2009-2010 University of Illinois (UIC) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it? (250 word limit)

2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why? (250 word limit)

3. Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (150 word limit)

LOR Reqs

1 committee letter or 3 academic letters one of which can be research.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I posted this comprehensive summary of UIC's status messages in last years thread to remove the ambiguity, so hopefully it will help out anyone applying to UIC this year as well.

START

I. Submit Primary.

II. Wait for the email from UIC giving you your login information for the Applicant Status Check site (usually arrives within 2 weeks of submitting your primary): https://mercury.comd.uic.edu/appstat

III. Login, and check your status in the second page. [At the bottom of this post I link to a program I made that makes checking your status as easy as double clicking your mouse.]

---

A. "Application Not Complete" = Secondary not yet complete.

B. "Application in Process" = You are complete. --> Goto C.

C. "Applicant in Process" = Your file is being reviewed, 3 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Select Interview Date" = You are good enough for an interview. --> Goto D.
2. "Application in Process" = You are not good enough to grant an interview yet, but might be later on in the cycle. Check back periodically. --> Go back to B.
3. "Final Decision Made ..." = You are not good enough. --> Goto X.​

D. "Select Interview Date" (A grid of dates shows up) = Call and schedule an interview date, after which "Interview Scheduled on ... " shows up. After the interview, Goto F.

F. "Decision Pending" = File pending review at the next adcom meeting (every 3rd Thursday of the month). There are 2 options from here, depending on the month:
1. Before May. --> Goto M.
2. On or After May. --> Goto N.​

M. Before May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " --> Goto S.
2. "Decision Pending" (No Status Change) + "We'll keep reviewing you" Email (a few days later) = You are a good candidate, but not good enough to grant an acceptance yet. UIC will keep reviewing you at every adcom meeting. --> Go back to F.​

N. On or After May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " You are (very likely) rejected. --> Goto X.
2. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. --> Goto Y.​

S. There are 2 additional conditions from here:
1. There is an "Additional Correspondences" Tab in the upper-right corner on your status page AND you get a CBC Email (a few days later) = You are (very likely) accepted. --> Goto Z.
2. There is no "Additional Correspondences" Tab and/or you don't get the CBC Email = Rejection. [Note: This is tricky. The CBC email usually comes a few days after (1-4 is the consensus) the status change. Be patient. Sometimes, the email never comes, which might be because you already had a CBC done due to an acceptance at another school. In some instances, the CBC Email even comes after the snail-mail. If after a week, neither the tab nor the CBC email shows up, it's very likely a rejection. You've probably already received snail-mail by now alerting you to it.] --> Goto X.​

X. "Final Decision Made ..." = Rejection :( ... Wait for a "Thin Letter" via snail-mail.

Y. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. :xf: ... The CBC Email no longer acts as an indicator of an acceptance. If you get accepted off of the waitlist, then Goto Z, else Goto X.

Z. "Final Decision Made ..." + "Additional Correspondences" Tab + CBC Email = (very likely) Acceptance :D ... Wait for a "Fat Packet" via snail-mail. [Note: Sometimes CBC emails come after the packet. CBC emails also might never arrive if you got an acceptance to another school that also does CBC through AMCAS.]

FINISH

---

Here's the program to help check your status (ONLY WORKS ON PC): http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/4/28/2422456/checkuic.zip

---

*** NOTE: There are no guarantees in the above information, since there is always the chance that UIC changes things up. Just always keep in mind that the above is of what has happened, and not what will happen. Good Luck to you 2014'ers.

Just wanted to pop in and say hello to my fellow UIC applicants. Best of luck to you.

does anyone know what the chances are for out of state for UIC? i dont have access to the MSAR this weekend bc im out of town and im having trouble finding that info online. also does legacy play any role into admissions? im not an IL resident, but my dad went to grad school at UIC. sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this. thanks to anyone who can help!

Does anyone know if Missouri residents are given any kind of extra consideration?

does anyone know what the chances are for out of state for UIC? i dont have access to the MSAR this weekend bc im out of town and im having trouble finding that info online. also does legacy play any role into admissions? im not an IL resident, but my dad went to grad school at UIC. sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this. thanks to anyone who can help!

i dont know about legacy but they are friendly to OOS applicants. The downside is their OOS tuition is scary....:scared:. Also even if legacy did play a role it would be for someone who graduated their med school most likely. Or someone whos very important to the university..like maybe your dad is a nobel prize winner lol.

i dont know about legacy but they are friendly to OOS applicants. The downside is their OOS tuition is scary....:scared:. Also even if legacy did play a role it would be for someone who graduated their med school most likely. Or someone whos very important to the university..like maybe your dad is a nobel prize winner lol.

