*** Official 2005 Step I Results Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, let's get this off right. Results were just released in my neck of the woods, 12:00 EST.

Just like last year, let's have a cohesive thread. Be sure to mention your Step I score (of course!) and any other correlative material you choose (study plan, NBME exams, etc.).

Best of luck, let's keep it cordial.

Members don't see this ad.

bigfrank said:
Alright, let's get this off right. Results were just released in my neck of the woods, 12:00 EST.

Just like last year, let's have a cohesive thread. Be sure to mention your Step I score (of course!) and any other correlative material you choose (study plan, NBME exams, etc.).

Question, do they release scores at the same time? I don't see a date on my score reported section, so does that mean I have to wait another week?

bluebirdie said:
Question, do they release scores at the same time? I don't see a date on my score reported section, so does that mean I have to wait another week?
I have a date on mine (today's date) and since it is updated "nightly" yes, you will probably have to wait. When was your exam?

nutmegs said:
I have a date on mine (today's date) and since it is updated "nightly" yes, you will probably have to wait. When was your exam?

Has anyone tried reregistering for Step I, and does the window come up saying "You can't take Step I again because you passed blah blah blah."

Anyone get that window?!?!?!?!?!?! :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
ForceField said:
Has anyone tried reregistering for Step I, and does the window come up saying "You can't take Step I again because you passed blah blah blah."

How do you know they were released? What website are you checking this at? Does it only tell you that they were released...and then you're waiting to get the score in the mail?

ForceField said:

no, I think this window is a myth. not to be a dick but I didn't fail this exam. my scores were released today, and just now I was able to get the whole way up to "enter your credit card info" to pay for your step 1 test. I think the re-register thing may only work for IMGs, somehow, through a different system.

nutmegs said:
no, I think this window is a myth. not to be a dick but I didn't fail this exam. my scores were released today, and just now I was able to get the whole way up to "enter your credit card info" to pay for your step 1 test. I think the re-register thing may only work for IMGs, somehow, through a different system.

I think someone else posted on this, I think it only applies to img's

To get this thread back on track>>
Test taken 6/23/06:Results 7/20/05
NBME 1 - 530
Step 1 - 237
Qbank % - 68 overall, last 2 weeks 70-80%
Best books used:
1. Pathophysiology for boards and wards
2. BRS Path
3. BRS physiology
4. Robbins Q book
5. Kaplan BIochem
6. Goljan Lectures

FA was used only for Micro and Pharm, nothing else.
:)

NBME practice 150Qs: 80%
Kaplan Online QBank: 70% overall (finished about 3/4 of the questions, took notes)
Kaplan full length practice test: 68%
USMLE Step 1: 241 :)

Study materials used:

1) Step Up for just about everything
2) First Aid mainly for Anatomy, Biochem, Micro, Pharm
3) Robbins Review for Path
4) Katzung Review for Pharm
5) Pre-Test for histo, anat, embryo (small book of questions, it was great)
6) Various other question books like BRS path, phys, the small Kaplan question book I got for signing up with them (250 q's)
7) SDN for my sanity (or insanity?)
8) Last but not least: my own notes that I made during my 6 weeks of studying -- I kept a notebook divided into disciplines for the boards, and filled it up as I was studying. This worked really well for me; I recommend it!

Big ups!

sliding in at 235, exam taken june 10th.

I did not kill myself studying for this exam and I don't regret that one bit (was shooting for 230-240 :))

I used (in order of amount of time spent): QBank (40% finished), First Aid, BRS Path, BRS Physio, Path Recall, Pharm Recall, Micro Made Simple, the first 2 chapters of HY Neuroanatomy.

My tips: avoid SDN like the plague for most of your studying period (good for book recommendations, etc, miserable for thinking that you need to be like these people to do well), don't postpone your date (I took my exam first out of my classmates and don't think I would have improved much by moving my date), and make yourself a little minibook of really HY stuff during 2nd year- mine was a spiral bound set of 3x5 cards that had pages for sensory pathways, charts about antiarrythmia drugs, glycogen storage diseases, immune cell markers, all those really high yield little lists. re-read it on the way to the exam ;)

and finally- I'd like to again offer proof that you do not have to abuse yourself and be miserable while going through this process. I was able to exercise, drink beer, and watch the basketball playoffs. good luck!!!

nutmegs said:

It does not work ..if u took the FRED software.

