*** Official 2005 Step I Results Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, let's get this off right. Results were just released in my neck of the woods, 12:00 EST.

Just like last year, let's have a cohesive thread. Be sure to mention your Step I score (of course!) and any other correlative material you choose (study plan, NBME exams, etc.).

Best of luck, let's keep it cordial.

Members don't see this ad.

p53 said:
Actually, if anything I should be laughing at you if we compared scores. I'm not that kind of person, so here's an olive branch. Good job on your Step 1. :D
Not buying this one. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
the only reason p53 won't post his score is that he scored an embarrassingly low 250 or mid 240, and therefore has failed to live up to his loudmouth status.

Rather than losing face outright, he chooses to beat around the bush and leave us in suspense.

p53 said:
Turnabout is fair play.
... and Pride goeth before the fall.

In any case, like I said earlier, I doubt your Step I score has hindered anything except your ego.

YouDontKnowJack said:
the only reason p53 won't post his score is that he scored an embarrassingly low 250 or mid 240, and therefore has failed to live up to his loudmouth status.

Rather than losing face outright, he chooses to beat around the bush and leave us in suspense.

If he believed the crap he's saying about all things being equal after 240 then he shouldn't have a problem right?

Unless he's even lower?

Anyway, all I can say is that I'm ecstactic over my "low 250 or mid 240." But I don't have a preparation diary and I wasn't talking **** so I guess the stakes were significantly lower for me.

YouDontKnowJack said:

My co-MVPs for 2005 are Pox and Kaos for helping students this year on SDN, yet standing their ground on their USMLE scores. One revealed his score when MOST would not have revealed it, and the other didn't reveal his score as a matter of principle.

In their respective ways, they have shown strength by standing in front of the the Brutuses and Cassiuses that thrive on SDN.

2TIM4:7 said:
How do you know you would have scored >250 if you went through FA a couple more times? You seem pretty conceited on top of the fact that you said in italics,'...had a life AND did well on Step 1.' And BTW, your attending probably found out your score due to you saying it to someone. Something tells me you did not keep your score a secret.

Please don't disrespect the people who scored >250 (or even 270) AND had a life as well. Your portrait of a perfectly balanced life is admirable, but don't use it as an excuse to boost your self-esteem at the expense of others.

This is just a classic example of why I abhor SDN sometimes. For goodness sake, I am not trying to boost my self esteem at the expense of others, I don't need to- I really am happy with 240. To those who scored 250, 260, 270 I say congrats. :clap: From the bottom of my heart you have my admiration and respect, because you don't get a score like that by accident. But I would have had to put in a lot more time and sacrifice any form of sanity to do it. I wasn't willing study up until the last minute only to have 3 days off before the wards. That's what it would have taken for me to possibly break 250. I guess you didn't catch my sarcasm with the First Aid comment, besides I never said I would have broken 250, I said with more studying I might have come closer. Go back and read the post, it's not rocket science.

Anyway, I don't make excuses, in fact I'm giving props to those that did put in the 4 or 5 or 6 weeks to study hard, you deserve it. Bottom line is, SDN (and this thread in particular) will make you feel as though any less than 99 is a failure and I stand by my previous post that it's not.

YouDontKnowJack said:
a little dose of shakespeare
Yes, I am aware of the reference, but it doesn't make any sense. Brutus and Cassius were both rebels -- why would someone say that people who are being praised for bucking the system and resisting social pressure to conform (which is what Brutus and Cassius did) are "standing up" to brutus and cassius?

p53 said:
Actually, if anything I should be laughing at you if we compared scores. I'm not that kind of person, so here's an olive branch. Good job on your Step 1. :D

Since BigFrank is hinting around like a woman. Yes, I am disappointed with my score. This should make his day since he will be able to read between the lines.

Thank you.

I'm sure the Internet Forum version of your step I score is higher than my real score

BTW, I don't really care what your score is. My midterm evaluation backs up my score.

Members don't see this ad :)
idq1i said:
Thank you.

I'm sure the Internet Forum version of your step I score is higher than my real score

BTW, I don't really care what your score is. My midterm evaluation backs up my score.

Ahhhh, a pyrrhic victory indeed. One that legitimizes your transient clinical superiority at the expense of exposing your insecurity. Congratulations on the midterm evaluation, but I seized the greater prize.

I hesitate only barely to irrerupt this drizel and restore this thread to the useful source of data for would-be test takers that it served to be only a few days ago.

So, for those wishing to continue the tired debate above on whether stores are legitimate, please move along to another thread.

