*** Official 2005 Step I Results Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, let's get this off right. Results were just released in my neck of the woods, 12:00 EST.

Just like last year, let's have a cohesive thread. Be sure to mention your Step I score (of course!) and any other correlative material you choose (study plan, NBME exams, etc.).

Best of luck, let's keep it cordial.

Members don't see this ad.

p53 said:
You are talking between your legs, long dong.

Name one person from this year's Step 1 examination besides Komodor that I attacked as being artificial. Sure I have attacked BigFrank's credibility. But neither had the highest Step 1 score for their respective years. Sure, I might be wrong about BigFrank because his posts show isolated moments of substance, but Komodor is mentally a lilliputian.

Exhibit A

He NEED a 268. :laugh:
Ah...the true TOOL. Reduced to pointing out grammatical errors. This p53 really needs a life.

p53 said:
You are talking between your legs, long dong.

Name one person from this year's Step 1 examination besides Komodor that I attacked as being artificial. Sure I have attacked BigFrank's credibility. But neither had the highest Step 1 score for their respective years. Sure, I might be wrong about BigFrank because his posts show isolated moments of substance, but Komodor is mentally a lilliputian.

Exhibit A

He NEED a 268. :laugh:

I wasn't talking about the attack on credibility thing with komodar or with others. I was just saying that this thread has degenerated to a big fued between you and a few others. that's all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's get back to comparing e-penises.

USMLE-245/99
MCAT--37
Shoe Size--12
Debt-- 80,000+ and rising.
Car -- Ford Explorer

Kluver_Bucy said:
Am I the only one that is wondering about Pox's score and Step 1 experience? :D
We're all pulling for you Pox! This is a nice forum, really it is. :)

Step 1- 240
NBME 1--550 = 230 (3 weeks before and untimed)
NBME 2--610= 242 (but i admit to changing an answer or two after time was up-1 week before)
MCAT- 26 (i think, maybe it was 27?)
college GPA- 3.9+
med school GPA- 3.9+
i'm not a good test taker, i'm slow, and i used every minute of the 8 hours allowed. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, and have never been considered "smart." I think medicine (first 2 years and step 1) comes down to hard work. You get out what you put in, and i think that is fair.
Best of luck to those still waiting! do your best and you will be fine.
streetdoc

Score is finally in.

Step I: 269/99

NBME1: 600 (3 weeks prior)
NBME2: 800 (4 days prior)

Enjoy.

Thank you kindly.
I hope I don't have to prove it since this place is so nuts these days.

This one is for the HBCU's and URM's out there.

248/99

MCAT - 28
SAT - 1370
NBME form 1 - 610 (242) - 12 days before
Class rank - very good

Really, really, really wanted to break 250, but I guess that was just for ego and the 99 two digit is what really matters.

Wrigleyville said:

USMLE-245/99

Congrats Wriggley! I knew you'd do well :)
I wish I could have broken 250, but my 240 will have to do.

im taking the usmle in sept. can anyone tell me where i can find the NBME form that ppl have talked about in this thread? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
kpax18 said:
im taking the usmle in sept. can anyone tell me where i can find the NBME form that ppl have talked about in this thread? thanks

Go to the nbme site (nbme.org) and click on self-assesstment services. They're not free but it's well worth it.

saco said:
Score is finally in.

Enjoy.

I call BS!!#@$%

But I'll leave it to p53 to have you prove/scan your score. :thumbup::thumbup:

YouDontKnowJack said:
I call BS!!#@$%

But I'll leave it to p53 to have you prove/scan your score. :thumbup::thumbup:

Since I am brought into the conversation. I agree with you. Someone that truly scored that high wouldn't automatically say I hope I don't have to prove it. BTW, I'm personally not giving any more legs to frauds.

SDN is full of other smart people with common sense still intact. I'm no longer going to push buttons of the people that lied. It is entertaining but not intellectually stimulating.

RLMD said:
This one is for the HBCU's and URM's out there.

