Trying to decide Btw Duke and UW, seattle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ge0MX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have just been accepted at Duke and UW. I am very interested in Opthalmology.

I wanted to know which med school would be the best choice for me.

P.S , if i go to UW it would end up cheaper for me than going to Duke,

any thoughts please?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought Duke doesn't accept students until March...

I thought Duke doesn't accept students until March...

I did not apply to Duke; however, I have a friend who interviewed there and said they don't tell anyone about their status until March too...

Members don't see this ad :)
ur right, but my interview went pretty solid, the guy actually said i hope you choose our school and in terms of stat i think im a good match, i know it doesn't mean i got in, but UW im accepted, and this is other really top choice of mine.

any thought on what school is better for somebody interested in ophthalmology?

thanks

ur right, but my interview went pretty solid, the guy actually said i hope you choose our school and in terms of stat i think im a good match, i know it doesn't mean i got in, but UW im accepted, and this is other really top choice of mine.

thanks

you realize it doesn't matter what your interview says, unless you have a formal acceptance from the program, right? interviews are usually only piece of the puzzle...the committee has the final say.

thanks

I doubt it matters significantly such that your choice should be influenced by which one provides you a better chance into optho. As I understand, UW sends more people into primary care than most schools, though that's b/c many students opt to go into those fields, and UW also does perfectly well in specialties too. Doing well on step 1, having good clinical letters and possibly some research is what will go the farthest way at either school.

That being said, which did you like more? Is Duke really worth the extra 100,000 K over your state? I don't mean that as a loaded question, but you should figure out where you fit-in better. Do you like Durham; how was the student body, , social-scene, hospitals, rotations, curriculum (I heard Duke has that shortened 1 year curriculum and then 3 yrs of clinicals but I could be wrong).

thanks

wowwwwwww are you kidding me? child plz. so you come post that you've been accepted to Duke. Now you retract b/c you're telling us your interview went well. Sounds somewhat arrogant. I'm not trying to be a punk, but my point is just b/c an interview went well doesn't mean you'll get in. They look at your whole application again, vote, etc. There have been times when interviews have gone well and people don't get in vice versa. If you go to an interview day at a school where the interviews are relaxed, conversational, it's most likely that most applicants will say "my interview went well." That's a good sign, but still it does not mean you're in.

wowwwwwww are you kidding me? child plz. so you come post that you've been accepted to Duke. Now you retract b/c you're telling us your interview went well. Sounds somewhat arrogant. I'm not trying to be a punk, but my point is just b/c an interview went well doesn't mean you'll get in. They look at your whole application again, vote, etc. There have been times when interviews have gone well and people don't get in vice versa. If you go to an interview day at a school where the interviews are relaxed, conversational, it's most likely that most applicants will say "my interview went well." That's a good sign, but still it does not mean you're in.

Okay, we get it. He wasn't accepted. Leave him alone. There is no need to lecture him.

It really depends on you. If you are one of those prestige buffs, then Duke is for you. I had a similar issue with two different schools. I made a huge pros and cons sheet. I tried to weigh the chart though. For example, I added two plusses on some pros and only one on other pros.

If anything, you should ask close family and friends, not a bunch of strangers on SDN. You don't know these people from a can of paint. Think hard about it, pray on it, and make a decision. :D

Duke, if you get in.

Last edited:
My bad man, not trying to be arrogant at all, I was just trying to see how i should choose.

thanks for all your help guys, im gonna make my own pros and cons lists.

good advice.

For me, it would come down to a couple of things.

First, is the Duke 'name' truly worth considerably more in tuition? I have had the good fortune to consider degree programs at some of the best universities in the nation. While my initial gut reaction was to go with the Ivy options, the prestige factor became irrelevant pretty quickly when I considered academic quality. Once I established that academic quality across my options was equivalent, I considered location, class, opportunities offered by the schools, curricula, etc.

Duke and UW are ranked the same in research and UW is a superior primary care/clinical institution. So, they are both prestigious in the medical world and one could argue UW has the edge. Anyone in the medical community understands UW's reputation and unless you're worried about what Average Joe thinks (not suggesting you actually do), that's all that should matter.

A second consideration is whether one or the other provides clearly better opportunities for your specialty of interest. Is there a particular faculty member (or a department) at one that will give you the chance to get involved the other won't?

For me, pros/cons lists are helpful in framing big points but I don't think your decision is suddenly going to become clearer.

Keep in mind that Duke accepts less than 25% of the people they interview.

Also, I would think the huge differences in curriculum would be the main deciding factor. Do you want to take "two years" worth of classes in a single year and spend an entire year performing research, or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
The research year is flexible and does not need to be bench work, or scientific work for that matter.

Some students use that year to get a dual-degree.

The research year is flexible and does not need to be bench work, or scientific work for that matter.

This is true. Regardless, I still would think that would be the biggest deciding factor.

yeah i talked to couple of the students at duke, 4th year they seemed to like it, and they use that (3rd year) time to study really well for their usmle 1 which is a huge factor for residency,,

ophthalmology:
2010 residency match list for uw was 1
2010 residency match list for duke 12

but the problem lies, im from california, and uw will give me in state tuition starting from first YEAR!!!! close to cali, my uncle lives in washington so its not like im completely alone,

and.... i looked at optho residents at uw, out 4, 2 were from uw, they seem favor their own students, but ive heard duke has that too....

also you cant based residency match list on how the school is, ive talked to ophthalmologist at UCI (undergrad school) theyve said , both are extremely good (top 10) go where you are happy,

im happy at both............

thanks

The "should I go to X or Y" threads are incredibly annoying and self-absorbed.

