COMLEX Official 2019 Comlex 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASGD1983

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time of the year. Anyone took new Comsae recently? Hopefully it's more predicitve than old ones that were all over the place - like +/- 100 points.
Also, interesting to hear if this years comlex is indeed changed? If anyone took it recently - please share your experience. Especially if you can compare it to previous year one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
COMSAE Form E - 1/25/19 - 481
COMSAE Form D - 6/03/19 - 486
COMSAE 105 - 6/04/19 - 402
COMLEX 1 - (7/2/19) - 458

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Using a ruler on my score sheet, it looks like the median was about 550-555, with a SD of +/- 40

Upon further inspection using Photoshop, the median for all test takers was ~546, and for all who passed being ~555. SD is +/- 40.

Quick percentile references using the above numbers: 84th Percentile = 626, 97.5th Percentile = 706. 32nd Percentile = 466. 2.5th Percentile = 386. You can probably calculate your individual scores using the above information.
Where did you get your percentile/score predictions from? My understanding was that with a normal curve, 1 SD away (595 in this case) would be 84th percentile and 2 SD away (635) would be 97.5th percentile. I think your means/SD are pretty spot on as I ended up with 651 which was ~ 2.4 SDs away based on my measurements. Compared to previous tests, it seems like the SD is much lower if the bar graph in the score report is accurate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lecture Exam average: within 1-2 points of class average. so 45-55th percentile in my class probably. I don’t know.
D (1/25): 450
E: (6/3): 529
105 (6/4): 476
104 (6/25): 518
COMLEX (7/3): 611.
I literally almost passed out when I got my score since I was expecting about 50-100 points lower.

Reactions: 1 users
COMSAE 101 (May 10): 355
COMSAE 104 (July 3): 390
COMBANK Assessment Retail (1 Week Out): 520
COMBANK Assessment Institutional (2 Weeks Out): 575
COMLEX (July 6): 480

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
COMSAE Form E - 1/25/19 - 481
COMSAE Form D - 6/03/19 - 486
COMSAE 105 - 6/04/19 - 402
COMLEX 1 - (7/2/19) - 458

Not the end of the road for EM. It's not gonna kick in doors, but ace the rotation and apply broadly. A big university affiliated EM program admitted people with less in my area. You got this!

Reactions: 7 users
560. I’ll take it. 228 step going for EM. Almost a bottom 1/3 student. Never took any practice tests for comlex or did omm question banks. Only watch omgomt videos after my step. So you can break 500 without much OMM specific prep as long as you are going hard for step

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
So I took the COMLEX yesterday. That was fun. would recommend if you're ever like bored with your life...

Heme. my test was focused on heme, 2nd was respiratory. i had 5 questions about vWF deficiency. This was kinda unfortunate as heme was the only section I didnt spend alot of time on but hopefully I got some of it right. Looking back, I think I knew or had a strong guess for like half the questions, the other half of each block I was like wtf? some were so random. Even if I studied for another month, I would've NEVER studied for those. my OMM was def more difficult than I felt like it needed to be. 2 counterstain questions and 2-3 chapman's reflex. Alot of videos about PSIS/ASIS. I only had one sacrum and one cranial question which was very disappointing. Alot of VS reflexes and figuring out what to treat first. I also struggled alot with time. By the last block in the afternoon, I was starting out at 50mins with 50 questions left (I also do not review questions normally). I actually only got 3-4 hours of sleep the night before and could not fall back asleep after 3am so I ended up staying up all the way till my test and doing it. So that's probably why I struggled alot with time.
For me, the videos didnt really take up too much time. The question prompts were alot shorter than I expected it to be. I did alot of COMQUEST questions and I felt the prompt length accurately represented it.

I had probably 5 questions about insurance which I probably all missed lol I know nothing about that stuff. 5 questions about asking for an interpreter which was great free points. The ethics wasn't so bad outside of the insurance questions. I did feel like the stats questions were more on the difficult end as well, could've def been easier (This aint step 1 yo). Lots of EKG, more so than chest x ray. Micro was half hard, half easy. I think the most surprised was how difficult my pharm and biochemistry questions were. I felt like those were def more specific or higher tier questions.

Probably failed but its ok. I'm tired of studying for this ****. Even if I have to retake it, I at least get some break.

Oh also I did have my screen freeze, but I only ended up losing 3-4 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Looking back to the 2017-2018 cycle it looks like the comlex level 1 average was around 550 which equated to a score of 520 being around 38 percentile. Having scored at 520 this year I am just concerned that this could be another high average year. 520 last year and all cycles than 2017-2018 yielded 44-48 percentile respectively.

