Weill Cornell vs. Northwestern (Feinberg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cornell or Northwestern?

• Cornell

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Northwestern

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

willow88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All! I feel incredibly grateful to have received acceptances to both of these schools. I am having a very difficult time choosing between them!

Curriculum: Very similar (condensed, systems based, PBL). Northwestern's curriculum is still pretty new but Cornell's is brand spankin' new (we will be guinea pigs!).

Location: NYC vs. Chicago. Both are very cool cities, and I have lived in NYC for a while, so maybe it is time for a change? However, I did notice that in terms of match lists (both of which are excellent) Cornell graduates match more to the east coast while Northwestern graduates match more to the midwest (yes this is obvious and makes sense, but it does make me nervous if I decide I want to return to the east coast).

Cost: Should be about the same.

Feel: I got a good sense of community at both schools.

Other stuff: I am interested in pediatrics and oncology (and also pediatric oncology). Northwestern has a phenomenal new children's hospital but Cornell has an affiliation with Sloan-Kettering.

I would appreciate your thoughts. Perhaps there are some other factors I should be considering or important things about the schools that I have overlooked. Thanks so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in at both and am choosing cornell. Both are great, with cornell having the greater reputation in medicine I would say.

I say northwestern. I think it is always okay to have a change in scene. Cornell may have an edge for reputation but northwestern is a powerhouse. It is next to some of the best graduate schools if you are looking to get a dual degree. From what I hear, students are clinically very well trained and score extremely well on their board exams. If you are looking to do residency outside of Midwest, northwestern is not going to hinder you from that.

Members don't see this ad :)
in terms of quality of city life, hands down northwestern. Its in the heart of chicago. WCMC on the otherhand is in the upper east side, which is by far the most boring part of NYC in my opinion. In terms of residency placement, you really cant go wrong. Both will help you land somewhere good. in fact, being at northwestern might be an advantage for you since residency directors dont wanna choose everyone who studied in the same city/general area.

I say northwestern. I think it is always okay to have a change in scene. Cornell may have an edge for reputation but northwestern is a powerhouse. It is next to some of the best graduate schools if you are looking to get a dual degree. From what I hear, students are clinically very well trained and score extremely well on their board exams. If you are looking to do residency outside of Midwest, northwestern is not going to hinder you from that.
Keep in mind WCMC has Sloan-Kettering, NYP, HSS, and rockerfeller right on its doorsteps. That is tough to beat. Honestly both are great. For me, I like global health and am interested in cancer research, so Cornell made the most sense. It's amazing name recognition and reputation doesn't hurt either (although NU is good in both categories). I am an international student so if I ever choose to leave the US and do some work abroad, I know that a WCMC md degree will go a long way

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Cornell has better affiliations, higher ranking, and stronger east-coast-matchalization

I'd pick Feinberg. I am actually matriculating at Feinberg myself in the Fall, so I am a little biased. Can't beat the unbelievable location + reputation. Their class size has been decreasing over the years due to their new PBL heavy curriculum (smaller class size . Northwestern is often overlooked because of other top-tiered schools, but they are definitely a school to look out for in the years to come. It may take a few years, a decade or longer, but I think they are definitely committed to improving and to move up to that next level with the other elite institutions in the top 10.

Rankings between Cornell and NW is negligible. And based on USNWs residency director's score, they are virtually the same. But, I wouldn't be surprised if NW continues to climb into the top 15 or top 10 in the years to come because of this: http://magazine.northwesternmedicine.org/winter-2013-14/campus-news/perkins-will-selected-architect/

--"Northwestern plans to construct approximately 600,000 square feet of research space starting in 2015 with eventual buildout of approximately 1.2 million square feet..."

--"Construction of the new state-of-the-art center will create thousands of jobs, help find tomorrow’s cures and generate approximately $3.9 billion in economic activity in Chicago in the coming decade."

If you are someone who cares about the rankings, then I'd say NW is only going to move up in the rankings. With that absolutely stunning building (shown in the link), their research/research activity will only increase and get better!

That's just my $0.02. You can't go wrong with either choice though :)

If you really want peds go where it's less expensive and do a couple away rotations where you want to match. If you're thinking of Rad Onc, go to Cornell and call the residency director at Sloan Kettering before you even start and get started with research.

I'd pick Feinberg. I am actually matriculating at Feinberg myself in the Fall, so I am a little biased. Can't beat the unbelievable location + reputation. Their class size has been decreasing over the years due to their new PBL heavy curriculum (smaller class size . Northwestern is often overlooked because of other top-tiered schools, but they are definitely a school to look out for in the years to come. It may take a few years, a decade or longer, but I think they are definitely committed to improving and to move up to that next level with the other elite institutions in the top 10.

Rankings between Cornell and NW is negligible. And based on USNWs residency director's score, they are virtually the same. But, I wouldn't be surprised if NW continues to climb into the top 15 or top 10 in the years to come because of this: http://magazine.northwesternmedicine.org/winter-2013-14/campus-news/perkins-will-selected-architect/

--"Northwestern plans to construct approximately 600,000 square feet of research space starting in 2015 with eventual buildout of approximately 1.2 million square feet..."

--"Construction of the new state-of-the-art center will create thousands of jobs, help find tomorrow’s cures and generate approximately $3.9 billion in economic activity in Chicago in the coming decade."

