2008-2009 Creighton Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just talked to them...i'm gonna be a doctor!!

i had to double check to make sure i heard her correctly, and I still don't believe it. good luck to everyone else out there waiting! i hope you hear some fantastic news soon too!!

Members don't see this ad.

i had to double check to make sure i heard her correctly, and I still don't believe it. good luck to everyone else out there waiting! i hope you hear some fantastic news soon too!!

Congrats!!!
I chickened out and decided to wait till the weekend is over to call.

Congrats! You must be so freaking excited. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey wepio!

thanks for checking and posting that info! i hope today, good ol friday the 13th, brings lots of people good news :)

have you called them today yet, or are you planning to? i was thinking i might call near the close of business today, but i've called a bit much and dont really feel like hearing a) "no, sorry there is no decision on your file yet", or b) "yes, we've reached a decision, you should be receiving a letter in the mail in the next few days"...from what i am guessing, that usually means a non-acceptance.

anyway, good luck to you and everyone else out there who's waiting!!

I was going to call, but missed their office hours by 15-mins -- stupid time zones. Anyways, I don't know if I want to find out over the phone. I might just ask if they've made and decision, and if they've sent it. I know I'm being really stupid about this but would like to experience that excitement of opening the envelope... You know, sort of like Christmas, but on a more life altering scale.

Unfortunately Friday the 13th was not my best day, I got a waitlist letter :( This is so disappointing because I really loved the school and felt like I had a good chance of getting in. I did not expect to hear back for at least another week so the news kind of blindsided me! I'm wondering what I could do to increase my chances of getting pulled off the waitlist at this point.

When did you interview?

Call and ask them tomorrow and they'll tell you exactly what you need to do

That's what I was considering... I searched MDapps and I saw two people that said the reason for their waitlist was not enough non-medical volunteering. I'm afraid that if I call them and they tell me this is the reason, and if I go out and add an activity (i.e. Habitat for Humanity) and send them an update then they will think I just did it to please them. I'm wondering if I'm better off assuming this is the reason. Then, I could add my activity of choice w/o them thinking that I did it just because they told me to. Any thoughts??

That's what I was considering... I searched MDapps and I saw two people that said the reason for their waitlist was not enough non-medical volunteering. I'm afraid that if I call them and they tell me this is the reason, and if I go out and add an activity (i.e. Habitat for Humanity) and send them an update then they will think I just did it to please them. I'm wondering if I'm better off assuming this is the reason. Then, I could add my activity of choice w/o them thinking that I did it just because they told me to. Any thoughts??

i don't think it would hurt to ask them what they want. i know a lot of people who were accepted with the condition that they complete some extra stuff (like taking a biochemistry course or doing some service activity). they might even like you more knowing that you're going out of your way to add on an activity just for creighton.

Unfortunately Friday the 13th was not my best day, I got a waitlist letter :( This is so disappointing because I really loved the school and felt like I had a good chance of getting in. I did not expect to hear back for at least another week so the news kind of blindsided me! I'm wondering what I could do to increase my chances of getting pulled off the waitlist at this point.

I called this morning and received the same news -- waitlisted. :mad:

does anyone know if decisions have been made for the 2/27 interview group? i think i remember them saying that they would be making decisions this week and letters should be arriving maybe next week..

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 2/21 and they said the letters wouldn't be sent out for another week. Decisions have been made though. I'm going to Omaha!
33MCAT and 3.7 GPA if you want a benchmark.

update: i just called and they may or may not have decisions for the 2/27 group on Friday.. since they added an extra day on saturday (2/21) everything is slightly shifted for the later groups.

I'm about to withdraw an acceptance today, hope that does something for the waitlist people.

I'm about to withdraw an acceptance today, hope that does something for the waitlist people.

Let me be the first to say thank you! I know not everyone is in the position to decline acceptances this early due to certain circumstances (e.g. waiting on financial aid packages), but some people seem to put it off for no legitimate reason. Once again, thank you for being so considerate, and I wish you all the best next year!

Does anyone know anything about Creighton allowing international clinical rotations in the third or fourth year???

I would love to travel abroad, and this would also make me feel a little better about being a bostonian coming to the not-so-familiar Mid-west for the very first time.

Any input would be appreciated.

Does anyone know anything about Creighton allowing international clinical rotations in the third or fourth year???

I would love to travel abroad, and this would also make me feel a little better about being a bostonian coming to the not-so-familiar Mid-west for the very first time.

Creighton is really good about that sort of thing. They even have a program in the DR where medical students and CU docs go together to give care over the summers and I have heard of medical students doing externships in other countries. I think the DR is the most established one, though, because the program is run from Creighton.