As for scores, correlations, preparation and thoughts, here are my experiences:

262/99
NBME 1: 650 4 wks out
NBME 2: 740 1 wk out
q-bank: 77%

General thots on prep:
-stay curious, even to the end. You will earn mileage by exploring the how and why more than recounting first aids associations.
-1st aid is good. however, you can get a 260 (or 250, 240) without it. in fact, it might be easier, as once you have studied appropriately, 1st aid is a bit redundant. that said, i found it useful in my final week and did read it twice then
-set a strict study schedule and stick to it. I defined exactly what i wanted to accomplish each day over 6 wk period
-if a source ain't working, then chuck it, even if you paid good money for it
-as bigfrank said last year, integrate. . be active with the material and try to bring it to life--as long as info sits idly on the pages of 1st aid, it aint going to make it into your head in any usable manner. in other words, make your own associations

Questions:
-doing many questions = success.
My top tier sources: Appleton & Langes for Step 1 & Robbin's Q's
2nd tier: Webpath (just an expanded Robbins Q--CD also available with
even more
3rd tier: various Q's in BRS phys, path and behav science
4th tier: Q-bank. A lot of money per question and more of a focus on
minutia than the actual exam. I did all of it, but more because
i'm ocd than that it was helpful

Books:
My top tier sources: Robbins textbook - i argue for reading 800 pager
2nd tier: Path B&W, BRS phys, BRS behav science, High Yield M<oBio,
HY Neuro, Katzung pharm, Lippincott biochem
3rd tier: BRS path (Q's good, text = impossible to get anything out of)
4th tier: 1st aid: although i found anatomy, embryo & biochem to be solid

The exam:
-i never felt comfortable. i guessed more than i expected. I encountered many things i wasn;'t sure about. i found common sense and the ability to slow down and think it through to be as big assets as the facts in my head

Those are my thots for now. Wanted to thank bigdong and longfrank (or whomever) and all the others for their advice for this arduous process.

-thankssdn1

thankssdn1: thank you for the post and the advice. And Congrats!!!

P.S. Longfrank/Bigdong signing off!!!

bigfrank said:
thankssdn1: thank you for the post and the advice. And Congrats!!!

P.S. Longfrank/Bigdong signing off!!!

this translocation of names should be censored by the mods. :wow:

thankssdn1 said:
Those are my thots for now. Wanted to thank bigdong and longfrank (or whomever) and all the others for their advice for this arduous process.

-thankssdn1

hahaha. that was a good laugh.

IQ: 142 (in second grade, that official school one)
SAT: 1410
MCAT: 1st try: 8v11p11bOw 2nd try: 10v11p12bPw
Tries to get into med school: 3
Top rope: 5.10b/c
Lead: 5.8+
NBME 4 days before: 232
Step 1: 243(98) Whoo!

Honestly, guys, quit looking at the scores posted here as a comparison to your own, only us jerks in the '40s and '50s are excited enough to want to share our scores, and have the time to NOT study for our rotations and jack about online. The mean is the mean. You did fine.

Everyone on this forum has had a better week than Rafael Palmeiro.

p53 said:
Ahhhh, a pyrrhic victory indeed. One that legitimizes your transient clinical superiority at the expense of exposing your insecurity. Congratulations on the midterm evaluation, but I seized the greater prize.
The greater prize? You've kicked your chronic m_st_rb_t_ _ n habit (wanna buy a vowel, genius?)??? Congrats!

EasyRider said:
Correlations?

1st Born Child
3rd place out of 1200+ in Middle School Spelling Bee
1st Girlfriend at age 15
1st Job at age 16 (Bagging Groceries)
1st "Real" ;) :D Girlfriend at age 16
Top 1/4 Public High School (440 Students)
ACT 33 (~1400 SAT) composite (36 Math)
# of times called a slacker by my mother in high school = 100+?
Freshman GPA 2.76/4.00 (too hungover for classes)
HotorNot 9.2 (ex-girlfriend posted my photo at www.hotornot.com)
1st time used a cheap pickup line on a girl at a bar = age 17 (fake ID)
# of times a girl laughed at me for my lame pickup attempts as a freshman = 10+
1st time used a cheap pickup line and it worked = age 19
3.44/4.00 GPA B.S. Mechanical Engineering at # 4 in link (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/eng/brief/engrank_brief.php)
3.95/4.00 GPA M.S. Physiology
MCAT 13 BS, 12 PS, 9 V, R Writing
Rejected by all medical schools in Illinois first time applying AMCAS
Fastest on Motorcycle: 155 mph
Number of Speeding Tickets: 3
1st Medical school exam 62/100 in Histology (FLUNKED) :thumbdown:
% of time I was tardy for a medical school examination in two years = ~90%
Personality Profile: ESTP (http://www.typelogic.com/estp.html)
Pathology Shelf Exam 610
Class Rank after two years in medical school top 1/3
Minutes late for Step 1 examination on test day= 24 minutes
Kept in personal locker on Step 1 day = 2 Beef Jerkys and a Twinkie
Step 1 Score 241/97 (Perfect Asterisk for Histology/Cell Biology section :thumbup: )
Now, I am a horrible speller.

