2008-2009 Creighton Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think there are a few people from previous classes who joined the group to post housing info. does anybody know how big the class size is supposed to be?

126 I believe... so you can imagine my concern! I know there are some people from previous classes in the group but this still worries me. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Any t mobile users out there that attend Creighton or live in Omaha? Any thoughts on the best cell phone providers?

I currently have T Mobile and would like to keep it that way if the service is okay in Omaha with T Mobile.

Any thoughts or experience would be much appreciated!! Thanks:D

Any t mobile users out there that attend Creighton or live in Omaha? Any thoughts on the best cell phone providers?

I currently have T Mobile and would like to keep it that way if the service is okay in Omaha with T Mobile.

Any thoughts or experience would be much appreciated!! Thanks:D

Had T-Mobile when I went out there for the interview, and the service is HORRIBLE, especially on-campus.

In-staters have told me to go with either Sprint or Verizon, so I'll be making the switch come August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine.
Please limit your response to 2000 characters (approx. 250 words).

Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition.
Please limit your response to 2000 characters (approx. 250 words).

Anybody heard anything about acceptances from the waitlist yet? It has been mighty quiet!

I was informed that they were planning on looking at the Alternate List June 1st... however, as it sits right now they told me they actually still have to many students with acceptances holding seats... they are over booked by 6 right now still as of today... so it doesnt look very promising that there will be any movement here any time soon..... maybe we have to start thinking about plan B's...

(side note i was told that right now for whatever reason there has not been a lot of movement nationally as well... for whatever thats worth)

I was informed that they were planning on looking at the Alternate List June 1st... however, as it sits right now they told me they actually still have to many students with acceptances holding seats... they are over booked by 6 right now still as of today... so it doesnt look very promising that there will be any movement here any time soon..... maybe we have to start thinking about plan B's...

(side note i was told that right now for whatever reason there has not been a lot of movement nationally as well... for whatever thats worth)

wow, that is bad news... how likely is it that the waitlist doesn't even move?

well thats just it .... they dont really know... they are in unfamiliar waters right now... basically this has never really happened to them at least at this point in the cycle... they are not sure if they will even get to the waitlist and if they do... no one knows when is what it sounds like... sorry to be the barrier or bad news ... but it seemed they were definitely wanting people to be prepared for there second options... :scared: just figured everyone here should know the whole situation.

well thats just it .... they dont really know... they are in unfamiliar waters right now... basically this has never really happened to them at least at this point in the cycle... they are not sure if they will even get to the waitlist and if they do... no one knows when is what it sounds like... sorry to be the barrier or bad news ... but it seemed they were definitely wanting people to be prepared for there second options... :scared: just figured everyone here should know the whole situation.

thanks for the update

This is absolutely devastating and I can't believe it's happening! The funny thing is (though not funny at all NOW) is that during my interview day a guy asked Mr. Jarmon what would happen if too many people accepted an offer to attend Creighton... he laughed and said "A) Myself and Dr. Nipper would be fired and B) we would have to defer some people." I wonder if they would ever consider defering people from the alternate list? I just find this so mind-boggling and disappointing. I know last year they only pulled 30 ppl from the alternate list, but when I spoke to him in early April Mr. Jarmon said he expected that number to be higher this year! UGH. :eek::confused::scared:
Creighton is/was my top choice and was my best chance of getting off of a waitlist this year :(

If you don't mind me asking...where did you get this information?

its not a problem... i figured you guys would want to check my resources... ha... bascially I got my information straight from the source... I am a current Creighton student and so am around here all the time and am in the same boat as you all... and lets just say I ask a lot of questions. Fortunetly and unfortunetly Creighton is open about there status....
Here is how it plays out... Your right traditionally Creigthon pulls a lot of there class from the waitlist ( 100 people three years ago... 57 two years ago... and 38 last year) and they said last year they felt was a fluke..:eek:

