RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done it when I was in my early 20's. I was too irresponsible at the time. Though sometimes I feel like my brain is too old for vet school now, I'm still doing ok, and I feel like if I can make it through this next semester, then I'll be ok (I keep telling myself that after every semester!) I love my class though, and I don't ever feel excluded because of my age, some even seem to respect my opinions on things because of it. I would have liked to get accepted a few years ago, but I guess I'm glad I didn't because now my son is in college, so I don't feel guilty about missing things in his life now.
It's nice to hear that you are doing ok, even if it isn't easy, and that it's not super weird being older than the average.

In what ways do you feel your brain is too old for vet school? I'm kind of nervous about information overload / being able to memorize massive amounts of stuff. I figure I can handle the workload, but memorizing large amounts of information seems harder now that I'm older

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I have to admit, my brain being too old is what scares me too.

Members don't see this ad.

In what ways do you feel your brain is too old for vet school? I'm kind of nervous about information overload / being able to memorize massive amounts of stuff. I figure I can handle the workload, but memorizing large amounts of information seems harder now that I'm older

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I've never been great at massive memorization and now it's even harder to motivate myself to sit for hours studying. I got better at it second year though. I also physically can't stay up really late studying. At some point my brain says, you are reading this, but nothing it sticking, go to bed! So I do.

Reactions: 3 users
Finally finished the first major draft of my onco case report and submitted it to my supervisor! :soexcited:Hopefully he approves of it and we can get it edited and submitted to the journal for publication.

And now, for the most part, I can just relax and do small part-time things for work for the rest of this summer. :)

If the "he" you are referring to in this is one of the onco clinicians... I miss that guy, he's absolutely amazing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've never been great at massive memorization and now it's even harder to motivate myself to sit for hours studying. I got better at it second year though. I also physically can't stay up really late studying. At some point my brain says, you are reading this, but nothing it sticking, go to bed! So I do.
Even with finishing a few prereqs, I discovered that sleep is super important!!! I can't do all-nighters anymore either.

I never could do them
Basically a grandma in a 23 year olds body. Though my joints are probably grandma level....
Ugh, don't get me started on joints. Although thank goodness I'm not a grandma :laugh: All-nighters are bad news anyway, don't pick up the habit.

Ugh, don't get me started on joints. Although thank goodness I'm not a grandma :laugh: All-nighters are bad news anyway, don't pick up the habit.
Yep my knees crackle like pop rocks when I squat all the way down (like as far as my knees will bend) and then stand back up, I can pop my hips out of joint, I currently have a large disc bulge that's pressing on S1 and a bit on S2 and causing sciatica, I have ridiculously weak ankles that just roll whenever they feel like it (reason why I can't wear heels), and my hips, knees, shoulders, and elbows just crack and pop whenever they feel like it. It really is a lot of fun :dead:

I burned myself out on all nighters in high school. Maybe did a couple in undergrad to finish papers. These days I only pull all nighters for entertainment. Studying? Nah.
I thought I did too but then I did 3 back to back all nighters for UG second year and then a couple others scattered around.

I'm definitely not as good of them as I was in high school though.

It's kinda rant and a rave rolled in one, but the rave is much better than the rant:

So I've been dealing with jaw surgery recovery diet for almost 5 weeks now, and I've lost a considerable amount of weight- 17 pounds (yay no chew diet). Which is great and all!!! It's definitely a great step for me in actually eating well and becoming fit.

But when I went to tell my friends from my sorority how excited I was to have lost the weight, I was scolded for promoting unsafe weight loss techniques and contributing to society's body dysmorphia. It's just ridiculous and I needed a place to rave/ rant about it. :yeahright:

Yep my knees crackle like pop rocks when I squat all the way down (like as far as my knees will bend) and then stand back up, I can pop my hips out of joint, I currently have a large disc bulge that's pressing on S1 and a bit on S2 and causing sciatica, I have ridiculously weak ankles that just roll whenever they feel like it (reason why I can't wear heels), and my hips, knees, shoulders, and elbows just crack and pop whenever they feel like it. It really is a lot of fun :dead:
Ugh!! I hope your back gets better soon.