Where did you get your percentile/score predictions from? My understanding was that with a normal curve, 1 SD away (595 in this case) would be 84th percentile and 2 SD away (635) would be 97.5th percentile. I think your means/SD are pretty spot on as I ended up with 651 which was ~ 2.4 SDs away based on my measurements. Compared to previous tests, it seems like the SD is much lower if the bar graph in the score report is accurate.

Looking back to the 2017-2018 cycle it looks like the comlex level 1 average was around 550 which equated to a score of 520 being around 38 percentile. Having scored at 520 this year I am just concerned that this could be another high average year. 520 last year and all cycles than 2017-2018 yielded 44-48 percentile respectively.

COMSAE D (2.5 months out): 513
COMBANK Assessment (1.5 months out): 701
COMBANK: 78%

COMLEX Level I: 605-610

Studied exclusively for Step with UFAPS material + Anki and treated COMLEX as an afterthought. My lowest section was OMM because I did very few OMM specific practice questions, only did TurnUp2OMT Anki deck. This score should be good enough for majority of former AOA programs, should I choose to apply to them so I’ll happily take it. See you awesome folks in the Level II thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
If the bar graphs on the score reports are accurate, it does looks like the average is higher this year. Unlike the 2017-2018 year however, the SD is less than HALF of what it was for their class meaning each point away from the mean is a bigger jump up or down in percentile. Using the SD and the mean of the 2017/18 takers, a 650 is only in the 83rd percentile while the score report from our tests would indicate a 650 is in the 99th percentile (assuming a normal curve). In reality I'm guessing the curve is more likely skewed to the right, so if you scored below the average your percentile drop might not be as dramatic.

If the bar graphs on the score reports are accurate, it does looks like the average is higher this year. Unlike the 2017-2018 year however, the SD is less than HALF of what it was for their class meaning each point away from the mean is a bigger jump up or down in percentile. Using the SD and the mean of the 2017/18 takers, a 650 is only in the 83rd percentile while the score report from our tests would indicate a 650 is in the 99th percentile (assuming a normal curve). In reality I'm guessing the curve is more likely skewed to the right, so if you scored below the average your percentile drop might not be as dramatic.
Jesus. This is what standardized exam means guys.

Last edited:
I think the average will drop. There’s only been like 2-3 score release cohorts this year with the new exam right? Way too few data points and I know like at least 1/3 of my class wasn’t in this last score release. The score report doesn’t even say what the average is or what your percentile is. just gives you a bar and you guesstimate lol. I know typically (not always) the weaker testers or those not scoring as high are more likely to push the test back so I suspect an average drop as later scores are released this year.

I think the average will drop. There’s only been like 2-3 score release cohorts this year with the new exam right? Way too few data points and I know like at least 1/3 of my class wasn’t in this last score release. The score report doesn’t even say what the average is or what your percentile is. just gives you a bar and you guesstimate lol. I know typically (not always) the weaker testers or those not scoring as high are more likely to push the test back so I suspect an average drop as later scores are released this year.
That's a good point about later test takers. I wouldn't be surprised if the mean, SD, and percentiles change significantly once everyone's scores are taken into account.

God this scoring is trash. How can a score in the high 600s be in the 90+ percentile but the range go to 999? It almost purposely uninterpretable.

Reactions: 4 users
God this scoring is trash. How can a score in the high 600s be in the 90+ percentile but the range go to 999? It almost purposely uninterpretable.

For the 1st and 2nd year DO students reading this, just take Step. Your career will thank you.

I got a 510

I know I passed, but I feel pretty terrible. COMBANK and COMQUEST practice tests predicted my score to be somewhere in the 620s. I don’t know what happened during the real deal.

Looking at the small amount of data they provided me, I just dont understand how a 510 is outside of one standard deviation. If I’m doing my math correctly, that would put my score below the 16th percentile. Crazy.

I got a 510

I know I passed, but I feel pretty terrible. COMBANK and COMQUEST practice tests predicted my score to be somewhere in the 620s. I don’t know what happened during the real deal.

Looking at the small amount of data they provided me, I just dont understand how a 510 is outside of one standard deviation. If I’m doing my math correctly, that would put my score below the 16th percentile. Crazy.
Combank and conquest are notorious overpredictors too. The exam sucks and there isn’t really a way to get a feel of where you’re at like there is for step. at least you passed though that’s the big thing

I got a 510

Yeah my combank assessment test that our school purchased predicted my score to be 691-701. Horribly over predicted. It was such an easy test. I can’t wait to laugh at it when my real score comes back. Can’t wait to see the difference...

