RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My experiments in the lab all did what they were supposed to (for once) :soexcited:

It's been a summer of optimizing protocols so a lot of failures have occurred up to this point.
Can you send some of that mojo my way? ;) My summer has been similar, still haven't quite gotten things right yet

Members don't see this ad.

Can you send some of that mojo my way? ;) My summer has been similar, still haven't quite gotten things right yet

Well, the RNA extraction I just did on my brain tumor samples seems to have done away with the mojo, but you find it, let me know.

Time for troubleshooting.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just ordered a "20-pack" of doggie daycare visits for my pooches since the first one went so well. Both excited for them to have a dedicated play day every week and a teensy bit in shock at how much money I just spent. But I have a job now so I can afford these things right? Right?? o_O

Sweet!!! I found a doggie daycare a mile from me. It's 20 bucks for a full day. I'm definitely planning on taking my lab dog that I will *hopefully* adopt at the end of first year. I'm thinking of one day a week as well!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm all moved into my new place!!! It's almost 500 more square feet for roughly the same rent I had. Now to unpack and organize...

Reactions: 4 users
I'm all moved into my new place!!! It's almost 500 more square feet for roughly the same rent I had. Now to unpack and organize...

Nice. In Columbus?

When I moved away from campus into the 'burbs, I doubled my square footage but I ended up paying about $100 more per month.

Nice. In Columbus?

When I moved away from campus into the 'burbs, I doubled my square footage but I ended up paying about $100 more per month.
Yeah I actually just moved about 3 miles down the road, but it's absurd how much more space I get. I walked in and immediately thought "I have no idea how to fill all this space." I'm technically now in Dublin, but like the very very southern edge of it.

At my work this summer I've been scrubbing in on a lot of surgeries and have been able to spay/neuter patients by myself (while a dr is there supervising of course)... today one of the Dr was doing an abdominal cryptorchid who was not the most stable patient under anesthesia. While the dr was working on closing up the abdomen, which was being difficult for reasons, she asked me to come do the other normal testicle to help speed things along so we could wake him up sooner. It was pretty cool to be trusted like that and really showed that my hard work all summer has paid off.

Reactions: 22 users
I actually got to do three joint injections during my trip, under supervision of course! Now to drive the trailer home, go to MS for work for three days and then get ready to leave for college!

Reactions: 5 users
We took mock boards today. It's essentially a multi-institution practice test that they do once a year. I was told that someone who just finished first year should get a 30-40%. Crushed it and got a 61%! They also said it seemed a little easier than in the past but this is the first year they've completely reformatted the exam so there is no telling what it will actually be like. Still really happy with myself.

Reactions: 23 users
We took mock boards today. It's essentially a multi-institution practice test that they do once a year. I was told that someone who just finished first year should get a 30-40%. Crushed it and got a 61%! They also said it seemed a little easier than in the past but this is the first year they've completely reformatted the exam so there is no telling what it will actually be like. Still really happy with myself.
You're a clin path beast, Jayna! Way to go!

Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• wobbles.jpg
    wobbles.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 82
  • wobbles2.jpg
    wobbles2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: 12 users
Finally upgraded my phone today and I'm impressed with it so far. I've been with the Galaxy S series since it's initial release, so I just picked up the S8. Love how it feels and the new screen and love that it has a built in blue light filter for at night. Only just beginning to play around with it so I'm sure I'll find more things soon. I'm just glad to actually have a phone that is capable of downloading and running apps.

At my work this summer I've been scrubbing in on a lot of surgeries and have been able to spay/neuter patients by myself (while a dr is there supervising of course)... today one of the Dr was doing an abdominal cryptorchid who was not the most stable patient under anesthesia. While the dr was working on closing up the abdomen, which was being difficult for reasons, she asked me to come do the other normal testicle to help speed things along so we could wake him up sooner. It was pretty cool to be trusted like that and really showed that my hard work all summer has paid off.

