Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
forms are due tomorrow, movement next week? *hopefully*

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This and NSUCOM are my top picks. Not sure if I have a shot or not due to criminal record (will be five years old at time of application). I currently have a 3.45 cGPA, 3.34 sGPA, and tons of ECs. Also, I have a LoR from someone who attended PCOM.

Link to my WAMC post for those interested in helping me with suggestions: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/3-45-3-34-many-ecs.1073555/#post-15272616

Does anyone have any idea on when we will hear?!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really thought someone would have heard by now. Darn.

Does anyone know if and when they meet in the summers?

No idea but the waitlist letter said they would "review your application credentials again before the selection process is complete"

Maybe PCOM is waiting till a certain number of seats open up before having a meeting?

No idea but the waitlist letter said they would "review your application credentials again before the selection process is complete"

Maybe PCOM is waiting till a certain number of seats open up before having a meeting?
This seems much more likely than giving out the seats one at a time actually.

This seems much more likely than giving out the seats one at a time actually.

Maybe we will see some movement mid June. The GA campus has people moving though. :-/

Last edited:
Maybe we will see some movement mid June. The GA campus has people moving though. :-/

There's been major movement at so many schools but not PCOM. o_O

Last edited:
Has anyone emailed them to ask when to expect movement or call?

I would, but I work during the hours they are open!

Has anyone emailed them to ask when to expect movement or call?

I would, but I work during the hours they are open!
People who received the waitlist letter received information about what they can send in to update, when they might here etc etc I just wish I knew whether I needed to start reapplying at this point

Members don't see this ad :)
My letter said what to update, so I did, but it never said a date to hear by. I meant of anyone has called to ask when the committee meets or when the earliest we should hear by would be...

Any update on the Dean's Letter requirement? I can't find any info about it anywhere on the website.

My letter said what to update, so I did, but it never said a date to hear by. I meant of anyone has called to ask when the committee meets or when the earliest we should hear by would be...
Will they even tell us that information?

Will they even tell us that information?

From what I heard, they meet the first Tuesday or Wednesday of every month...and they only meet once a month. So if they didn't meet last week since that's when finals were, or they were recent. They will meet this week. But Yes, I think if someone calls to ask when the earliest we will hear by will be, they will tell us. Or tell us when the committee is meeting etc..

From what I heard, they meet the first Tuesday or Wednesday of every month...and they only meet once a month. So if they didn't meet last week since that's when finals were, or they were recent. They will meet this week. But Yes, I think if someone calls to ask when the earliest we will hear by will be, they will tell us. Or tell us when the committee is meeting etc..

If anyone is willing to do this for those of us who have work, I'd give endless high fives. :highfive:

If anyone is willing to do this for those of us who have work, I'd give endless high fives. :highfive:
The Committee is no longer meeting monthly, they have some sort of sub group doing it but nothing can be done until there is movement in the list. Anyone thinking of pulling out do it now so waitlist people can make plans

The Committee is no longer meeting monthly, they have some sort of sub group doing it but nothing can be done until there is movement in the list. Anyone thinking of pulling out do it now so waitlist people can make plans
I just can't imagine that no one has dropped their spot.

So wait you heard that no spots have opened up yet?

Thats terrifying. I just want to know whether I should submit my new app or not. =|
I just find it very hard to believe that not a single person has dropped. More likely than not, they just haven't met yet. We learned from the deferred decisions that pcom takes a little longer than the rest to get their stuff together.

I called this morning, and the woman said they have no updates to give at this time. She would not tell me when they plan to meet, or their mechanism of meeting during the summer months. Womp.

Hi Doctors from PCOM,
Is there anybody available helping me on CS test? I know some of 4th year medical student already passed the exam. If you happen to have some leisure time and like to practice with me, I will appreciate. I will pay you for this help. I am living in Philadelphia area.
Thanks

I called this morning, and the woman said they have no updates to give at this time. She would not tell me when they plan to meet, or their mechanism of meeting during the summer months. Womp.

Perhaps there really hasn't been any loss of seats.

Does anyone know where we can find a list of the rotation sites and affiliated hospitals GA-PCOM has for 3rd year and 4th. I know they mentioned them during the interview but that was a long time ago and I can't seem to find them online.

Thanks! Goodluck to everyone stills waiting.

Could any current students give insight into how much flexibility there is with location of rotations in the 3rd and 4th year? My husband and family are in New York City, so I'm wondering how easy it is to do rotations in the New Jersey or New York area. Also, if it is possible to rotate at hospitals closer to NYC, can you do your rotations in the same spot for the 3rd and/or the 4th years, or are you required to move around a lot? Thanks for your help!

So that email...does that mean people have already gotten their letters or they just mailed them?

I was wondering the same thing!
I'm guessing they sent them Friday, that's usually what they do? Or the past two letters I've gotten were sent on Friday.

I'm pretty sure that email is for applicants still on the WL since it asks if you still want to be on it.
Who knows but I do know that someone got off the wait list and got the letter Saturday.

Who knows but I do know that someone got off the wait list and got the letter Saturday.
That's awesome! By any chance do you know if they received the email this morning?

Reactions: 2 users
Didn't see these posts until now...what email did you guys receive?! I never got an email from PCOM and now this has me worried that maybe they never got my waitlist confirmation or something. I'll call on monday I guess.

The email said that another update would be by the middle of July.

My guess is meeting the second week of July due to the holiday and then we shall see.

Has anyone called to see if there will even be anymore movement?

Just kidding, just received an acceptance at PCOM. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

They said we'd get another update mid-July. Do you think they're meeting again in the next week or so, or did 1358 get in on the July committee meeting? Or did someone from the June batch say no, and that's why 1358 heard from them so early?

Anyone?

Good question - hopefully it's the first or last thing you said and there's still another meeting. 1358, did it seem like the e-mail you got was written to you specifically or did it look like one that might have been sent to multiple people? Oh, and congrats!

They said we'd get another update mid-July. Do you think they're meeting again in the next week or so, or did 1358 get in on the July committee meeting? Or did someone from the June batch say no, and that's why 1358 heard from them so early?
Anyone?
This I don't have an answer to. My letter addressed the holiday so I am assuming the decision was made rather recently.
Good question - hopefully it's the first or last thing you said and there's still another meeting. 1358, did it seem like the e-mail you got was written to you specifically or did it look like one that might have been sent to multiple people? Oh, and congrats!
Thanks! I have no idea, but it was not addressed specifically to me, it just said "Greetings from the Admissions team at PCOM".