*sigh* if only...... yeah he went to the graduate school....so no dice i guess! hahah thanks for the help!

does anyone know about their md/phd program? is GRE required?

Members don't see this ad :)
bump.....sorry guys but anyone knows about their req for md/phd?

Hi, I am zipmedic. You'll be seeing a lot of me as this cycle moves on. Watch, listen, and learn. ;) To start off...

Yeah, OOS students have plenty of chances. Your dad having gone here for graduate school will be of zero utility.

Missouri residents do not get any extra consideration (nor should they - you have your own med schools).

...and so it begins.

Hi, I am zipmedic. You'll be seeing a lot of me as this cycle moves on. Watch, listen, and learn. ;) To start off...

Yeah, OOS students have plenty of chances. Your dad having gone here for graduate school will be of zero utility.

Missouri residents do not get any extra consideration (nor should they - you have your own med schools).

...and so it begins.
hey zip i was wondering do you know if as an OOS you can get in state tuition after the 1st year or something? Would it matter that I was an IL resident before and have some ties there and such (i was married there and lived in southern IL for a while). also i sorta had a personal question about my situation and UIC would you mind if i just sent you a pm about it?

hey zip i was wondering do you know if as an OOS you can get in state tuition after the 1st year or something? Would it matter that I was an IL resident before and have some ties there and such (i was married there and lived in southern IL for a while). also i sorta had a personal question about my situation and UIC would you mind if i just sent you a pm about it?

You can not get in-state tuition after first year. The only way to become a resident for tuition purposes would be to live and work in Illinois without going to school for one year or more.

Sure, send me a PM for whatever else.

You can not get in-state tuition after first year. The only way to become a resident for tuition purposes would be to live and work in Illinois without going to school.

man, i should have kept my IL residency:(

You can not get in-state tuition after first year. The only way to become a resident for tuition purposes would be to live and work in Illinois without going to school.

Don't mock me, but I know nothing about state residency procedures. I'm assuming that you can only have one state of legal residence? Here's my deal, I was raised in MN and definitely was a resident there all my life. For the past two summers, and from now until med school (all year), I am living and working in IL without going to school, paid taxes, etc.. On my amcas app I list my IL residence as my preferred contact address. Would that be enough to help me out at all...for either getting in as in-state or for better tuition? I doubt it, but I thought I might as well ask.

Don't mock me, but I know nothing about state residency procedures. I'm assuming that you can only have one state of legal residence? Here's my deal, I was raised in MN and definitely was a resident there all my life. For the past two summers, and from now until med school (all year), I am living and working in IL without going to school, paid taxes, etc.. On my amcas app I list my IL residence as my preferred contact address. Would that be enough to help me out at all...for either getting in as in-state or for better tuition? I doubt it, but I thought I might as well ask.

It can only help if you've had 12 months of continuous residency in the state of Illinois. But who knows - maybe someone will make a mistake.

It can only help if you've had 12 months of continuous residency in the state of Illinois. But who knows - maybe someone will make a mistake.

So theoretically since I live here now, and will have lived here for over 12 continuous months (with proof that i'm on the lease) before starting school anywhere, I could get in-state tuition? I like how that sounds.

So theoretically since I live here now, and will have lived here for over 12 continuous months (with proof that i'm on the lease) before starting school anywhere, I could get in-state tuition? I like how that sounds.

Depends in large part on whether your parents claim you as a dependent on their income tax return. If you are claimed as a dependent, your residency status is generally that of your parents. If you are not claimed as a dependent, then you might be able to claim Illinois residency. See the following excerpts from the University of Illinois' FAQ on Residency:

1a. What do I, an independent student, have to do to become an Illinois resident for tuition purposes?

The University of Illinois requires that you be a bona fide resident of Illinois for one calendar year prior to the term for which you are applying for resident status. The University's requirements to establish residency may be different than other Illinois institutions of higher education or government agencies. Bona fide residency involves being gainfully employed and actually living in the state for one year, and taking other specific actions which link you to the state of Illinois. It also requires that you reside in Illinois primarily for reasons that are not related to receiving an education. It's important that actions be completed before the beginning of the term in which you are attempting to establish residency.

Versus:

1b. What do I, a dependent student, have to do to become an Illinois resident for tuition purposes?

It is assumed that a dependent student's residency follows his/her parent's. If a family moves to Illinois because of an employment opportunity for the family breadwinner, the dependent student is eligible for resident tuition at the start of the next academic term.

Read the document. It should answer most, if not all, of your questions regarding residency and in-state vs. OOS tuition.

I had no idea such a document existed. Thanks.

p.s. ...that's a weird reference.. "the family breadwinner"? ugh..

honestly, I just ran across this thread and others had asked about similar things....so I asked.

