RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So last year in May my parents got in a really crazy and life changing car crash (Several surgeries for both of them, neither or them were ambulatory for quite some time, my dad had several post-op complications including a PTE and fell into congestive heart failure...).

Well, today was the day of the final surgery for my dad. It had a lot of big scary risks, and everyone in my family was on edge, waiting for the news that would eclipse our entire world...

But the surgery came and went and everything went fabulously!!! I can't express how happy we all are! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 27 users
I had a really cool day shadowing in a virology lab at the vet school. :D The grad student I'm shadowing is so great, and I feel so lucky to be able to follow her around and pester her with questions. I got to hang out there all day today, and I'll be there twice a week for the immediate future. I've been trying to find research experience since February and I'm so happy this just fell together!

Reactions: 8 users
-My mom is getting married to this really really amazing man

-My sis is pregnant

-I began helping in surgeries at the vet clinic I've been volunteering my services at for 6 + years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm spending a day this week with over 50 exotic cats (tigers, leopards, ocelots, jaguars, lynx, bobcats, etc.).

It will be a PURRR-fect day - especially for me! :)

tiger.gif

Reactions: 12 users
Have the opportunity to work in a blood brain barrier lab this semester! Also seriously considering doing a dual DVM/MS degree in possibly pathology, infectious disease, or animal welfare. I'm wanting to become a lab animal veterinarian. I'm hoping a MS will look good for residency when applying so that I could extend to a PhD during residency. Does anyone have any thoughts and would getting a MS degree have a stipend or tuition assistance?

Reactions: 2 users
Have the opportunity to work in a blood brain barrier lab this semester! Also seriously considering doing a dual DVM/MS degree in possibly pathology, infectious disease, or animal welfare. I'm wanting to become a lab animal veterinarian. I'm hoping a MS will look good for residency when applying so that I could extend to a PhD during residency. Does anyone have any thoughts and would getting a MS degree have a stipend or tuition assistance?
Most MS programs I've found don't offer any tuition waiver or stipend. Actually, of the 30-some I've looked into this spring, only 2 or 3 do. Typically assistance is only offered to PhD students, though you might find some scholarships, or you might have a PI who can pay you.

Reactions: 2 users
My vet is the on-call vet for our state fair. It's super exciting.
-Full access pass for me. It's SUPER official with my name, photo, and vet tech as my position
-I get VIP access to view the Budweiser Draft team and other animals including exotics of all sorts
-Supervised and with trainer permission I got to play with rescued sea lions today (I'm in a landlocked state so this is awesome):happy:

Reactions: 7 users
Husband is bringing home a bottle calf tomorrow!! (Freemartin angus, 2.5 wks old)

Reactions: 4 users
Got a 100 on the infamous UPenn radiology end-of-rotation exam that the other students on the rotation told me they heard was really difficult, which it was! I hope the radiologists remember that in a year when I'm applying for residency :p:xf::xf:

Reactions: 10 users
Registered for the feline practitioner's conference this fall and I'm excited to add more badges to my crazy cat lady sash. :D
Yay!

I have an exam the Monday after and I'm so sad. I wanna go!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a 100 on the infamous UPenn radiology end-of-rotation exam that the other students on the rotation told me they heard was really difficult, which it was! I hope the radiologists remember that in a year when I'm applying for residency :p:xf::xf:
That's so awesome!! Way to go :D

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome, way to go!

Great work @allygator13!
Very happy for you - congratulations! :highfive:

2 months ago I started my diet.. down 33.6 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meeting with my recruiter next week to see where I'm at on the body fat percentage.

Reactions: 11 users
-None of my family + friends were affected by Harvey, thank goodness..

-Just returned from a kickboxing tournament. Earned a silver medal. To celebrate my success and return, my loving boyfriend printed my face on a t-shirt.

-I was having some serious chronic pains and fatigue. I met with a rhumatologist and she gave me Plaquenil. It helps a TON. My pain is almost entirely gone. I'm still slightly tired, but feel much better when I take caffeine.

-Today was the busiest (and best) day at the vet clinic so far. I helped in four (!) surgeries: two tumor removals and two neuters. I felt so great, but was totally exhausted (In fact, I was so tired that I fell asleep on the couch as soon as I got home still in my surgical scrubs).

-My uncle (a brilliant large animal veterinarian) invited me to intern / job shadow him for a week. We still haven't figured out when, as we're both a little too busy at the moment (him with his job + training residents and I with school, kickboxing and volunteering at the vet clinic). My guess is it won't probably be until next summer. Regardless, this is definitely something I'm looking forward to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
-Just returned from a kickboxing tournament. Earned a silver medal. To celebrate my success and return, my loving boyfriend printed my face on a t-shirt.

