*** Official 2005 Step I Results Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, let's get this off right. Results were just released in my neck of the woods, 12:00 EST.

Just like last year, let's have a cohesive thread. Be sure to mention your Step I score (of course!) and any other correlative material you choose (study plan, NBME exams, etc.).

Best of luck, let's keep it cordial.

Members don't see this ad.

p53 said:
This reminds me when I was at a club 3 years ago, and this girl came up to me. She said, "Don't even think about it, I've heard about you, you have no chance to hook up with me tonite." Guess what...The next morning I made her breakfast.

Hell yeah, I'll never forget that night. I dont know how u talked me into it. But I will give u props for those breakfast burritos. They hit the spot. U even called the cab for me Romeo!!!

How come u never called me back?

Still waiting patiently for your call, :love:
Omar

omarsaleh66 said:
Hell yeah, I'll never forget that night. I dont know how u talked me into it. But I will give u props for those breakfast burritos. They hit the spot. U even called the cab for me Romeo!!!

Omar

That's funny. I just love a man with a sense of humor. :love:

p53 said:
This reminds me when I was at a club 3 years ago, and this girl came up to me. She said, "Don't even think about it, I've heard about you, you have no chance to hook up with me tonite." Guess what...The next morning I made her breakfast.

WOW!!!
That post is the saddest I have read in a long time.

I’m officially nominating p53 for the biggest loser of the year award.

Please feel free to vote or throw in your nomination.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!

Awesome score.

Any study advice would be appreciated. What books did you use? What was your schedule like? Anything else you would like to add?

Thanks.

Congrats, once again.

saco said:
Score is finally in.

Step I: 269/99

NBME1: 600 (3 weeks prior)
NBME2: 800 (4 days prior)

Enjoy.

In case anyone is still reading this thread looking for actual information (correlations, etc) rather than annoying arguments...

D.O. student
31 ACT
1310 SAT
Psychology B.A. German Minor
Dismal undergrad science g.p.a.
MCAT 11v 8p 10b Q = 29Q
Class not ranked, but top 10% for two of six quarters, most likely in top 25% of class. Never below the mean on block exams.
Qbank-- 65%, only 70% completed. 70's and 80's during the end (once all the cell bio questions had been used up :) )
USMLE I 230 / 93
COMLEX I 645/87

Signed up for Kaplan course-- big mistake. Didn't read the books, didn't watch vids, only went to the three weekend courses. Those were good, but for me, Kaplan was a waste of a lot of money I wish I had back. Classmates loved the books though, some used them as primary resource and did quite well.

Annotated First Aid for primary resource. Just do it, everyone else does.
BRS Phys--awesome, but certainly didn't need it for the COMLEX...
BRS Path--knew it sorta well :)
HY Neuro--rockin', but I forgot a lot of it before the test.
Q-Bank--superb resource. Gets you used to computer format. Some questions way too picky, so just get used to having no idea of some things
HY Gross Anatomy--didn't finish it, and I don't think it helped me that much on anatomy questions, which seemed to be of either the super-easy or wtf? variety (no in-betweens).
Micro Made Simple--unless you have a strong background in micro, you're missing out if you don't use this book.

I had several other books that I had big plans to read, but it just never happened. No real study plan, I started at the end of February, just poking thorugh various sections of first aid. Started annotating and doing Qbank later, and studied as much as I could stomach during the couple weeks we had off before COMLEX. Got married after COMLEX, came back intending to study my butt off for USMLE a month later, but it didn't happen. I ended up speed-reading HY Cell and Molecular Bio, and skimming the Biochem section of FA. Wish I'd put considerably more effort into Biochem, but I'm still quite happy with my results.

YouDontKnowJack said:
I call BS!!#@$%

But I'll leave it to p53 to have you prove/scan your score. :thumbup::thumbup:

I agree that a lot of people are fibbing about their actual scores. I think a lot of people are full of crap and inflating by about 20-30 points. That's part of the reason why I have chosen not to reveal mine. I think going from a 600 to an 800 within one week is not possible unless you were on drugs during the first session or looked up all the answers before submitting on the second session.

By the way, not one resident or attending has asked me how I did on Step 1. Why? They don't care. You can ace Step 1 and still look like a complete fool on the wards. Your score does not indicate you will be a good doctor, or that you'll even complete medical school. Hard work does pay off. I'm happy to say that my hard work paid great dividends for me. I have very little regrets about my preparation. I don't feel I have a lot of raw natural talent but I paid my dues and studied methodically. Like Goljan says, "Boom, boom, boom, boom, shoot 'em down."