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied from 8-5 and did Qbank from 7-9 for 28 days straight. Had evenings to drink beer and over a month off before clinicals started. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

BRS Path
BRS Phys
BRS Pharm
High Yield Gross
High Yield Embryo
High Yield Neuro
High Yield Behavioral
Micro Made Simple
First Aid

Q-Bank 50% completed averaged 69%
Step 1: 248 :)

Hallelujah!

I don't know what my two-digit score is but I received a 253.

I studied pretty much what everyone else studied.
80% Q-bank (non-random)
86% IV Q-bank
81% Kaplan full-length exam
92% 150 released
did not take FORM 1 or 2

There was no point in me posting my experience without getting my score first. So here are my numbers, and what I did to get this, the funny thing is that I was happy until I came onto this site and saw the other ridiculous scores that blew mine away, haha.

NBME Part A (510) 221 three weeks before
Kaplan Qbank started between 50-55% ended up between 74-78%
Step 1 Score= 242 :eek:
either a 97or98% ( I dont know, bad at biostats).

My experience:
Almost every Step 1 question had a root based on some basic concept. The question might itself be tangled every which way, but if you think in terms of what they are trying to ask you, the answer will show itself.

I read through FA three times.( that means understanding the concept behind every word written in there)

I left my STEP1 life in the hands of Edward Goljian, and he saved me. Use him like he is God. (Read Rapid Review three times fully. went over Goljian audio 2 times). Read rapid review instead of BRS.

Read HY Molecular Biology (very good book). Read the old 110page version not the new one.

Read Micro Made Ridiculously Simple(MMRS) and correlate stuff in FA with it.

I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM FOR POSTING THEIR REPLIES, IT REALLY HELPED ME ALONG ESPECIALLY IN TERMS OF MOTIVATION( It felt like I was in the company of geniuses and forced me to study harder).

Time to get crunkt

cabrito said:
Shah_Patel_PT said:
It does not work ..if u took the FRED software.[/QUOTE

where did you find out about it?Fred is only the exam software

Yeah i had freinds who took the old software and it used to work. It has not worked with anyone who has taken the current Fred softw. version.

I know there is no relations...maybe just a coincidence.

Badboyofmed said:
the funny thing is that I was happy until I came onto this site and saw the other ridiculous scores that blew mine away, haha.
DON'T DO THAT. think about the traits of the majority of people that register on a med student forum, let alone post on a regular basis on it, let alone get a reputation on one. you should be QUITE happy with your score :)

hey people posting scores today!

did you get these from school or snail mail?

thaaaaanks:)

nutmegs said:
DON'T DO THAT. think about the traits of the majority of people that register on a med student forum, let alone post on a regular basis on it, let alone get a reputation on one. you should be QUITE happy with your score :)

Thanks for the encouragement... I also found out that one of my good friends ended up with a 264....hahah. Oh well I'm still happy with my score.

By the way for those of you who havent taken the test yet, if you have any questions, post it, as soon as i see it, I'll post a reply.

Remember this test can be aced by even the least intelligent of medical students, all it takes is dedication, similar to working out....(Dont just say oh I'm gonna work my ass off everyday, you need to do it). Talk is cheap.

Qbank averaged a 70% with 100% completed. (I know buddies that completed 101%...wtf?)

150 practice: 83%

Qbank full length: 75%

The real deal: 244

All I did was drop a G on Kaplan classes and used their review books. After I spent that, I wasn't going to dig the hole deeper by buying BRS, FA, etc.

The moral of my story is that if you spend the last 2 weeks before the test doing nothing but eating, sleeping, pooping, and qbank, you can do aight.

bigfrank said:

All right, here we go:

Score (b/c we all just scroll to this part anyway): 242/98

Sources:

Qbank: did the whole thing. Ended up with a 79% all the way through it. Personally, felt that the test was nothing like it content-wise.