248/99

MCAT - 28
SAT - 1370
NBME form 1 - 610 (242) - 12 days before
Class rank - very good

Really, really, really wanted to break 250, but I guess that was just for ego and the 99 two digit is what really matters.

This one is completely honest and believeable. The first sentence is a dead giveaway, and the last sentence is confirmatory. Congrats on your 248.

ondansatron said:
Hi everyone,

SAT 1580 (800 V, 780 M)
MCAT 36-38 (11 physical science, 12 bio, 13-15 verbal)
Q-bank : 70% but only 35% completed
150 Released questions : 74% (4 weeks before)
NBME 1 : 228 (5 days before)
NMBE 2: 236 (3 days before)
Step 1: 244/99

I was very pleasantly surprised by my score. I left the test feeling that I had my a** kicked by the test. There were sections where I was unsure about the answer on over 50% of the questions! I also knew that there were ~10 questions that I got wrong for sure. But I've always done pretty well on standardized tests in the past, so I guess things worked out in the end.

How I studied... I studied for 5 weeks, but took weekends off to go to weddings and such. I pretty much only used FA and Kaplan q bank (used BRS path a little). FA i went through very throughly and understood, *really* understood all of it. I also annotated it extensively with class notes, or looked at other resources when I didn't understand it. In terms of content, I didn't find Q bank that helpful. the questions were too nitpicky and didn't test the big concepts (which I would argue is the focus of the real test). However it was useful because I got used to taking timed tests on a computer.

How i structured my day.... i did almost all my studying with my roommate. We'd start in the morning at 9 and do questions on our own until 12. Then we'd go through FA together from 1 to 8 or 9pm. If we had enough energy, we'd finish off the day doing more questions on our own. Needless to say, we get along very well. I would not suggest doing this unless you know that you study well together! But if you do I would highly recommend it. we kept each other motivated, taught each other a ton, and paradoxically slowed each other down so that we actually *learned* what was in FA instead of just skimming over it.

Last Thoughts:
1) be sure to use the most current edition of First Aid. I started off using the 2004 version, but found that the 2005 version had a lot of changes and improvements. note: I was also a little nervous that it wouldn't be enough. a lot of people i know were using all sorts of different books and resources. I couldn't understand how they could learn that much stuff when just learning what was in FA was taking me so long! the only other book that I used somewhat regularly was BRS path.

2) take breaks - i would have gone crazy if i had studied for 5 weeks straight. the weekends were key to my sanity!

3) take your first 2 years of med school seriously. though i learned a lot during my 5 weeks of boards study, it was really just the icing on the cake. I'm sure it made my score go up, but i don't know how different my score would have been if i hadn't studied at all. I was always going back to things I had learned during class to answer a majority of the questions. It was only the rarer "fact" questions that my studying helped with.

4) the anatomy section in FA kinda sucks and definitely is not enough.

5) do the NBME tests. they were spot on in terms of concepts and question difficulty... and quite a few people I knew got the exact same questions on the real test! I took them timed, but wrote down a reminder about questions that I wanted to look up later. there is an option to do them in "study mode" which is not timed.

Another TRUTHFUL post. Congrats on your 244.

Compare this to Komodor's post. This post has meat on its bones, not filler BS such as I spent 10 day reading BRS Pathology (2 times).

p53 said:
Since I am brought into the conversation. I agree with you. Someone that truly scored that high wouldn't automatically say I hope I don't have to prove it. BTW, I'm personally not giving any more legs to frauds.

SDN is full of other smart people with common sense still intact. I'm no longer going to push buttons of the people that lied. It is entertaining but not intellectually stimulating.

Ok you tool. I hope you would just go away. I'll post a link, but I don't want to hear later how some tool made me prove my score.
Since this thread is about scores, I'll take credit where credit is due.

Long Dong said:
Step 1 259/99

Here are the correlations for those interested and for next year for those who want to compare their progress with mine. People who did this last year I found it very helpful in seeing where I stood.