In summary, your score does not mean that much in terms of your abilities or your status in life. I would venture to guess that very few if any patients has ever asked a physician what she/he scored on Step 1. Good luck to everyone still studying or are awaiting their scores.

saco said:
I really don't feel bad doing this. For you p53, Mr.???/99.
http://saco.smugmug.com/gallery/694649/1/30209199/Large

Wow. I bet your performance profile was off the page. Congrats. I'm not big on the numbers (like I just mentioned in my previous post) but this is a great score. You have the potential to have a great knowledge base for your practice. Good job.

omarsaleh66 said:

Omar

HAHA omar.

Pox in a box said:
By the way, not one resident or attending has asked me how I did on Step 1. Why? They don't care. You can ace Step 1 and still look like a complete fool on the wards. Your score does not indicate you will be a good doctor, or that you'll even complete medical school. Hard work does pay off. I'm happy to say that my hard work paid great dividends for me. I have very little regrets about my preparation. I don't feel I have a lot of raw natural talent but I paid my dues and studied methodically. Like Goljan says, "Boom, boom, boom, boom, shoot 'em down."

Good point, but the reason residents and attending don't ask your score is because they already know your score, or have ready access to it. The one exception is surgery. If you are in Surgery they might not care enough about you to know your score. Still if you have told your attending that Surgery is a career you are considering, they know your Step 1 score.

One more thing, if you are ever asked about your Step 1 score (which I doubt will happen) you better give the real answer because they can verify it.

Pox and P53 agreeing on certain things what is this world comming to?

You guys know everyone is dying to kow your scores, mainly because both you guys or gals are such prolific posters.

yeah. post them scores. doesn't matter if they're inflated by 20 or not.

haha. no one is gonna laugh.

be loud and proud.

So I noticed there is a common pattern that follows every time a high score is posted:
Before the post we all acknowledge that Step 1 is fairly important for residency application and stuff, and we try to do the best we can (that is why we have these forums)
High score comes and at first it is disputed as a lie
If that fails, the next attack is at the poster's social skills (stuff like “you can't communicate with patients” or “everyone hates you”)
Then come the posts like: “You know Step 1 is really not that important” bla bla bla

I give up

Idiopathic said:
BTW, the report was photoshopped. Look at the hazy areas around the 'num bers'

:thumbup:
Hazy areas such as that are pretty standard artifacts for low/medium-quality JPEG compression; it does not deal very well with straight lines and high contrast detail.

It looks real to me, anyway. I don't care one way or the other, and I don't see why anyone else would. There's no cash prize for the highest score on SDN. Your name isn't engraved in a plaque. Residency programs will receive his true score, grades, letters, and interview him and rank him based on whatever combination of factors and consideration he's earned. If you're all bent out of shape that he outscored you on the exam and feel less worthy, only you are responsible for your performance on your exam; you can't blame him for trying to excel at any opportunity given to him. Stop bickering on SDN and go do something that's going to improve the quality of life for the people we're supposed to be dedicating our lives to be learning to take care of.

Members don't see this ad :)
quick question on the 2 digit score...
how can 2 people get the same 3 digit score with a different 2 digits? is it based on the specific test date/ questions or something else?
just curious, and not questioning anyones score
thanks,
streetdoc

streetdoc said:
quick question on the 2 digit score...
how can 2 people get the same 3 digit score with a different 2 digits? is it based on the specific test date/ questions or something else?
just curious, and not questioning anyones score
thanks,
streetdoc

You can't; if you saw it here, it's a typo. Everyone who scores above 240 gets a 99 as well, I believe.

Pompacil said:
You can't; if you saw it here, it's a typo. Everyone who scores above 240 gets a 99 as well, I believe.

i'll have to disagree...i'm just tryng to get to the bottom of how this works without calling NBME.
doc ivy, whom i believe completely, got a 240 /98. i got a 240 /97.
so i'd say not all with >240 get a 99 for sure. Just wondering if i can get actually insight into how this works and not "X got XXX/XX therefore ALL who get XXX get XX"
i'm just wondering, not acusing
streetdoc
how sad that SDN has made me disappointed with my score...