Number of mistakes in this post by PTI's Statboy (http://espn.go.com/eoe/reali_bio.html) = 0

Finally someone posts the information we're REALLY looking for... the girlfriend age vs step 1 score ratio... :D love the post EasyRider!

Shane

I just got a copy of Goljan's scanned notes and I noticed it has several different kinds of high-yield notes and questions. Can anyone tell me which of the following they used and found most helpful for STEP 1? Thanks--

-HY Notes Pathology 2002 (100p)
-HY Questions for USMLE (36p)

-Integrated Pathology Notes 2001 (44p)
-HY Questions (89p)
-Goljan Notes Part I and II (184 and 166p)

Thanks!

yodi said:
I just got a copy of Goljan's scanned notes and I noticed it has several different kinds of high-yield notes and questions. Can anyone tell me which of the following they used and found most helpful for STEP 1? Thanks--

-HY Notes Pathology 2002 (100p)
-HY Questions for USMLE (36p)

-Integrated Pathology Notes 2001 (44p)
-HY Questions (89p)
-Goljan Notes Part I and II (184 and 166p)

Thanks!

sorry to post here...but where did you get them from??? sorry again cause this thread is not for this kind of post. i understand if you will hate me. :(

TY06 said:
sorry to post here...but where did you get them from??? sorry again cause this thread is not for this kind of post. i understand if you will hate me. :(

On Ebay. Thats where I got mine. Some guy/gal named "Christmasgift" is selling them for a starting price of $2.89 (plus 9.99 shipping/handling). It's real cheap so I suggest you get it now. G'luck!

TY06 said:
I think you go to the same school as I do. If so, I posted them on our class website last year, and some other guy posted all the lectures as well. I'm not sure if you are class of 2007 or 2008. If you are class of 2008 I gave 4 members of your class (Sean, Sam, Justin, Kim) 4 CDs that have web prep, goljan (notes & lecture), and over 8,000 questions (qbank, nms, BSS) on them. Ask them to make you a copy, or let you borrow them so you can burn them.

i just wanted to add my score for anyone who is freaking out from their qbank scores. I found qbank not be be particularly hard, but extremely picky. There were things I just didn't know or ever heard about. My experience on Step I on the other hand was pretty much a straightforward exam. Obviously there were things I didn't know, but for the most part I thought it was fair. Here are my scores.

Step I: 237/96 not stunning but I think decent
Qbank avg: 60%
NBME A exam: I don't remember the numbers but it was eq to around 238
Kaplan: didn't take, no time, and was sick of practice exams

I studied for about 6 weeks, and took the kaplan course (intenseprep). I did no prior studying exclusively during m2 year for step I until the end, but during 2nd year I really paid attention in class and did well. Obviously this is just one example, I just wanted to add in my opinion that qbank avg's aren't exactly accurate.

Nafs said:
i just wanted to add my score for anyone who is freaking out from their qbank scores. I found qbank not be be particularly hard, but extremely picky. There were things I just didn't know or ever heard about. My experience on Step I on the other hand was pretty much a straightforward exam. Obviously there were things I didn't know, but for the most part I thought it was fair. Here are my scores.

Step I: 237/93 not stunning but I think decent

I studied for about 6 weeks, and took the kaplan course (intenseprep). I did no prior studying exclusively during m2 year for step I until the end, but during 2nd year I really paid attention in class and did well. Obviously this is just one example, I just wanted to add in my opinion that qbank avg's aren't exactly accurate.

LOL you hang out here waaaaay too much if you think a 237 is "decent."
216 avg remember?

I know but this forum makes one feel mediocre! this site was really helpful but at times makes you feel really stupid at times.

Nafs said:
Step I: 237/96 not stunning but I think decent

Another person lies on SDN about his/her Step 1 score. :rolleyes:
Notice there is a 237/93 on Pompacil's response.

p53 said:
In a string of overtly tragic posts by p53, I'd say this ranks somewhere in the middle.

Not as pathetic as offering someone money to beat your [unnamed] score, but moreso than than your Step I diary.

I really should get about 20 people from the class below me to take your money.

p53 said:

:rolleyes: who really cares? if he really meant to mislead people, then he would've posted a higher 3 digit score along with the 96.

why don't we all adjourn for the next couple of years and return with our residency match?

oh btw, p53 and all others who think so highly of board scores...i hope you have more to talk about than 3 digits during your 30 minute interview.

i know i for one will have much more to talk about. :)

dcpark74 said:
if he really meant to mislead people, then he would've posted a higher 3 digit score along with the 96.

