2008-2009 University of Buffalo Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. I hope it's not for their waitlist spots. Are you interviewing on March 11th?

Mr. Rosso told me time is NOT an issue at UB. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on the interview invites! are you instate?

No. I'm OOS. But for some reason, I'm getting good responses from state schools and not from private ones.

UB's website says they interview candidates Sept thru Feb. This year they extended their interview season, which is awesome!!!!

I was under the impression they went through April.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am out of state.

My interview is for March 11th as well. We can be interview buddies! I have a premonition that we will become the fabled "100 Percent Acceptance Interview Cohort." It is going to be sweet.

March 4th anyone? I was happy to hear from Buffalo after all this time.

I am out of state.

My interview is for March 11th as well. We can be interview buddies! I have a premonition that we will become the fabled "100 Percent Acceptance Interview Cohort." It is going to be sweet.

lol....I hope so!!

Interview invite for mid march. Complete since mid october.

I was out of state. I didn't submit my primary app until late October. Got an interview invite for mid March and was accepted the day after the interview (and there were a handful of people in my interview class who are now in my actual class). You guys still have a good chance depending on how the interview goes

I just got a March 11st invite as well! super excited about it. got a question though, do you guys know if there is a student hosting program for interviewees? Hanging around with students is always nice, esp for OOStaters like me

I just got a March 11st invite as well! super excited about it. got a question though, do you guys know if there is a student hosting program for interviewees? Hanging around with students is always nice, esp for OOStaters like me

I think there is - I remember getting a worksheet passed around in class asking whether or not we'd be willing to host. And every once in a while interviewees will show up to class with current students for a little bit before they have to go over to the 2nd floor atrium pre-interviews. So yes, I'd call the office and ask about it.

1-accept08---------middle 1/3
2-dwc929-----------middle 1/3

1-wrasler913--------upper 1/3
2-chubbychaser-----upper 1/3
3-geffgeff----------upper 1/3
4-cardioguy1--------upper 1/3

:clap: Accepted from the waitlist :clap: :

Legend:
Red = bottom 1/3
blue = middle 1/3
orange = went from bottom 1/3 to middle 1/3
lime = upper 1/3
magenta = went from middle 1/3 to upper 1/3
purple = Accepted off the waitlist

I just got an interview invite today. It's going to be in mid-march. Do you guys know if this interview is purely for waitlist spots?

Thanks

I just got an interview invite today. It's going to be in mid-march. Do you guys know if this interview is purely for waitlist spots?

Thanks

No it is not. They explicitly said that they do not do this out of respect to their applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know where I can find this info?

I spoke with Mr. Rosso on the phone and he said the same. Great guy, BTW.

i got an invite today too!

Interview for mid-march here as well! I'm glad to know that it isn't just for waitlist spots. However, it seems that many interviewees are getting waitlisted... Does anyone know when they fill the class, and if they only offer acceptances for the number of spots (and then move to the wait-list)? The school I will possibly start at begins classes on May 26th, so I'm trying to figure out if I should attend the interview (if there is a chance I will get news before May 15th??) Any advice?

Hi,

For those who were interviewed, I heard you have to write an essay before the interview? I was wondering what kind of essays you have to write? What's the general topic?

Thanks so much!

After being in the intermediate group for so long I still can't believe I haven't been offered an interview especially even being from Upstate, NY. Sorry for the venting but come on Buffalo - what the hell do you consider?!

After being in the intermediate group for so long I still can't believe I haven't been offered an interview especially even being from Upstate, NY. Sorry for the venting but come on Buffalo - what the hell do you consider?!

Hey, I am also in the pool. Maybe they are waiting until the end and will offer a few of us their last spots.

Could you please explain what "intermediate group" means?

Could you please explain what "intermediate group" means?