saco said:
So I noticed there is a common pattern that follows every time a high score is posted:
Before the post we all acknowledge that Step 1 is fairly important for residency application and stuff, and we try to do the best we can (that is why we have these forums)
If that fails, the next attack is at the poster's social skills (stuff like “you can't communicate with patients” or “everyone hates you”)
Then come the posts like: “You know Step 1 is really not that important” bla bla bla

I give up
people got high scores are hard workers, they usually got more honors and are more interested in what they are studying. Of course they know the importance of communication and personality etc. Since they know their stuff pretty well, they tend to do better on rotations and therefore, residency. They are usually dedicate to their dreams. This is not my words, this is the words from a PD I know fairly well. PDs are not stupid, they look for something invisible behind the scores, and statistically speaking, they are almost always right. Yes if you got poor score you can still improve your chance by doing well on rotations, make connections with faculties etc. Do you think the people got high score just sit there doing nothing? They are doing same thing as you do. Most people w/ good score will certainly match to the spot they like while most w/ poor score have to gamble to land a competitive spot. Sure there are exceptions, but that is not the point.
Just my 2 cents. Hats off to all harder workers, high score or low.

streetdoc said:
i'll have to disagree...i'm just tryng to get to the bottom of how this works without calling NBME.
so i'd say not all with >240 get a 99 for sure. Just wondering if i can get actually insight into how this works and not "X got XXX/XX therefore ALL who get XXX get XX"
streetdoc

Hmmm weird.

The two digit score is set so that passing is over 75. So getting a 75 2 dig score should be equivalent to getting a 182 (??). And your right. I'm not sure what the cutoff for getting a "99" is, but it's around 240-245. That is really weird though.

so much for nbme predictions.

3 days before --> predicted score 221
actual score ---> 245< x <255

SAT: 650V, 700M
MCAT: 12BS, 11PS, 6VR :mad: ,S
NBME DIAGNOSTIC: 175 (our class average)
Q-bank: ~68 +/- 5%
Real thing: 245/99 :smuggrin:

I'm really happy about my score and to make sure that I don't get an inflated head, I came on this site to see how awesome you guys did. You guys are amazing and I really marvel at your success. It must really feel great for 2 years of hard work to pay off like this. In terms of books:

First Aid: xxx
Kaplan Basic Sciences: xxxxxx
Kaplan Organ Systems: xxx
BRS Path: xxxx
BRS Phys: xxxx
Goljan: xxx
Pharm for Boards and Wards: xxxxx
Road Map for Pharm: xx
HY Neuroanatomy: xxxxx

Good luck to the next wave and congrats to everyone on this forum.

Step 1 - 246/99
Qbank - avg 70% (only done in 50-q random blocks)
MCAT - 36
2000m erg time - 6:59 :barf:

It is actually the erg score that I am most proud of, as I have dropped 30 seconds in the past 10 months!

p53 said:
Good point, but the reason residents and attending don't ask your score is because they already know your score, or have ready access to it. The one exception is surgery. If you are in Surgery they might not care enough about you to know your score. Still if you have told your attending that Surgery is a career you are considering, they know your Step 1 score.

One more thing, if you are ever asked about your Step 1 score (which I doubt will happen) you better give the real answer because they can verify it.
Once again, NOT TRUE. Student affairs offices have strict rules about who has access to your scores, and unless they are evaluating your ENTIRE file for application/scholarship or fellowship purposes, they DO NOT have access to you scores.

Pompacil said:
Hmmm weird.

The two digit score is set so that passing is over 75. So getting a 75 2 dig score should be equivalent to getting a 182 (??). And your right. I'm not sure what the cutoff for getting a "99" is, but it's around 240-245. That is really weird though.

Just to comment, Last year, there were two different score representations with different means and different SD's, which could allow for slight differences in two-digit score.

Zweihander said:
Tell me about it! I feel so...
so...
MEDIOCRE. :laugh:

stupid gunners :mad:

I hope that no one mistakes me for a gunner. My studying was relatively less intense than many people I know, and I enjoyed the collabrative spirit that a number of my classmates manifested during this trial. I am proud of my score, of course, but this is tempered by a few facts:
1) I don't really get what these numbers mean - I mean, what does a 246, 225, a 200 really describe? What does a, say, twenty-point difference imply about a student's other attributes?
2) This high score doesn't give me any breathing room for 3rd year, no laurels I can rest on. I passed this test, time to get ready for the next one...
3) I know, from conversation and classtime, that most of the people who (probably) scored lower than me will be bright and intelligent students on the wards. Believe me, I'm not about to sell any classmate short based on this test!
4) Just as a low Step 1 score does not rule out any residency, a high score hardly assures me of one.

streetdoc said:
streetdoc

it probably is the test date and that particular test.

xaelia said:
Hazy areas such as that are pretty standard artifacts for low/medium-quality JPEG compression; it does not deal very well with straight lines and high contrast detail.