BRS Path
BRS Physio
BRS Behavioral
BRS Microbio and Immuno
HY Cell/Molec
HY Anatomy
HY Neuro
HY Embryo
Lippincott Biochemistry

I'd say this is pretty standard for SDN: the resources I used were heavily recommended by the community at large. And for the most part, I'd recommend them to the future classes too.

I plan on posting an extensive review of the materials, study schedule, and general test concepts that were hit on my version in the Experience sticky.

Thanks to all those before us who guided us through this miserable beast.

Posting for a friend:

NBME 2 (5/20): 490--215
NBME 1 (6/4): 600--240 :eek:
Q-bank: 65% (completed 85% of questions)
Took 1month to "really" study @ 9-11hrs/day

Step 1 (6/11): 226 :)
--Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel: PRICELESS :cool: ---

I'd also like to say how good it feels to measure up to the Type A's at SDN ;)

bigfrank said:

I got the score today :

USMLE: 233/94
NBME 1: 550 2 weeks before
NBME 2: 600 1 week before
MCAT- 30
ACT-29
SAT-1370
path NBME -620/91
pharm NBME-620/91
class rank - 31/98

Man, im so relieved. I knew I screwed up alot of questions when i left that test to the point where I could have failed. So i guess u can miss alot and still do ok at the end.

From the questions that I know I missed like 10-15 that I remembered, the answers are in either First AID, the drugs that arent in First AId are in USMLE Secrets, Goljan Audio has some USMLE Step 2 concepts that were on my exam that most will never know until they are in 3rd year or have listened to Goljan. ANd also the Goljan high yields are really worth looking at.

What I used to study in the 5 weeks:

-Appleton and Lange book: completed all of it at 69%
-Qbank- 30% complete at 63%
-NMS - completed 50% at 66% (but never went over the answers so didnt learn much from this)
-NBME 1,2 exams
-HY Molec bio
-HY histo
-HY Neuro
-Platinum Vignettes for Anatomy and Embryo (not that good- stick w First Aid and Moores blue boxes)
-Platinum Vignettes for Biostats and Behavorial Science (real good for biostats)
1 time thru First AID (lifesaver)
-About 60% of goljan audio (would have gotten a few more questions right if I finished it)

I admit my studying in the 5 weeks was kinda laid back (I was burnt out), but whatever, I cant cram. So if u are like me, then start early, and do questions starting early. If i could do it over again, I would perhaps make the following changes:

1)Listen to goljan audio once in second year, and again in the weeks when u are cramming for the USMLE. This guy should be arrested, he is basically getting USMLE questions from his student and telling u what is gonna be on the test. U better believe that I will take him seriously for USMLE 2.

2) DO BSS in the summer before M2. These questions are written by Goljan and many other good peeps. P53, idiopathic and Long Dong gave me this idea but my ******* never did them.

3) I took off December for vacation but i recommened that u take 1 week off, and 1 week knock out NMS (great book) and only 850q so it can be knocked out quick

4) I wish i studied in spring break (maybe start qbank?) instead of partyin w badboyofmed (punk ass got a 242!! hahah u owe me at the bachelor party fool!!)

alrite thats it. Im gonna go celebrate and finally know im an M3. Thanks to Idio, bigfrank, alexrusso, and many others that gave great advice and know that u postively impacted my score and I really owe u guys for that.

Holler at a Baller

Step 1: 257/99
NBME form I, II: 650, 710
Kaplan full length: 75%
Kaplan Qbank: 75%
150 questions: 90%

I was nervous as hell calling the deans office to get the score. i needed a decent grade to have a shot at the program im interested in and i didnt excatly walk out of the test feeling good. I was pleasantly surprised by the score.