It's kinda rant and a rave rolled in one, but the rave is much better than the rant:

So I've been dealing with jaw surgery recovery diet for almost 5 weeks now, and I've lost a considerable amount of weight- 17 pounds (yay no chew diet). Which is great and all!!! It's definitely a great step for me in actually eating well and becoming fit.

But when I went to tell my friends from my sorority how excited I was to have lost the weight, I was scolded for promoting unsafe weight loss techniques and contributing to society's body dysmorphia. It's just ridiculous and I needed a place to rave/ rant about it. :yeahright:
That is ridiculous!! Congratulations on your weight loss, seems like a small bright spot from what must have been a super not fun surgery/recovery.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That is ridiculous!! Congratulations on your weight loss, seems like a small bright spot from what must have been a super not fun surgery/recovery.
Hahaha wasn't it ridiculous? I singlehandedly, am destroying society. I'm short and I have to climb on counters to reach things and struggle opening most lids, but apparently I have the power to destroy all.

I can kinda understand her point because I phrased it like a joke- it was like "Weight loss hack: having your jaw broken open is an easy way to lose weight- I've lost 13 pounds in 3 weeks". I needed to make jokes because I was miserable. But still. No one's going to purposefully have jaw surgery to lose weight.

It's been nice! The funny thing is when people ask me what I eat for the weight loss. Lots and lots of pasta. :laugh: I typically have one pasta dish a day- it's like the only thing I can eat. These poor fools are gonna go on the pasta diet to try to copy me.

Hahaha wasn't it ridiculous? I singlehandedly, am destroying society. I'm short and I have to climb on counters to reach things and struggle opening most lids, but apparently I have the power to destroy all.

I can kinda understand her point because I phrased it like a joke- it was like "Weight loss hack: having your jaw broken open is an easy way to lose weight- I've lost 13 pounds in 3 weeks". I needed to make jokes because I was miserable. But still. No one's going to purposefully have jaw surgery to lose weight.

It's been nice! The funny thing is when people ask me what I eat for the weight loss. Lots and lots of pasta. :laugh: I typically have one pasta dish a day- it's like the only thing I can eat. These poor fools are gonna go on the pasta diet to try to copy me.
New fad diet: Jaw surgery and pasta!

Reactions: 2 users

Heck, it's even doctor supervised!!

Um, you're following Dr's instructions, Egg, I don't see how that's unhealthy or setting a bad example . . .

Um, you're following Dr's instructions, Egg, I don't see how that's unhealthy or setting a bad example . . .
It's not in her case but typically losing that much weight quickly is bad because your body can't adapt as fast and you're more likely to gain it back and have health effects

@LetItSnow I just heard ... it is your birthday today.

Happy Birthday! :)

BirthdayPolarBear (1).gif

Reactions: 3 users
why does Jaw surgery & pasta remind me of Netflix & chill???
Heck, it's even doctor supervised!!
So true! They weigh me once a week, so they make sure I'm not losing too much/ still getting good nutrition.
unhealthy weight loss can be a really bad thing. She sad:

"discussing rapid weightloss and an unhealthy manner can have a seriously negative effect on people." Granted everyone should be able to realize it's a joke, but still.
It's not in her case but typically losing that much weight quickly is bad because your body can't adapt as fast and you're more likely to gain it back and have health effects
I completely agree. And I would never encourage this diet if it wasn't absolutely necessary (aka doctor's orders) But for me, rapid weight loss was bound to happen (not eating as much/ as often/ as unhealthy of foods). Hopefully I can keep it going (at a slower pace lol) and not bounce back.

why does Jaw surgery & pasta remind me of Netflix & chill???
So true! They weigh me once a week, so they make sure I'm not losing too much/ still getting good nutrition.
unhealthy weight loss can be a really bad thing. She sad:

"discussing rapid weightloss and an unhealthy manner can have a seriously negative effect on people." Granted everyone should be able to realize it's a joke, but still.
I completely agree. And I would never encourage this diet if it wasn't absolutely necessary (aka doctor's orders) But for me, rapid weight loss was bound to happen (not eating as much/ as often/ as unhealthy of foods). Hopefully I can keep it going (at a slower pace lol) and not bounce back.
I didn't mean to imply you had a choice. It seems like looking at the bright side of a trying situation shouldn't be looked down on.