I had already done extensive searches on other schools, etc...

bah. oh well.

lol

We have 1 state school that gives any preference to MO residents. The rest are private schools. There also parts of MO and IL that are indistinguishable from each other, i.e. people live on one side and work on the other.

We have 1 state school that gives any preference to MO residents. The rest are private schools. There also parts of MO and IL that are indistinguishable from each other, i.e. people live on one side and work on the other.

Uh, lots of people who live on a state border work in an adjacent state. That's not remotely unique to IL/MO. No preference, chief, sorry.

Uh, lots of people who live on a state border work in an adjacent state. That's not remotely unique to IL/MO. No preference, chief, sorry.

That's why some schools give extra consideration to residents of adjacent states. That's why I asked. I wasn't trying to steal "your" medical schools, relax. Do you always speak in such a dickish tone? Probbably only on the internet.

Last edited:
That's why some schools give extra consideration to residents of adjacent states. That's why I asked.

And I answered. You probably won't always like it. And that's okay.

I wasn't trying to steal "your" medical schools, relax.

It's not "mine", and I'm quite relaxed, thank you. :)

Do you always speak in such a dickish tone?

It's unfortunate you consider straightforward answers to be "dickish". I'll try to sugar coat it better next time.

Probbably only on the internet.

If you get in, let's have lunch. You can find out. :)

If you get in, let's have lunch. You can find out.

Sounds good (especially the part about getting in). Thanks.

Sounds good (especially the part about getting in). Thanks.

Good luck! I'll be here answering admissions questions and giving whatever other advice I can. I think ehjay, the 2012 class president, may peek in from time to time as well.

Get an interview first, big boy, and we will have lunch. ...on UIC's dime. ;) Hell, maybe I'll do your interview. :smuggrin:

zip I've heard you ask a lot of tough medical ethics related questions... and grill interviewees in general. If that's the case, I RECOMMEND EVERYONE AGAINST GETTING INTERVIEWED BY ZIPMEDIC!!! :D

(well... not that there's a choice)

zip I've heard you ask a lot of tough medical ethics related questions... and grill interviewees in general. If that's the case, I RECOMMEND EVERYONE AGAINST GETTING INTERVIEWED BY ZIPMEDIC!!! :D

WTH is gossiping about my interviewing? I asked two ethics questions. Babies. :hungover: Anyway, I found out most of the other [faculty] interviewers are way hardcore, so I'm gonna tone it down this year. No need for interviewees to leave with chest pain.

Oh, I can take Zip. He's heard a few complaints from me in the past as is, listened to me vent, ethics questions would elicit a much kinder response.

That's why some schools give extra consideration to residents of adjacent states. That's why I asked. I wasn't trying to steal "your" medical schools, relax. Do you always speak in such a dickish tone? Probbably only on the internet.

Yeah zipmedic does always talk like this on the internet. They did it all throughout last year's thread. After reading through the UIC thread, I pretty much expected anyone who asked a question on the thread was going to get an unfriendly and unhelpful response from zipmedic. A lot of zip's responses consisted of "look through this thread for it" or "search for it yourself". This is a forum made for asking questions whether they are stupid questions or not, and responses like that are not helpful!

Yeah zipmedic does always talk like this on the internet. They did it all throughout last year's thread. After reading through the UIC thread, I pretty much expected anyone who asked a question on the thread was going to get an unfriendly and unhelpful response from zipmedic. A lot of zip's responses consisted of "look through this thread for it" or "search for it yourself". This is a forum made for asking questions whether they are stupid questions or not, and responses like that are not helpful!

I have been answering questions in Pre-Allo and here for a long time; I'd ask that you give me the courtesy of reading more of my responses (whether in or out of last year's UIC thread) before labeling me "unfriendly and unhelpful". I assure you, I'm not intentionally being rude; I'm simply answering questions directly and I seldom sugar coat things. I'm sorry if that doesn't play well for those with fragile feelings, but this is a draining process that requires some grit.

As for directing users to search for their own answers, please consider this: Towards the end of a cycle (where it appears you got most of your "research" on me), it gets very tiresome answering the same question repeatedly because someone doesn't want to take the time to check to see if there's already an answer in the thread. So yes, I did urge several users to search the thread for the relevant response. In all likelihood I'll do it again this year, once May/June rolls around.

Why should those of us who volunteer to come and answer users' questions about the school, the process, and provide updates be expected to repeat ourselves a bunch of times because somebody doesn't want to spend 5 minutes to read the thread? The forums are indeed for asking questions; however they are not for spoon feeding, either. Sometimes users need to put in a little work to get the information they want/need, that's all. :)

But hey, this is y'all's thread. If honest and upfront responses aren't welcome and you'd prefer I not answer your questions about UIC or give you the inside scoop when I have it, that's okay. Just let me know.

his answers dont seem unhelpful and really you think people interested in UIC would be happy to have someone who is a student at the school and apparently on the committee(?) in the thread to give you real information rather then some random pre med who probably knows nothing give you advise instead. If answers like this bother you I hate to see how it will be in real life for you.