I don't know too much about international programs, but you should look up Project CURA at Creighton Med.

http://medicine.creighton.edu/projectcure/index.html

Interviewed way back in January. Accepted last Friday!

Yes, two months later, just as a note of confidence/information to those of you out there who may also not have heard back when others did.

To all of you waiting I am turning back an acceptance so I hope somebody gets in that really wants to go!!! Best of luck!

To all of you waiting I am turning back an acceptance so I hope somebody gets in that really wants to go!!! Best of luck!

Hey thanks!!!! I am on the waitlist and really hoping to get in to Creighton!!!!

Hey guys! Congrats on everyone who has been accepted and good luck to everyone who is on the wait-list. Please try and get on Face book and join the Creighton Class of 2013 - so we can all start getting to know each other. It helps to have a face go with the threads. Plus I am sure we all have the same questions and can use some advice!

Cant wait to meet everyone!

I really wish I could join, but I am still only on the WL :( Congrats to everyone else who got in!!

Question:

I got my financial aid package and it is nothing but loans. Does this mean that I did not get a scholarship or do those come out later or something?

Thanks

ZeusOnRoids

When I spoke with someone in admissions, I was told that everyone gets waitlisted if they aren't accepted. I wonder how they decide who gets re-reviewed and in what order if there is no ranking and so many people on the wait list? I have sent a LOI, updates, etc...but who knows if and when you'll even get re-reviewed to be considered getting accepted off the waitlist? I guess I just have to be hopeful....but seems like odds are little to none :(

When I spoke with someone in admissions, I was told that everyone gets waitlisted if they aren't accepted. I wonder how they decide who gets re-reviewed and in what order if there is no ranking and so many people on the wait list? I have sent a LOI, updates, etc...but who knows if and when you'll even get re-reviewed to be considered getting accepted off the waitlist? I guess I just have to be hopeful....but seems like odds are little to none :(

From what I hear, there is a ranking system for people on the waitlist. I don't know if they will tell you how you rank on the waitlist though.

From what I hear, there is a ranking system for people on the waitlist. I don't know if they will tell you how you rank on the waitlist though.

i was always told that the waitlist is unranked, at least from what the office person told me. sorry for the skepticism, but where did you find out that the list is ranked? it must be some sort of secret that applicants aren't supposed to know, if true.

from what i heard on both interview day and calling to discuss my application after being waitlisted, there is definitely NO ranking to the waitlist.....everyone who is waitlisted is encouraged to send lots of updates up until May 15th (and I guess after as well), at which time all of the people on the waitlist are re-reviewed. Every person is re-reviewed, original file and updates, at which point we can be accepted or rejected up until classes actually start. I know from a member of the class of 2012 that one person on the waitlist was actually accepted 1 WEEK prior to the start of classes!

This process is awful, but from what I have been told by admissions and current students Creighton is very thorough with its re-review of applicants and has a lot of waitlist movement.....hope this was helpful and good luck to everyone who would love to attend Creighton (like ME heh)

from what i heard on both interview day and calling to discuss my application after being waitlisted, there is definitely NO ranking to the waitlist.....everyone who is waitlisted is encouraged to send lots of updates up until May 15th (and I guess after as well), at which time all of the people on the waitlist are re-reviewed. Every person is re-reviewed, original file and updates, at which point we can be accepted or rejected up until classes actually start. I know from a member of the class of 2012 that one person on the waitlist was actually accepted 1 WEEK prior to the start of classes!

This process is awful, but from what I have been told by admissions and current students Creighton is very thorough with its re-review of applicants and has a lot of waitlist movement.....hope this was helpful and good luck to everyone who would love to attend Creighton (like ME heh)

My mistake, I thought I heard on interview day that it is ranked, but I guess I am mistaken. For anyone that interviewed on 3/7, I sent an email this past week asking when I might hear something and they said that they expect to have reviewed my application by next Friday, 4/3. I may give them a call next Friday in the afternoon to find out.

But, they must rank us somehow after all the apps are re-reviewed right?

Also, don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but they do not waitlist everyone who isn't accepted. I know someone who was rejected after their interview, but it sounds rare.

But, they must rank us somehow after all the apps are re-reviewed right?

Also, don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but they do not waitlist everyone who isn't accepted. I know someone who was rejected after their interview, but it sounds rare.

I would assume that they must rank us at some point after May 15th, otherwise we would never get in! I just know that Creighton is different than many schools as that right now, there is just a big pool of us that will be reviewed at a later point.