Refer to previous posts where they quoted the e-mail we received stating that we were placed into the intermediate pool. I don't have time now to copy and paste it. It simply said that at anytime during the season we can be moved up to an interview spot or moved down and rejected. That we would be continually compared to the constantly changing interview pools (I doubt this is true). So who knows..

Hi,

For those who were interviewed, I heard you have to write an essay before the interview? I was wondering what kind of essays you have to write? What's the general topic?

Thanks so much!

Bump on this one. I'm applying next cycle for this school and would like to find out this sort of thing with lots of anticipation. Anyone with experience interviewing here, your response is greatly appreciated!!!

Bump on this one. I'm applying next cycle for this school and would like to find out this sort of thing with lots of anticipation. Anyone with experience interviewing here, your response is greatly appreciated!!!

I think mine was something like "If you could have dinner with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be? And why?" So it wasn't some intimidating ethics question or anything at least. Its changes though - you can see what other people wrote in the interview feedback part of this website I believe. I'm pretty sure they told us during the interview day that it will have no bearing on our acceptance or something along those lines... Maybe it was just a conversation-starting piece for the interview? Either way I wouldn't worry too much about it, because it seemed like they were making an effort to make sure that everyone was comfortable throughout the day and everything I did was very nonstressful.

Last edited:
Refer to previous posts where they quoted the e-mail we received stating that we were placed into the intermediate pool. I don't have time now to copy and paste it. It simply said that at anytime during the season we can be moved up to an interview spot or moved down and rejected. That we would be continually compared to the constantly changing interview pools (I doubt this is true). So who knows..

Ok, I think I understand. Strange, though .. since I never got an email like that. Then suddenly I got the interview invite. Bad sign?

I didn't get that email either..... then out of the blue, interview invite. Hmmm

Ok, I think I understand. Strange, though .. since I never got an email like that. Then suddenly I got the interview invite. Bad sign?

You got the interview invite so it is a good sign.. good luck!

I didn't get that email either..... then out of the blue, interview invite. Hmmm
me either. i'm also oos... i think theyve taken quite a few people from my undergrad though.

Hi,

Thanks so much!

I've been invited for March 25th, and the email makes no mention of any essays. Do they send that info by snail mail, or what?

I've been invited for March 25th, and the email makes no mention of any essays. Do they send that info by snail mail, or what?
in the invite it said we'd be getting more information in the mail... so probably.

Essays are given to you the morning of the interview.

You will fill it out suring the day.

I think mine was something like "If you could have dinner with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be? And why?" So it wasn't some intimidating ethics question or anything at least. Its changes though - you can see what other people wrote in the interview feedback part of this website I believe. I'm pretty sure they told us during the interview day that it will have no bearing on our acceptance or something along those lines... Maybe it was just a conversation-starting piece for the interview? Either way I wouldn't worry too much about it, because it seemed like they were making an effort to make sure that everyone was comfortable throughout the day and everything I did was very nonstressful.

Thanks for the info! very appreciated. Best of luck for this cycle.

is the FAFSA code the same for suny buffalo, or is there a different one for the med school? thanks!

Got an interview invite for the post-bacc program today for April 1st. Has anyone else received an invite??

If you get accepted into the program and complete the required courses with a B or higher you are guaranteed acceptance the following year. The letter also states that occasionally when students interview for the post-bacc program they are granted acceptance directly into medical school and do not have to complete the post-bacc program.

Anyone else interviewing or interviewed already??

Got an interview invite for the post-bacc program today for April 1st. Has anyone else received an invite??

If you get accepted into the program and complete the required courses with a B or higher you are guaranteed acceptance the following year. The letter also states that occasionally when students interview for the post-bacc program they are granted acceptance directly into medical school and do not have to complete the post-bacc program.

Anyone else interviewing or interviewed already??

@ Buffalo?

I have never heard of such thing. May I ask if you are a URM?

Yes I am, and OOS also. I submitted my secondary on 8/26 and was rejected a few weeks later and got an invite e-mail yesterday. Apparently every medical school in NY will select about 7 students to complete a joined post-bacc program and at the end of the year the students who made all "B"s will begin classes at their respective medical schools that fall.