If you start one when you haven't even been accepted, it is pathological.

Also, how can you possibly know that you are interested in something you haven't even studied yet? Absurd.

The "should I go to X or Y" threads are incredibly annoying and self-absorbed.

If you start one when you haven't even been accepted, it is pathological.

Also, how can you possibly know that you are interested in something you haven't even studied yet? Absurd.

If I am not mistaken, student doctor network is the perfect place for premed students to research various medical schools and discover which one fits them best. These are forums, you know, the place where people have discussions. To be quite honest, I think it is very self-absorbed for someone to think he or she is above certain thread topics and feels that it is his or her sole obligation to monitor the threads and share their disgust. These types of comments are clearly unsolicited and unnecessary.

Why are you here? Say something constructive or leave. If someone needs help with an issue, he or she should feel comfortable going to SDN and seeking advice and tips about medical schools.

I know everyone is wondering why I am sticking up for the op so much. I am actually about to start one of these type of topics pretty soon to discuss my medical future. :laugh:

Duke has a really top researcher in opthamology.. Dr. Jaffe...
not sure EXACTLy what he does, but I think he's a leader in opthamology research of some type

keep in mind that duke has a one-year med education program, which may leave your foundation a little shaky (based on what I've heard from med students there). UW, on the other hand seems to focus on rural medicine.

Hi Guys,

I have just been accepted at Duke and UW. I am very interested in Opthalmology.

any thoughts please?

You will never get into an ophthalmology program until you learn how to spell it.:laugh:

If I am not mistaken, student doctor network is the perfect place for premed students to research various medical schools and discover which one fits them best. These are forums, you know, the place where people have discussions. To be quite honest, I think it is very self-absorbed for someone to think he or she is above certain thread topics and feels that it is his or her sole obligation to monitor the threads and share their disgust. These types of comments are clearly unsolicited and unnecessary.

Why are you here? Say something constructive or leave. If someone needs help with an issue, he or she should feel comfortable going to SDN and seeking advice and tips about medical schools.

I know everyone is wondering why I am sticking up for the op so much. I am actually about to start one of these type of topics pretty soon to discuss my medical future. :laugh:

okay, yes, but the tc could just as easily (and with less backlash) have made this thread once they were accepted to both schools, and it would be much more realistic. there is no sense making a topic before you've been accepted, you're just getting your hopes up and on everyone's nerves.

Last edited:
okay, yes, but the tc could just as easily (and with less backlash) have made this thread once they were accepted to both schools, and it would be much more realistic. there is no sense making a topic before you've been accepted, you're just getting your hopes up and on everyone's nerves.

Correct. What if everyone who is as self-absorbed as the OP (like 99.9% of SDNers) did this? The site would become littered with farfetched hypotheticals.

"I had a really good interview at Harvard and Johns Hopkins: which one should I choose?"

"If I get into NYU, what clothes should I buy for NY winters?"

"Do I need a car in Boston, if I get into a Boston med school?"

"I'm mad at my boyfriend because he won't move to Philadelphia and I might get into Penn. What should I do?"

This is kinda fun. Any more entries?

Last edited:

Last edited:
Correct. What if everyone who is as self-absorbed as the OP (like 99.9% of SDNers) did this? The site would become littered with farfetched hypotheticals.

"I had a really good interview at Harvard and Johns Hopkins: which one should I choose?"

"If I get into NYU, what clothes should I buy for NY winters?"

"Do I need a car in Boston, if I get into a Boston med school?"

"I'm mad at my boyfriend because he won't move to Philadelphia and I might get into Penn. What should I do?"

This is kinda fun. Any more entries?

I think the OP had good reason to make this thread in the first place. He's already accepted to one school and wants to weigh the positives and negatives of that one and Duke. Yes, it's presumptous that he will get in to Duke, but who cares? If he doesn't, he goes to UW...if he does get in, well, he'll have researched the school and will have used more time to make an informed decision between those two schools. Why wait until March to start comparing the two? If he doesn't (which I agree is a distinct possibility) get in, it's only going to be his dissapointment that he was too cocky.

Lots of people think ahead about certain things even if they are not yet locked up/guaranteed. When I receive an interview, I certainly think long and hard about what it would be like to live in that city, if i would pick it over a school I am already accepted, or whether "I would need a car" should I attend there if accepted.

You're a med student, so I'm not referring to you, but I think a lot of the bitterness towards the OP is a result of edgy pre-meds who don't have an acceptance locked up yet, and are lashing out.

geoMX,

where did you get those residency match ranks? I would be curious to see other schools.

geoMX,

where did you get those residency match ranks? I would be curious to see other schools.

First of all, My intention as i said b/4 was in no way of being cocky. Patel absolutley got it right, i was just trying to research the schools!!,

in terms of those two schools match lists, they were provided to me by the schools during my interview day. however, you can look them up yourself on the school search engines. any school your interested you can start by googling it. also the MSAR book has the match lists of all schools also.

Status
Not open for further replies.