However... for whatever reason right now they are sitting with extra acceptances... They are definitely in unchartered waters with this situation and do not know what is going to happen. I know from friends of years before by this time they had already been pulling names off. And right now they maybe having a situation with to many people they dont even know what is happening or why.
I have gathered that this year they gave more interview then years before and because of this I believe they may of given out more acceptances and put more on the waitlist... why they did this, this year is unclear I believe they had ideas of doing something different but it fell through... Basically it makes for a situation for us and them that totally sucks....
Right now it makes us sit in a situation that does not look promising especially compared to years before... so as I was advised, I will pass it along... be prepared with your back up plans... sorry to be passing along this horrible information... but hope it leads to the best situation for all of us... any other questions... go ahead and ask... i will be as honest and blunt as possible... I dont believe in any other way.... hope this helps in whatever way it can:confused::scared:

oh and on a side note also... I guess traditionally there are a lot more seats nationally available... aka a lot more waitlist movement... there seems to be half or so what there traditionally is.... therefore this can also be what is hurting us... and no one knows why there is less movement...
lets just pray that its because people are just taking longer to decide on schools...

its not a problem... i figured you guys would want to check my resources... ha... bascially I got my information straight from the source... I am a current Creighton student and so am around here all the time and am in the same boat as you all... and lets just say I ask a lot of questions. Fortunetly and unfortunetly Creighton is open about there status....
Here is how it plays out... Your right traditionally Creigthon pulls a lot of there class from the waitlist ( 100 people three years ago... 57 two years ago... and 38 last year) and they said last year they felt was a fluke..:eek:

However... for whatever reason right now they are sitting with extra acceptances... They are definitely in unchartered waters with this situation and do not know what is going to happen. I know from friends of years before by this time they had already been pulling names off. And right now they maybe having a situation with to many people they dont even know what is happening or why.
I have gathered that this year they gave more interview then years before and because of this I believe they may of given out more acceptances and put more on the waitlist... why they did this, this year is unclear I believe they had ideas of doing something different but it fell through... Basically it makes for a situation for us and them that totally sucks....
Right now it makes us sit in a situation that does not look promising especially compared to years before... so as I was advised, I will pass it along... be prepared with your back up plans... sorry to be passing along this horrible information... but hope it leads to the best situation for all of us... any other questions... go ahead and ask... i will be as honest and blunt as possible... I dont believe in any other way.... hope this helps in whatever way it can:confused::scared:

I think the waitlists nationally will move again in the upcoming week or so. I think this year, while we might have less total applicants apply nationally, we had a lot of more competitive applicants nationally. I'm guessing that there are probably a good number of applicants who are currently accepted here who have gotten off a waitlist somewhere else around May 15. Assuming that they take the full 2 weeks to decide and get financial aid information, they won't have to decline one of their offers until June 1. A few days after June 1, the waitlists nationally should move again because of the ricochet effect when people start shifting acceptances around.

100% speculation, but I think it's always good to remain hopeful.

Hopefully all of you guys waiting will be my classmates next year! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the waitlists nationally will move again in the upcoming week or so. I think this year, while we might have less total applicants apply nationally, we had a lot of more competitive applicants nationally. I'm guessing that there are probably a good number of applicants who are currently accepted here who have gotten off a waitlist somewhere else around May 15. Assuming that they take the full 2 weeks to decide and get financial aid information, they won't have to decline one of their offers until June 1. A few days after June 1, the waitlists nationally should move again because of the ricochet effect when people start shifting acceptances around.

100% speculation, but I think it's always good to remain hopeful.

Hopefully all of you guys waiting will be my classmates next year! :)

i'll take any speck of good news that i can get in order to stay sane. thanks.

this is very true... thanks q=mcat... i didnt really know how long people are given to decide once pulled off a waitlist... i had heard something like a couple days... If thats true they are giving a couple weeks then it would make sense why there has been a drag when it comes to waitlist movement...
And I too was hypothesising/ hoping that peoples slow movement and decision making was due to waiting for fianacial packages to arrive. So yes lets all cross our fingers thats the case... but the fact remains that when it comes to creighton... this is still a new unfamiliar situation that as it stands even if they get to the waitlist... it doesnt set up for a lot of WL movement... just saying... i truely hope im wrong... heres hoping ... :rolleyes:

So, I just called the admissions office today and told them about this "rumor" that I heard about Creighton overbooking on acceptances (which I'm sure they all know that we stalk studentdoctor.net), and she said she had no idea where this started but it isn't true, they have not handed out too many acceptances. She said there is very slow movement on the alternate list, but that it's still very early in the summer. So, I guess this is good news???? Everyone cross your fingers!:xf:

So, I just called the admissions office today and told them about this "rumor" that I heard about Creighton overbooking on acceptances (which I'm sure they all know that we stalk studentdoctor.net), and she said she had no idea where this started but it isn't true, they have not handed out too many acceptances. She said there is very slow movement on the alternate list, but that it's still very early in the summer. So, I guess this is good news???? Everyone cross your fingers!:xf:

does that mean they started accepting people off the alternate list today? when i called yesterday, the office secretary said that there has been no acceptances from the list yet.