It looks real to me, anyway. I don't care one way or the other, and I don't see why anyone else would. There's no cash prize for the highest score on SDN. Your name isn't engraved in a plaque. Residency programs will receive his true score, grades, letters, and interview him and rank him based on whatever combination of factors and consideration he's earned. If you're all bent out of shape that he outscored you on the exam and feel less worthy, only you are responsible for your performance on your exam; you can't blame him for trying to excel at any opportunity given to him. Stop bickering on SDN and go do something that's going to improve the quality of life for the people we're supposed to be dedicating our lives to be learning to take care of.

Do you go to random places and criticize people having conversations that dont involve you in any way? You seem to know an awful lot about everybody here and seem to be very wise. Im sure everyone reading your statement really appreciates your taking the time to say so much, and with such insight.

Especially from someone who doesnt care.

paramed2premed said:
I hope that no one mistakes me for a gunner. My studying was relatively less intense than many people I know, and I enjoyed the collabrative spirit that a number of my classmates manifested during this trial. I am proud of my score, of course, but this is tempered by a few facts:
1) I don't really get what these numbers mean - I mean, what does a 246, 225, a 200 really describe? What does a, say, twenty-point difference imply about a student's other attributes?
2) This high score doesn't give me any breathing room for 3rd year, no laurels I can rest on. I passed this test, time to get ready for the next one...
3) I know, from conversation and classtime, that most of the people who (probably) scored lower than me will be bright and intelligent students on the wards. Believe me, I'm not about to sell any classmate short based on this test!
4) Just as a low Step 1 score does not rule out any residency, a high score hardly assures me of one.

I agree with ewhat you say, but I will add this. We have very few objective criteria to bejudged upon, and this is one of the most important. I dont view it as "look how much better he/she is", but rather as an isolated "look how he/she performed"

how many people do you know that scored high on step 1, and were total clutzes on the wards?

my guess is not many...

ClandestineOne said:
Once again, NOT TRUE. Student affairs offices have strict rules about who has access to your scores, and unless they are evaluating your ENTIRE file for application/scholarship or fellowship purposes, they DO NOT have access to you scores.

Yeah, I want to believe this is true, but early last week I walked into clinic and my attending congratulated me on my score before I even got it in the mail. I was partially relieved, but part of me was felt that it was really shady. Something fishy is going on... at least at my school.

And streetdoc, I know how you feel. 240 is a great score, but this place will make you feel as though it's only mediocre. But hey, I studied hard for 2 weeks and said "enough already". Took the test at the beginning of June and then actually had a summer--I went to the Bahamas, went rafting in Aspen, had a summer fling, watched bad daytime TV: generally had a life AND did well on Step 1. For me starting my M3 year refreshed and rejuvenated was worth the 10 extra points I might have scored by going thru FA another couple of times.

So here's to all of us 240ers. We didn't break 250 but we still rocked this thing. :clap:

Doc Ivy said:
Yeah, I want to believe this is true, but early last week I walked into clinic and my attending congratulated me on my score before I even got it in the mail. I was partially relieved, but part of me was felt that it was really shady. Something fishy is going on... at least at my school.

Same here...A 4th year at my school told his attending that he was considering surgery. The attending replied you need to improve on your Step 2 scores (This implied he knew his Step 1 score)...

Ouch...

Doc Ivy said:
generally had a life AND did well on Step 1. For me starting my M3 year refreshed and rejuvenated was worth the 10 extra points I might have scored by going thru FA another couple of times.

So here's to all of us 240ers. We didn't break 250 but we still rocked this thing. :clap:

How do you know you would have scored >250 if you went through FA a couple more times? You seem pretty conceited on top of the fact that you said in italics,'...had a life AND did well on Step 1.' And BTW, your attending probably found out your score due to you saying it to someone. Something tells me you did not keep your score a secret.

Please don't disrespect the people who scored >250 (or even 270) AND had a life as well. Your portrait of a perfectly balanced life is admirable, but don't use it as an excuse to boost your self-esteem at the expense of others.