-MCAT 36N (9v,12p,15b).
-undergrad gpa 3.49.
-med school rank NA (strict P/F school).
-CBSE 88~245 (10 weeks b4 exam).
-BSS ~72%, started in jan doing 50 Qs/day/5 days a week (finished 9 weeks b4 exam).
-Qbank 78%, all random, all timed (finished 5 weeks b4 exam).
-Step 1 released items (41,43,44)=85% (4 weeks b4 exam).
-NMS 78% (3 weeks b4 exam).
-Kaplan full length simulated 77% (3 weeks b4 exam).
-Blueprints 85% (2 1/2 weeks b4 exam).
-Pretest vignettes 76% (2 1/2 weeks b4 exam).
-Rapid review usmle step 1 qbook 80% (2 weeks b4 exam).
-Blackwell free online exam 80% (2 weeks b4 exam).
-NBME form 1 670~252 (10 days b4 exam).
-NBME form 2 710~257 (5 days b4 D-day).

I'd like to thank big frank, idiopathic, and jalby for all their advice. I couldn't have gotten this score without their help, I'll be emailing you guys amazon gift certificates soon.

Congratulation man...........................that is an amazing and well deserved score...............people like you, HTruth and BF prove that you can be smart/hard working in med school and not be a tool. As far as I am concerned you are this years only proven MVP.

Wow. In light of this conversation (if you can call it that), I'm wondering what the purpose of this exam is anymore. It seems like those who do the best, are those who value the #'s game enough to do that well. Sure, some people are just total brains and do fantastic anyway, but I get the distinct impression that the majority of those who do well, do so because they put a RIDICULOUS amount of energy into preparation. And if that's the case, then what is the exam testing?

Example:
Take a student who's at the top of his class because he studied his tail off all year. Studies four weeks, gets a 230. Good job.

Now take another student who was also at the top of his class, another solid work ethic. However, he likes high numbers so he studies for ten weeks and gets a 245. He makes the cutoff for rads at UCSF and maybe the first guy doesn't.

What did the exam just accomplish? It just seperated those who care about numbers from those who don't. Worse yet, UCSF ends up with some schmuck who likes watching his car-odometer go up.

I hereby call bull**** on that last odometer reading,

HamOn

p53 is one funny guy.

for one thing I can confirm Tool_fan's score and "his friend's" score of 269, not that such things need confirming though. (seriously tho, the average from that study group is mindblowing).

anyways congrats to all the Northwestern ppl. the average this year is going to be ridiculous. I've seen/heard more 240's and 250's and a couple of 260's than I thought possible.

really makes that Honors, High Pass, Pass thing matter more huh?

saco said:
I really don't feel bad doing this. For you p53, Mr.???/99.
http://saco.smugmug.com/gallery/694649/1/30209199/Large

Don't even know why I'm getting involved.

OK to summarize, you took a pic of your score report, and linked it here to gain approval from some annonymous dude on the net. Are you really that desperate for validation? Why do you care so much about what a bunch of people who you'll probably never meet face to face in your life think about your achievement? I fyou really got that score, you know it's the truth and that should be all that matters.

By the way, since no one knows what your real name is and since you obscured your personal info on the score report, for all p53 or anyone else know, that could be your roomates or anyone else'. It proves nothing.

But I'll believe you got a two sixty-whatever, if you care.

Pompacil said:
Don't even know why I'm getting involved.

OK to summarize, you took a pic of your score report, and linked it here to gain approval from some annonymous dude on the net. Are you really that desperate for validation? Why do you care so much about what a bunch of people who you'll probably never meet face to face in your life think about your achievement? I fyou really got that score, you know it's the truth and that should be all that matters.

By the way, since no one knows what your real name is and since you obscured your personal info on the score report, for all p53 or anyone else know, that could be your roomates or anyone else'. It proves nothing.

But I'll believe you got a two sixty-whatever, if you care.