I had definitely heard both- that no one is rejected post-interview and that some people are.....I guess it is good for us on the waitlist to know that some people have been rejected, the waitlist will be a little smaller at least!

I had definitely heard both- that no one is rejected post-interview and that some people are.....I guess it is good for us on the waitlist to know that some people have been rejected, the waitlist will be a little smaller at least!

As I was told at the post-interview presentation at Creighton by Dr. Nipper himself, the majority of interviewed applicants are either accepted or waitlisted. They reserve rejection for the very few interviewees that somehow portrayed an alarming or incorrigible element during interview day. His message was that, if you have been invited to an interview in the first place, "Congratulations," because evidently they do a very thorough screening for character and basic MCAT/GPA statistics.

He said that (and this is probably no information to most of you) roughly 55% of interviewees are accepted and the remainder are waitlisted. The number of acceptances is relatively high because he openly acknowledged the outrageous tuition (compared to state-schools and the like) as well as Creighton not having some of the same resources as bigger universities. It is, also, an open conversation up to, as well as somewhat after, May 15th, in which you and Creighton are encouraged to communicate about your weaknesses, new activities, and desire to come to Creighton.

Hey guys! Congrats on everyone who has been accepted and good luck to everyone who is on the wait-list. Please try and get on Face book and join the Creighton Class of 2013 - so we can all start getting to know each other. It helps to have a face go with the threads. Plus I am sure we all have the same questions and can use some advice!

Cant wait to meet everyone!

Hey, is there a Creighton University School of Medicine Class of 2013?? Because the Creighton Class of 2013 includes all the undergrad freshman too I thought. Someone should start the School of Medicine one so that we could start talkin about roomates, housing, books, etc etc.

Im not gonna do it yet, b/c although I love Creighton, I am still holding out for my state school to save money. But there is def. still a good chance I will be joining shortly.

Hey, is there a Creighton University School of Medicine Class of 2013?? Because the Creighton Class of 2013 includes all the undergrad freshman too I thought. Someone should start the School of Medicine one so that we could start talkin about roomates, housing, books, etc etc.

Im not gonna do it yet, b/c although I love Creighton, I am still holding out for my state school to save money. But there is def. still a good chance I will be joining shortly.

Yup....there is a "Creighton School of Medicine Class of 2013" facebook group. I guess it doesnt have the university in the name

So, I'm relatively new to this thing and am a reader, not a post-er. To those waiting to hear back after an interview, it seems that they have made their decisions (for now, i.e. pending the final decisions of those accepted and waitlist situation) on the last bunch of interviewees. I first received a phone call from one of my mentors/rec letter writers last Thursday, who told me the good news. Because this phone call was early :sleep:and woke me up , upon hearing this, I was in disbelief, confused, excited...everything...Apparently, Dr. Kavan asked my mentor to notify me.

I was in such a shock :eek: that I immediately called the school to confirm, and the secretary said no decision has been made. My heart sank to a level I did not know it could sink to. *...Did I dream the whole thing?...after all, it was rather early (for me).* :scared:

But then, she transferred me to the director of admissions, and he confirmed the acceptance. *NO MCAT EVER! NO AMCAS EVER! NO MORE WAITING!*:rolleyes: They had made the decision for me that very morning. They will mail out the acceptances/waitlist invites today. Whoever feels like waiting until Friday or Saturday can do so, but, for those who wish to know, the decisions have been made. :luck:

On that note, I am so unspeakably excited about this acceptance, and I hope things work out so that I may attend Creighton. I loved the campus and the students and the attitude the school seemed to have. :love: I loved the grading system and the sense of community. I liked the lack of competitiveness and the laid-back, fun-going nature of the students (I stayed for 3 nights and had a lot of time to interact with the students).

My only reservations are the COA :wow:(huge burden on my family and me, even with my family helping) and my aspirations to come back to the east for residency (I didn't see too many east-coasters on the match list). I really hope Dr. Nipper was not kidding about residency directors asking for more Creighton students and that some of these requests have been from hospitals in Boston or NYC (dream residencies = Beth Israel, Mt. Sinai, or BMC). Since the COA is high at all med schools and because I loved Creighton so much, I think I will need very little convincing to attend (To any current students, I would appreciate any advice or encouragement :help:).

That said, I'm sure I will be meeting many of you guys on August 12 at the orientation/white coat ceremony :)soexcited:). I will join that facebook group so I can to get know my future classmates beforehand :hello:. Sooo freaking excited!!!