2TIM4:7 said:
How do you know you would have scored >250 if you went through FA a couple more times? You seem pretty conceited on top of the fact that you said in italics,'...had a life AND did well on Step 1.' And BTW, your attending probably found out your score due to you saying it to someone. Something tells me you did not keep your score a secret.

Please don't disrespect the people who scored >250 (or even 270) AND had a life as well. Your portrait of a perfectly balanced life is admirable, but don't use it as an excuse to boost your self-esteem at the expense of others.

Do you have trouble comprehending? She didn't know her official score until after she received it in the mail. Now backoff, and stop hating.

Why do you find it hard to believe that an Attending can have access to your Step 1 score?

We interrupt your viewing pleasure with an update:

SAT: 560M, 750V
MCAT: I don't even remember, but it was a total of 29
Q-bank: started off in the 60%, ended up with >80%
Step 1 score: 194/76

Let's just say I was severely, severely disappointed.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

p53 said:
Do you have trouble comprehending? She didn't know her official score until after she received it in the mail. Now backoff, and stop hating.

Why do you find it hard to believe that an Attending can have access to your Step 1 score?

Hating? Why don't you look back on your numerous posts and educate me on hating?

Comprehension? What was the main idea of my post?

Long Dong said:
Pox and P53 agreeing on certain things what is this world comming to?

You guys know everyone is dying to kow your scores, mainly because both you guys or gals are such prolific posters.
I know. It is somewhat humorous to me that the two biggest loud-mouth posters (before Step I) become rather quiet when it is time to speak. Still waiting on those Step I experiences. After all, what good is a "Step I diary" when the end result is withheld? Oh well.

Keep those scores coming!!!

kaos said:

shet happens. you'll still be a Dr. though. With some business cents, you won't be limited to just $150000/year.

It's all about the cheddar!!

kaos said:

what did u get in nbme 1?

Yogi Bear said:
what did u get in nbme 1?
I didn't take it. I didn't know about it till really late. One thing I have to say about my school--they don't really like giving info.

kaos said:
I didn't take it. I didn't know about it till really late. One thing I have to say about my school--they don't really like giving info.

what.

you've got 3000+ posts, and you've never noticed people talking about the nbme?

p53 said:

I can vouch that surgeons I've encountered barely accept your existence, let alone how much you could bench at the NBME's Prometric workout facility.

YouDontKnowJack said:
what.

you've got 3000+ posts, and you've never noticed people talking about the nbme?

it's not about how much u post, it's about where u posts. i think kaos might have spent too much time in the Lounge and not enough in USMLE forums. :p

that said, it was probably just a bad day, based on the qbank numbers kaos posted. very unfortunate....

saco said:

I give up

Saco, dude. I agree with you. Grapes are sour..... I am pretty sure, however, that most of us on the forum are not like that. It's an anonymous forum anyway....

You got an awesome score. It would be great if you could post your study methods for posterity....

Thanks.
:cool:

Yogi Bear said:
it's not about how much u post, it's about where u posts. i think kaos might have spent too much time in the Lounge and not enough in USMLE forums. :p

that said, it was probably just a bad day, based on the qbank numbers kaos posted. very unfortunate....
Haha, glad u noticed my # of posts. I actually accrued most of them while applying to med school, getting caught up in the drama and good times of the Pre-Allopathic forum (not to mention the Lounge :p). I've been MIA for quite a while, only posting in this forum and in the Clinical Rotations for the past few months. I never even set foot in these forums till now. I've been gone from the Lounge so long that I hardly knew anyone the last time I went in there! :D

Yeah, I hated my exam. I guess in the end it really was just a bad draw. C'est la vie.

ROBINHO said:
On 04-17-2005, 05:09 P53 wrote

On 04-17-2005, 05:09 P53 wrote

Quote:
Thanks BragFrank, I'll post my score, and exam experience in July. Just promise me you won't get jealous when I beat your score

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=187956

p53...why are u going back on your word??? Just post your scores to end all this furore.

hahahaha. good find.

it takes a real man to post his 3 digit score. :) :cool:

idq1i said:
this thread is entertaining

<-- :laugh:s @ p53

Actually, if anything I should be laughing at you if we compared scores. I'm not that kind of person, so here's an olive branch. Good job on your Step 1. :D

Since BigFrank is hinting around like a woman. Yes, I am disappointed with my score. This should make his day since he will be able to read between the lines.