If you type the answer more frequently, less people will ask questions that have already been asked because they will be more likely to see the answer. If you tell someone to search for it, thats not going to stop the next person who is wondering from asking it again. So really, you would be less tired.

This is just my thoughts.

zip, i know IL residents do have some preference at the school, but seeing as how i have significant ties to IL is that going to matter? I was married and lived in southern IL for 2 years. Also im fairly sure they are interested in those who will practice in underserved areas, which id assume includes southern IL, should i make that known if i am interested in doing so? Or in the end does none of that matter.

Last edited:
If you type the answer more frequently, less people will ask questions that have already been asked because they will be more likely to see the answer. If you tell someone to search for it, thats not going to stop the next person who is wondering from asking it again. So really, you would be less tired.

This is just my thoughts.
this is not true. I can post the same thing 50 times on page 3. But if everyone simply goes to the last page to ask instead of searching, they won't see it. Even if it is there 50 times.

i have a question about the behavioral science requirement. I just submitted today and as embarassing as it is i just saw the requirement....ouch. I have taken anthro and two ethics, and i put in that i'm planning on taking a psychology in the spring. Am i going to automatically get screened and even if i get the secondary is it not even possible to get in? i tried searching this but i couldn't find an answer from last year. Will the ethics count(Ethics, Medical ethics)?

You're absolutely entitled to your own thoughts; I disagree and will be urging people to search the thread (there is a "Search this thread" option, you know - people don't need to read every page) rather than repeat myself all year long.

zip, i know IL residents do have some preference at the school, but seeing as how i have significant ties to IL is that going to matter? I was married and lived in southern IL for 2 years. Also im fairly sure they are interested in those who will practice in underserved areas, which id assume includes southern IL, should i make that known if i am interested in doing so? Or in the end does none of that matter.

You should definitely make them both known if you can find a way to work them smoothly into your personal statement or EC's. Every little bit helps. :)

i have a question about the behavioral science requirement. I just submitted today and as embarassing as it is i just saw the requirement....ouch. I have taken anthro and two ethics, and i put in that i'm planning on taking a psychology in the spring. Am i going to automatically get screened and even if i get the secondary is it not even possible to get in? i tried searching this but i couldn't find an answer from last year. Will the ethics count(Ethics, Medical ethics)?

I believe the ethics will count, especially since you did medical ethics. You should call the office, though, to be sure. Two of the behavioral/social sciences need to be in the same subject area (i.e., two psychology and one anthro, or two anthro and one sociology, etc.). Make sure you get the green light on ethics, since they're your only two-course sequence.

You're absolutely entitled to your own thoughts; I disagree and will be urging people to search the thread (there is a "Search this thread" option, you know - people don't need to read every page) rather than repeat myself all year long.

You should definitely make them both known if you can find a way to work them smoothly into your personal statement or EC's. Every little bit helps. :)

I believe the ethics will count, especially since you did medical ethics. You should call the office, though, to be sure. Two of the behavioral/social sciences need to be in the same subject area (i.e., two psychology and one anthro, or two anthro and one sociology, etc.). Make sure you get the green light on ethics, since they're your only two-course sequence.
I forgot about this requirement. Soooo glad I took Child Psych now... haha.

I forgot about this requirement. Soooo glad I took Child Psych now... haha.
lol i have 3 classes taken for the BESS requirement...but none of them are in the same subject...so if i do end up here i gotta take some random psych/polysci class in the spring semester :(. Its such an odd requirement, i dont get it.

omg i dont think i meet that Behavioral/Social Sciences requirement. DAMNIT!

edit - actually, going through my verified amcas app, i have 3+ "BESS" courses. none are psych or those traditional ones though... am i good??

Last edited:

Very glad. While the search option is great, i am a firm believer that there will be many new members to this forum that don't know how to use it initially because I used to be one of them.

Now that this thread is new and you are very familar with the frequently asked questions, you should make a FAQ on the first page that you update as needed. Again just my thoughts. I see someone has already thought of this when thinking about the status updates.

omg i dont think i meet that Behavioral/Social Sciences requirement. DAMNIT!

edit - actually, going through my verified amcas app, i have 3+ "BESS" courses. none are psych or those traditional ones though... am i good??

Possibly. The admissions office accepts some non-traditional BESS courses - you should call today (Thursdays are the normal walk-in/phone call days). A counselor will be able to tell you if the 3+ courses you have will satisfy the requirement. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.