After my back surgery I lost like 8 lbs because I had no appetite and also hospital food for longer than expected. It wasn't by choice but I'm better for it. Also have managed to keep it off and lose more so it's doable :)

Reactions: 4 users
I didn't mean to imply you had a choice. It seems like looking at the bright side of a trying situation shouldn't be looked down on.

After my back surgery I lost like 8 lbs because I had no appetite and also hospital food for longer than expected. It wasn't by choice but I'm better for it. Also have managed to keep it off and lose more so it's doable :)
No I wasn't implying that you were implying that. I was completely agreeing with you!

Oh that's great!! I'm glad it's stayed off and you've been able to lose more!!

She sad:

It sounds like she might have been pointing out that discussions of weight loss can be triggering for people with eating disorders or body image issues. I don't think you said anything wrong, but that is true and it's very different from her accusing you of promoting unsafe weight loss (which is what you said originally). If I had to guess, she or someone close to her has/had an eating disorder and you touched a nerve. Nothing wrong with what you said, but I can see where she's coming from.

Reactions: 6 users
It sounds like she might have been pointing out that discussions of weight loss can be triggering for people with eating disorders or body image issues. I don't think you said anything wrong, but that is true and it's very different from her accusing you of promoting unsafe weight loss (which is what you said originally). If I had to guess, she or someone close to her has/had an eating disorder and you touched a nerve. Nothing wrong with what you said, but I can see where she's coming from.
she actually said a lot more but I just cut it out. I can see where she's coming from, but at the time it was super frustrating- primarily because I had been still bed/ recliner ridden, on a stupid amount of medications, and unable to actually eat without choking. It just... idk. If I promoted not eating/ eating 12 almonds I would completely agree with her, but in this situation it felt insensitive to my feelings as well.

Agreed, just like when we talked about it on rabbit. Probably being a lil oversensitive, but you're talking to a big group of people in the prime demographic for having eating disorders about having rapid weight loss... I can see the concern.

she actually said a lot more but I just cut it out. I can see where she's coming from, but at the time it was super frustrating- primarily because I had been still bed/ recliner ridden, on a stupid amount of medications, and unable to actually eat without choking. It just... idk. If I promoted not eating/ eating 12 almonds I would completely agree with her, but in this situation it felt insensitive to my feelings as well.

Totally! If she was concerned, I can imagine much, much better ways of her expressing that, especially since it sounds like she went on quite a rant and ignored your feelings.

I'm glad you're doing better!

Totally! If she was concerned, I can imagine much, much better ways of her expressing that, especially since it sounds like she went on quite a rant and ignored your feelings.

I'm glad you're doing better!
Thanks TPain. I am! I'm completely off medications too! Tomorrow marks 5 weeks! I get to start chewing next Wednesday!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Proud dog-mom moment of the day:
One of the dermatologists at school saw me walking the dog to the car, stopped, rolled down his car window, and told me that I had one of the best looking westies he's seen. Granted his client-base of westies is skewed to the ones with really severe skin disease, but yay for compliments on good skin and pretty fur! I guess those weekly baths are worth it.

Reactions: 9 users
I'm oddly happy that the nearest grocery store finally has unseasoned cauliflower florets in the frozen aisle. That is like boring adult ****, but, still, I'm happy. Plus, I bought some new products that sound promising, like a mashed sweet potato with carrot dish and a spicy black bean hummus dip.