**The use of emoticons was an attempt to counteract the wearying effects of this long post.**

So, I'm relatively new to this thing and am a reader, not a post-er. To those waiting to hear back after an interview, it seems that they have made their decisions (for now, i.e. pending the final decisions of those accepted and waitlist situation) on the last bunch of interviewees. I first received a phone call from one of my mentors/rec letter writers last Thursday, who told me the good news. Because this phone call was early :sleep:and woke me up , upon hearing this, I was in disbelief, confused, excited...everything...Apparently, Dr. Kavan asked my mentor to notify me.

I was in such a shock :eek: that I immediately called the school to confirm, and the secretary said no decision has been made. My heart sank to a level I did not know it could sink to. *...Did I dream the whole thing?...after all, it was rather early (for me).* :scared:

But then, she transferred me to the director of admissions, and he confirmed the acceptance. *NO MCAT EVER! NO AMCAS EVER! NO MORE WAITING!*:rolleyes: They had made the decision for me that very morning. They will mail out the acceptances/waitlist invites today. Whoever feels like waiting until Friday or Saturday can do so, but, for those who wish to know, the decisions have been made. :luck:

On that note, I am so unspeakably excited about this acceptance, and I hope things work out so that I may attend Creighton. I loved the campus and the students and the attitude the school seemed to have. :love: I loved the grading system and the sense of community. I liked the lack of competitiveness and the laid-back, fun-going nature of the students (I stayed for 3 nights and had a lot of time to interact with the students).

My only reservations are the COA :wow:(huge burden on my family and me, even with my family helping) and my aspirations to come back to the east for residency (I didn't see too many east-coasters on the match list). I really hope Dr. Nipper was not kidding about residency directors asking for more Creighton students and that some of these requests have been from hospitals in Boston or NYC (dream residencies = Beth Israel, Mt. Sinai, or BMC). Since the COA is high at all med schools and because I loved Creighton so much, I think I will need very little convincing to attend (To any current students, I would appreciate any advice or encouragement :help:).

That said, I'm sure I will be meeting many of you guys on August 12 at the orientation/white coat ceremony :)soexcited:). I will join that facebook group so I can to get know my future classmates beforehand :hello:. Sooo freaking excited!!!

**The use of emoticons was an attempt to counteract the wearying effects of this long post.**

Did you interview on 3/7?

Congrats! Your enthusiasm is infectious haha.

I interviewed on 3/7 as well and they said that they hadn't made a decision on my application yet when I called.... Hopefully by the end of this week.

Dude, I'm so sorry about that. I was under the impression that all schools work on groups of students at a time (this has been the case for most schools I've applied to), and that they had made all the accepted/wait list decisions. Sometimes when I called inquiring about my status at other schools and I mentioned that "during the interview, they said....," the answer I got was that the adcom got busy with other meetings or personal things and had to push back the decisions. I hope this is the case for you. Also, I heard that after the interview, they rank the candidates based on an algorithm where all the components of your app are given a numerical value and added together. I'm sure they put the applicants in order of the final value and get to your file in that order to decide on your status. Everything you can do to boost this valuation, you should do it. That said, did you submit any updates or letters of interest/additional personal statement? If so, did you do it RIGHT after the interview? Things like getting that information out earlier (I did it the day of interview) may have added only an extra .5 pts, but that may have put my file ahead of a lot of other people. If they still don't have a decision and you have not submitted updates/incentives [including some sort of letter], I would do so immediatedly if I were you, and the reason is obvious. If you've done all that already, I don't know what to tell you, man. Waiting sucks; I've been on that boat. At some points, I was like "reject me already so I know!" Just hang in there and have faith...good luck to you my man (an assumption made from your user name):xf:. I hope I see you there in August! BTW, since we were at the same interview, what was your interesting fact?

Um, to qmcat, I don't know how to quote twice in one post...but, thanks! Look at me...trying to enter a profession where I am supposed to prevent spreading things, and here I am spreading things. Haha, I am indeed excited (and I apologize for my attempt at a joke there). I'm usually more keen on inappropriate jokes...think "The Todd" on Scrubs and you have my type of humor pegged. Anyhoo, have you also been accepted and are you planning on attending?

Um, to qmcat, I don't know how to quote twice in one post...but, thanks! Look at me...trying to enter a profession where I am supposed to prevent spreading things, and here I am spreading things. Haha, I am indeed excited (and I apologize for my attempt at a joke there). I'm usually more keen on inappropriate jokes...think "The Todd" on Scrubs and you have my type of humor pegged. Anyhoo, have you also been accepted and are you planning on attending?