Conclusions: There are no secrets to high scores, people are gonna tell you bout secret books and audiotypes etc but the truth is, you need to study well for 2 years and then work on your weaknesses for 1 month, take the boards and then take a vacation. Focus on your weaknesses, dont burn yourself out, study 8 hours a day. Get lots of sleep before the test.
Dont let an overly difficult version of the test get you down. I had a hurrendously difficult test version and came out of it feeling kinda beaten but i ended up getting my predicted score on form 2 NBME (which i took 3 days before test day). If you've been doing well for 2 yrs, you'll do well on the board. It is a fair test.
BOOKs: BRS path is overrated, high yield series rule, Q-bank should be taken with a grain of salt, the kaplan comprehensive and the nbme form I and II are very good. Except for the anatomical sciences section, firstAID is MORE than you need to know for most subjects.

Good luck to all the rest of you waiting for your grades or in the process of studying for or taking USMLE.

geromine

I got my score from the registrar today and was blown away:

251/99

It's not Big Frank good, but I am very excited about it. It's nice to finally have that off my shoulders.

I had a 4 week study plan, but I ended up taking the last week completely off. In the 3 weeks that I studied, I did all of Q-bank (77%) and read 1st Aid 7 or 8 times. I also tried to redo some of my missed Q-bank ?s to cement the concepts in my head. I supplemented w/the HY series and Micro Made Ridiculously Simple.

Hope this post finds everyone content w/their scores. Good luck on rotations! :thumbup:

All these scores are fantastic. Congratulations on everybody who has posted!

Step 1: 246/99
Kaplan Qbank: 81% (I completed roughly 70% of the questions)

1) First Aid
2) Step Up

I scheduled 4 weeks to study, but ended up taking the last week off. I also really limited the resources I used, my thought was that too many books would dillute the main ideas tested and I wouldn't have time to get to them anyways. I probably would not suggest my approach to anyone, nor am I pleased with my score.

usmlescore said:
A little Hx first:

Basic science shelf: 232
Path shelf: >720

NBME1: 260
NBME2: 260

Real deal: 266

i was ecstatic ... still 1 away from bigfrank though ... !

Sources I used:

Path: BRS path! all the way. I used it thru second year and read thru it several times. The path shelf is literally lifted from that red book! FA path is useless. Cept for the glossy pics.

Pharm: FA pharm is excellent and nicely condensed. It's tough to read thru but it's all there pretty much.

Physio: BRS physio. I transferred key concepts into the FA physio section.

Behavioral: The most annoying section. Luckily HY BS is awesome as is FA BS. I transferred HY BS concepts into FA BS and was set.

Anatomy / Embryo: Looked thru HY anatomy & HY embryo few day before exam. Don't know if it helped much. I don't know what to do for these low yielders.

Neuro: HY Neuro is a quick and thorough read. Again transferred it into FA neuro section.

Biochem: HY biochem transferred into FA biochem. HY MCB has a good section on lab tests.

Question sources:
Kaplan QBank once thru no repeats: 80%
Kaplan QBook, Robbins question book (excellent source of questions), Others

Studying
2 weeks: I went thru each organ system (Phys, Path, Pharm, Webpath slides, then q's). I did this again.
3 weeks: QBank 200 Q's a day plus 1 section from FA. Other Q books 200 Q's a day plus 1 section from FA.
2 weeks: Just focused on going thru FA as many times as possible while doing random questions here and there.
1 week: Went thru FA crossing out boxes I knew I knew. Eventually I was getting thru FA in 1 day.

4 days prior took NBME1 ; 2 days prior took NBME2 ; 1 day prior did FA pharm

Tips:
The best way to study for this exam is to learn the stuff right the 1st time round. There's only so much you can do in the last couple of months.
You'll walk out feeling like u've blown it. Somehow things work out.
Don't expect to get thru 12 books per subject. Choose 1 or 2 sources and focus on them.Save QBank till after you've gone thru the material once or twice. You'll learn a lot more that way.

It feels good to be done :)
So usmlescore is the MVP for the year so far?

KNightInBlue said:
So usmlescore is the MVP for the year so far?

Sorry if I sound very naive, but can someone tell me what all these numbers mean?? What is a passing score? Are you getting your score in the mail?

Thanks.

The three digit score is the important one...passing is 182-184.

The two digit score is for reporting purposes required for some programs (I don't know what that actually means.) The passing 2 digit score is a 75.