Combank and conquest are notorious overpredictors too. The exam sucks and there isn’t really a way to get a feel of where you’re at like there is for step. at least you passed though that’s the big thing

For me and my studdy buddy, combank SA was within 5 points of our actual score.

For me and my studdy buddy, combank SA was within 5 points of our actual score.
Our school gave us absurd data. My buddy asked what past students have gotten on COMLEX with his pretty high COMBANK score (I'm guessing 650ish+) and the range was literally like 430 - 700. Its a complete crapshoot

Our school gave us absurd data. My buddy asked what past students have gotten on COMLEX with his pretty high COMBANK score (I'm guessing 650ish+) and the range was literally like 430 - 700. Its a complete crapshoot

I thought it was bad from what I saw during the actual test, but all the hard data I see says otherwise. Our school said 0.83 correlation to actual comlex score and from what I saw in our cohort it was pretty okay. That sounds like most likely a fluke though looking at all of your guys' input.

Last edited:
I thought it was bad from what I saw during the actual test, but all the hard data I see says otherwise. Our school said 0.83 correlation to actual comlex score and from what I saw in our cohort it was pretty okay. That sounds like most likely a fluke though looking at all of your guys' input.

For what it is worth, my COMBANK self assessment said I would score like 592-612. Scored 571 so not too bad of an over predictor. COMSAEs were more spot on for me personally. My 104 (taken 2 days before real deal) was a 564.

One of the faculty from our school gavee us some information today on specifics regarding COMLEX. I'll paste the relevant info below:

The current COMLEX 1 national mean is 548.25 with a standard deviation of 85.86 (this is based on 5597 exam takers). If you want to see what percentile corresponds to a certain score you can try using this calculator: Percentiles of a Normal Distribution

So it's fairly close to my prediction the other day of the average being 546 +/-40. I'm not sure if his data was based on ALL exam takers, or only those who passed. Mine was based on ALL takers, so the slightly higher average means his was probably based on those who passed.

For what it is worth, my COMBANK self assessment said I would score like 592-612. Scored 571 so not too bad of an over predictor. COMSAEs were more spot on for me personally. My 104 (taken 2 days before real deal) was a 564.
Just checked this out and the COMBANK was the most predictive for me as well. It had me pegged at 651-665 and ended up w a 682.

Took COMBANK 2 weeks before.

103 had me at 578 1 week before.

Yet again, strong work NBOME

Just checked this out and the COMBANK was the most predictive for me as well. It had me pegged at 651-665 and ended up w a 682.

Took COMBANK 2 weeks before.

103 had me at 578 1 week before.

Yet again, strong work NBOME

I felt like the COMBANK ASSESSMENT were so much easier. Shorter questions, more first order questions and less focus on micro or biochemistry. Barely any ethics questions. They also had like grouped questions with part 1/4 or whatever.

Maybe I just got unlucky and had more higher order questions, I don’t know...not sure if you felt this way as well.

85% on Combank SA1
90% on Combank SA2 a week later

They said my score would be in the 700 range. That said...
466 on 105
515 on 104
Real deal 508

Mad as hell about the combank assessments, I’m posting for people wondering who to trust and such. Go with the new COMSAEs to predict your score. If you know sketchy and Pathoma/Zanki like the back of your hand you will laugh at Combank, but it was very little help for me in the new blueprint trash. I guess good on them for writing an exam that actually gets at the core question of how well you test and not how hard you study. Admittedly I choked on a good 10-15 lay ups on my exam, which is eating me up inside.

Fighting hard not to sink into deep depression over it. Married with 4 kids, so much debt... Not reaching your goals is really hard when you have a fam counting on you.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
85% on Combank SA1

466 on 105
515 on 104
Real deal 508

Mad as hell about the combank assessments, I’m posting for people wondering who to trust and such. Go with the new COMSAEs to predict your score. If you know sketchy and Pathoma/Zanki like the back of your hand you will laugh at Combank, but it was very little help for me in the new blueprint trash. I guess good on them for writing an exam that actually gets at the core question of how well you test and not how hard you study. Admittedly I choked on a good 10-15 lay ups on my exam, which is eating me up inside.