I volunteered out at the diary with a research trial. The last time I did this was October, so of course when I woke up at 6:30 I was remembering how cold early morning were out there, how I'd need my wool socks, thickest jeans, and a good sweatshirt . . . get there and stand in the sun for a few minutes and remember that it's July, and a good deal hotter than October. :rolleyes: I took off my sweater but was stuck in my wool socks, jeans, and a black t-shirt for 5.5 hours. So that was fun.

The rave is that I had a ton of fun working with the cows. :love: They're setting up a really cool experiment and I was excited to help.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm oddly happy that the nearest grocery store finally has unseasoned cauliflower florets in the frozen aisle. That is like boring adult ****, but, still, I'm happy. Plus, I bought some new products that sound promising, like a mashed sweet potato with carrot dish and a spicy black bean hummus dip.
I get stupid excited over gocery store sales and interesting foods. I'm pretty sure I raved about finding tubed tomato paste here on sdn a couple years back lol. We can have silly life excitement together! :highfive:

Sent my dogs to doggie daycare this morning. They are going to have so much fun, I'm excited for them! Edit: Just got a report card for both of them and they are confirmed having a blast.

Last edited:
I get stupid excited over gocery store sales and interesting foods. I'm pretty sure I raved about finding tubed tomato paste here on sdn a couple years back lol. We can have silly life excitement together! :highfive:

Dude. My tubed ginger paste is a life saver. I could use sme tubed tomato paste though. I always but the can and only ever need like a tsp and then it goes to waste.

Sent my dogs to doggie daycare this morning. They are going to have so much fun, I'm excited for them! Edit: Just got a report card for both of them and they are confirmed having a blast.
Awwww!! @nohika used to send/ sends her dog to doggie daycare! I think she said she liked it a lot!

@cdoconn @SkiOtter Yup! Mocha goes a lot, and Chai will go as soon as she gets her last set of shots.

Which is August 7th. At 8am. Not that I'm counting down...

Mocha loves the staff and does well there, even if she throws a fit about going. :p It's definitely worth it!

Dude. My tubed ginger paste is a life saver. I could use sme tubed tomato paste though. I always but the can and only ever need like a tsp and then it goes to waste.
This is why I was so freaking excited by it lol. Always waste the whole damn thing for one recipe.

Brand is Centro and it is usually off to the side from the canned stuff. Don't buy their tube bouillon, it sucks. :p

My experiments in the lab all did what they were supposed to (for once) :soexcited:

It's been a summer of optimizing protocols so a lot of failures have occurred up to this point.

Reactions: 7 users
My mom sends our 1 year old dog (picture on left) to day care 4 days a week. She loves it! With me going off to college in a few weeks she will be happier there. It also gives the little papillon we have alone time at home (she is just a happy there).

I'm loving my summer job with the equine sports performance vet. I've been travelling with him to Santa Fe and working a hunter jumper show, playing polo, and just helping him out (his wife and her clients are competing). I have learned a lot about jumping, driven a huge trailer from Houston to Santa Fe for the first time ever, and just having a blast! Good break before college starts. I hope I can get a few hours a week working at the Horse Performance Center that just opened at school, even if it is just shoveling poop!

My mom sends our 1 year old dog (picture on left) to day care 4 days a week. She loves it! With me going off to college in a few weeks she will be happier there. It also gives the little papillon we have alone time at home (she is just a happy there).

I'm loving my summer job with the equine sports performance vet. I've been travelling with him to Santa Fe and working a hunter jumper show, playing polo, and just helping him out (his wife and her clients are competing). I have learned a lot about jumping, driven a huge trailer from Houston to Santa Fe for the first time ever, and just having a blast! Good break before college starts. I hope I can get a few hours a week working at the Horse Performance Center that just opened at school, even if it is just shoveling poop!
Just ordered a "20-pack" of doggie daycare visits for my pooches since the first one went so well. Both excited for them to have a dedicated play day every week and a teensy bit in shock at how much money I just spent. But I have a job now so I can afford these things right? Right?? o_O