I personally got my score via email from the dean's office.

I should be drunk instead of on the inter-net.

marleybfour said:
Sorry if I sound very naive, but can someone tell me what all these numbers mean?? What is a passing score? Are you getting your score in the mail?

Thanks.

Step 1 258/99

Q-bank 1 time thru all random 75%
USMLE 150 Q's 85%
NBME tests, no $$ so didn't take them

Spent 2.5 weeks studying for them after cumulative finals in path and pharm. The test was difficult but I felt prepared. Congrats to everyone and your great scores.

Step 1 259/99

Here are the correlations for those interested and for next year for those who want to compare their progress with mine. People who did this last year I found it very helpful in seeing where I stood.

-MCAT 36N (9v,12p,15b).
-undergrad gpa 3.49.
-med school rank NA (strict P/F school).
-CBSE 88~245 (10 weeks b4 exam).
-BSS ~72%, started in jan doing 50 Qs/day/5 days a week (finished 9 weeks b4 exam).
-Qbank 78%, all random, all timed (finished 5 weeks b4 exam).
-Step 1 released items (41,43,44)=85% (4 weeks b4 exam).
-NMS 78% (3 weeks b4 exam).
-Kaplan full length simulated 77% (3 weeks b4 exam).
-Blueprints 85% (2 1/2 weeks b4 exam).
-Pretest vignettes 76% (2 1/2 weeks b4 exam).
-Rapid review usmle step 1 qbook 80% (2 weeks b4 exam).
-Blackwell free online exam 80% (2 weeks b4 exam).
-NBME form 1 670~252 (10 days b4 exam).
-NBME form 2 710~257 (5 days b4 D-day).

I'd like to thank big frank, idiopathic, and jalby for all their advice. I couldn't have gotten this score without their help, I'll be emailing you guys amazon gift certificates soon.

Long Dong said:
Step 1 259/99

Here are the correlations for those interested and for next year for those who want to compare thier progress with mine. People who did this last year I found it very helpful in seeing where I stood.

-MCAT 36N (9v,12p,15b).
-undergrad gpa 3.49.
-med school rank NA (strict P/F school).
-CBSE 88~245 (10 weeks b4 exam).
-BSS ~72%, started in jan doing 50 Qs/day/5 days a week (finished 9 weeks b4 exam).
-Qbank 78%, all random, all timed (finished 5 weeks b4 exam).
-Step 1 released items (41,43,44)=85% (4 weeks b4 exam).
-NMS 78% (3 weeks b4 exam).
-Kaplan full length simulated 77% (3 weeks b4 exam).
-Blueprints 85% (2 1/2 weeks b4 exam).
-Pretest vignettes 76% (2 1/2 weeks b4 exam).
-Rapid review usmle step 1 qbook 80% (2 weeks b4 exam).
-Blackwell free online exam 80% (2 weeks b4 exam).
-NBME form 1 670~252 (10 days b4 exam).
-NBME form 2 710~257 (5 days b4 D-day).

congrats man! looks like u're the mvp for 2005 for those who've gotten at lease 100+ posts. :thumbup:

I just want you all to know that you suck ass...each and every one of you. My score is somewhere out there unreachable till the offices at my school open again tomorrow...damn this IM clerkship distracting me, im dying to know how I did.

Congrats to all the great scores.

woohoo!

196/80

thank you sdn for all the tips.

Dermatology, here I come. :horns:

YouDontKnowJack said:
woohoo!

196/80

thank you sdn for all the tips.

Dermatology, here I come. :horns:

hey, what was ur prep like and nbme scores (if you took them)?

Congrats to everyone who's done well so far--you gunners ;)! :D

Anyone out on the West Coast get their scores yet?

Congratuatations everyone! Great Score Long Dong!

I can't wait to see Idq1i, p53, and Pox's score!

p53 and Pox don't forget to post your step 1 experience too!

256/99....

I was shooting for a 250 so Im happy as all hell! I don't think there is anything I could have done to get a higher score.