Not really because this person wouldn't have the insight to know the 3 digit range that matches the 2 digit score. If this person was telling the truth there wouldn't have been an inconsistency between the 3 digit and 2 digit score the first time around. Point blank, this person was trying to mislead.

The fact of the matter is that people on SDN lie about their step 1 scores. I was just pointing this out so people with scores that are not in the upper stratosphere do not feel bad about their score (ex: dcpark74) because this thread is littered with lies.

BTW, I don't believe in the theory that the reason SDN's Step 1 average is in the 230-240 range is because the students on here are stellar students. The argument that SDN selects excellent students based on natural selection/social selection is ridiculous. In fact, I would say that SDN's average would be near the national average. There is a nice cross section of ability. The reason the average is higher is because people below the national average don't post their score and the people above the national average lie about their score.

bigfrank said:
I really should get about 20 people from the class below me to take your money.

Just Bring it, Baby. Tell the twenty people in your class to scan their score to DW and I'll send DW my score. I love my odds. :D

p53 said:
Not really because this person wouldn't have the insight to know the 3 digit range that matches the 2 digit score. If this person was telling the truth there wouldn't have been an inconsistency between the 3 digit and 2 digit score the first time around. Point blank, this person was trying to mislead.

The fact of the matter is that people on SDN lie about their step 1 scores. I was just pointing this out so people with scores that are not in the upper stratosphere do not feel bad about their score (ex: dcpark74) because this thread is littered with lies.

BTW, I don't believe in the theory that the reason SDN's Step 1 average is in the 230-240 range is because the students on here are stellar students. The argument that SDN selects excellent students based on natural selection/social selection is ridiculous. In fact, I would say that SDN's average would be near the national average. There is a nice cross section of ability. The reason the average is higher is because people below the national average don't post their score and the people above the national average lie about their score.

I totally agree with you p53. It's about time you actually had a good post that wasn't full of garbage.

Step 1 score 188. Very disappointed. At least I passed. Maybe I should be like the other pretty girls in my school and bag a very smart guy with a bright future. ;)

Kluver_Bucy said:
Step 1 score 188. Very disappointed. At least I passed. Maybe I should be like the other pretty girls in my school and bag a very smart guy with a bright future. ;)
Congrats you passed, I don't know about me being smart or having a bright future, but any girl that is hypersexual and going to be a doctor I wanna be down with. :love:

p53 said:

I'm very sorry that you have such low self-esteem. Truly I am. It's quite sad that you have to resort to putting down people to lift yourself up.

You of all people have not even told us your 3 digit score. Now, why is that? I think i smell a hypocrite...someone who is so focused on scores doesn't even share his own. Why don't you just 'lie' like everyone else here?

I pause to even share my score since it would be a 'lie.' (253/99 btw. why should you believe me? because i could have posted a much higher score. i truly feel bad about my score like you said i would. :rolleyes: Also, 5 years of research, 1 publ. under my belt, 1 in manuscript, 2 patents...this is what I'll talk about during my interview.) Let me give you some advice. Those residency directors will smell your BS from the hallway before your interview. So, throw your arrogant, pretentious attitude by the wayside before you enter.

I reiterate...show us your match in a year or so. OK? Until then, you're still just a 3rd year med student.

Have a good day! :)

Nice post, dcpark. Thanks to all those with the courage to post their scores!!! Remember, this is an anonymous forum. Those that don't post their scores are probably a little too emotionally involved with this anonymous forum. Sad, really.

Definitely something to think about. ;)

dcpark74 said:
I pause to even share my score since it would be a 'lie.' (253/99 btw. why should you believe me? because i could have posted a much higher score. i truly feel bad about my score like you said i would. :rolleyes: Also, 5 years of research, 1 publ. under my belt, 1 in manuscript, 2 patents...this is what I'll talk about during my interview.) Let me give you some advice.

I reiterate...show us your match in a year or so. OK? Until then, you're still just a 3rd year med student.

Have a good day! :)

Nice job patting yourself on the back with your "accomplishments", yet you still lack LOGIC.

Don't worry, during the interview they will ALSO recognize your derailment of thoughts. Here is something to bring you back on track, I have never asked you or anyone else to post their Step 1 scores.

Let me repeat my main idea. There are individuals on here that boast artificial scores. My main concern is for those that have received their scores, and might feel down about a good score. I do not want these people to feel inferior because many scores are fabricated. Then you jumped in with your agenda (like you matter :D ).

Isn't it funny that you say that I lack self esteem when you are the one posting your accomplishments. Nice....

Wait, you might not have the cerebral aptitude to figure that one out. Bygones.

Long Dong said:
Congrats you passed, I don't know about me being smart or having a bright future, but any girl that is hypersexual and going to be a doctor I wanna be down with. :love:

Don't forget the hyperorality either ;) :D