If you are someone who cares about the rankings, then I'd say NW is only going to move up in the rankings. With that absolutely stunning building (shown in the link), their research/research activity will only increase and get better!

That's just my $0.02. You can't go wrong with either choice though :)
It's funny how all the positive things you've mentioned about Northwestern can also be said about Cornell, and some of them are actually better at Cornell :):
- "unbelievable location and reputation" is true for both schools :) (Chicago vs. NYC is a matter of individual preference, both are great cities; it's not like we're comparing Boston and Rochester, whether the one in NY or the one in MN);
- a relatively small class size (Cornell's class size is actually smaller than Northwestern's: 101 vs. 154 students);
- a new PBL heavy curriculum at both schools (which, to some people, may actually be a disadvantage); in fact, Cornell has been doing its PBL curriculum longer than Northwestern;
- and, speaking of curricula, I actually like Cornell's newest 1.5 preclinical +2.5 clinical better than the traditional 2+2 that Northwestern has (though I'm a little concerned about being a guinea pig for Cornell's new curriculum).

Plus, while it's great that Northwestern is building and improving and moving up the rankings etc., as you're saying, it's a school to "look out for in the years to come" and "it may take a few years, a decade or longer", but OP is going to school this August, not in a few years ((s)he'll be done with residency in a decade!), so it's a lot more relevant what's going on now. And, FYI, Cornell is building and expanding, too: there is that fancy new research building that will open this or next year; in fact, Cornell is building a biotech version of Silicon valley on Roosevelt island in NYC.

I'd say that Cornell and Feinberg are comparable in many aspects and that it will probably come down to differences in actual COA and individual location preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's funny how all the positive things you've mentioned about Northwestern can also be said about Cornell, and some of them are actually better at Cornell :):
- "unbelievable location and reputation" is true for both schools :) (Chicago vs. NYC is a matter of individual preference, both are great cities; it's not like we're comparing Boston and Rochester, whether the one in NY or the one in MN);
- a relatively small class size (Cornell's class size is actually smaller than Northwestern's: 101 vs. 154 students);
- a new PBL heavy curriculum at both schools (which, to some people, may actually be a disadvantage); in fact, Cornell has been doing its PBL curriculum longer than Northwestern;
- and, speaking of curricula, I actually like Cornell's newest 1.5 preclinical +2.5 clinical better than the traditional 2+2 that Northwestern has (though I'm a little concerned about being a guinea pig for Cornell's new curriculum).

Plus, while it's great that Northwestern is building and improving and moving up the rankings etc., as you're saying, it's a school to "look out for in the years to come" and "it may take a few years, a decade or longer", but OP is going to school this August, not in a few years ((s)he'll be done with residency in a decade!), so it's a lot more relevant what's going on now. And, FYI, Cornell is building and expanding, too: there is that fancy new research building that will open this or next year; in fact, Cornell is building a biotech version of Silicon valley on Roosevelt island in NYC.

I'd say that Cornell and Feinberg are comparable in many aspects and that it will probably come down to differences in actual COA and individual location preference.

You are right. I guess I was more emphasizing why I picked Northwestern Feinberg over some of my other choices. I don't know enough about Cornell to comment much on them. In OP's situation, Cornell and Northwestern are virtually equivalent in terms of prestige and reputation in the medical field (both within the United States and Internationally). OP, you won't go wrong with either choice. Like Amygdarya said, it's just a matter of preference: east coast vs. the midwest, differences in COA, and where you want to go for residency (thou I highly doubt either will prevent you from going anywhere you want).

Reactions: 1 user
Tough to beat MSK for oncology opportunities. Then again I'm on the wait list at feinberg, so maybe I'm biased towards pushing you to Cornell. But since I've started working in rad onc research it's impressive how much work is coming out of MSK

My goodness my goodness I wish I had these options when my application year ended.

To be perfectly frank, all things considered equal, a PD at Sinai will not distinguish between a Cornell graduate and a Feinberg graduate. Likewise, a PD at UChicago will not likely distinguish between a Feinberg graduate and a Cornell graduate. If you want to go back to NYC after your finish at Feinberg, if you're a solid applicant, nothing will hold you back. Likewise, if you go to Cornell and decide you want to then complete your residency in Chicago, as long as your application is in order, nothing will hold you back. Match lists are very self-selecting in and of themselves, and it is likely possible that a significant number of Cornell students wanted to remain in the NYC metro area / east coast, and only applied/ranked residencies in the region. Same goes for Feinberg probably.

Best of luck with your decision and in medical school!

Stay thirsty my friends.

Tough to beat MSK for oncology opportunities. Then again I'm on the wait list at feinberg, so maybe I'm biased towards pushing you to Cornell. But since I've started working in rad onc research it's impressive how much work is coming out of MSK

How do you feel about Peppers going up to GB?

You say you felt good with the community at both schools, which I interpret as you see yourself being happy and supported at both locations. If the cost will be about the same, then I believe it will come down to your goals. Neither will limit your options, but if your goal is to match in a particular area (Midwest vs East), you will have more opportunities to get your foot in the door in that community, rather than relying on away rotations. Personally, I find NYC to be a better location than Chicago.