I hardly look for approval. I usually found this forum quite useful, but I'm really tired of reading p53's endless crap.
How can you expect me to disclose my name and address.

Attachments

• file.JPG
    file.JPG
    3 KB · Views: 298
saco said:
I hardly look for approval. I usually found this forum quite useful, but I'm really tired of reading p53's endless crap.

You're smart enough to score 269 I'd expect you to be smart enough to disclose your name/adress.

But without that then the pic of your report is just a number. So why bother putting forth the effort? You could have done something useful in that time, like drink a beer or something.

And I find this place damn useful too. Probably got me an extra 5 points. All I'm saying is that one poster is calling out your score...who cares?

233/94

1 week crappy studying
4 weeks 12 hr/day

95% qbank completed at 71%

First Aid all the way... didn't review anything else except for about 3 chapters of random BRS Anatomy and Neuroanatomy (upper arm, inner ear, sporatic on the toilet reading). I did read the first 15 cases on Step up to the bedside... did about 50% lippincott pharm cards.

top 25% of class --> no honors

mcat 34
UGPA 3.4 Biochemistry

carrigallen said:
The "269" in the image has obviously been pasted in with photoshop.

I feel pity for the poor soul.

You obviously don't know much about jpeg compression for the web. However, on the linked page click on "original" on the bottom of the page. You might learn something

saco said:

This reminds me when I was at a club 3 years ago, and this girl came up to me. She said, "Don't even think about it, I've heard about you, you have no chance to hook up with me tonite." Guess what...The next morning I made her breakfast.

I never asked for your score, Saco. Do me a favor, and congratulate the person that took the exam on July 1st. I guess I have a reputation on SDN, just like my old frat boy days in the Big Ten.

p53 said:
The best way to do this is to give a Step 1 experience to future students. So, why don't both of you type something up for SDN.

I was wondering about your study plan too since you scored a 770. Could you provide a link??????????

p53 said:
I never asked for your score. Do me a favor, and congratulate the person that took the exam on July 1st.

That is all I really wanted. Congratulations accepted.
The score is in. I'm over Step 1. Anyhow, it will be 6 years untill I need it.

chak_de_phatee said:
I was wondering about your study plan too since you scored a 770. Could you provide a link??????????

Actually there is a person on SDN that saw my NBME score in person. As long as he saw the score, that is all I care about. BTW, I still have my answer key to the exam.

saco, obviously a real report. Again, congratulations. At least you've had the courage to come out, post your score, and back it up when the naysayers come to call. Nice work.

bigfrank said:
saco, obviously a real report. Again, congratulations. At least you've had the courage to come out, post your score, and back it up when the naysayers come to call. Nice work.

Thanks again. I think it's time for me to let it go. Otherwise this will turn into what I hate the most about SDN - endless arguments and posts with no substance..

250, 260... fantastic scores

.... which mean very little if all your patients, the nurses, residents and attendings have a voodoo doll out for you. You belong to a profession that weighs heavily on subjective evaluation of your personality. Assh*les can make it so far, but end up broke when patients never return and other physicians think thrice before sending them a referral.

But anyway, congrats to everyone who passed! Many many only dream of getting this far. To those who read these threads and feel inferior (we all know selection bias is at work), remember test scores are just that - test scores. They're not an accurate reflection of good clinical skills, but rather test-taking skills.

p53 said:
Actually there is a person on SDN that saw my NBME score in person. As long as he saw the score, that is all I care about. BTW, I still have my answer key to the exam.

Wow, I cant believe some of these people will actually be practicing physicians. GET OVER YOURSELF. I swear, some of you act like you are still playing in the sandbox in grade school. "Ohhh yaaaa, well I got a score of blah blah and here is my report! My mommy put it on the refrigerator and my daddy says I'm the smartest boy ever, and my friend even saw my score and said its REAL without any of that photoshop stuff!" I cant wait til a resident makes you look like an absolute tool. If arrogance, jealously, stupidity, and insecurity were plotted as a normal distribution, you guys wouldnt get a 269, you'd get the 270. Dont bother replying with stuff like "oh ya well lets see your score! I bet your mommy doesnt think you're the smartest boy ever!" Get over it, I'm not interested in your little grade school comeback.