So totally jealous @alohacat319
Sounds like you had a great experience this summer!

Reactions: 2 users
I AM ON VACATION!!

All that stands between me and a beach is a a seven hour drive. Getting a few hours of sleep and then headed out with the pups!
(Fingers crossed I don't murder the puppy - this will be her first car ride longer than an hour...)

Reactions: 8 users
I got to do a necropsy on my own last weekend! :D The pathologist was quizzing me a bit while we worked and I was pleasantly surprised with how many questions I could answer. I've been working here for almost a year so I'm glad I've picked up something. :p I only get to do this twice a year when we don't have students on, so this was my first necropsy since Christmas. It's so much fun to do all the things instead of watch/help. It was a blast.

Reactions: 10 users
I just found out I got a $5000 scholarship!!!!!

Reactions: 20 users
This is a small rave but a rave nonetheless. My mare and I have been working under my coach again after a year off. The difference is amazing. She's working so well. She's had zero lameness issues since she's been back on 24/7 turn out. She's such a genuine, talented, athletic little mare and I love her.

Reactions: 15 users
This is a small rave but a rave nonetheless. My mare and I have been working under my coach again after a year off. The difference is amazing. She's working so well. She's had zero lameness issues since she's been back on 24/7 turn out. She's such a genuine, talented, athletic little mare and I love her.
That's not a small rave at all, Coquette! That's great!

Discreet, eh? Even in a public restroom? No vampire hands?
I rarely get blood on my hands from it anymore. In fact I think I had more trouble being messy with tampons. But if I do get blood on me, I just wipe my hands off with tp and then wash my hands.

I find them a LOT more comfortable than tampons, and I can pee, swim and do yoga with it in, no problems!

What's so great about it?
More comfortable and reliable than tampons, way better for horseback riding. It would have been great for school because I could have just put it in the morning and forgotten about it until 12 hours later. Good for days like today where I'm run off my feet and getting to the bathroom is impossible.

ETA: I think I had vampire hands the first time I tried to remove it, nothing since I got the hang of it. I wore it riding for the first time and it's so much nicer. I find tampons slip and I get staining and discomfort, this thing was fine. I also find toward the end of my period with tampons everything is a little irritated and I have to leave the tampon out for a few hours, no such irritation with the cup.

Finished my last day of full time work today since orientation starts on Monday. I loved me job working with lab animals for a medical device company. I learned how to intubate and do catheter placements on pigs and sheep, anesthesia, recovery, and give medications! They've asked me to stay on so I will be mainly helping with weekend work and maybe some evening recovery shifts. Also made a connection with the lab animal vet who is amazing. Definitely strengthens my desire to become a lab animal vet!

Reactions: 8 users
This little tabby kitten was brought to my volunteer rescue group by a family who found the kitten abandoned in a wooded park. We think the kitten is about 2-3 weeks old (but we're not sure). What do you think?

The family wanted to keep the kitten. However, they weren't sure what to do next because the kitten wasn't eating canned kitten food or drinking water.

So, among other things, we showed the family how to bottle feed the kitten; the kitten happily welcomed the bottle of kitty formula. We also encouraged the family to meet with a veterinarian for further counsel and assistance.

All in all ... I'm very happy this abandoned kitten was found by a caring family. Now, the kitten has a forever home. :)

Kitten Stray.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
I got my hair cut/colored on Wednesday! I really like the way it looks (even if I can't replicate the way she curled my hair ever again)

IMG_3372.JPG
IMG_3374.JPG

Reactions: 13 users
I got my hair cut/colored on Wednesday! I really like the way it looks (even if I can't replicate the way she curled my hair ever again)

View attachment 222513 View attachment 222514

It's SO CUTE. I've been wanting to do something just like that before starting school but I also can't ever style my own hair. Then, I end up enjoying my cut for like... 2 days.