I'm part of the March 4th interview pool. I'm flying up there on Tuesday from Cali!

I'm part of the March 4th interview pool. I'm flying up there on Tuesday from Cali!

Good luck!!! It's freezing up there... haha, stay warm and safe travels.

Would someone kindly give me some advice on where to stay for the interview? I noticed that a lot of ppl stayed at Hampton Inn downtown, but it will be closed for renovation when I am there. Does anyone know of a hotel that provides a free shuttle service from the airport, to the school in the AM, is clean w/ free WiFi, and not too much $$$? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Cheers :)

Yes I am, and OOS also. I submitted my secondary on 8/26 and was rejected a few weeks later and got an invite e-mail yesterday. Apparently every medical school in NY will select about 7 students to complete a joined post-bacc program and at the end of the year the students who made all "B"s will begin classes at their respective medical schools that fall.

Wow, that seems pretty relaxed.

hey does anyone know when the last day of interview for this cycle is at UB? anyways... in about four weeks, they might start pulling people off the waitlist!!! In the previous two years, people started to get accepted off the wait list around early april!!! im so excited... ppl lets get the list updated!!!

Hi,

Thanks so much!

Don't worry too much about it...you cannot prepare for it anyway.

Would someone kindly give me some advice on where to stay for the interview? I noticed that a lot of ppl stayed at Hampton Inn downtown, but it will be closed for renovation when I am there. Does anyone know of a hotel that provides a free shuttle service from the airport, to the school in the AM, is clean w/ free WiFi, and not too much $$$? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Cheers :)

Stay at the Holliday Inn that is about 2 miles away from the school. They will pick you up from the airport and transport you to and from the interview and then they will shuttle you back to the airport. I cant remember exactly how much it cost...but I think it was in the $65-$85 range. (And you save a TON on taxi service because the school is quite a drive from the airport)
..Also if you stay on tuesday (I think?) they have a free buffet for guests (With all the beer you can drink!!!) When I stayed there this guy from New Zeland was down at the buffet and we ended up talking and I saw him have at least 5 glasses of wine just while I was there.

hey does anyone know when the last day of interview for this cycle is at UB? anyways... in about four weeks, they might start pulling people off the waitlist!!! In the previous two years, people started to get accepted off the wait list around early april!!! im so excited... ppl lets get the list updated!!!

I am still hoping to come out of the Intermediate Pool. :xf:

I'm still under review. I've been complete since end of September and still have "No Action" on the status page.

Stay at the Holliday Inn that is about 2 miles away from the school. They will pick you up from the airport and transport you to and from the interview and then they will shuttle you back to the airport. I cant remember exactly how much it cost...but I think it was in the $65-$85 range. (And you save a TON on taxi service because the school is quite a drive from the airport)
..Also if you stay on tuesday (I think?) they have a free buffet for guests (With all the beer you can drink!!!) When I stayed there this guy from New Zeland was down at the buffet and we ended up talking and I saw him have at least 5 glasses of wine just while I was there.

Thanks!

This is pretty unsettling. I have an interview in mid/late March, and I was already suspicious that it would be nothing more than a formality before placing me on the waitlist.

If what you're saying is true, then I suppose I'm correct? Can anyone verify this?

Also, how long do they take to make their decisions post-interview?

Thanks in advance.

For all those still waiting to hear, I just got an interview invite this morning. I have been complete since the end of August.

This is pretty unsettling. I have an interview in mid/late March, and I was already suspicious that it would be nothing more than a formality before placing me on the waitlist.

If what you're saying is true, then I suppose I'm correct? Can anyone verify this?

Also, how long do they take to make their decisions post-interview?

Thanks in advance.

There are available spots at EVERY interview day.

Decisions are normally rendered within 48 hours.

C'mon UB show me some love:luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.