Fighting hard not to sink into deep depression over it. Married with 4 kids, so much debt... Not reaching your goals is really hard when you have a fam counting on you.
Hey man you passed! Maybe your goals in skin pathology wont'be fulfilled, but trust me your family won't be financially deprived.

Hey man you passed! Maybe your goals in skin pathology wont'be fulfilled, but trust me your family won't be financially deprived.
Hey I sincerely appreciate the kind words. I keep trying to tell myself that. We lived on me working 80hrs per week at $10/hr for a decade, even on student loans my kids feel like life is pretty good. I thank God we’re making it through. Definitely more of a self-pity thing going on with being disappointed in myself, which I know I gotta shake.

Real point was to say don’t assume COMSAE is under predicting by 100+ points, cause that’s what I did after seeing my combank SAs.

Hey I sincerely appreciate the kind words. I keep trying to tell myself that. We lived on me working 80hrs per week at $10/hr for a decade, even on student loans my kids feel like life is pretty good. I thank God we’re making it through. Definitely more of a self-pity thing going on with being disappointed in myself, which I know I gotta shake.

Real point was to say don’t assume COMSAE is under predicting by 100+ points, cause that’s what I did after seeing my combank SAs.
Yes, I noticed that too. Comsae taken close to exam - is not underpredicting. There are category of students who scored more than comsae, but I feel like they are top 1/3 students and they avoided many traps like getting fatigued or stressed out on exam etc. For average Joe - it's better to be on safer side and stick to comsae score. We also have seen couple students who scored 50-60 points lower than comsae, but they are minority (only 2 on this thread). I suspect they also had hard times with timing and fatigue. Just my opinion.

My COMLEX was pretty fair, def micro heavy, about 50 WTFs but considering that's 1/8th of the test I'll take it. Mostly 1st order q's. The OMM was fairly easy. For OMM just did the truelearn q's and OMEOMT.

NBME 18 - 4/12 - 192
COMSAE 101 - 5/4 - 445
UWorld Sim 1 - 5/27 - 202
COMSAE 103 - 6/5 - 445
COMBANK - 6/5 - ~490
NBME 20 - 6/11 - 196
UWORLD - 6/15 - 59%
NBME 21 - 6/21 - 213
NBME 22 - 6/30 - 221
COMLEX - 7/6 - 545

One of the faculty from our school gavee us some information today on specifics regarding COMLEX. I'll paste the relevant info below:

So it's fairly close to my prediction the other day of the average being 546 +/-40. I'm not sure if his data was based on ALL exam takers, or only those who passed. Mine was based on ALL takers, so the slightly higher average means his was probably based on those who passed.
Do you happen to know where they got that info from or if we can look it up to see how it changes as other scores come in? Though the mean they said was very close to ours, the standard deviation is way off and that makes a HUGE difference in terms of percentile placement. It just has me questioning why our group had such a low SD.

85% on Combank SA1

466 on 105
515 on 104
Real deal 508

Right there with you. Our comlex scores are near identical.

What bugs me most is that I didn’t feel horrible after leaving the exam. I thought I got a good percentage correct. A lot of questions looked similar to those I practiced, minus some bizzare micro and obscure OMM videos.

COMSAE a week out undered me by only like 20 points.

Even though they are trash, I'd say take one a week before.

COMSAE a week out undered me by only like 20 points.

Even though they are trash, I'd say take one a week before.

Honestly, whats the point doing that the week before? I don't think it makes sense taking them at all, and if so, then as early as possible to get a base line.

I did it to see if I had to push it or not, school gave us one as a baseline months before

I did it to see if I had to push it or not, school gave us one as a baseline months before

Fair, thats probably the only reason to take a COMSAE or NBME just before the test. I always think it's so antisensical when the 260 USMLE candidates try to take "the most predictive" test just days before the exam.

This test has been a whirlwind. Goal was 580. I walked out of there thinking it went somewhere between fail and average.

Get an email saying I could retake it because of technical difficulties, decide not to because I don't have time and just hope I get an average score.

I checked my score last week to see a 491. Realized that I'm an idiot and was looking at my COMSAE score that I took at the beginning of dedicated. Ended up with 676, I'm not going to look again in case it changes.

Anywho, thanks to those who helped with advice and everything. It's been much appreciated.

UWORLD first pass: 72%

COMSAE: 491 (2 months out)

Free 120: 78% (5 weeks out)

UWORLD SA 1: 251 (3 weeks out)

Form 18: 218 (two weeks out)

UWORLD SA2: 234 (1 week out)
-did 3 UWORLD blocks before and 1 block after to build up endurance for the real deal

Step 1: 235

Crammed 2 days of savarese book and questions (my only osteopathic study) but my highest grades on school tests were in Osteopathic principles... so I was feeling okay about that stuff before going in.