For comparison:
NBME practice exam 240 one month out (form?)
Qbank 78%, fully completed on random 50 ? blocks.
MCAT 35

Resources (in order of importance to me):
FA, FA, FA annotated and studied about 10 times full through...this was the BIGGEST thing.
Kaplan series from 2002, read each book once and annotated FA with them except Path (which was useless) and Physiology (good, but I have a masters in physio and felt I didn't need it.
BRS path...filled in the path holes nicely, its as detailed as you need.
High yield neuroscience...Only one or two questions showed up.
Moore blue boxes...again a question or two.

Good scores all and good luck to those still waiting.

Ok, So I am very happy with my score although compared to SDNers I feel like a tool. But in order to bring some normalcy to these awesome scores, heregoes!
Step 1: 226 :D
NBME Form 1 one week before: 520 (224) pretty dead on!!!
Now comes the kicker for all you MCAT correlators.....
MCAT: 22 :eek:
Top 20% in class
Not bad for a "loser who shouldn't even be in med school" :laugh:

I studied for about 4 weeks five hours a day, I used FA, Step Up, and BRS Phys/Path. That is about it. I got exactly what I was shooting for to be IM or FP. So it may not be a 250, but I am proud of it, so come on you normals, lets here some scores!!! :)

I am so relieved to hear that. I thought I was the only "normal" person around here. Another 4 weeks before my test....... :eek:

VJWDO said:
Ok, So I am very happy with my score although compared to SDNers I feel like a tool. But in order to bring some normalcy to these awesome scores, heregoes!
Step 1: 226 :D
NBME Form 1 one week before: 520 (224) pretty dead on!!!
Now comes the kicker for all you MCAT correlators.....
MCAT: 22 :eek:
Top 20% in class
Not bad for a "loser who shouldn't even be in med school" :laugh:

I studied for about 4 weeks five hours a day, I used FA, Step Up, and BRS Phys/Path. That is about it. I got exactly what I was shooting for to be IM or FP. So it may not be a 250, but I am proud of it, so come on you normals, lets here some scores!!! :)

243/98

NBME 1: 540 (228) 5 days before exam
entire kaplan qbank-72% not random
150 released items-75%
I mainly used first aid, brs path, HY neuro, HY behavior, micro made simple, brs phys.
Class rank: top 10%
I studied for six weeks but I think I would have done the same if I had only studied for 5 weeks.

can anyone tell me what was this year's standard deviation and mean? do they tell you on your score report?
and what does the 2nd # mean?

the school told me my number today - 249. i'm pretty happy!

Nosa said:
can anyone tell me what was this year's standard deviation and mean? do they tell you on your score report?
and what does the 2nd # mean?

the school told me my number today - 249. i'm pretty happy!
The second number is your "two-digit score." It is NOT a percentile and is just a representation of your more important three-digit score. Anyone with >240 or so will get a "99" two-digit score. Hope this helps.

it seems to me everyone who posted their score here were like >230. there seems to be a selection bias, in that only people who got really high scores are putting thier numbers. what about the rest of the people less thatn 90th percentile or 80th or 60th??

are there anyone out there who didn't score above like 220 and willing to put up the same info? i saw one guy put 196 or something like that.

are you not supposed to put your score if you got below 230 and tell us how you studied?

:)

Ok, have been a lurker for awhile, loved reading the post from last year so thought I would share
USMLE: 242
I was very shocked by my score
I would like to thank God, without him it would not be possible, Dr. Goljan, His hi yields were not very high yield but his lecures were awsome and right on the mark for step 1, and my friend I studied step 1 with without him my score would be much lower, thanks dude for keeping me motivated

My study method:
I took the Kaplan class and read the books 3 times, all I thought were great and right on cue for step 1, except path go with Dr. G
I studied 5 weeks solid avg of 10-14 hrs per day
Went through Goljan's Cds probably 4-5 times through out 2nd year
MCAT: B10 PS10 V9
Comp basic science exam 67 (192)
Qbank 40% completed all random 65% at the start half 72% half 80-82 at the end
Mid of my class at an avg med school in the SE
Good luck to everyone if you put in the time you can get the score your shooting for. Anyone know the mean and SD?