-I was having some serious chronic pains and fatigue. I met with a rhumatologist and she gave me Plaquenil. It helps a TON. My pain is almost entirely gone. I'm still slightly tired, but feel much better when I take caffeine.

-Today was the busiest (and best) day at the vest clinic so far. I helped in four (!) surgeries. In fact, I was so tired that I fell asleep on the sofa as soon as I got home without changing my clothes..

-My uncle (a brilliant large animal veterinarian) invited me to intern / job shadow him for a week. We still haven't figured out when, as we're both a little too busy at the moment (him with his job + training residents and I with school, kickboxing and volunteering at the vet clinic). My guess is it won't probably be until next summer. Regardless, this is definitely something I'm looking forward to.
Congratulations on the kickboxing medal - well done!

Hope you experience more pain-free days!

Good work at the vet clinic and helping in four surgeries! Hope you have a amazing/educational time interning/shadowing with your uncle in the future!

That'll be me tomorrow because it'll be day 6 in a row after already working 60 hours the last 5 days... though really that is me everyday.
I was supposed to help with pony rides at my barn tomorrow but tapped out for the morning cause I need a catch up morning. My own fault really cause I'm basically a toddler and I'm really bad at telling myself to go to bed. Plus I picked up some shifts for one of the vets on vacation next week, so I'm working 3 Saturdays in a row.

My receptionist and I leave little pep talk notes for each other along the lines of the adult gold star things ("You didn't murder that client!", "You ate food today!") This morning she left one that said, "You woke up today!" I told her there was a lot of evidence to the contrary...

Reactions: 9 users
I was supposed to help with pony rides at my barn tomorrow but tapped out for the morning cause I need a catch up morning. My own fault really cause I'm basically a toddler and I'm really bad at telling myself to go to bed. Plus I picked up some shifts for one of the vets on vacation next week, so I'm working 3 Saturdays in a row.

My receptionist and I leave little pep talk notes for each other along the lines of the adult gold star things ("You didn't murder that client!", "You ate food today!") This morning she left one that said, "You woke up today!" I told her there was a lot of evidence to the contrary...

I can't wait until I can say working 3 Saturdays in a row as a not normal thing....that's my current normal schedule....

And that notes system sounds awesome. I need a "you haven't told anyone to **** off"

Congratulations on the kickboxing medal - well done!

Hope you experience more pain-free days!

Good work at the vet clinic and helping in four surgeries! Hope you have a amazing/educational time interning/shadowing with your uncle in the future!

Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Luckily my parents home did not get flooded but lots of their neighbors did. Water was just in front of their house!

Reactions: 3 users
I went on a date tonight with a guy I met on Match (of all places). We went to a board game cafe , it went pretty well. He's gonna come to a work function with me next weekend.

Reactions: 13 users
I went on a date tonight with a guy I met on Match (of all places). We went to a board game cafe , it went pretty well. He's gonna come to a work function with me next weekend.

Ahhh board game cafe. That's sounds fun. I'll have to see if there is anythuing like that around me. Also went on a date recently went that went well and trying to think of things we can do around here (he's near Boston so way more fun). I feel like thats a unique but fun thing to try. Glad things went well!

Ahhh board game cafe. That's sounds fun. I'll have to see if there is anythuing like that around me. Also went on a date recently went that went well and trying to think of things we can do around here (he's near Boston so way more fun). I feel like thats a unique but fun thing to try. Glad things went well!
It's honestly the best idea ever. You pay $5 admission and they have like 500 games that you can just hang out and play. They have drinks and snacks for sale too. The staff are great for explaining games and making suggestions for games you might like. We played Jaipur and Codename Duets.

Reactions: 1 users
It's honestly the best idea ever. You pay $5 admission and they have like 500 games that you can just hang out and play. They have drinks and snacks for sale too. The staff are great for explaining games and making suggestions for games you might like. We played Jaipur and Codename Duets.
Second this. Board game cafes are the best invention ever.

If you have an escape room in your area, would recommend trying that as well. :) It could be a really fun date, and it would make you have to work together.

In another rave:

1. I finally have a laptop again for the first time in 5 months. Planning life just got so much easier.

2. After this week I no longer work 80+ hours weekly and I can't put in words how excited I am for it. Sad that classes starting is a vacation. :p

Second this. Board game cafes are the best invention ever.

If you have an escape room in your area, would recommend trying that as well. :) It could be a really fun date, and it would make you have to work together.
I know we have at least one, but he's done it. We're probably gonna go to Hal-Con together in a few weeks, provided he doesn't mind me being in cosplay as a 15 year old Russian boy.

Was this meant to be a rant?

Yeah, I had too many dingus owners and way too many skin cases and not enough internal medicine.

Omg yes. I totally read the thread title as rant cause that's how my brain is functioning right now. Mine were just all ECC type cases and I just felt a little out of my league and that they took me longer than they should. I would have loved a few skin cases today.