought I would have received a similar email from Chicago by now...

Hey, anyone that is going to Chicago campus, have you received any information at all about when we start, classes, etc? I got my site placement letter and have heard nothing since then. I was originally placed at Urbana-Peoria, and someone sent me an email telling me all about orientation dates, class scedule, etc. My placement was changed only a week ago, but I thought I would have received a similar email from Chicago by now...

I haven't heard anything either, and I was placed in Chicago from the start. I'm sure they'll be sending us something in June?

Just got an email from Linda Singleton about activating UNIs, in the message it said Orientation is Aug 10-12 and White Coat Ceremony is Aug 14.

WOO!

Yeah you haven't missed much at all. Classes in Chicago start on August 16th.

Just got an email from Linda Singleton about activating UNIs, in the message it said Orientation is Aug 10-12 and White Coat Ceremony is Aug 14.

WOO!

LOL, i activated mine on my own earlier ;)
Looks like we'll get more info through Blackboard on June 7th. Woot!!

Patchy is a really great adjective. I've found islands of beautiful rental property surrounded by boarded up housing. Also, mybubbles, we crossed paths! I was at the 2nd UMed interview as well. Friday won't come soon enough! :p

The area around around campus is as safe as most other areas of Chicago and no particular street off Taylor is a more shady area than the next. That being said, I'm on the UIC Crime Alert listserv and its hampering my ability to look at the Tri-Taylor area objectively. For example, today's crime alert message was near a property I was looking at. Its one of the more intense alerts than the more often heard 'grab your backpack and run' crimes. I've pasted the alert below:

On May 24, before 11:30 p.m., two female UIC students were victims of an attempted armed robbery off-campus in the 1300 block of West Lexington.

The victims stated that five male subjects had walked past them when one offender doubled back from behind. He grabbed one victim's book bag as the other victim fled. The first victim clung to her pack, and the offender produced a handgun and pointed it at her face. When the victim screamed, the offender fled the scene without the pack. Both victims returned to their apartment and, because they were distressed, delayed reporting this incident for over 15 minutes. They did not suffer physical injury.

***UIC Police strongly recommend COMPLYING with an armed offender whose intent appears to be property or valuables. UIC Police also recommend REPORTING CRIME PROMPTLY to police.***

Other security tips:

--be aware of your surroundings
--try to travel in groups when possible, particularly after dark
--use well-lit walkways
--on campus, look for the location of the nearest emergency call box (there are more than 1,500 across campus)
--the emergency number for UIC Police is 5-5555 or 312-355-5555, which should be set on speed-dial on your cell phone

The main offender was described as a black male in his 20's, 5-11, 160 pounds, of medium complexion, with black hair. He was wearing a gray hoodie and in possession of a black semi-automatic handgun. His cohorts were described as two to five black males, all in their 20's.

The crime will be investigated by UIC Police/CPD Joint Robbery Task Force. Anyone with information is asked to call UIC Police at (312) 996-2830.

Last edited:
Yeah you haven't missed much at all. Classes in Chicago start on August 16th.

Is this different from classes for those on the Urbana-Peoria track? I wouldn't think so, just logically, but for some reason I recall reading that our (UP) orientation starts on August 16th or 17th?

Anyone from UP got an idea?

Hey guys, just want to let everyone who is waiting for site change requests that they are still granting requests. I just got switched to Chicago from U/P. Good luck to all those who are waiting.

Is this different from classes for those on the Urbana-Peoria track? I wouldn't think so, just logically, but for some reason I recall reading that our (UP) orientation starts on August 16th or 17th?

Anyone from UP got an idea?

Urbana starts later and has a different calender. I want to say they have a true spring break too :( I have a friend in the md/phd program down there.

Urbana starts later and has a different calender. I want to say they have a true spring break too :( I have a friend in the md/phd program down there.
Urbana's orientation starts Aug. 17, and first day of classes is Aug 23. Also, we DO get a Spring Break :)

Hey, I figured all you applicants from the 2009-2010 cycle could help me out with this question. So I am thinking about applying to UIC this cycle and I was looking at the website to check out prerequisites etc and saw the three class behavioral/social sciences requirement. Apart from psychology, anthropology, sociology, what other classes will they include in this designation? Are they pretty lenient in this category? I am not sure if I have fulfilled this requirement and if they will just trash my app if I apply without three behavioral/social sciences.
Thanks!

Hey, I figured all you applicants from the 2009-2010 cycle could help me out with this question. So I am thinking about applying to UIC this cycle and I was looking at the website to check out prerequisites etc and saw the three class behavioral/social sciences requirement. Apart from psychology, anthropology, sociology, what other classes will they include in this designation? Are they pretty lenient in this category? I am not sure if I have fulfilled this requirement and if they will just trash my app if I apply without three behavioral/social sciences.
Thanks!

I've heard it's satisfied by any non-hard science classes and you need at least 2 in the same subject. For example: 2 econ classes + 1 psych class. 2 history + 1 music theory class, etc.

Hey guys, just want to let everyone who is waiting for site change requests that they are still granting requests. I just got switched to Chicago from U/P. Good luck to all those who are waiting.

Congrats to you man! As for me, I am still anxiously waiting for them to grant my petition.

Does anyone know what is going on with applicants that are still Decision Pending? Has anyone been accepted to the Medical School recently? Any advice for us still waiting....Shoud I call the admissions office? I interviewed late March. :scared:

Does anyone know what is going on with applicants that are still Decision Pending? Has anyone been accepted to the Medical School recently? Any advice for us still waiting....Shoud I call the admissions office? I interviewed late March. :scared:

Last edited:
Got a call from linda singleton this morning....i got in!!!! ....i finally calmed down after three hours...i would have found out in the morning but me being a ****** had my phone turned off....i dont think it has hit me yet...the whole reality and everything...but yeah...

Last edited:
Got a call from linda singleton this morning....i got in!!!! Placed at chicago campus (they offered me all four and i picked)....i finally calmed down after three hours...i would have found out in the morning but me being a ****** had my phone turned off....i dont think it has hit me yet...the whole reality and everything...but yeah...

wow congrats!!! :D

I'm looking for roommate(s) to share an apartment at the Chicago campus, preferably close to campus around Little Italy. Is there a website, etc to find other roommates from the med school? Thanks,

I received a phone call from Linda Singleton today. Unfortunately, I only got to my phone right now after business hours. On her phone message she did not mention anything about admission just that she wanted me to call her back. I later received this e-mail from her...

Please give me a call regarding your admission. My telephone number is (312)996-1633. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

I am hoping that this means that I am accepted. Can anyone provide any insight on this situation or a similar previous experiences. Any information would be really helpful. The thought of having to wait until Monday to find out what she wanted to tell me is really stressing me out. Thanks!

I received a phone call from Linda Singleton today. Unfortunately, I only got to my phone right now after business hours. On her phone message she did not mention anything about admission just that she wanted me to call her back. I later received this e-mail from her...

Please give me a call regarding your admission. My telephone number is (312)996-1633. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

I am hoping that this means that I am accepted. Can anyone provide any insight on this situation or a similar previous experiences. Any information would be really helpful. The thought of having to wait until Monday to find out what she wanted to tell me is really stressing me out. Thanks!
You're totally accepted. I've never heard of any school making a phone call this late in the game that was anything but an acceptance.

CONGRATS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.