It's SO CUTE. I've been wanting to do something just like that before starting school but I also can't ever style my own hair. Then, I end up enjoying my cut for like... 2 days.
Thank you!!!! It still looks good straight. I mean. Not as good, but still good!!

Thank you!!!! It still looks good straight. I mean. Not as good, but still good!!

Not kidding, I miiiiight use these pictures when for when I go if that wouldn't creep you out!

Not kidding, I miiiiight use these pictures when for when I go if that wouldn't creep you out!
I read this at first that you were going to use the photos as yourself (aka cat fishing someone) and I was worried. But yeah! No problem! Here's straight! (It's not really styled lol just brushed through haha)

IMG_3459.JPG

I read this at first that you were going to use the photos as yourself (aka cat fishing someone) and I was worried. But yeah! No problem! Here's straight! (It's not really styled lol just brushed through haha)

View attachment 222521

LOL. Deffy not cat fishing egg! But I like bringing photos in when I get my hair done. I honestly feel like I need to learn how to curl my hair now that I'm an adult. Haha.

LOL. Deffy not cat fishing egg! But I like bringing photos in when I get my hair done. I honestly feel like I need to learn how to curl my hair now that I'm an adult. Haha.
I like bringing in photos too! I probably should learn how to curl mine as well, but I just have so much hair. It makes it really frustrating. :laugh:

Ugh when you hang out with a really good guy friend and you end up having feelings..... friend zone woes :oops: #foreveralone

edit: Guess I should've put this in the rant thread.. oh well lol

I ended up at an Urgent Care last Monday because my back pain had finally gotten to be too much. I had the best doctor. He prescribed me a course of Prednisone and Cyclobenazaprine, took x-rays, and recommended following up with my GP to discuss an MRI. I woke up today entirely PAIN FREE for the first time in a 6 months. I honestly think I forgot what not feeling pain in my back was like. I seriously feel like I have my life back! And this doctor was basically like -- IF you ended up needed spinal surgery, you are young and the location of your pain (L5) has a good chance for recovery, and nowadays surgery is incredibly non-invasive. He even recommended someone to see if the area. I was floored with how awesome this random Urgent Care doctor was.

I just hope my GP will agree with an MRI so we can get to the bottom of it. He didn't want to do any diagnostics until I failed physical therapy but I was in too much pain to even make it to PT.

Reactions: 5 users
XtQ4hsZ.jpg

I accidentally fell head over heels for my foster puppy. Definitely failing with this one.

Reactions: 18 users
I ended up at an Urgent Care last Monday because my back pain had finally gotten to be too much. I had the best doctor. He prescribed me a course of Prednisone and Cyclobenazaprine, took x-rays, and recommended following up with my GP to discuss an MRI. I woke up today entirely PAIN FREE for the first time in a 6 months. I honestly think I forgot what not feeling pain in my back was like. I seriously feel like I have my life back! And this doctor was basically like -- IF you ended up needed spinal surgery, you are young and the location of your pain (L5) has a good chance for recovery, and nowadays surgery is incredibly non-invasive. He even recommended someone to see if the area. I was floored with how awesome this random Urgent Care doctor was.

I just hope my GP will agree with an MRI so we can get to the bottom of it. He didn't want to do any diagnostics until I failed physical therapy but I was in too much pain to even make it to PT.
I'm glad you got a super good doctor at urgent care!!!! And I'm SUPER glad you woke up pain free!!!!!!!
(Also, lol your pain is like one above mine, at S1/S2. TWINSIES AGAIN)

This little tabby kitten was brought to my volunteer rescue group by a family who found the kitten abandoned in a wooded park. We think the kitten is about 2-3 weeks old (but we're not sure). What do you think?

General rule of thumb: kittens weigh approximately 1lb for every month in age. For example: if (s)he weighs 1lb, approximately 4 weeks old and so on.

Just found out I only have to pay in state tuition instead of the out of state rate for the next four years!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 13 users