WWhat a Normal, Boring, Everyday Vet Clinic - Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CK? Not really in a 'healthy' animal that I can remember. Large down neuro patients, HBC, BDLD, tying up horses, rarely post surgical colic are what come to mind. I've read before that anorectic cats it can increase, possibly due to muscle catabolism, but I haven't recognized that myself and idk how high that would get (I doubt >10k). Severe sample hemolysis could interfere with the analyzer for CK. Or data entry error or something.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
CK? Not really in a 'healthy' animal that I can remember. Large down neuro patients, HBC, BDLD, tied up horses, rarely post surgical colic are what come to mind. I've read before that anorectic cats it can increase, possibly due to muscle catabolism, but I haven't recognized that myself and idk how high that would get (I doubt >10k). Severe sample hemolysis could interfere with the analyzer for CK. Or data entry error or something.

Hmm. Ok. Was a cat. Can't think of anything else to make it go that high. And the CK was repeated by the lab to verify the number.

Hmm. Ok. Was a cat. Can't think of anything else to make it go that high. And the CK was repeated by the lab to verify the number.
Lab errors do happen sometimes, as much as we try to minimize them. Hemolysis might be my main concern from what you've said since it doesn't fit with the clinical condition of the cat, but usually the major labs note when its present and let you know which things might be affected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lab errors do happen sometimes, as much as we try to minimize them. Hemolysis might be my main concern from what you've said since it doesn't fit with the clinical condition of the cat, but usually the major labs note when its present and let you know which things might be affected.

Idexx, no hemolysis and specific line under CK of "verified by repeat analysis".

Idexx, no hemolysis and specific line under CK of "verified by repeat analysis".
Did you call and talk to them? We use Antech but I've found their consult line helpful. Kinda hit or miss depending on whom you speak with, unfortunately, but I've had a couple times with weird results where they passed along for verification or second check, or at the very least gave their best guess.

Last I can think of was a CBC on routine labs before anesthesia that had 36 nRBCs per 100 WBCs and I was just like, huh?? (also kicked myself for not having a smear on that dog to look at myself).

So I was talking to Trilt a little bit ago, and she told me a really interesting "hint" she left about STL's conversion that nobody caught (or that wolves caught and didn't tell the thread haha).

So someone broke @SummerTheLynx 's leg/ underwent trauma and apparently if you knew that, you could read that in the CBC/Chem panel through the high CPK level! So the more you know apparently!

View attachment 216394

I knew trilt was going to do this, and I was super happy when you gave the interpretation along with it, so people would see it and move along.

Reactions: 1 user
I knew trilt was going to do this, and I was super happy when you gave the interpretation along with it, so people would see it and move along.
:smack: Ugh. Last time I trust STL in a game.

("I swear- there's no such thing as a day vigilante- she's obviously lying " -STL D1, the last game we played together)
:diebanana:

Did you call and talk to them? We use Antech but I've found their consult line helpful. Kinda hit or miss depending on whom you speak with, unfortunately, but I've had a couple times with weird results where they passed along for verification or second check, or at the very least gave their best guess.

Last I can think of was a CBC on routine labs before anesthesia that had 36 nRBCs per 100 WBCs and I was just like, huh?? (also kicked myself for not having a smear on that dog to look at myself).

I considered it. I've definitely called them before on cases. Then time slipped away, we got busy. Talked to client and so far, no interest in further testing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mmmmmm. Hm. Ok, watched the brags.

+1 for team-bragging.

-1 for just talking (who was it who once created little paper villagers and either burned them or put arrows through them?)

Little dry on the humor and excitement side. And I'm not quite so convinced that Coopah (or whoever the first wolf was) got the village going the wrong way. Several of us still had wolves in our targets in spite of that.

I'll go with 7.5/10. Solid performance, good brag, not hall-of-famer work.

Congrats, wolves. Very nicely played, especially @WildZoo . Village, pull your game up, you sucked. Quit being such damn ninnies about lynching people who are suspicious. If someone is suspicious to you, be willing to lynch them even if it's just kinda so-so suspicion.
Chillbo burned them
Romeoret shot them with an arrow
I used them in a cartoon/dream sequence.

Tag the brags for me, I ain't looking thru this nonsense to find them

So I was talking to Trilt a little bit ago, and she told me a really interesting "hint" she left about STL's conversion that nobody caught (or that wolves caught and didn't tell the thread haha).

So someone broke @SummerTheLynx 's leg/ underwent trauma and apparently if you knew that, you could read that in the CBC/Chem panel through the high CPK level! So the more you know apparently!

View attachment 216394
I saw it and had a mini heart attack but STL assured me no one else would point it out :D

Reactions: 1 users

View attachment 216394

@Trilt I just wanted to say this was such a cool idea!!

CK? Not really in a 'healthy' animal that I can remember. Large down neuro patients, HBC, BDLD, tying up horses, rarely post surgical colic are what come to mind. I've read before that anorectic cats it can increase, possibly due to muscle catabolism, but I haven't recognized that myself and idk how high that would get (I doubt >10k). Severe sample hemolysis could interfere with the analyzer for CK. Or data entry error or something.

I've seen CK that high (or higher) before in patients with immune mediated polymyositis. Interestingly during my neuro internship we had 3 cats we treated for it. Most had fairly subtle signs of muscle atrophy and just kind of ADR, not wanting to jump as much.

Reactions: 1 users
I've seen CK that high (or higher) before in patients with immune mediated polymyositis. Interestingly during my neuro internship we had 3 cats we treated for it. Most had fairly subtle signs of muscle atrophy and just kind of ADR, not wanting to jump as much.
This fun factoid/differential has stuck in my head since this game. Haven't seen one yet. :p

CKs that high in humans are usually neuroleptic malignant syndrome, which is all sorts of fun. I caught a case and got a poster credit out of it because it's so rare