Ha! I bet they got lots of calls...I called them last week when I heard about the rumor and the lady said that it wasn't true. Glad to hear that from another person! Hopefully movement starts to pick up!

:confused: Garland Jarmon told me in an email that there hasn't been any waitlist movement yet. There haven't been as many people declining acceptances this year as there have been in the past.

hey guys, I just saw your comments... and I think you guys all may of taken what I was saying the wrong way...
I was not trying to say that Creighton over booked there class and gave to many acceptances and that they were not going to get to the waitlist at all... (i never said that...)

I was just getting at that the information I had gathered was that compared to years prior to this one Creighton was sitting in a new situation. What I had heard and been informed of was that as of last week Creighton still had more people holding acceptances than they had seats. However, of course some of those people had multiple acceptances and what not...
But the reason I was really sharing this was to help you all know why you hadnt seen or heard about much waitlist movement yet at creighton. (Typically they would of started calling people shortly after decision day. I had a friend last year who heard the next day and a friend last 3 years ago who found out on decision day)
It had just been quite and I was trying to pass along info on why... however, I was not trying to say that for sure they had to many spots filled and what not... I dont think I said it that way... but if it came off that way I am sorry...
(but the fact that there seems to be no waitlist movement yet... i think still shows that there is still filtering out of the original acceptances taking place)
But I also will point out that no matter what in years past creightons waitlist can last all summer... I have a friend who found out 3 days before classes started... it happens all the time at other med schools and creighton is no exception there)

I only meant to inform you of the fact that creighton had not started and that because of national movement and the fact that creighton usually keeps a large waitlist ( probable a couple hundred) just wanted people to be prepared, because usually this is not the case with creighton.

So sorry if I scared you all to much... I dont believe I said it in a way that should have... again, I appologize if it came off that way

Try not to harrass the admin office to much, you know that will get old for them fast... it seems to be going slow and its going to take time...
(ps, yes they only took 38 from the waitlist last year... but lets be honest most likely they had to go through a lot more than that to get their 38)

good luck to you all :luck: fingers crossed:xf:

"I think you guys all may of taken what I was saying the wrong way...
I was not trying to say that Creighton over booked there class and gave to many acceptances and that they were not going to get to the waitlist at all... (i never said that...)"

thats exactly what you said...but i accept your sincere pseudo-apology. :cool:

wait list movement soon=:thumbup:

actually the two remarks i said about it were...

"basically this has never really happened to them at least at this point in the cycle... they are not sure if they will even get to the waitlist and if they do... no one knows when is what it sounds like..."

and...

"... this is still a new unfamiliar situation that as it stands even if they get to the waitlist... it doesnt set up for a lot of WL movement... just saying... i truely hope im wrong... heres hoping ... :rolleyes: "

and even with your quote...
as it sits right now they told me they actually still have to many students with acceptances holding seats... they are over booked by 6 right now still as of today... so it doesnt look very promising that there will be any movement here any time soon.....

i specifically said "any movement here any time soon"... no were do I say that they will never get to the waitlist... i just said they were unsure if they would and if they did.... when that would be...

But i still hold by the fact i never said they would never get there... i was passing along there uncertainity about the whole situation... (especially compared to years past) ...

So again sorry for scarying you all... i realize this time sucks but still just wanting people to know the whole situation...

This is a stupid argument. We are all on edge at this point. Be thankful for any news -- valid or not -- and take it with a grain of salt. If you have questions, contact Creighton directly. Otherwise, just choose what you do or do not wish to believe and leave it at that.

well said... and by all means think and do as you want...just trying to share and help with what i was being informed with.... good luck all

Anyone have some good news that they would like to share?

I wish! But no...not a word from Creighton :(

I spoke with Dee yesterday and she said both Jarmon and Nipper are out of town until Monday. She mentioned there is extremely slow movement off the waitlist, but beyond that she had no insight. I guess we can all still be hopeful, but the light doesn't seem so bright anymore. Good luck to everyone!

Anyone hear anything?