Yep! I've been accepted and planning on attending also (although I'm holding onto one waitlist spot elsewhere). You seem like a really cool person though... it'd be cool having you as a classmate. :thumbup:

Yup....there is a "Creighton School of Medicine Class of 2013" facebook group. I guess it doesnt have the university in the name

oh, thanks! I did not think of writing it out that way in the search box......

Yep! I've been accepted and planning on attending also (although I'm holding onto one waitlist spot elsewhere). You seem like a really cool person though... it'd be cool having you as a classmate. :thumbup:

Why, thank you, qmcat! I'm on a similar boat as you. Creighton has been a beacon of hope in the choppy sea of waitlists. I don't know what I would do if I came off a waitlist, particularly at a state school. But, you know, even the nature of this forum is a motivating factor to go to Creighton, and I may not jump ship after all [that's the last nautical reference I'll use, I promise]. Everyone is so helpful and laid-back; I would love to be a part of a student body that is courteous and not conceited. I've read some posts in other schools' forums, and people are downright mean, even to people they have never met before. I don't even know how act this way...I mean, I like to wait a month or so before I start being mean and aggressive [yet another unfunny, bad joke ]. Creighton did not seem to foster any sort of hostility amongst its students, and I like this alot. So qmcat, if I ever figure out who you are, I hope I see you at Creighton as well!

Last edited:
I really hope that I get good news from Creighton on Friday! This is really my only hope for a straight acceptance. :scared:

I really hope that I get good news from Creighton on Friday! This is really my only hope for a straight acceptance. :scared:

Interviewed 3/7 and called this morning to find out if a decision had been made on my application.... Alternate list. Huge disappointment. But I suppose there is still hope. :xf: I guess those of us on the alternate won't know our fate until around June or so...

Got an email this morning congratulating me on my acceptance!!! Sooooo happy right now as this was my first acceptance (only waitlists before this).

I am still in shock, shed a few tears, called my entire phone book, rechecked the email 9275 times.

I can't believe it and still think I'm dreaming but I'm going to med school!!! :D :D :D

Good luck to everybody else. You can do it!! :xf:

Got an email this morning congratulating me on my acceptance!!! Sooooo happy right now as this was my first acceptance (only waitlists before this).

I am still in shock, shed a few tears, called my entire phone book, rechecked the email 9275 times.

I can't believe it and still think I'm dreaming but I'm going to med school!!! :D :D :D

Good luck to everybody else. You can do it!! :xf:

I just received this email, too. Did it also have the Dean's Diversity Scholarship thing? I wonder if I can comment on my future socio-economic state if I don't receive this scholarship...Hmm, maybe I have a shot in that I will definitely add diversity to this particular school. Anyhoo, you were at the 3/7 interview? So, was I. Just so I may conjecture an identity, what was your interesting thing, if you so wish to reveal this? You may PM me if you'd like. Mine will be kind of telling...I was the last to go, and my interesting thing was that I live RIGHT next to Fenway Park in Boston and have no interest in baseball whatsoever. Well, I can't wait to meet you and all the other accepted students in Omaha on August 12th! :D

DavyDude, I'm sorry to hear you didn't receive your acceptance right away. You definitely seem deserving of it. But hey, it seems like Creighton accepts a lot more students off the wait list than any other school I've heard of. That means you still have a good shot later on in the season. Good luck, buddy! :luck: Hope it does work out for you in the end.

I just received this email, too. Did it also have the Dean's Diversity Scholarship thing? I wonder if I can comment on my future socio-economic state if I don't receive this scholarship...Hmm, maybe I have a shot in that I will definitely add diversity to this particular school. Anyhoo, you were at the 3/7 interview? So, was I. Just so I may conjecture an identity, what was your interesting thing, if you so wish to reveal this? You may PM me if you'd like. Mine will be kind of telling...I was the last to go, and my interesting thing was that I live RIGHT next to Fenway Park in Boston and have no interest in baseball whatsoever. Well, I can't wait to meet you and all the other accepted students in Omaha on August 12th! :D

DavyDude, I'm sorry to hear you didn't receive your acceptance right away. You definitely seem deserving of it. But hey, it seems like Creighton accepts a lot more students off the wait list than any other school I've heard of. That means you still have a good shot later on in the season. Good luck, buddy! :luck: Hope it does work out for you in the end.

I actually interviewed on 3/6 so I wasn't there for your bunch. Although there was a guy who said something about Fenway Park and went to school in California... Lakers fan too I believe? Was that you and maybe you interviewed on Friday instead??

If so, I was the Saint Louis University girl (I don't remember what I said for my interesting thing). Let me know!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.