To those who did get anywhere from a 182 to a 270, congratulations. You dont need to prove it to anybody but yourself, unlike some other people here.

p53 said:
This reminds me when I was at a club 3 years ago, and this girl came up to me. She said, "Don't even think about it, I've heard about you, you have no chance to hook up with me tonite." Guess what...The next morning I made her breakfast.
HAHAHAHA!!!! p53, you and your right hand are the ONLY visitors of this site that even dream of believing your BS story.

indn4ever said:
Wow, I cant believe some of these people will actually be practicing physicians. GET OVER YOURSELF. I swear, some of you act like you are still playing in the sandbox in grade school. "Ohhh yaaaa, well I got a score of blah blah and here is my report! My mommy put it on the refrigerator and my daddy says I'm the smartest boy ever, and my friend even saw my score and said its REAL without any of that photoshop stuff!" I cant wait til a resident makes you look like an absolute tool. If arrogance, jealously, stupidity, and insecurity were plotted as a normal distribution, you guys wouldnt get a 269, you'd get the 270. Dont bother replying with stuff like "oh ya well lets see your score! I bet your mommy doesnt think you're the smartest boy ever!" Get over it, I'm not interested in your little grade school comeback.

To those who did get anywhere from a 182 to a 270, congratulations. You dont need to prove it to anybody but yourself, unlike some other people here.

BigFrank has accused people of being jealous 287 times in the last year. This is the first time I have seen clear evidence of it. I hope he is making a mental note of this presentation.

p53, give it up, please. This is becoming painful (but still humorous) to see.

So you didn't do as well as you hoped on Step I.......don't worry about. I doubt that your Step I score will hinder you in any way. Best of luck to you.

saco said:
Score is finally in.

Enjoy.

Congrats bro that's the bomb a$$ score. :thumbup:
How about telling others how you did it?

p53 said:
This one is completely honest and believeable. The first sentence is a dead giveaway, and the last sentence is confirmatory. Congrats on your 248.

From p53's posts I would say he scored between a 248 and 268. He seems to congratulate people that scored lower, and attack people that scored higher.

chak_de_phatee said:
Congratulation man...........................that is an amazing and well deserved score...............people like you, HTruth and BF prove that you can be smart/hard working in med school and not be a tool. As far as I am concerned you are this years only proven MVP.
Thanks bro. I'm just a squirrel tryin to get a nut.

Hope all is going good with you too.

saco said:
I really don't feel bad doing this. For you p53, Mr.???/99.
http://saco.smugmug.com/gallery/694649/1/30209199/Large

Congrats!!!!.....wow!!...awesome..awesome score. I am beyond impressed. For those of us taking the test in the coming weeks can you please provide some insight into your study plans...resources you would recommend etc....once you stop celebrating that is. Again..congrats Saco..that is a phenomenal score! :eek:

Wrigleyville said:

USMLE-245/99
MCAT--37
Shoe Size--12
Debt-- 80,000+ and rising.
Car -- Ford Explorer

Congrats Wrigleyville. Thanks for helping me out on Kluver's Kwestions!! :D

bigfrank said:
We're all pulling for you Pox! This is a nice forum, really it is. :)

Do you think he hasn't received his scores? Talk about anxiety.

It would be nice if more people besides BigFrank and myself were showing support to Pox.

I'm sure you will have one of the top scores! Hang in there! :love:

Pox in a box said:
I don't know what's going on. My scores didn't come in today. I checked my mailbox this afternoon and they weren't there. I was too nervous to go to the SAO this week when I heard from others that the scores had arrived. I was studying all week for an exam and didn't want to risk getting complacent for that one. When I checked my mailbox, the other mail was there but nothing from the NBME...anyone got any ideas? :confused:

Any news? Did you call NBME.