Level 1: 676

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Hey wonderful people, I was going to ask if anyone can contribute (for future comlex takers) and draft a quick excell graph Comsae vs Comlex correlation line etc. We have about 30-40 valid data points in this thread alone, plus there's reddit too. It's not much, but I think it will show the trend and will be first such graph for new comlex. I appreciate your help!
If no one will do it, I'll do it myself later after my rotation ends, I'll have 2 days between rotations. Thank you so much.

Hey wonderful people, I was going to ask if anyone can contribute (for future comlex takers) and draft a quick excell graph Comsae vs Comlex correlation line etc. We have about 30-40 valid data points in this thread alone, plus there's reddit too. It's not much, but I think it will show the trend and will be first such graph for new comlex. I appreciate your help!
If no one will do it, I'll do it myself later after my rotation ends, I'll have 2 days between rotations. Thank you so much.

That sounds like work... if its not done by fall break i will attempt to do it. I'm in Gen Surg then OBGYN over the next 2 months though, so no time for that.

my time is pretty taken up right now. 50% family time, 30% school, 20% complaining about school on SDN.

• Haha
I'd happily contribute, but the only COMSAEs I took were at 6 and 4 weeks before the exam. I feel like that alone makes it near worthless from predictive value.

I'd happily contribute, but the only COMSAEs I took were at 6 and 4 weeks before the exam. I feel like that alone makes it near worthless from predictive value.

Yeah my comsae was 5 weeks out from my exam. Almost 200 point jump, but I had hardly studied

Hello! I'm new here- Made it a point before my exams to not do a ton of research about scores and their significance for residencies. Great for reducing stress, not so great for understanding how I did.. Anyone mind letting me know what's in and what's out of reach for me? Thanks in advance!

USLME: 235
COMLEX: 691

Happy to provide scores leading up to my exams as well if anyone is interested.

Hello! I'm new here- Made it a point before my exams to not do a ton of research about scores and their significance for residencies. Great for reducing stress, not so great for understanding how I did.. Anyone mind letting me know what's in and what's out of reach for me? Thanks in advance!

USLME: 235
COMLEX: 691

Happy to provide scores leading up to my exams as well if anyone is interested.
What were your comsae and UW% average 1st pass if you don't mind me asking? What would you say comlex was compared to UW in terms of difficulty and question stem length? What subjects were most represented on comlex for you? Thank you
You are good for any specialty (given you are not dead set on some location). The only limitations you'll have are a few top programs and some super competitive locations.

Also, COMBANK seems to put all the crappy low % correct questions at the end if you do the whole thing

if the question has a percent correct lower than random guessing, your question is dog****

correct me if im wrong: the reason i didn't ilke the SALT deck is that it doesn't show you the entire sketchy for Renal cancer (for example), and quiz you on one part of the picture.

instead it only shows you only specific part of the entire RCC sketch, and in the end, ends up having to memorize lots of diff pics--i think thats ok or a benefit? IDK,

correct me if im wrong: the reason i didn't ilke the SALT deck is that it doesn't show you the entire sketchy for Renal cancer (for example), and quiz you on one part of the picture.

instead it only shows you only specific part of the entire RCC sketch, and in the end, ends up having to memorize lots of diff pics--i think thats ok or a benefit? IDK,
It has a function where the entire sketch is visible at the end of each card. Some subjects it didn’t get added, but if you edit the deck and scroll to the bottom you’ll see a field where you can add stuff that shows up on every card and a field for “click here to see more” so you can add the full sketch in the every card field and snap in the parts of FA and Pathoma covered in that topic for “click here to see more”

Hope that makes sense. It’s a weird format, but it’s not hard to learn if you play around with it. The only thing I hate is if I want to add a Histo snap to one card I have to scroll through the whole deck to find that dumb card, you can’t search it in browse.

I would rather have my sphenoid forcefully dislocated by a hippo then paying the NBOME for these useless forms. Take an NBME or UWSA. Know your stuff there. Then don't suck at OMM (understand basic mechanisms and principals). I have not taken COMLEX yet though.
This is exactly how you should focus your time for these exams.

With an Emphasis on the "take a UWSA". NBOME and NBME practice exams are joke, focus on UWSA and then add in some OMM content.