Anyone hear anything?

i also talked to jarmon yesterday. he said that the class size is at 126 right now, with a "couple" people still deciding between schools. he also said that with the waitlist, they will go through the creighton waitlisted applicants first before going to the other waitlisted applicants.

i also talked to jarmon yesterday. he said that the class size is at 126 right now, with a "couple" people still deciding between schools. he also said that with the waitlist, they will go through the creighton waitlisted applicants first before going to the other waitlisted applicants.

Do you mean that applicants currently attending Creighton University undergraduate get priority off the waitlist? If so, this sucks.

Do you mean that applicants currently attending Creighton University undergraduate get priority off the waitlist? If so, this sucks.

yes, i think he was referring to undergraduates and any other students affiliated with the school. the bad news just keeps piling up.

Do you think going to a Jesuit school for undergrad would make me slightly affiliated? :eek:

I believe this is true, CUMC prefers their undergrads.

I believe this is true, CUMC prefers their undergrads.

I can appreciate their loyalty to their own, but then again, it is also pretty crappy to learn of this.

This is all pretty shi**y if you ask me! Anyone else feel like they were given a great deal of FALSE hope at the interview and even after finding out about being waitlisted?

I have some good news for you guys. I came off a wait-list at a state school late last week, but I did not know if it was as good as Creighton (I mean in terms of the environment because they were both on par with each other academically, the other school may be even a little better because it has a craaap-load of money and resources and a fantastic teaching staff). But still, I fell in love with Creighton during my interview and judged the other school much, much harsher than Creighton when making this decision. When all is said and done, while I still like Creighton a lot, I don't think I can justify taking on that big of a debt (considering the state school's tuition is $8,000). It's really too bad because I was dead-set on Creighton and ready to move up soon. So, yesterday, I withdrew, and this morning, they sent the confirmation. I wish you all luck in getting my seat, and I hope you all end up where you want to go in the end. I hope you all have a great summer!

This is all pretty shi**y if you ask me! Anyone else feel like they were given a great deal of FALSE hope at the interview and even after finding out about being waitlisted?

Yes. Not to mention the entire trip cost me >$500 and a letter grade in one of my classes because I had to miss an exam. I guess at this point, all we can really do is hope for the best. :xf:

I just talked to Garland Jarmon and he said there is one spot open and the committee is going to meet next week to decide who that spot goes to. Doesn't seem to promising for this cycle. He said some spots may open up later on in the summer, but who knows. :scared:

Anyone out there re-applying?

me too...:thumbdown: don't really want to go through all this again...but looks like I will have to

At least you have all your essays and statements written, most of the activities completed, and know how to interview. The only crappy part is the overlap between cycles.

Anyone out there re-applying?

I submitted my AMCAS and AACOMAS on June 2. I'm not going to take any chances... I'd rather waste 600 dollars. Or 1500, depending how many secondaries I finish before I get off one of my 2 waitlists.

Just wondering, how many of you are addressing the weakness(es) noted by the ad-coms and providing them with updates? How frequent are the updates?

Mine is non-medical service and I update about every 4-6 weeks.

Just wondering, how many of you are addressing the weakness(es) noted by the ad-coms and providing them with updates? How frequent are the updates?

Mine is non-medical service and I update about every 4-6 weeks.

Same here. I have been sending updates about every 4 weeks. It's not very encouraging that nobody on here has posted any acceptances lately.

So, i just called Creighton and spoke with Garland Jarmon. Good news and bad news. Bad news first: There has still been no acceptances off the alternate list, and in general, the movement nationwide is particularly slow off alternate lists this year. Good news: He did say there are a FEW openings that the AdCom will be deciding on throughout this week.

SO.....good luck to everyone!!! I know it's not a lot, but it is something to be hopeful for! Even 2 spots is better than 1 which is the number of open spots I've been reading on here about. Also, good luck on reapplying too...It seems to be way easier this time around...just need to scrounge up that money!

So, i just called Creighton and spoke with Garland Jarmon. Good news and bad news. Bad news first: There has still been no acceptances off the alternate list, and in general, the movement nationwide is particularly slow off alternate lists this year. Good news: He did say there are a FEW openings that the AdCom will be deciding on throughout this week.

SO.....good luck to everyone!!! I know it's not a lot, but it is something to be hopeful for! Even 2 spots is better than 1 which is the number of open spots I've been reading on here about. Also, good luck on reapplying too...It seems to be way easier this time around...just need to scrounge up that money!

A few is better than one! Thank you for the update.

Like I need to tell you all this.... but this is getting rediculously painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.